Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

I feel like b- killing himself because he lurked and didn’t really process the impact of monathin’s claim is the way this setup would’ve wanted scum to lose.

Dont really disagree!

This was a fun game with you too merk, I liked your posting to stay at the top of the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

merk posted:

I feel like b- killing himself because he lurked and didnt really process the impact of monathins claim is the way this setup wouldve wanted scum to lose.

:agreed:

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

merk posted:

I feel like b- killing himself because he lurked and didn’t really process the impact of monathin’s claim is the way this setup would’ve wanted scum to lose.

GenericGirlName posted:

So.. when's the sequel?

:agreed: :yeah:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
the crocs be clashin’

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Re-clash the crocs

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh thank god, you idiots didn’t kill Yiskah

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
(I don’t recall if Ecco mentioned it yet but I was Yiskah in her first game as a town-aligned killer that owned merk to win with town)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Podima posted:

Oh thank god, you idiots didnt kill Yiskah

I wasn't gonna let Ecco down! :colbert:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I was in the last game?!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I wasn't! I only offered to replace in!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
My gambit, good or bad?

I'm surprised scum didn't think I was doc after it?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

My gambit, good or bad?

I'm surprised scum didn't think I was doc after it?

Based solely on results: bad, but I love the idea.

I might have modified it to say something akin to the following: I watched merk last night. You have 12 hours to claim.

I've ran that gambit down before, sometimes successfully. It definitely gives the thread something to talk about which every game needs.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
There's going to be some jerk mafia purist who comes in here saying "TOWN SHOULD NEVER LIE" but don't listen to that person.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869056&pagenumber=38&perpage=40#post488694901

Highlight of the game for me. Forgot about this. I laughed very hard.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

merk posted:

Based solely on results: bad, but I love the idea.

I might have modified it to say something akin to the following: I watched merk last night. You have 12 hours to claim.

I've ran that gambit down before, sometimes successfully. It definitely gives the thread something to talk about which every game needs.

That's a good idea, I was tunneling Rhj, but it could have been easier to cast a wider net and maybe not exclusively try and trip up a person.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

There's going to be some jerk mafia purist who comes in here saying "TOWN SHOULD NEVER LIE" but don't listen to that person.

Yeah lying to trap scum is fine if it doesn’t drag the game down somehow

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

If you had actually executed it properly it might have been fine? Except you forgot to consider I might be a town pr and just assumed any affirmative answer meant scum made it a bad gambit.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The worst part about that list is that I was already making one myself to try and narrow down who might've been scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
People do not like when I mafia dad after games, but I'm going to do it anyway:

Rhj, I used to play like you. If you go back to some of my early games, you will see an angry player who stomped on any player that said anything negative about me immediately. You will see me lead town to victory in some situations but, more often than not, you will see me lead town to failure because of that style. You also will see that I was heralded as one of the better scum players on SA Mafia, largely at the cost of my town game because people didn't really bat an eye if I kept mislynching us.

That style loses town games. Chill out. Look at each argument objectively and try to put yourself in that player's shoes. Of course, as Max said here (or in another game?), cases against you are great to determine someone else's alignment because you know your alignment. Use them to find scum rather than try to crush them.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

If you had actually executed it properly it might have been fine? Except you forgot to consider I might be a town pr and just assumed any affirmative answer meant scum made it a bad gambit.

Hahaha, I mean what are the chances. I thought odds of you being town pr + also actually visiting merk were low. But yeah, in a lot of ways I was looking for evidence to confirm my suspicions and could have opened up with a much wider net.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
A little more info about my (lack of) thought process. I thought merk was 3p, and the person in charge of time outs. I tried to kill him n1, which failed, so I thought he was bulletproof or possibly unkillable during the night. i thought about trying to kill him again n3, but decided to kill AA instead. Which also failed. lmao

N4: Needed to keep toalpaz in the game, thought it was too risky to kill merk. My intent was to kill mona and redirect it to a random player (I considered the possibility that it would be randomly redirected to me, but decided to yolo it anyway haha). of course, I didn't process the mechanics of mona's action, and killed myself anyway haha. This would have turned out differently if I had a scumbro to mull this over with but the drat ball killed 2 of my friends :(

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

merk posted:

That style loses town games. Chill out. Look at each argument objectively and try to put yourself in that player's shoes. Of course, as Max said here (or in another game?), cases against you are great to determine someone else's alignment because you know you're alignment. Use them to find scum rather than try to crush them.
I get that, but what annoys me here and now is that... I was doing that. Yeah. I cased people who were casing me. No, I didn't Scum read all of them. I townread them too. I was reading people's reactions to me and their cases on me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

merk posted:

People do not like when I mafia dad after games, but I'm going to do it anyway:

Rhj, I used to play like you. If you go back to some of my early games, you will see an angry player who stomped on any player that said anything negative about me immediately. You will see me lead town to victory in some situations but, more often than not, you will see me lead town to failure because of that style. You also will see that I was heralded as one of the better scum players on SA Mafia, largely at the cost of my town game because people didn't really bat an eye if I kept mislynching us.

That style loses town games. Chill out. Look at each argument objectively and try to put yourself in that player's shoes. Of course, as Max said here (or in another game?), cases against you are great to determine someone else's alignment because you know your alignment. Use them to find scum rather than try to crush them.

The biggest problem with that playstyle is it forces people to focus on you, because such hyper-defensive play attracts attention. It's okay for people to think you're scummy as town, you have nothing to hide. I was 3P but I had (very) little to hide and communicated as such. I defended myself where needed (AA put me in the hot seat for a while, but helping dunk Grinn based on your case earned me a lot of town cred and my actions were more or less always reasonable).

Town's going to get mislunched, it's the nature of the game, the best thing you can do is earnestly hunt down scum while not paying too much mind if people are casing you for thinking you scummy.

Except, of course, if you think their casing is fake, as has been discussed, but really, just chill out, Mafia can be a chill game.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Rhjamiz posted:

I get that, but what annoys me here and now is that... I was doing that. Yeah. I cased people who were casing me. No, I didn't Scum read all of them. I townread them too. I was reading people's reactions to me and their cases on me.

I straight up told you I wanted you lunched N1 because your posting was distracting for town and you said only scum would knowingly lunch town :v:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GenericGirlName posted:

I straight up told you I wanted you lunched N1 because your posting was distracting for town and you said only scum would knowingly lunch town :v:

I mean, it IS scummy to want to lynch town. :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Rhjamiz posted:

I mean, it IS scummy to want to lynch town. :v:

Not always.

If someone is telling you they're town, but a lot of people have interacted with them in some way or another, or if they've had a lot of casing, then flipping that person, even if they're town, can be beneficial to town.

A flip allows hindsight, it allows town to review the things you were saying in the light of the fact that you are confirmed town. It allows pressure to be put on people you were talking about (sometimes to town's detriment, depending).

And then you have to consider the point where you know you're the factor in a lunch, voting, do you vote someone you think is town, or do you hold to your guns and ensure a NL - which will make people more suspicious of you in the process, since NL is bad for town?

It really depends on context. The point is that Town can afford to mislunch Town in some circumstances and really, really can't in others.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I get that thanks

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

GenericGirlName posted:

Lol I mean only scum CAN knowingly lynch town!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was right about Hal, ergo I have the moral victory and I win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Lol I mean only scum CAN knowingly lynch town!

Hmmmm

• Locked thread