Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
In the middle of 207: Immediately, I'm 99% sure that "Brooke Wheeler" doesn't exist and Jenna was catfished. Seems obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sammus posted:

Also What the gently caress Peter. The final dump could have been totally avoided if he didn’t send that text.
Pretty sure The Dump was Grayson's end game the whole time.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Lycus posted:

In the middle of 207: Immediately, I'm 99% sure that "Brooke Wheeler" doesn't exist and Jenna was catfished. Seems obvious.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:stare: :vince:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Laughing so hard at hot janitor

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

2:8 (Finished) As soon as Jenna's internship was introduced, I knew it would be something like it was fake or she just never went or whatever, but I did not expect the additional levels of twists. As with S1 this show is very tightly written and the main characters at least feel reasonably realized. Clever seed-planting that pays off later, etc. - great stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Haha, that's clever.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Nah, he would have known about it by knowing when Brooke was talking to Jenna. It's just not explained very clearly.

Oh yeah, you’re right. They don’t make it super clear it was happening that early, but I guess it’s in the dates they state.

Can I just say how much I love the opening titles of the second season? It’s so super-dramatic and totally in the style of these true-crime docs. It particularly reminds me of The Jinx. I was hoping that all the names in the credits would be kids from the first season, but only Ming (Ming! Ming!) sticks out. I thought it would be cool if the actors in the re-enactments were kids from the first season too, but I guess not.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One of the best parts of Season 1 was how the school kept pushing back until they literally forced them off the grounds. Seems odd that a private Catholic school obsessed with their image would allow filmmakers on their campus, especially given how much they tried to contain the turd burglar situation.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

One of the best parts of Season 1 was how the school kept pushing back until they literally forced them off the grounds. Seems odd that a private Catholic school obsessed with their image would allow filmmakers on their campus, especially given how much they tried to contain the turd burglar situation.

Yeah, there was that bit where they used Chloe as their proxy, they could've done more with that.

Just started 208: Oh my god, it's the guy that got expelled!

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 16, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I don't know if I think S2 was as good as S1 overall, but I think I liked S2 better just because of DeMarcus. Was expecting to dislike the guy at first but he really stole the show.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I feel like this season lacked Peter and Sam having a personal attachment to the case, which did hurt the final product. And I also thought Peter's final monologue was way too on the nose.

I agree; you barely see them this season. I hope the next one brings them back home for a final more personal case. Also, I would have loved an update of things for the characters of Season 1.

Overall I though this season wasn't as funny as season 1, but I enjoyed it a bit more. Also, I knew a kid like Kevin when I was in high school and now I feel bad that we all were such dicks to him back then.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sammus posted:

Also What the gently caress Peter. The final dump could have been totally avoided if he didn’t send that text.

I dunno. I don't think that going to the police with what they had would have immediately brought in a swat team on Grayson or anything. They would have had to fight potentially for days to get someone in the department to take them seriously, especially after they already had a confession. Realistically, they might have sent a cop over to ask Grayson a few questions, and that would have triggered the dump anyway. Peter sending the text message just expedited the story a bit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

208: "We bonded over the same critiques of Rick and Morty." Hahaha

And of course the Turd Burgler is a 4channer.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Can I just say how much I love the opening titles of the second season? It’s so super-dramatic and totally in the style of these true-crime docs. It particularly reminds me of The Jinx.

I had to go to Youtube to refresh my memory, but yeah, these credits were defintiely Jinx-inspired like the S1 credits were Making a Murderer-inspired.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 17, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

quote is not edit

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Narcissus1916 posted:

A lot of this season didn't seem to take place in the school by comparison it felt like, and none of the teachers/faculty were really helpful at all and often tried to get rid of them or give them nothing. Outside of Hot Janitor that is.

Plus the reason they were banned in Season 1 was releasing things as they went, and I don't think they did that this time around. It all got dumped at the end.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Narcissus1916 posted:

Out of universe, I think the writers were afraid of regurgitating the dynamics from the first season.

In universe, it's important to remember that the season exists in a world where the original series went viral. Presumably, the Administration at St. Bernadine's watched the show and saw how Hanover High School's attempts to shut down recording backfired spectacularly. To avoid a similar backlash, the school pretends to help Peter and Sam in public (by giving them physical access to the school) while undermining them in private (E4) (by refusing to let them interview senior administration officials and bribing/threatening potential witnesses).

(E8) Mrs. Wexler is only taken down by a (probably illegal) recording that exposes the discrepancy between the school's words and actions. In many ways, the St. Bernadine's behavior is reminiscent of how various Catholic dioceses have responded to the clerical abuse scandal, promising to assist investigators however they can while silencing the victims and destroying as much evidence as possible. The show itself seems aware of this similarity, with Sam commenting on Hot Janitor's relocation being like "moving rapey priests."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 17, 2018

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

It's Bellevue, Washington, though your point still stands. And yes, they didn't retread season 1's themes, or hot janitor would definitely have gotten fired from the school he transferred to for being a student's shroom hookup.

The opening credits also reveal the cameo we all knew would come, about 5 minutes into Ep. 8:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Is Oregon a one or two party consent state?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

BioThermo posted:

It's Bellevue, Washington, though your point still stands. And yes, they didn't retread season 1's themes, or hot janitor would definitely have gotten fired from the school he transferred to for being a student's shroom hookup.

The opening credits also reveal the cameo we all knew would come, about 5 minutes into Ep. 8:

Woof. Some wires must have gotten crossed in my brain there.

Lycus posted:

Is Oregon a one or two party consent state?

Oregon allows you to record phone calls and other electronic conversations if one party is aware of the recording, but requires that all parties be informed of recordings of in person conversations.

Washington, where this season actually takes place, is two-party consent.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 17, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Oh, I thought it was Oregon.

I kinda expected Whatever-Brooke's-Real-Name-Is to say "Oh, my roommate's home" and the camera turns and it's a speechless Christa.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 17, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

I feel like this season lacked Peter and Sam having a personal attachment to the case, which did hurt the final product. And I also thought Peter's final monologue was way too on the nose.

But goddamn, DeMarcus' final speech hit me hard.

:agreed:

Other than Sam's penchant for inappropriate questions they were total non-entities. I think this season had a stronger villain in Wexler than anyone in the first one, but without the personal connections there it's harder to get invested. I also think raising the stakes actually waters down a lot of the show's humor. The whole premise of doing an ultra-serious true crime documentary about something silly and inconsequential falls apart when you move on to something as hosed up as this.

Still pretty great. I loved Kevin's sad bag full of condoms

EDIT: "I could see the little gears turning in their heads"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Straight White Shark posted:

:agreed:

Other than Sam's penchant for inappropriate questions they were total non-entities. I think this season had a stronger villain in Wexler than anyone in the first one, but without the personal connections there it's harder to get invested. I also think raising the stakes actually waters down a lot of the show's humor. The whole premise of doing an ultra-serious true crime documentary about something silly and inconsequential falls apart when you move on to something as hosed up as this.

Still pretty great. I loved Kevin's sad bag full of condoms

EDIT: "I could see the little gears turning in their heads"

I went back and re-watched the first season, and you're right - it's the relative inconsequentiality of the vandalism that makes the whole thing work. The grim seriousness with which they dissected Sara Pearson's alleged handjob was particularly delightful, I thought. The characterizations this year were still really fun, though. I think for me the difference is that I grew up with plenty of Dylans but did not go to a rich-rear end prep school, so it was harder to relate.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Jason Sextro posted:

I went back and re-watched the first season, and you're right - it's the relative inconsequentiality of the vandalism that makes the whole thing work. The grim seriousness with which they dissected Sara Pearson's alleged handjob was particularly delightful, I thought. The characterizations this year were still really fun, though. I think for me the difference is that I grew up with plenty of Dylans but did not go to a rich-rear end prep school, so it was harder to relate.

I did go to a rich rear end (non-Catholic) prep school, and it was pretty spot on for me other than the obvious changes with social media, which was still in its MySpace/college Facebook infancy back then. The small community of privileged kids who’ve all been going to school together their whole lives felt right on though. I felt like I knew all these kids at some point in school (though there are definitely some prep school Dylans too). But I do agree a big part of why it’s a little less funny is that once you get past the visual humor of the initial incident, mass poisoning is a pretty serious crime and worthy of serious investigation vs Who Drew The Dicks.

That said, while it wasn’t as hilariously absurd as S1 I thought the writing was even better and the acting from everybody was outstanding. It accomplished the same thing of bringing me in laughing at something stupid and having me super seriously emotionally and mentally invested by the end. What a great loving series.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Maybe they can investigate the actual murder someone sent them next time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gaunab posted:

Maybe they can investigate the actual murder someone sent them next time.

At this point I'd still trust them

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

"Murder IS funny!"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Laughing so hard at hot janitor

"Dude changed the janitor game. "

DeMarcus is my goddamn hero.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

radlum posted:

Overall I though this season wasn't as funny as season 1, but I enjoyed it a bit more. Also, I knew a kid like Kevin when I was in high school and now I feel bad that we all were such dicks to him back then.

Mandrel posted:

That said, while it wasn’t as hilariously absurd as S1 I thought the writing was even better and the acting from everybody was outstanding. It accomplished the same thing of bringing me in laughing at something stupid and having me super seriously emotionally and mentally invested by the end. What a great loving series.

Just finished season 2 and agree with both of these. I think season 2 still had good laughs but I think stuff like the look at the psychology of forced confessions and social media makes this season more interesting.

I did 100% miss Alex Trimboli, though.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I wonder if Horsehead Collective has a soundcloud, I need some of that sick bass.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pussy Quipped posted:

I wonder if Horsehead Collective has a soundcloud, I need some of that sick bass.

Sorry, wrong number. Time to die.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Watched eps 2-4 last night and 5-8 tonight. I thought season 1 was great, but season 2 blew it away. Really, I just thought season 2 was a tighter and more interesting story; I recall thinking episodes 3 and 4 of season 1 were kind of draggy and repetitive.

I’m glad I was wrong in thinking Chloe was the TB from the first episode, when they mentioned she sure seemed to know a lot about the case!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo the Skip Day revelation in 206!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Everyone seems to end up better than they started but Lou really seems worse off. DeMarcus gets community service but he seems fine and Kevin gets a fresh start. Season 1 looked like it had more people get a negative reputation from the show.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

https://www.instagram.com/the.horsehead.collective

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They’re actually updating these in real time. The Turd Burglar account says he’s gonna strike in 3 days 3 days ago, I wonder if they’ll post new videos today

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: They did not have enough of the super Christian kid. Him going "God did not mean for us to bend that way" in the finale made me realize they just kept this awesome weapon in the holster most of the season.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I crazy or was one of the kids interviewed in the first episode Alex Trimboli's actor?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm really curious what they'll do for a season 3. It would be interesting to see Peter and Sam revisit some of their old investigations while/before tackling a new case. Especially given the potential fallout from Peter's actions in the finale.

I don't care about Dylan, I just want one more scene with Alex Tromboli

The major reason I liked season 1 more than season 2 was that season 1 had this constant tension between Peter as a citizen and Peter as an investigative journalist. I loved when he had to temper his sober observation with his actual reaction to the story – Pat Mickelwaite!?

As much as I love Peter and Sam, I think it might be for the better if the next season had some new kids trying to make their own American Vandal. Obviously this season didn't want to retread the old ground between the two of them, so you didn't really get much of their relationship in this one. It could be interesting seeing people take some good and bad lessons from Peter. Maybe they could cameo as consultants from Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Peter and Sam wreak a lot of havoc in this season, same as the first, and I think Season 3 could have a big turn built around that. It would be a good way to close the show out, because it's already getting stale. Season 2 rehashes the same sort of plot beats as Season 1, and while the finale bringing it all together is really good, I dunno if it makes up for everything else feeling very "paint by numbers". It's only the second season, I shouldn't already feel like I know exactly what threads won't pan out and when twists will happen.

• Locked thread