Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yuu ascending to new heights of good girl every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought this was kind of neat to see side by side: https://twitter.com/terako219/status/1054031919799721985

I wonder why they moved this scene outside the store. I could see it being anything from wanting to show Touko being nervous about going in to just liking the framing better or any number of explanations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Workmanlike episode today - adaptation's still solid, just a bit more awkward material this week. Was initially hoping they'd compress this material a little bit, but looking back over the manga I can see why they didn't. There's enough setup and character work happening here that there's really not any obvious places to just skip anything, and I don't know how much they reasonably could have compressed into one episode while still reaching a sensical stopping point. Looks like we're on pace to finish the volume and hit probably my favorite scene from the manga in episode 6.

Also, the anime added a small plot detail in the first half of the episode that wasn't in the manga - see if you can spot it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd agree it was a mostly workman like episode except for a really great bit of directing and animation when Maki confronted Yuu about the kiss and Yuu thought about Touko. Just well framed and really great Sakuga

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Quiet, sweet episode this week. Glad they got an opportunity to work in some of my favorite bonus chapters. Look forward to next week, it oughtta be a killer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adventures of the densest person to ever live continues

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Book joke at the start of the episode had an amazing pay off

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm... mildly disappointed about this overall to be honest. It's not bad but I hoped for a bit more. :(

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Book joke at the start of the episode had an amazing pay off
Yes it's great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/YagateKiminiNaru/comments/9tsf3e/bloom_into_you_radio_03_november_1_makis_va/

Latest radio show is translated, aired after episode 4. Next one should air just before episode 7 and get translated a little bit after. Maki's VA joins the melee today. Other highlights include a breakdown of the deep symbolism at play in the menu items available at the cafe doing a Bloom Into You event.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://seiyuuplus.wordpress.com/2018/11/05/195-yagate-kimi-ni-naru-kayano-ai/

Seiyuu blog translated an interview with Sayaka’s seiyuu, AI Kayano. Good stuff in here, but manga spoilers are discussed freely, so click with caution.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Friend recommended me a couple of manga series to get into yuri (Wife and Wife was one of them) and I had heard good things about this show so I decided to add it on to the heap of stuff I'm already watching this season.

Holy poo poo I love this show. Such a ridiculously cute couple. Nanami squeeing out at the photo was great.

Also, ED is up there as one of my favs. Apparently it's based on a phone case which looks pretty snazzy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Got a rough translation of a recent interview with Nakatani here: https://mellyisbored.wordpress.com/...nios-interview/

The interview primarily concerns the manga, so big spoiler warning, but a few safe highlights that I found interesting:

-Nakatani came up with the character of Touko first, then invented Yuu as her partner back when the manga was in its earliest conception. Nakatani envisioned Touko as an 'unmanageable' girl and Yuu as a heroic character who would want to help that unmanageable girl.

-Nakatani made an early point of choosing to put the focus much more heavily on character drama rather than the broader obstacles to romance between girls.

-Nakatani considers an important theme of the story to be 'people change - but they don't change quickly.' She also expresses a personal distaste for the idea of a person having one singular 'true self' that they can divorce from how they might choose to present themselves outwardly at any given moment.

-The manga is 'perhaps' about 80 percent complete as of the end of Volume 6.

-Nakatani has been heavily involved in the production of the anime, relative to most manga adaptations. She's been participating in screenplay meetings, supervising dubbing, character design, and even occasionally offering details on storyboards and fine details. She's also been writing in incidental details like text message exchanges that the manga initially left in more vague terms.

-Nakatani is quite high on both director Makoto Kato and screenplay writer Jukki Hanada.

-And here's one answer I'll just quote verbatim.

quote:

– Please let tell us the highlights of the 4th episode and onward.
Nakatani: Up to the 3rd episode, Yuu & Touko’s relationship is established for the moment. Because Yuu doesn’t think of Touko as someone special, it’s clear that Touko loves Yuu for that reason. Even though Yuu can’t think of anyone else as special, she is accepted by Touko. It’s a win-win relationship between them. However, I would like you to pay attention to on whether this relationship can continue as it is. Since in the 3rd episode, there is an unsettling monologue, if you could watch over them nervously on whether the two can stay as they are or not. While that’s that, there are plenty of delicious yuri scenes. All of the cast have truly acted the lines with a nice feeling to it (laughs). I myself am very much enjoying it, so please enjoy it along with me.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 8, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/yagakimi/status/1060441796860293120

Ei Aoki pulled to do storyboards and I think direct episode 6. Veteran guy, one of Troyca's founding members, directed Fate/Zero and Wandering Son, among others - though I haven't had occasion to watch any of his stuff before. Excited to see what he does tomorrow. Between his very senior status at Troyca and the importance of tomorrow's material, I expect the show's best effort yet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I got spoiled about the big stuff next episode so I read ahead a couple of chapters and whoo boy I can't wait to see that animated and soundtracked.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1060704223011188736

Sakuga blogger finally got around to giving the show a look, has a thread of light production notes. A nice read if you're like me and like to dig into the production side of things a bit more.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motherfucking excellent episode today, slam-dunk-delivered on maybe my single favorite scene in the entire manga to date. Be sure to stay after the credits. Also beware the HiDive subs, makes a couple of small but weighty errors that really fog up the context. Strongly recommend using Asenshi's subs instead with this one, or at least taking a look at the Seven Seas or 4S translations of the last chapter of Volume 2 to get a better TL.

Yuu promising Touko 'I can't fall in love with you' instead of 'I won't fall in love with you' is fairly inconsistent with what we've seen of her inner feelings to this point, to say nothing of what comes later IMO - and a more critical error is in the post-credits, where Touko says "If Yuu were ever to change, I wouldn't love her any more" instead of doing what every manga TL I've ever seen does and translating it as "If I were ever to change, people would stop loving me." Really incensed at that one tbh - where the manga TL emphasizes that Touko, on a fundamental level, does not see herself as worth loving and is terrified of accidentally driving Yuu away, the HiDive subs make it look like she's some creepy posessive weirdo who's conciously, deliberately attempting to ensnare Yuu somehow - reflects awfully on her as a character based solely on a stupid subject change.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I... totally failed to pick up on all the visual symbolism in that scene when reading the manga. Wow. :stare:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

I... totally failed to pick up on the visual symbolism in that scene when reading the manga. Wow. :stare:

Which bit? The stepping stones?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes. The whole Nanami walking forwards leaving Yuu behind too scared to take the step, self reflection(?) and then both meeting each other in the middle. Unless I got it all wrong. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Yes. The whole Nanami walking forwards leaving Yuu behind too scared to take the step, self reflection(?) and then both meeting each other in the middle. Unless I got it all wrong. :v:

It's so loving good. All the stuff with the steps was present with the manga, but the adaptation did a great job with it and added the play with reflections. Good poo poo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Motherfucking excellent episode today, slam-dunk-delivered on maybe my single favorite scene in the entire manga to date. Be sure to stay after the credits. Also beware the HiDive subs, makes a couple of small but weighty errors that really fog up the context. Strongly recommend using Asenshi's subs instead with this one, or at least taking a look at the Seven Seas or 4S translations of the last chapter of Volume 2 to get a better TL.

Yuu promising Touko 'I can't fall in love with you' instead of 'I won't fall in love with you' is fairly inconsistent with what we've seen of her inner feelings to this point, to say nothing of what comes later IMO - and a more critical error is in the post-credits, where Touko says "If Yuu were ever to change, I wouldn't love her any more" instead of doing what every manga TL I've ever seen does and translating it as "If I were ever to change, people would stop loving me." Really incensed at that one tbh - where the manga TL emphasizes that Touko, on a fundamental level, does not see herself as worth loving and is terrified of accidentally driving Yuu away, the HiDive subs make it look like she's some creepy posessive weirdo who's conciously, deliberately attempting to ensnare Yuu somehow - reflects awfully on her as a character based solely on a stupid subject change.

Yeah, I read the manga version recently and that translation really made me go ???

Agree on the absolutely beautiful episode, though. That metaphorical train syncing with an actual train, drat. The recut ED was also really good IMO.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Perhaps the best directed episode of the lot with some neat reflection and framing tricks. Also drat the end scene

Probably will switch to non HIDIVE subs though and just have the HIDIVE in background when I granblue though

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I couldn't help myself and read the manga. I really really really hope that we get a season 2 so that we can see the play and Yuu's confession. I have the feeling that this season will end on the aquarium date.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wait so Touko want's a distant Yuu that she can never actually have a real romantic relationship with? That seems pretty unhealthy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait so Touko want's a distant Yuu that she can never actually have a real romantic relationship with? That seems pretty unhealthy.

Minor manga spoilers about stuff that might be self-evident: Touko has an extremely low self-esteem and basically says that "she can't love someone who loves someone that she hates (i.e. herself)". So yeah, it's pretty unhealthy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Correct. Touko fundamentally does not value herself at all, and is terrified of being loved because she assumes that she's too much of a failure and a fuckup (particularly in comparison to her dead sister) to sustain whatever it was that might cause someone to love her in the first place. She fell head-over-heels for Yuu because she believes that Yuu, theoretically being unable to fall in love with her, has no expectations of her and is uniquely capable of forgiving all of what Touko perceives as her many failings. So, Touko assumes, if Yuu were ever to fall for her for real, it would only be a matter of time before Touko hosed up and lost that love.

This is all, of course, intensely loving sad, which is why we're learning about it at the end of volume 2 of a manga that's currently on its seventh volume. The interplay between Touko's desperate fear of being loved, Yuu's desire to be the sort of person who can help Touko move past it, and Yuu's growing worry that she's not going to actually be able to keep that promise she made to not fall for Touko is the source of basically all the story's dramatic momentum going forwards. I personally find all this intensely compelling - I can see a not-insignificant amount of my own neuroses in Touko, tbh.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 10, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Manga stuff: At least the way that they manage to work through Tokou's issues turned out really well thanks to Yuu's help. Shame it's probably not going to be adapted this season. But hey, everything's hunky dory for Tokou and Yuu now :v:

... until that loving second bridge scene :ohdear: I just want these two to be happy dammit :negative:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakuga blog has a few more production notes in this thread, since this was a standout episode.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1061361476991115267

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/stalkeralker/status/1061452029967519744

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2018/11/12/the-flower-language-of-bloom-into-you-sayaka-koyomi-and-akari/

First in a two-part series breaking down the symbolic meaning of the flowers associated with each character in the OP in context with what we know from what's aired thus far, second to come soon. Pro-click, Emily Rand's stuff is always really good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AJtheFourth/status/1062722162690310144

And part two. All good stuff here, you can tell the staff was thinking very carefully about the characters when they put the OP together.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/kusunoki_AMW/status/1062980720585400320

Episode preview is up. I hope you all learn to love Sayaka this week.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hooray, Sayaka episode and more cafe lady. I hope the Sayaka prequel LN they announced will get a translation some time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I went into this episode with fairly modest expectations in terms of production after I heard it was outsourced to another smaller studio (as was episode 5, incidentally), but today might actually have been my second favorite ep so far, behind episode 6. I thought the storyboards and cinematography were just fantastic throughout. This is also, incidentally, the first time I've really noticed the anime's scripts making any changes to the source material. Nothing earthshaking, just reordering some things in a way that made a lot of sense after watching (Sayaka initially told Miyako about her failed relationship with middle-school senpai during their talk, rather than just declaring it to the audience in the cold open) and working in a bonus chapter from volume 2 I wasn't sure we were going to hit - that was the bit with Touko asking for Sayaka's help turning down a girl's confession.

Very, very strong episode, I continue to be delighted with how consistently strong this show is. Everyone please give Sayaka a hug.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://greatpassage.wordpress.com/...aRu9V0TiCxvu1iE

Pretty in depth summary of the Sayaka prequel LN here, shouldn’t spoil anything past today’s episode.

Good poo poo, hope it gets a proper translation some day.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Please let something good happen to Sayaka eventually. :smith:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I hope Sayaka finds a girl that will love her a lot that isn't Touko and I've rarely wished that for the third member of a romance triangle

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

She should find someone else. Maybe ask Yuu to set up a blind date with one of her friends. :v:

I really liked the moment where Sayaka noticed what the teacher was up to.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've been really enjoying the show up til now, but I adored episode seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This show is really good.

https://twitter.com/PedanticRomantc/status/1064679130820620288