Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Introduction
Arena is the game that began the iconic Elder Scrolls franchise, created by Bethesda Softworks and released in 1994 for MS-DOS. While it's still a first person open world RPG, it's quite different than its more popular successors such as Morrowind and Skyrim. The game relies heavily on procedurally generated content, though there are still some hand crafted elements to be found in towns and certain dungeons. It also features one of the largest explorable world spaces in video game history, though it is not connected like the majority of the lands in other Elder Scrolls games. The gameplay mostly consists of hacking and slashing monsters to bits in various dungeons, but there is a story to tie everything together as well as spells, thieving, and NPC interactions. The game begins with the current emperor being betrayed and locked away in an alternate dimension by one of his imperial battlemages, Jagar Tharn.

The dashing hero of our story:

About the Playthrough
I got into the Elder Scrolls games starting with Oblivion. I also played a little of Morrowind either a bit before or around the time of Oblivion's release. I can't quite recall. Like most other people I enjoyed Skyrim quite a bit, though usually with mods. However, I've never finished the main story in any Elder Scrolls game. Since I like retro games quite a bit, I've been wanting to go back and play through the older titles and actually finish the newer ones. I've done a fair bit of research about Arena and have played a little, but I haven't touched much of the main quest. I'll probably end up sticking mostly to the main story, though I do want to do some additional exploration here and there, just to see what I can find. Since there's no Arena playthrough in the master list, I figured I'd do a thread about it for people who are curious about the series' roots. If you've played the game before and have any tips on stuff to try or look for, I'm open to suggestions. Note that I'll probably be recording at least a couple episodes ahead usually, so I may not be able to act on advice immediately.

As a fun extra, the music in this playthrough will be generated by a real Yamaha MU50 MIDI device. The game itself will be emulated via DOSBOX.

Episodes

Series Playlist

It's video games. Every day...ish.
http://www.youtube.com/rojovision
http://www.twitch.tv/rojovision

rojovision fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Images
The game isn't completely hideous, but it hasn't aged spectacularly in the graphics department, in my opinion.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 11, 2019

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
reserved

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 0 - Exordium

This is an introduction to the game, sort of going over some similar stuff from the main post. We also take a look at the game's intro sequences and make our character.

Episode 1 - A Dank Dungeon Indeed

With Ria's assistance we must make our escape from the imperial dungeon, now overrun with rats and goblins...but not before finding some treasures to equip ourself with.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Ah yes, the noble high elves of Somerset.

Also, ESDF? I don't know how to feel about that.

You should feel grateful :smugbert:. ESDF is where your fingers belong on a keyboard...WASD was just a setback.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

extra row of teeth posted:

Glad to see you doing this! Arena is one of those games where most of the Youtube LPs are either lovely or incomplete and I loved your Anvil of Dawn LP.

Thanks. I miss Anvil of Dawn...that was a really fun game. Hopefully Arena has some cool things in store as well.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 2 - Making Preparations

Adventuring responsibly means being prepared, which in our case specifically means spending some quality time with the spell maker and buying some armor we can actually wear. Before returning to dungeoning, we begin to seek out an artifact that will greatly aid us in our future quests.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

inscrutable horse posted:

You mentioned Legends of Valour being an influence in the intro video, a game that I had almost completely forgotten. It's not a very good game. Some might even say it's a bad game. I'd say it's an awful game. It's that particular kind of awful, that even my remote home of the Faroe Islands, a tiny country that was about 10 years behind the rest of Europe electronics-wise, the game was relegated to the absolute-garbage-bargain bin almost upon release. My brother picked it up for me, when our family got our first computer (a 286) in early '93. Try as we might, we never got understood what the hell we were supposed to do - the game and its mechanics were opaque, even by the standards of the day.

That's interesting. I'd like to at least try as many dungeon crawlers from around the DOS era of games as I can, but since LoV is perhaps pretty bad maybe I'll be able to find a physical copy on the cheap. I imagine I could download it for free from various websites as well since it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the game is basically abandonware at this point. Or maybe it'll show up randomly on GOG...who knows?

Olesh posted:

Keen eyed viewers might notice that the magical torc he picked up and equipped as his very first piece of loot gave him a -5 bonus to his armor rating everywhere. There are four "accessory" slots, that provide a passive effect - bracelets, belts, torcs, and amulets. These either provide an armor rating bonus (up to a maximum of -5) or a bonus to a stat. The sticker price on that Ebony Torc is 25000 GP, so the very first piece of random treasure rojo found is one of the most valuable and useful items in the game.
If your class cannot use or wear an item, it will never appear on the buy menu in shops.

I figured that torc was pretty good but I didn't realize how good. Quite a lucky find so early, and as my first piece of loot as well. In my testing I had found a bunch of dwarven / elven quality torcs I think. That bit about the shops is good to know. Next time I'm recording and have to do a little shopping it'll be easier knowing that anything I can buy, I can use, save weapons apparently.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 18, 2018

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Olesh posted:

I got around to watching the second video, and I can't help myself. There are a few ways to spend money in this game, and the choice. Is. Yours.

When making anything in the spellmaker, per-level effects are tremendously more efficient than fixed effects. Due to the way cost scales, you can eventually make spells whose costs scale down to 0 and are completely free to cast. Some spells just aren't worth making until you're higher level and can take advantage of level scaling/cost reduction. Spells with an AOE centered on you can't hit you, but you can hit yourself with any AOE spell you launch, so ranged AOE spells tend to be a liability on top of being very expensive. Create Shield spells don't expire over time, only as you absorb damage.

As a caster, you will want to maintain an incredibly healthy supply of Potions of Restore Power for dungeon dives, as resting is generally unsafe. Each restores 25 magicka at the cost of 75 gold pieces

Cool, I do want to revisit the spell maker, but I might not do so immediately. I know I can get some offensive magic via marks, etc, but I also want a couple spells in my book just in case, even though they're twice as expensive for a healer. Those pots really don't give much magicka considering my theoretical cap of 200. Still, I agree I should get more, and probably will before the next dungeon.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 3 - Parchment Leads to Parchment

We put some of the new spells we made to use, and continue exploring the depths of the Dungeon of Noruvor in search of the map that leads to the Oghma Infinium.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 4 - Knowledge Is Power

Using the map we found previously, we enter the dungeon containing the Oghma Infinium.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 5 - Fang Lair Where?

Now that we've gained what we can from the Oghma Infinium, we experience the seedier side of city life, and turn our attention to rescuing the emperor.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 22, 2018

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

AltaBrown posted:

link leads to episode 4

Whoops sorry about that. Should be fixed now.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 6 - Remnants of Stonekeep

We begin to explore Stonekeep, and the game quickly shows us that it's done pulling punches.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 7 - Fang Lair Revealed

We explore further into Stonekeep and discover the location of our next target - Fang Lair.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 8 - Searching for a Staff Piece

With a few new spells in tow, we finally make it to Fang Lair, which happens to be an abandoned dwarven ruin that once housed some sort of vast mining operation.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 9 - The Guessing Game

I am not good at riddles, and this is proof.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 10 - Hammerfell Wilds

We take a bit of time to explore the world outside the cities of Hammerfell.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - A Frosty Reception

We seek out the Labyrinthian and are directed, somewhat under prepared, to the Fortress of Ice, which is held by some dastardly knights.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 12 - Fortress Barracks

We return to the Fortress of Ice better prepared for the challenges ahead.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

inscrutable horse posted:

According to the wiki, you can press shift+c to cast the previous spell.

Ah, cool. I probably rebound it when I was dicking around with all the other keybinds so I'll check it out next time I record.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

Just dropping plate armor on the ground? Give a boot, don't pollute. :colbert:

It's fine...Nilliven's got a crew of unpaid interns just off screen that make sure all his spare loot piles get donated to Chosen Ones Without Borders once he leaves the area.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - Locating Labyrinthian

Our inventory overflowing with loot, we delve deeper into the Fortress of Ice to acquire the stolen tablet piece for Thelen Kaarn.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 14 - Tale of Two Brothers

We do a bit of shopping in the nearby towns and then enter Labyrinthian, only to be greeted with an unexpected story.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - Riddles, Three

We make an effort to solve the riddles of Labyrinthian in order to acquire the second piece of the Staff of Chaos.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

BattleCattle posted:

I caught up! I’ve wanted to play this ever since I got out of college, but I don’t have a computer. Thanks for showin’ this off, bub! It’s improved my quality of life!

Sure thing. Glad you're enjoying it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - Skyrim Wilds

Second piece of the Staff of Chaos in hand, we take some time to explore outside the cities and towns of Skyrim, as well as determine where we need to go next.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 26, 2019

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 17 - A Sticky Situation

The elves of Valenwood have a serious problem that goes by the name of Selene. She likes spiders and undead. Maybe even undead spiders, if such a thing exists.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - Stolen Heart

We make our way down to the second level of Selene's Web and are confronted with mazes and monsters.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - To Elden Grove

We finish up our exploration of Selene's Web and get a small glimpse of Elden Grove, a dungeon that seems to offer a very different aesthetic from what we've seen so far.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - The Mist Has Eyes

We explore deeper into Elden Grove, but many foes stalk its grounds unseen, and the grove seems to have a mind of its own.

This has definitely been my favorite 'dungeon' so far, and I can easily imagine how incredibly atmospheric it could feel in a modern Elder Scrolls game.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - Valenwood Wilds

We adventure into the wilderness of Valenwood, and have an opportunity to experience the sunset.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 22 - The Infinium Resurfaces

The Infinium reappears in Tamriel, and we must seek it out to gain yet more power.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 23 - Feeling Lucky

We travel to High Rock and search for the Infinium once again.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 24 - The Temple of Agamanus

A temple of warrior priests has attacked a mage's guild in Elsweyr, taking a stone tablet that the mages unearthed and claiming it was stolen from them.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 25 - The Temple's Lower Levels

We continue to search the temple, with some unfortunate difficulty.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Unfortunately my current graphics card is in the process of dying. I have a new one on the way, but I might not get another Arena video out until this weekend. Just wanted to let you guys know.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 26 - Magickal Remodeling

We use our wits and a bit of magic to defeat the temple's final challenges.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 27 - Roaming the Halls

Having become quite wealthy, but only barely better equipped over the course of our recent adventures, we make our way to the Halls of Colossus to locate the fourth staff piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 28 - Counting Keys

We continue searching the colossal Halls of Colossus for the six keys we require.