Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Metalshark posted:

I wonder if they'll have Claudia snap out of her father's spell/desire for family or if she'll even become the new Viren?

Given that she resurrected Viren at the end I suspect she's gone full heel. Have we seen any indication that she'd know how to do that or has Aaravos swapped hosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Azhais posted:

Given that she resurrected Viren at the end I suspect she's gone full heel. Have we seen any indication that she'd know how to do that or has Aaravos swapped hosts?

Re: Claudia S3: It struck me as the same principle as when she healed Soren's back. That did one lock of hair, whereas resurrecting Viren turned around 40% of her hair white. Her reaction to Aaravos' cocooning implies to me that he didn't help, but I dread to think where Claudia got all that magical juice from... near a battlefield of magical people & creatures in a magical land. :eek:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Metalshark posted:

Re: Claudia S3: It struck me as the same principle as when she healed Soren's back. That did one lock of hair, whereas resurrecting Viren turned around 40% of her hair white. Her reaction to Aaravos' cocooning implies to me that he didn't help, but I dread to think where Claudia got all that magical juice from... near a battlefield of magical people & creatures in a magical land. :eek:

If you look very carefully at the background of that scene you can see some poor bastard's foot. She dragged someone else still alive off the battlefield once she'd gotten Viren's body somewhere safe - and look at the state of the crown in that scene too, it wouldn't have been a pretty sight - and drained the life out of them.

Claudia has not had a good time this season and I'm sad :smith:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Metalshark posted:

Finale spoilers: I wonder if they'll have Claudia snap out of her father's spell/desire for family or if she'll even become the new Viren?

I suspect that when Claudia gives up on her dad, it won't be to be a better person. I think Viren will hesitate at some point, and she'll have none of it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, the short version of explanations is going to be that the whole situation didn't make a whole lot of sense because they had to rush that storyline. The idea of four whole nations trying to physically attack a fifth one because it won't go to war alongside them is bonkers enough in the first place that it could have housed its own entire season. Ezran abdicates so that his soldiers won't have to fight, except that the only reason Prince Whathisname wanted to attack Katolis is because he wants those soldiers to fight for him (again, still bonkers) so of course they end up fighting anyway. And then the majority of them actually do this for some reason, despite the fact that their King's new buddy was gonna try to kill them all...like, five or six hours ago?

It's a real shame because Ezran's whole "Each one of these pieces represents a hundred real people with real families and lives" was actually really great and encapsulates the depths of his character. Except that then most of those soldiers end up being depicted as voiceless lemmings who just do what they're told anyway. I get that they tried to ameliorate that impression by having some of the army refuse to fight for Prince Whatever and then later show up to help their true king, but to be honest that should by far have included the majority of Katolis' soldiers and not a mere fraction.

Bonus points for no one calling out Viren for his last act as a free man being murdering Katolis soldiers by the truckload

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Bonus points for no one calling out Viren for his last act as a free man being murdering Katolis soldiers by the truckload

And brutally, too! He completely vaporized like three guys! No funerals for you, sorry!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That was a pretty good kiss, I have to admit.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Life in a monarchy conditioned them to obey whatever idiot inherited the crown. Not much of a stretch to just roll with it when some other rear end in a top hat takes it. It's not like the average soldier or peasant is used to choosing their leaders.

Full communism now, guillotine all nobles.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Each of these pieces represents a hundred dense-rear end mofos"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

That was a pretty good kiss, I have to admit.

Jack De Sena really sells it with that, "Wow."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Having binged this season in one go, I’ll admit: it feels like they finally found that ATLA spark that I’d thought it was missing from the past couple of seasons.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Loved this season. The climactic battle at the end was short but well-done.

"Short but well-done" is probably a good summary of this show as a whole. I really just wish the seasons were longer. I imagine 99% of the (incredibly valid) complaints about the breakneck pacing and sometimes oddly quick plot beats would be addressed if they had even 15 or 16 episodes per season. For instance, Ezren could have had more than a few episodes on the throne and they could have shown the other kingdoms laying siege, making people more desperate and giving Viren time to earn some sympathy even as he sits in prison. All the relationships would have had more time to develop as well so that Amaya/Janai (which don't get me wrong I absolutely adore) had more time to develop, for instance.

Shoutout to them adding Kazi this season who uses they/them pronouns according to the website (though not sure if I heard them referred to as such in the show?) and for showing a kiss between two men in a kids tv show.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rosalind posted:

Shoutout to them adding Kazi this season who uses they/them pronouns according to the website (though not sure if I heard them referred to as such in the show?) and for showing a kiss between two men in a kids tv show.

They avoid using pronouns for Kazi in the show, although I got the impression purely from their design that they were some form of nonbinary/agender. I think the team did a good job of fitting in diversity without explicitly calling attention to it, which is my ideal for shows aimed at kids like this one.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Did Kazi disappear? I feel like they just vanished before the final episodes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Seluin posted:

Did Kazi disappear? I feel like they just vanished before the final episodes.

Probably just a matter of narrative efficiency or cut plot sections. They're not a warrior, and Callum can translate for Amaya just fine, so they wouldn't have much to do. It's likely they'd be better served staying around the capital to help out with the aftermath of Viren's corruption, in any event.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Is there somewhere that has Gen. Amaya's signing transcribed? All I could find for this season was on Reddit- and I hope it's accurate because it would totally cement her as my hero-

Reddit posted:

after Janai said "she's not my friend, she's my prisoner", Amaya signed "she thinks I'm cute, she just won't admit it yet.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

tribbledirigible posted:

Is there somewhere that has Gen. Amaya's signing transcribed? All I could find for this season was on Reddit- and I hope it's accurate because it would totally cement her as my hero-

Also from the TDP Reddit:

quote:

Episode 1 Amaya and Gren's reunion: https://streamable.com/7q28u
Amaya: (not sure if she actually signed anything or was just pointing out the beard) Gren: "We have a lot to talk about"

Episode 3 with Janai: I'm pretty sure she just tells Janai to shove it up her a-- , the poor interpreter elf was a bit shocked lol
https://streamable.com/07hwt

Episode 8: https://streamable.com/5yj8m Callum signs "Rayla, friend" when talking about her being his friend now

Episode 8, talking to Callum about Janai: https://streamable.com/4xwlc "She thinks I'm cute, she won't admit it yet" But definitely pointing out that Janai thinks she's cute. lol

Episode 9 during the fight: https://streamable.com/xq5sf Was very quick but she signed "I'm okay" to Janai

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's been said - but it was a good series that needs more episodes. I didn't really feel that in series 1 but 2/3 have both been over so unbelievably fast.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So much for Aavaros being "misunderstood."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

So much for Aavaros being "misunderstood."

I guess we clearly know that he did give humans Dark Magic.

I wonder how you become dragon king? Since Sol was it before. Why didn't it all go to poo poo when he stood down and had no kids presumably?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Is Dragon King a King as in "has administrative responsibilities" or are King as in "fancy title for strongest being in the world that can do whatever it wants"?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is Dragon King a King as in "has administrative responsibilities" or are King as in "fancy title for strongest being in the world that can do whatever it wants"?

Xadia doesn't actually seem to be a united nation, based on this season? The Sunfire Elves appear to be a power unto themselves, like the various human kingdoms.

Really shaggy and weird season. Pacing was all over the place, dialogue bizarre, but occasional moments where it was a good show. The animation is still real good. Ezran's monologue about the cost of war, also really good. That whole plot as a piece of writing, though? Yeesh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I mean it gives the impression that it's the former at least in some way.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Taear posted:

I mean it gives the impression that it's the former at least in some way.
I feel like it's maybe a mix of the two. That by being the strongest, the other dragons are culturally bound to listen to you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I completely disagree about the relationship feeling natural. They've known each other, what, a week and a half? Two? That escalated ridiculously quickly, especially Callum getting over his Claudia crush.
They're spending all their time together, including a bunch of life or death situations.

I also wonder how much of this is just, that different people develop romantic feelings for others differently, at different paces. Because I can totally fall for someone that fast, or faster, if I like 'em.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
This is a cartoon.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

This is a cartoon.

I also am forced to assume (for my own sanity) that they waste tons of time offscreen, just due to how awful the "We will do this crazy thing to avoid spending two weeks going around that lake/volcano/shriner's convention, but despite saving all that time the group following us that is going around will arrive at the same time" thing is

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Any speculation about what star magic is like? We've seen moon, sun, and sky, and I'd think ocean and Earth are pretty straightforward, but what can star mages do? And are there star dragons or other creatures?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Star Elves are ghosts, because they blew up a long time ago and their afterimage is all that remains.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Senaiya_Art/status/1202040632816082945

Coin Quest arc now please.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I quite liked S3. It’s a massive improvement on S1.
Disappointed in Claudia who seems she’s almost completely corrupted now.
Are Rayla’s parents actually alive but in coin form?
What other loose ends are there atm?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Andrew_1985 posted:

I quite liked S3. It’s a massive improvement on S1.
Disappointed in Claudia who seems she’s almost completely corrupted now.
Are Rayla’s parents actually alive but in coin form?
What other loose ends are there atm?

Yeah, they're in the coins with Runaan and others.
Loose ends that we know of: Aaravos, Claudia & Viren. Human/Elf peace. Coin'd Elves.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The castle's baker is the Samwise Gamgee of the series, the dude just wanted to bake jelly tarts in his nice safe kitchen but he marched into Xadia and held the drat line against lava zombies when Ezran needed him :black101:

Edit: or does that make him Merry??

Metalshark posted:

Yeah, they're in the coins with Runaan and others.
Loose ends that we know of: Aaravos, Claudia & Viren. Human/Elf peace. Coin'd Elves.

There's also the question of whether King Harrow is actually dead or not

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's also the question of whether King Harrow is actually dead or not

Common fan theory I’ve seen is that Viren really did go through with the soul swap, but it was with Harrow’s pet bird... Hence why they never showed anything of his final moments.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Common fan theory I’ve seen is that Viren really did go through with the soul swap, but it was with Harrow’s pet bird... Hence why they never showed anything of his final moments.

That's what Snowglobe is referring to I'd assume.
Especially since the bird hosed off before Ezran turned up (who could have talked to it)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Me and my bird dad.

A new sitcom coming to Netflix

Fall 2024

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Can someone tell me why everyone was acting like Ezran showed great wisdom by letting Viren take over the kingdom and lead the armies on a tyrannical death march/purge his enemies instead of maybe fighting the armies in Kotolis? I get it would have been a great loss of life, but capitulating to tyrants is ultimately worse as about 2/3 of that army died anyway, the elves in Bling Town got massacred as well, and I'm guessing Duran's army and the Broken Chain resistance took casualties that would have never needed to happen had Ezran ordered the battle.

I absolutely get why he didn't do it, he's a kid. I don't get why Opili and the nice counselors are acting like this was a wise decision.

It's not like the writers are averse to this concept, Soren straight out comes and says you can't appease evil, it must be destroyed.

He sent all the racists to their deaths and proved that humans would fight and die to protect elves, laying a solid foundation for a lasting peace.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regalingualius posted:

"Fan theory"? They couldn't have telegraphed that any harder, I didn't realize there was any question about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think the bigger mystery is where the gently caress is the Crow Lord? Does he even exists?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm on episode 5 (i think), and i have a question:

why did ezren abdicate his throne and give it to viren? i know that one lady (whose name i forget) says that he can give the throne to someone else until he's of the proper age, but i don't understand this particular decision at all. he's not simply appointing a regent, but completely losing all power AND being imprisoned AND rewarding viren of all people. i probably missed some crucial element, so if anyone can shed light here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm on episode 5 (i think), and i have a question:

why did ezren abdicate his throne and give it to viren? i know that one lady (whose name i forget) says that he can give the throne to someone else until he's of the proper age, but i don't understand this particular decision at all. he's not simply appointing a regent, but completely losing all power AND being imprisoned AND rewarding viren of all people. i probably missed some crucial element, so if anyone can shed light here...

The writers needed a way to get him back to the party after giving our other two mains some alone time.