Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like imagine if apple just completely lost the plot a couple years down the line and totally ruined ios, made iphones even more lovely than androids

is there a point where you'd just say "gently caress this, i'm done" and go back to feature/dumbphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont use my phone for very much so i can work around most stupid poo poo, i just need a texting app and a good camera.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'd just buy an old SE from graph's stockpile

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes? how is this even a question

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i’s bust out my old BB curve for that sweet, sweet keyboard.

i actually had a dream that i had to do that just the other night. it was bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

like imagine if apple just completely lost the plot a couple years down the line and totally ruined ios, made iphones even more lovely than androids

is there a point where you'd just say "gently caress this, i'm done" and go back to feature/dumbphones

this happened like 5 years ago

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
omg, shaggar.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

don’t sign your posts

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
when they put the iphone camera in the iwatch op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

yes? how is this even a question

i guess i forgot to state the actual question of "what would that point be?"

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

unless i am waiting for something that takes over 20 mins i could give less of a poo poo about my smartphone. no one wants to see my funny pics or youtube vids irl and i really don't need to see theirs.

i mean its good to know that cameron mitchell was in frankenstein island when your friend insists he wasn't, but other than that really who cares?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
That was a few years ago. I needed to cut down on expenses and I found my smartphone pretty bad value for money.

Sometimes I miss the camera.

I do not miss the bad battery life.

Texting is even more awkward without a touch screen, so I just call people.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

if the scenario in op's post happens i would probably go ahead with my life's plan B of moving out to the middle of nowhere and just having some cows and horses on some land and sit on my porch drinking all day and not worrying about internet or funny computer

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

roboshit posted:

if the scenario in op's post happens i would probably go ahead with my life's plan B of moving out to the middle of nowhere and just having some cows and horses on some land and sit on my porch drinking all day and not worrying about internet or funny computer

no you won't

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

ill do it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
whoever is screwing with the stymie avatars, you’re confusing the hell out of me but it’s hilarious.

anyway, no op. I have made a phone. it is good. if it becomes bad, I will make a new phone and it will be good.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i would really miss encrypted texting instead of SMS, and actual usable calendar/notes apps (unlike the ones on my last dumbphone), and having to figure out some other way to do 2FA for things, but beyond that i could probably cope pretty easily

the main podcast i listen to is not really a "podcast" in the modern sense, they just also use podcast apps to distribute a daily show thats been going for decades, so id go back to downloading the daily MP3, splitting it into 2-minute pieces with 'mp3splt' and copying that to a ipod

one of the computational clusters i use only supports duo mobile push 2FA or a actual phone call in which (i presume) an automated voice reads you a code to enter, and i would not like having to answer a phone call every time i log in -- though if this was my only option i would deal with it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
when my 4s dies at last

it's still going strong, thankfully

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Stick Insect posted:

Texting is even more awkward without a touch screen, so I just call people.

T9 texting is like the best thing about dumbphones, you could text without ever looking at the screen and be 99% sure that you typed exactly what you meant to. also everyone hates it when you call them

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m continually impressed with how well touchy typing works on a drat smart phone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
lately I’ve noticed iOS is capitalizing common initialisms such as TGIF

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m continually impressed with how well touchy typing works on a drat smart phone

i'm loving atrocious at typing on a phone screen. i mess poo poo up all the time.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

yeah i can barely type as it is but on my phone i am much worse, also constanly putting misspellings and lowercase back in when pos posting is annoying

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it probably would be easier if your phone wasn’t the size of a paperback

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
anroid version 2 was a big downgrade from my walkman feature phone and I don't know if ill give that piece fo poo poo operations system another chance ever

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shaggar posted:

this happened like 5 years ago

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stymie posted:

it probably would be easier if your phone wasn’t the size of a paperback

if the keys were any smaller i'd be even more of a fuckup.

e: tricked by av shenanigans!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

i'm loving atrocious at typing on a phone screen. i mess poo poo up all the time.

We know.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ooh la la! look at mr. capitalization and punctuation!! wow, pleased to meet you your majesty!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

ooh la la! look at mr. capitalization and punctuation!! wow, pleased to meet you your majesty!

I know.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i'm game for returning to s60 but maybe not all the way to wap

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

suffix posted:

i'm game for returning to s60 but maybe not all the way to wap

my last pre-iphone was an e71; it was deece for email, text and phone but maps, camera, web browsing were wack plus all the apps were either flash garbo or cost like $30

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've legit never owned a smart phone

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
smartphones are capitalist gewgaws with the added benefit of being able to track you and serve you advertisements

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

smartphones are capitalist gewgaws with the added benefit of being able to track you and serve you advertisements

they also let me read your posts so its impossible to say whether they are good or not

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
There is no way they are letting us go back. You'd have to become the unibomber.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

aside from blowing people up the unibomber wasnt so bad

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've legit never owned a smart phone

what’s it like being so close to death that every morning when u manage to not die in ur sleep is a shock

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PyPy posted:

There is no way they are letting us go back. You'd have to become the unibomber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

roboshit posted:

what’s it like being so close to death that every morning when u manage to not die in ur sleep is a shock

I sleep secure

• Locked thread