Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Skim Milk posted:

aside from blowing people up the unibomber wasnt so bad

Never thought about it that way before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
he also pioneered the tiny house movement.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Salt Fish posted:

Never thought about it that way before.

im not condoning or endorsing but rereading his thing is an interesting revisit

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stick Insect posted:

That was a few years ago. I needed to cut down on expenses and I found my smartphone pretty bad value for money.

Sometimes I miss the camera.

I do not miss the bad battery life.

Texting is even more awkward without a touch screen, so I just call people.

people must hate you

nah, j/k they probably feel privileged to hear your voice

i feel privileged to read this

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

he also pioneered the tiny house movement.

is the movie Up at all related to what they did to it?

afaf

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

the alternative to smartphone is carrying music, gps (or maps), and a printed calendar around with me everywhere so no thanks cheif i'll be keepin my phone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Visual GNUdio posted:

the alternative to smartphone is carrying music, gps (or maps), and a printed calendar around with me everywhere so no thanks cheif i'll be keepin my phone

i’m going to propose something radical here that you likely haven’t considered: you don’t need to have those things with you at all times in all places

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i use google maps a lot. it’d suck to lose it. it’s also good to be able to access my music and podcasts whenever i please.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
another radical concept: you don’t need to be entertained every waking moment

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Stymie posted:

!!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stymie posted:

doing your best to make that true i see!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
go to your local university's main quad and watch 1 (one) class change

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

go build a cabin in the woods and pretend to live so much better and fuller than the mindless ants of society but then every weekend walk a mile home so your mom can cook for you and do your laundry

bonus points if 7th graders are taught your writings unironically in a few decades

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I guess to be more on topic give up your cell phone but once a week post an update on facebook about what amazing things you've learned

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yosposters are terrified that a moment’s solitude might force them to reflect on the inherent monstrousness of their chosen lives so having a personal distraction machine is essential

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i made it to 2016 before i got a smartphone and probably would have made it longer if it weren't for the fact that presenting texts as a series of discrete messages rather than as a chat channel is a really painful interface these days

i mean the tipping point was people sending pictures and my old dumbphone just giving up and refusing to parse them at all (and then being unable to delete them b/c you had to open them first before deleting, lol) but i'd been getting increasingly annoyed by texting going up to that point and it really has been a lot nicer in that regard since getting a smartphone

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i understand that, i made it until 2015 before accepting a hand me down of my wifes old iphone 5, partially to track buses in pittsburgh to get to work

also before then i was lamenting to a friend that nobody made a good dumpbhone anymore, my previous network-unlocked samsung dumb phone (cant remember model and dont feel like looking it up) was a fantastic phone, very well designed hardware, great software that performed fantastically

then at&t switched their network and i needed to get a new phone, switched to verizon and got a samsung intensity 2, and it was/is garbage in comparison

it fukcing lagged when scrolling through things, lovely badly-designed interface, it was absolutely awful

i was complaining "how the gently caress is this worse than my previous phone", friend commented that "who do you think designed that, and who designed your previous phone, your old one was designed before smartphones, when the good developers were making dumbphones, now team C or D (not even team B) are designing the dumbphones"

e: it was this: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_e900-1508.php

that was a delight to use

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 22, 2018

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

power botton posted:

go build a cabin in the woods and pretend to live so much better and fuller than the mindless ants of society but then every weekend walk a mile home so your mom can cook for you and do your laundry

bonus points if 7th graders are taught your writings unironically in a few decades

also start a huge forest fire trying to cook fish and then refuse to accept any blame because lightning starts forest fires sometimes too and anyway everyone looked like they were having a good time putting it out so idk

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
just get an old smartphone that's slow and apps don't work on it, so you don't get hooked, (and FB's tracking software doesn't work right)

but you can still check your email in a pinch and dont have to deal with non-threaded text messages and carry around a pda or w/e

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

graph posted:

im not condoning or endorsing but rereading his thing is an interesting revisit

it's interesting because it's the same points you hear from conservatives nowadays: "leftists are ruining the world, political correctness running rampant, feminists are illogical!", I was legit surprised

but it's not interesting in the way you're implying, because it's ostensibly just that. Manhunt: Unabomber had a way too generous reading of his manifesto.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
yes I wasted my time skimming over the unabomber manifesto, I'm here to warn you guys

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lysidas posted:

i would really miss encrypted texting instead of SMS, and actual usable calendar/notes apps (unlike the ones on my last dumbphone), and having to figure out some other way to do 2FA for things, but beyond that i could probably cope pretty easily

the main podcast i listen to is not really a "podcast" in the modern sense, they just also use podcast apps to distribute a daily show thats been going for decades, so id go back to downloading the daily MP3, splitting it into 2-minute pieces with 'mp3splt' and copying that to a ipod

one of the computational clusters i use only supports duo mobile push 2FA or a actual phone call in which (i presume) an automated voice reads you a code to enter, and i would not like having to answer a phone call every time i log in -- though if this was my only option i would deal with it

lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'd be fine with a regular phone that could do email tbh.

wait that's a blackberry, oh no.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

id be fine with a regular phone that could read the forums

richard release the awful phone

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

jk the iphone se already exists

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

sucks edition

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

quad damage

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Skim Milk posted:

jk the iphone se already exists

your fukked m8

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

President Beep posted:

your fukked m8

:greencube:

my se is pink :blush:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Skim Milk posted:

aside from blowing people up the unibomber wasnt so bad

he had good reasons though. sometimes to make a change people have to die.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

he had good reasons though. sometimes to make a change people have to die.

agreed, comrade

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

unibomber was yospos as gently caress

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
yet another failed artist turned mass murderer... if only oklahoma office workers listened to his accordion songs...

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

yes I wasted my time skimming over the unabomber manifesto, I'm here to warn you guys

I wouldn't say that it is the usual right-wing propaganda. It is definitely worth a read.

I think the parts of his article you are objecting to, in which he psycho-analyzes the archetype of the ivory tower intellectual, probably comes from personal annoyance at his neighbors and coworkers at his first academic job at UC Berkeley.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cheque_some posted:

just get an old smartphone that's slow and apps don't work on it, so you don't get hooked, (and FB's tracking software doesn't work right)

but you can still check your email in a pinch and dont have to deal with non-threaded text messages and carry around a pda or w/e

lol i had a phone like this once, the problem with this theory is that you assume the phone and text apps won't also be unusable garbage

the thing would hard lock regularly when RECEIVING CALLS

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
if android and iphone die we can always go back to the windows phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I've already given up on owning a nice one. Probably in a few more years I'll give up on them all-together.

• Locked thread