Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

This show contains real conversations about systems of privilege, casual sexism, and the phenomenon of false confessions. It also includes more poop than I've seen on television ever.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

(E5) The Gifts of the Lamb trip is the most perfectly "rich Catholic school" thing imaginable.

"Charity! Charity" *Instagram post of kids partying in a resort hotel with red solo cups*

Edit: Holy poo poo, those last two episodes. (E8) It says a lot about the quality of the show that it managed to turn mass defecation from comedy in the first episode to something horrible and tragic in the final one. I spent most of this season laughing at Kevin's desperation to seem smarter than he is, but the reveal that the Poop Burglar exploited his insecurities and ignorance hit me hard. I was terrified that either he or the diaper kid were going to commit suicide at the end of the season and am glad that he got a happy ending.

also, that's a lot of condoms.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 15, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Narcissus1916 posted:

One of the best parts of Season 1 was how the school kept pushing back until they literally forced them off the grounds. Seems odd that a private Catholic school obsessed with their image would allow filmmakers on their campus, especially given how much they tried to contain the turd burglar situation.

Out of universe, I think the writers were afraid of regurgitating the dynamics from the first season.

In universe, it's important to remember that the season exists in a world where the original series went viral. Presumably, the Administration at St. Bernadine's watched the show and saw how Hanover High School's attempts to shut down recording backfired spectacularly. To avoid a similar backlash, the school pretends to help Peter and Sam in public (by giving them physical access to the school) while undermining them in private (E4) (by refusing to let them interview senior administration officials and bribing/threatening potential witnesses).

(E8) Mrs. Wexler is only taken down by a (probably illegal) recording that exposes the discrepancy between the school's words and actions. In many ways, the St. Bernadine's behavior is reminiscent of how various Catholic dioceses have responded to the clerical abuse scandal, promising to assist investigators however they can while silencing the victims and destroying as much evidence as possible. The show itself seems aware of this similarity, with Sam commenting on Hot Janitor's relocation being like "moving rapey priests."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 17, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

BioThermo posted:

It's Bellevue, Washington, though your point still stands. And yes, they didn't retread season 1's themes, or hot janitor would definitely have gotten fired from the school he transferred to for being a student's shroom hookup.

The opening credits also reveal the cameo we all knew would come, about 5 minutes into Ep. 8:

Woof. Some wires must have gotten crossed in my brain there.

Lycus posted:

Is Oregon a one or two party consent state?

Oregon allows you to record phone calls and other electronic conversations if one party is aware of the recording, but requires that all parties be informed of recordings of in person conversations.

Washington, where this season actually takes place, is two-party consent.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 17, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

not really sure why netflix would cancel a peabody-winning critical darling with an almost non-existent budget but lol okay.

glad the show got to go out on a high note but frustrated that some netflix execs think they'll be able to transition fully to in-house productions

• Locked thread