Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

how a mechanical computer calculates ballistic trajectories on-board moving ships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

captain disillusion with a very long and interesting dissection of flight of the navigator, with a lot of focus on the extremely early days of cgi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyixMpuGEL8

love the high tech/low tech mix. cutting edge (then) cgi for the ship, but then other shots are using christmas lights and a roll of cloud wallpaper for the sky reflections

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

in one of his (deleted?) videos he admits he votes for a racist political party because he "likes some of their ideas" and when called out on it he tried to justify it with the usual "the main parties are all the same so you have to teach them a lesson" or some poo poo to that effect

e: he also complains about snowflakes in his recent "i'm back" video

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Tim Hunkin has a second set of episodes of his Secret Life Of... youtube series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNnP84tTSFY

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Good Sphere posted:

going back to magnetic gears, i see US patents for them go far back as 1900, but are they widely used?

no. their strength is limited to the strength of the magnets rather than that mechanical strength of the materials like conventional gears, so you're probably going to have to use electromagnets, in which case just use a motor

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

A 1970 mechanical-optical machine for making engineering drawings (if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it)

https://vimeo.com/75532300

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

while we're doing typesetting, what if a typewriter were the size of a small car, full of asbestos, and involved a crucible full of molten lead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzilaRwoMus

and here's the day the New York Times stopped using them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGjFKs9bnU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

https://www.youtube.com/c/Izzzyzzz

deep dives into 2010s internet fads and drama you've never heard of unless you are <25 years old

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

I cannot listen to the EEVBlog guy. His voice is super irritating and his videos are 3x longer than they need to be because he can't stop waffling. Some of the teardowns are interesting if they're old gear, but often it's modern five-figure test equipment so the video is just him pointing at black rectangular ASICs for 30 minutes.

He's also kind of racist, and is REALLY into bitcoins despite claiming to be an environmentalist. He gives me the vibe of that annoying kind of nerd who thinks being really knowledgeable about one subject automatically makes him an expert in every less complicated (as judged by him) subject.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 30, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

To elaborate a bit... I don't think he's gone full chud. Most of what I've seen has been the kind of standard anti-Chinese stuff that's common in Australia, coupled with the usual techie view that everything Chinese must be poor quality fake poo poo (he constantly refers to Chinese products as "Wun Hung Lo" branded like it's hilarious, even though he's been making that exact same poo poo joke since his channel started). I recall him saying some things that raised my eyebrows in his podcast too, but I stopped listening to it years ago and don't remember the details. He's definitely made some really ignorant comments about things like brexit, and doubles down when anyone pushes back, but I'd put that down to the other problem I mentioned where he believes he's an expert on everything. Tbh he's probably more your standard libertarian-leaning techie know-it-all who has an opinion on everything and has said dumb things about subjects he doesn't understand.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 30, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

"standard anti-chinese stuff" is more than enough for me to quit watching him. and my ears thank me too

oh I agree, I wasn't trying to defend him (I just re-read what i posted yesterday and it maybe seems like i was making excuses for him). I suppose "chud" has a pretty specific meaning to me - the sort of trumpy, far-right, truth-denying kind of person - rather than the pervasive casual racism you get from people like dave

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 31, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Dijkstracula posted:

donno if this is strictly speaking educational, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzXWVpWG_Gs

Top 5 Most Viewed Japanese Manufacturing Process Videos in 2022

00:00 - The process of mass producing drums. Mass production plant in Japan.
10:37 - The process of mass producing screws. Japanese screw factory producing 400,000 screws per day
17:04 - Process of mass producing pencils. A factory specializing in pencils in Japan made by craftsmen
27:32 - Process of mass production of erasers. Japanese eraser factory that makes everything with erasers
37:30 - The process by which super-large aluminum castings are made. Old aluminum foundry in Japan

this is cool, but the complete lack of any ear protection is really putting me on edge

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 8, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

pseudorandom name posted:

you can watch a video you actually like and youtube will obsessively recommend things similar to that instead
i watched a retro gaming video once and now youtube thinks i want to watch 2 hour long videos of people discussing speed-running "controversies"

...also videos of carpet cleaning businesses for some reason

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

are we all sharing a youtube feed or something? because that popped up in mine today too, having never watch a single shoemaking video before

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

aeiou posted:

https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnsBasement is another pretty great retro computer building channel. His recent series on building a Z80 computer is pretty enjoyable. A little dry, but he does a great job walking through his process and helping you understand things.

this is a cool project but god drat that guy needs to learn to get to the loving point. so many of those hour+ videos could have been 10-15 minutes. i watched one that was 70% him just looking at wikipedia and reading out code comments verbatim

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

new Bobby Fingers

:moonrio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHi479xN_po

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

New Tim Hunkin series...

:toot:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

there's also Sunday School Dropouts - a podcast where two people go through the bible one book at a time and have a light-hearted talk about the content and the historical context.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

youtube should go back to showing a frame from the video as the thumbnail

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i'd rather see 25 blurry images not representative of the content than 25 identical thumbnails of people pulling faces

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

His other video about crazy russian antarctic vehicles is also worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6R-h06IsJw

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

they're one of the few readily available things that still use individual panels on a ladder-type chassis, so you start out thinking you're going to replace one rusty wheel arch and then it's "well it's just a few extra bolts to remove that other little bit too and then I can clean behind this..." and then the next thing you know the entire vehicle is dismantled into a pile of parts and you're getting quotes to have the bare chassis acid-dipped and powder coated.

you can also go down a real rabbit hole parts-wise because everything is so interchangeable even across 60 years of production, multiple body styles, a dozen engines, and three different wheelbases. you can even throw in range rover parts too if you're feeling fancy.

people never buy one land rover. they buy one, then another for parts, then another, then a range rover, then they can't bare to scrap three cars to fix one and end up restoring them all...

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 7, 2023

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

also have it serviced by someone who actually knows how it works rather than someone who just knows that "cranking adjustment bolt X will cover up problem Y"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

someone here posted something like "i will never watch a video where the thumbnail is someone with their mouth open", and i've been following that sometimes and don't appear to be missing anything

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Cold on a Cob posted:

also how open is open?

performatively open vs a natural expression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

https://www.youtube.com/@TheBadMovieBible

guy goes through genres one by one and reviews the better and the worst of all the knockoffs

bond, star wars, alien(s), terminator, martial arts, nightmare on elm street, jaws, superhero...

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 15, 2024