Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The photography credit to Ming Zhang in the opening credits :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Finished the series. It's hard to compare it to first season, since the indictment of the inherent voyeurism of the true crime genre from S1 was surprising, while anyone coming into S2 is going to be expecting social commentary. I liked that they were able to go a different direction with the commentary, and it felt like there were fewer contrived coincidences (eg. Rafferty's trashed office, Mackenzie's 11th hour twitch video) to move the investigation forward.

If I'm critical of anything, it's that season 1 had a heavy emphasis on the impact of people's secrets being spread, to the extent where Peter gets admonished heavily by Sara Pearson in the final episode for airing her hookup list out for everyone to see. This season, it's like he learned nothing from that, and is happily engaged in journalistic overreach, even stating that he's trying to drive a wedge in between Lou and Demarcus. Hell, his text letting Grayson know the jig was up precipitated the entire final dump, and no one calls him out on how hosed up that was. It even resulted in a happy ending for Demarcus, and in the resignation of two corrupt teachers. I'm sure the writers didn't want to retread the same ground that was explored in S1 in favor of commenting on people masking themselves and the inherent loneliness that it brings upon us, but it made Peter and Sam feel less like genuine characters and more like storytelling devices.

I think I laughed harder this season, and I think there were better one-liners compared to before. I'm just disappointed that Pat Mickelwaith managed to be a running gag for the entire first season, while the contents of Drew's video only got introduced with about 30 minutes left in the final episode.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Lycus posted:

In the middle of 207: Immediately, I'm 99% sure that "Brooke Wheeler" doesn't exist and Jenna was catfished. Seems obvious.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

It's Bellevue, Washington, though your point still stands. And yes, they didn't retread season 1's themes, or hot janitor would definitely have gotten fired from the school he transferred to for being a student's shroom hookup.

The opening credits also reveal the cameo we all knew would come, about 5 minutes into Ep. 8:

• Locked thread