Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

if you ever wondered how they determine the lives saved number, cops just go around to each traffic accident and loving grease anybody not wearing their seatbelt

like this :piss: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There should be a caveat to all this:

If you live in the US, don't wear a seatbelt because while you may survive a car accident if you use it, you'll probably still be injured or have to go to hospital for a check up and the crippling debt your healthcare will put you in will make you wish you were dead anyway.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Before he retired, my dad was Chief of Safety at our local Air Force base. One thing they used in safety demos was a device called "The Convincer". It was basically a ramp with a track and a car seat mounted on a cart. You'd sit in the seat and they'd let you slide down the ramp. It would go 7 miles per hour when it hit the stop at the bottom. If you did not have the seat belt on, you were inevitably thrown from the seat into the heavily padded protective barrier. Even at 7MPH it was impossible to stay put.

Occasionally, to simulate an infant, they would remove the padded barrier, replace it with a standard dashboard and strap some mom into the seat. Then they would have her hold a watermelon. When the chair hit the bottom, the melon would break free from mommy's grip, to splash all over the dash. This was to emphasize the need for car seats for babies.

Since that time, both car seats and seatbelts have become mandatory. Wise move.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

genesplicer posted:

Before he retired, my dad was Chief of Safety at our local Air Force base. One thing they used in safety demos was a device called "The Convincer". It was basically a ramp with a track and a car seat mounted on a cart. You'd sit in the seat and they'd let you slide down the ramp. It would go 7 miles per hour when it hit the stop at the bottom. If you did not have the seat belt on, you were inevitably thrown from the seat into the heavily padded protective barrier. Even at 7MPH it was impossible to stay put.

Occasionally, to simulate an infant, they would remove the padded barrier, replace it with a standard dashboard and strap some mom into the seat. Then they would have her hold a watermelon. When the chair hit the bottom, the melon would break free from mommy's grip, to splash all over the dash. This was to emphasize the need for car seats for babies.

This sounds both awesome and fun and a great public service work that doubles as a test your strength fair attraction

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

This kind of basic physics isn't common knowledge anymore, I don't think.

I do think a vast majority of people buckle up compared to the old days but I don't think they exactly know why.

Unless you are into contact sports or have been in some sort of accident you probably don't realize how much force your fully grown body exerts.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I do think a vast majority of people buckle up compared to the old days but I don't think they exactly know why.

Unless you are into contact sports or have been in some sort of accident you probably don't realize how much force your fully grown body exerts.

It's called retard strength for a reason

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

SleepySonata posted:

It's called retard strength for a reason

Hmm. Not exactly what I was talking about and I disagree but...

Do you wear your seat belt?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

It'll take a hell of a lot to convince me that the seat belt that kept me in place so all i got was a couple scratches from broken glass was actually putting me in a worse position than if I had been bouncing around and had been any closer to the door picture here

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I was in a bad accident decades ago . I was strapped in, so I was protected to that extent, but this was basically before airbags, so I got banged up pretty badly. (The car I was in was hit by a drunk driver. We were hit at 90 degrees on the driver's rear fender. The car spun around at least once, ended up slamming against a K rail barrier. It led to a lifetime of back trouble and an eventual surgery.)

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Woof Blitzer posted:

Roll cages and four point belts should be mandatory.

Four point belts are extremely unsafe without a HANS system. Roll cages are extremely unsafe without a proper helmet.
:goonsay:

genesplicer posted:

I was in a bad accident decades ago . I was strapped in, so I was protected to that extent, but this was basically before airbags, so I got banged up pretty badly. (The car I was in was hit by a drunk driver. We were hit at 90 degrees on the driver's rear fender. The car spun around at least once, ended up slamming against a K rail barrier. It led to a lifetime of back trouble and an eventual surgery.)

Seems everyone who thinks speed limits are too low are usually the same people who have never been in a bad accident and carry some gigantic amount of hubris about their abilities to control a car in an emergency situation at 80 MPH. As someone who has been in a bad accident what is your opinion on current speed limits where you are?

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 19, 2018

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

Milo and POTUS posted:

This sounds both awesome and fun and a great public service work that doubles as a test your strength fair attraction

I want to run the machine; send people down with various items.

"Here, hold onto this bag of hammers."
"Here, hold onto this box of loaded mouse traps."
"Here, hold onto this wasps' nest."

Winners get a plastic spider ring!

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

DogonCrook posted:

Do school buses have them now? A year or two ago one rolled through my front lawn kids went flying everywhere. Nobody was serieoulsy hurt but my god it was a scene.
Last I checked the NHTSA isn't confident that seatbelts would be beneficial for full size school buses and doesn't push for their adoption, though a small handful of states have some sorta requirements. School buses distribute force differently than cars and are able to operate under the credo of "you gently caress with me, you die"

Either way, school buses are way safer than normal passenger vehicles so find an alternate mode of transport if you want your kid dead

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Children are in far greater danger when they are getting on/ off the bus or spending their time outside during lunch. What I'm trying to say is, all classes should be held in school busses. Schools are just unsafe.

I thank magic schoolbus for pioneering this brave new concept btw.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
When I was a kid my grandma had a car that wouldn't start unless both front seat belts were buckled

Her solution was to buckle the seatbelts and stuff them down behind the seat cushions

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

genesplicer posted:

I live in Norway; back in the 1970s when nobody used car seats for kids and seatbelts were optional even for adults, we used to lose about 100 children in car crashes each year. These days, when seats and belts are mandatory (and vehicles are constructed to be more secure in general), it's down to the low single digits, some years zero. So yeah.

And of course we get people my age or older talking about how modern safety precautions are overblown because we never used them and WE're all fine. Yeah, I'm fine and you're fine but those 100 kids per year who weren't fine aren't posting on Facebook because they've been dead for decades. Idiots.

Groke fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 19, 2018

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
When I met my wife she never wore a seatbelt because her parent's thought that they were stupid, and it took months of passive aggressive fighting with her while we were dating before I convinced her to wear it all the time. She now always wears it and has passive aggressive arguments with her parents and sisters when they aren't wearing theirs.

Her parents and sisters, however,
1) Have been ticketed several time for not wearing their seatbelts
2) All have hosed up backs from being in car accidents
3) Still don't wear seatbelts and think that they are stupid

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A seatbelt saved my dad's life in the 90's

That's my story thanks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

A seatbelt saved my dad's life in the 90's

That's my story thanks.

A seatbelt did not save the life of the motorcyclist who hit him head on

without a helmet

on a suspended license

on an unregistered bike

while driving in the wrong lane over the crest of a hill.

His family sued my dad for killing the guy and the judge laughed them out of his courtroom. It didn't help that by sheer luck a lawyer was behind my dad and saw the entire thing unfold.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
have you considered just not getting in a car accident ever?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Please wear a seatbelt

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I don't wear seatbelts, I just buy a car that fits me

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I don't like that the seatbelt extension I have to use is fat shaming me. There's also the problem of all the mountain dew stains make my seatbelt pretty unstylish. I want to be safe but I don't want to look trashy!

My approach to safety is to move my seat up just a scooch so my belly is wedged against the steering wheel and I can't be moved around. There's also a side safety benefit in that my belly honks the horn when I go around corners. Ain't nobody gonna collide with a honkin' fat man I can tell you that.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Groke posted:

I live in Norway; back in the 1970s when nobody used car seats for kids and seatbelts were optional even for adults, we used to lose about 100 children in car crashes each year. These days, when seats and belts are mandatory (and vehicles are constructed to be more secure in general), it's down to the low single digits, some years zero. So yeah.

And of course we get people my age or older talking about how modern safety precautions are overblown because we never used them and WE're all fine. Yeah, I'm fine and you're fine but those 100 kids per year who weren't fine aren't posting on Facebook because they've been dead for decades. Idiots.

Modern rear facing car seat guidelines probably kill more people via climate change from the massive cars they basically require than they save lives lol

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

i dont wear a seatbelt since my uncle got throwm from a wreck and landed softly on the ground whereas his grand am was crushed like a can

just think, in a car wreck where's the safest place to be?

not in the car of course

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

have you considered just not getting in a car accident ever?

Yeah, this is the answer. Really the only option if you like driving older cars.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everyone likes Tank! but my favourite Seatbelts song is Don't Bother None.

Adieu is probably my favorite.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SleepySonata posted:

Blowjobs are cool and all but deepthroating is a whole lot of loving work

Should've gone with Sloppysonata

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Just do a smooth reverse dukes of hazard right out the window when the crash is happening and youll be totally fine!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

shovelbum posted:

Modern rear facing car seat guidelines probably kill more people via climate change from the massive cars they basically require than they save lives lol

Yeah, in Sweden were it's the norm with rear facing child seats we have to use sedans and station wagons. WHAT ARE YOU EVEN SMOKING?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember being in an accident when I was 4 that was so hardcore the seatbelt completely took my breath away, I could barely breathe for minutes.

By wearing it I was denied the opportunity to perfectly pirouette out the open window, avoiding all harm.

Stupid seatbelts!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

There should be a caveat to all this:

If you live in the US, don't wear a seatbelt because while you may survive a car accident if you use it, you'll probably still be injured or have to go to hospital for a check up and the crippling debt your healthcare will put you in will make you wish you were dead anyway.

Very fair tbh.

Also weren't airbags invented for Americans not as additional safety but because people were too goddamn stubborn to put on a seatbelt?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I like randomly on twitter I'll get an NHTSA ad about wearing a seatbelt and the replies are ranting about government interference

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

loving government, trying to prevent my pointless death!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

one time i was wearing a bike helmet that was Ill-fitting and it came mostly off with the side of the strap slicing open my chin, requiring stitches.

Obviously this counteracts the three times my head would have been a stain on the pavement had I not been wearing one

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

I'm not gonna tell any adult what to do with their body/well-being, but I can't figure out why motorcyclists wouldn't want to wear helmets. They look loving awesome. Also, wearing a helmet without any other protective gear is sorta funny since "thank God my helmet saved my cognitive abilities so I can appreciate how all the fragile bones in my hands and ankles were obliterated and required amputation and 70% of my skin has been torn off."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm just going to safely fly free of the burning wreck ya'll are suckers.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're in my car you're wearing a seatbelt or you're getting out. I don't need your parents suing me if you become a red paste on the road.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Moridin920 posted:

If you're in my car you're wearing a seatbelt or you're getting out. I don't need your parents suing me if you become a red paste on the road.
You don't need to bring money into it. A moron passenger not wearing a seatbelt can be flung around the car by the force of a crash and kill non-moron passengers. The energy that rockets dummies out the windshield into the great unknown can easily be redirected into crashing their stupid skull into your less stupid skull, killing you both very badly.

Keep those Projectile Petes outta your car

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
seat belt material is nice looking. also very strong. i wonder what it is made out of? maybe its not the material but the weave?

woud like a seat belt material t shirt.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Everyone I've known who refused to wear their seatbelt managed to always have the wrong opinion about everything else too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Imma die if i get in a crash cause im too lazy to get my killer airbag replaced lol

• Locked thread