Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
(jump to votecount)

(source)
Far away from Arrentia and the Morze, beyond the great desert Charnaz, past the Jad'pu wasteland and over Q'tafi Ridge, there is a place where men are myth and where reptiles rule. The lizards of the north call their land Rahiri, and some tribes in the ridges call it Tomnea, but the saurians of the south call it Sahalia, and since their clans are chief, Sahalia it will be. Historically Sahalia was a politically volatile place, with confederations and alliances shifting as tribes grew and diminished in power, ensuring that no one group could dominate the others. But a generation ago the southern clans were united by a charismatic drake known as Qashmer, who had a vision of a centralized pan-saurian state. With his general and right claw Smoke-Stone-Feather, the southern clans brutally conquered all of lizardom, torching villages and triumphantly sacrificing captives to the blood gods.
Qashmer the Great is now old and feeble, and a new brood chomps at his heels. Last week his nephew, Glass-Green-Tongue, attempted a palace coup to replace the ailing autocrat, but he was thwarted. Traitors in every land deserve death, but recognizing his bloodline, Qashmer granted Glass-Green-Tongue and his followers the chance to redeem themselves through the sacred ball games. They would play the blood sport "until the priests determine that the Gods are satisfied," whereupon every survivor would be given clemency.
The night before, as he sat in his cell, Glass-Green-Tongue's mind was racing. His plan had been flawless. The only reason it could have failed was because some of his most trusted acolytes betrayed him. Those newts! Qashmer only dangled his mercy as a chance to have his loyalists escape with their reputations concealed. Glass-Green-Tongue was resolved: "not if I still draw breath."

(source)

Welcome to this game of mafia! This is a 15 player closed-setup game. However, it is a "traditional" game; there will be little that isn't featured on the SA Mafia Wiki or the Mafia flash thingy. However there might still be some surprises thrown your way! Who knows?

The standard mafia rules apply: don't do anything that could be construed as "not in the spirit of mafia." But I'm not a huge stickler for rules, so as long as you don't break the game it'll probably be fine. For instance, feel free to edit your posts to fix minor things like formatting, even if you get caught by the ninja; just be reasonable about it.

However, please remember that I reserve the right to punish someone as I see fit for whatever thing they do.

My unique quirk: please ##unvote before re##voting. I will not count revotes without unvotes unless you are a double-voter. Votebot finally supports this functionality, and so there should rarely be a discrepancy between my counts and its. I may even stop doing hand counts entirely; how strange would that be?

If you haven't posted for a while, I'll prod you with a PM. If you have a reason why you're not posting, feel free to tell me -- I like to think I'm fairly reasonable. If you aren't posting and it's going to be a chronic problem, I'll ask if you want a replacement; it's up to you, I just want everyone to have a good time, you included.

Every game day will have a deadline. If a majority vote has not been reached by then, the day will end with no execution. Note that if I am ever for some reason unavailable for a deadline I've set, you should assume it to be floating.

Try to only post while sober. You can't play mafia well if you're not sober, and you make the rest of the game more difficult for everyone else too.

To sign up, simply say whether you want to play or be a replacement, whether or not you have PMs, and your email address. I'm "eccoraven" via g-mail. I only check my email once a week, so if you don't have PMs you should really consider getting it!

If you are living with, or otherwise have direct RL contact with, another player in the game, please tell me when signing up. It won't affect your chances for playing the game, I just like to know these things in advance.

Here we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c:

NOTE: just an estimate, not assumed to be accurate!

Current Phase: GAME OVER
:h: N / A
:d: N/A

1) Anomalous Amalgam
2) b-minus1
3) ELO Musk
4) GenericGirlName
5) Grinnblade
6) Hal Incandenza
7) Max
8) merk
9) Monathin
10) Mr. Humalong
11) Retro Futurist
12) Rhjamiz
13) SalTheBard bowmore
14) Tired Moritz
15) Toalpaz

GAME START
Time Out 1: Tired Moritz, Effetai, Loyalist (Qash-aligned goon), sacrificed. Mr. Humalong, Red-Tail-Scale, Night Watchman (conspiracy-aligned daycop), daykilled.
Round 1: Grinnblade, Hears-Sky-Voices, High Priest (Qash-aligned godfather), executed.
Break 1: Nobody died during Break 1. How peculiar! Is that peculiar? idk it's only the first night, too small a sample size to be sure.
Time Out 2: bowmore, Fish-Voice-Song, Conspirator (conspiracy-aligned vanilla), sacrificed. Retro Futurist, Three-Loose-Claw, Conspirator (conspiracy-aligned vanilla), daykilled.
Round 2: Rhjamiz, Rhuns, Broodkeeper (conspiracy-aligned gunsmith), executed.
Break 2: Max, Frog-Lick-Tongue, Conspirator (conspiracy-aligned vanilla), died.
Time Out 3: Hal Incandenza, Smoke-Stone-Feather, Veteran (Qash-aligned daykiller), sacrificed.
Round 3: GenericGirlName, Glass-Green-Tongue, Chieftan (conspiracy-aligned cop), executed.
Break 3: Nobody died again wow how convenient! Death is bad so this is good right?
Round 4: Diqnol, Prishan, Conspirator (conspiracy-aligned vanilla), executed.
Break 4: b-minus1, Dirt-Brown-Snout, Loyalist (Qash-aligned goon), died.

GAME OVER
TOWN? VICTORY

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 10, 2018

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

(source)

Unique Game Mechanics!

This game will have a big rubber ball going every which way. At the start of the game, a player will "have" the ball; they will have 12 hours upon receiving the ball to ##bump it with their hip towards another player, who will then "have" the ball and can ##bump it towards another player. If a player does not hip-bump the ball in time, the ball will ram into their bodies, badly bruising them: they will, for the rest of the game day, take one less vote to be executed. This stacks!

If a player has failed to bump a ball, whomever ##bumps the ball next puts it back into play.

Also, at set moments in the game, the King will call for a "time out" - whomever "has" the ball during a time out will immediately be dragged to the temple for sacrifice.

So that's a thing!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 18, 2018

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Confirmed

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
yep

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm a dumbass and I can't resist lizards, so I will play.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ill be a replacement

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sure

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh wait what, i have to be sober?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I really should stop playing and finish my own game concept but I'm stalling out on it and I gotta keep my ecco game streak alive.

In.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
All that alliteration in the description was basically a summoning ritual for me. I'm in if you'll have me.

e: I'll even read every word in my PM and OP. Sobriety.... I can't promise that my poo poo posting times won't directly overlap drinking times, but I'll do my best to not make a complete fool of myself.

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 18, 2018

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Oh why the hell not.

Let's do this poo poo for the first time in almost 10 loving years (holy poo poo what).

PMs active, I'm on discord, not sure if you need anything else really?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Wowie zowie

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Oh why the hell not.

Let's do this poo poo for the first time in almost 10 loving years (holy poo poo what).

PMs active, I'm on discord, not sure if you need anything else really?

holy gently caress it's grinnblade

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I actually don’t remember Grinnblade at all.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

How much effort should I put in to this game?

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Max posted:

I actually don’t remember Grinnblade at all.

That would be understandable considering you and I never crossed paths to the best of my knowledge. I only tended to play in weird setup games (Disgaea, Live Grenade, et al), games that would eventually be abandoned (Persona, Status Quo), or Ecco games (Eulogy in Euskara, Vagaries in Venice, Ronin of Rakuken). Bonus points to Euskara for me being a complete albatross around the neck of the scum team.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Huh, cool.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Signup post :twisted:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Own z0ne

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Put me in coach.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Crocodilians are kind of my jam (80+ million years and they have almost not changed at all, that’s impressive) so I would like to play.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Sure why the hell not I love Ecco games. Ecco I also feel stupid in just now realizing most of your games have names that are alliterations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I’m here for you Ecco

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
alright that's 15! I hope to have the game ready before the end of the weekend, probably far sooner!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'll let you in on a secret, whenever I open a mafia game, the day it fills I always get a big project at work that comes out of nowhere and requires most of my free time even over a weekend. I'm working on the game! don't lose hope!! just giving you all a status update.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Its been so long since I’ve been in an Ecco game I plum forgot

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm going to make a promise!!!

If I don't find the time to write the rest of the PMs before TOMORROW, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25TH AT 10PM EDT, I will mulligan the game and apologize for wasting everyone's time, even more so than your time has already been wasted!

I'm just over halfway done so this is so doable but until then this will encourage me to not dawdle!

(I'm not dawdling though, I got off work last night at 10:30! on a sunday! ugh)

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Hi! I want to sign up as a replacement. I have PMs and do have a Gmail at the same name as my username but I assume you'll pm me if necessary. I can also be reached via DISCORD which will get the fastest response.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
game

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GenericGirlName posted:

Hi! I want to sign up as a replacement. I have PMs and do have a Gmail at the same name as my username but I assume you'll pm me if necessary. I can also be reached via DISCORD which will get the fastest response.
you can take my spot matey

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hooray! Everyone should have their role PMs; check your inboxes. Thank you for being patient with me!

Instead of saying some variation of "confirm" type the following sentence (capitalizing the first letter of each word):

I understand that if I do not unvote the mod will not count a revote unless I am a doublevoter.

For reference, all the role PMs look something like this:

A Sample Role PM posted:

TaoJones - Nessa - Conspirator (conspiracy-aligned vanilla)
"I should have stayed home today."
You were never supposed to be anyone important. Maybe you are a musician, who played a drum or harp in the royal court. Maybe you are a minor noble from a distant county, set to inherit nothing but a name. Maybe you are a courtier, managing the king's finances or organizing his affairs. But whomever you are, you aren't in the royal caste, and that makes you less. But for a moment you thought, it wouldn't have to be this way. The king's nephew, Glass-Green-Tongue, is kind, and gentle, and friendly, and wise. He would have made a much better ruler than Qashmer the Qruel, and Glass-Green-Tongue convinced you to join him in a conspiracy to replace the aging monarch with himself.
The plot failed, obviously, and now rather than dying in obscurity you're set to die by having a giant rubber ball slam into your head. Steel yourself for the trial to come: the only escape is victory or sacrifice.

You are a townie! You seek to survive the ball game while punishing the loyalists who betrayed you, and as such you win when all scum players are eliminated. You have the normal abilities of voting and posting freely.
You have no exceptional talents at this time.
You are vanilla and you are conspiracy-aligned.

Character names are generated semi-randomly using various easy-to-find internet programs, as well as random Wikipedia articles and my own creativity.

Flips will look like this:

:s: Player Name, Character Name, Flavor Title (alignment-aligned role), died in a flavor-specific way. :s:

Example:

:s: TaoJones, Nessa, Conspirator (conspiracy-aligned vanilla), was stabbed to death night 0. :s:

The game should be beginning shortly!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I have returned.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

(source)

The players wrapped their hands, sharpened their claws, and girded their horns. They walked slowly into the arena, the crowds eagerly awaiting their blood. The priests in the temple bowed everyone's heads in prayer for the security of the kingdom, that the just from the arena leave in peace while the wicked find themselves sacrificed to the Gods. Qashmer stood with the great rubber ball in his hands, a ball which had been and would be the ruin of many a lizardman. After a long pause he hurled it into the arena. The game had begun.

Round 1 begins now.

:h: With 15 alive it takes 8 votes to execute.
:d: Round 1 deadline: Sunday, September 30th, ~11PM EDT / 8 PM PDT / (are there non-americans in this game? let me know and I'll include your time zone)

To start us out, Monathin has the ball, and has 12 hours to ##bump it to another player.

Hooray!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hello!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What is up my fellow friends?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I Understand That If I Do Not Unvote The Mod Will Not Count A Revote Unless I Am A Doublevoter~

Where is the ball?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Oh oops it took forever for the capitalize things on my phone. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I Understand That If I Do Not Unvote The Mod Will Not Count A Revote Unless I Am A Doublevoter.

• Locked thread