Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potrzebie posted:

Yeah, in Sweden were it's the norm with rear facing child seats we have to use sedans and station wagons. WHAT ARE YOU EVEN SMOKING?

Yeah, a full size European sedan, I'll get right on that lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Double

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

seatbelts are good

if you're a weak boned BITCH

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

bring back old gbs posted:

seat belt material is nice looking. also very strong. i wonder what it is made out of? maybe its not the material but the weave?

woud like a seat belt material t shirt.

:staredog:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

shovelbum posted:

Yeah, a full size European sedan, I'll get right on that lol.

Is "sedan" not the right word in US english? A "normal" 5-seater car, 4000-5000 mm in length is what I'm talking about. A car like a Ford Focus coupe from 2004 can fit a loving amazingy safe rear facing child seat.

https://www.britax-roemer.co.uk/fitfinder is one of the places you can visit to stop worrying and learn to love the rear.

E: Page 10 in this report is a good place to go when chosing what seat to use. It's from one of Swedens largest insurance companies, but that page is basically "count the green dots, more green=more good".

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 20, 2018

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I'm a doofus hipster so I'm gonna need seatsuspenders.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

There's actually been two bus accidents in my region this month, in both cases the driver fainted in the middle of a highway. Six people died in the first one, but luckily a passenger was able to stop the bus in that second one. It was the same bus company actually, which makes you wonder how hard they're overworking their drivers.

Anyway the point is don't feel safe just cause you're in a bus. Wear a seatbelt.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thx if this was u rofl this is the least incendiary thing i ever posted

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

I knew exactly this rear end in a top hat in highschool, wore suspenders all the time.

Didn't have a seatbelt set, but he did have a belt that of loving course clicked together.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Whatev posted:

You don't need to bring money into it. A moron passenger not wearing a seatbelt can be flung around the car by the force of a crash and kill non-moron passengers. The energy that rockets dummies out the windshield into the great unknown can easily be redirected into crashing their stupid skull into your less stupid skull, killing you both very badly.

Keep those Projectile Petes outta your car

You don't even need to bring safety into it. The feeling of complete human superiority that comes from telling an idiot to do the most simple and obvious thing to preserve their own stupid, shallow, muddling haze of an existence is reward enough in itself.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Am track doesn’t have seat belts but planes do. I guess they’re for turbulence but still.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

thx if this was u rofl this is the least incendiary thing i ever posted

I’m now curious about the possibility of seat belt material clothing. It’s probably a million dollar idea. Whoever invents them will live like a king

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I make my kid bring his own seatbelt on the school bus and I watch from outside the bus window to make sure he buckles in before the bus is allowed to leave. I am also on the PTA board

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kazak posted:

I make my kid bring his own seatbelt on the school bus and I watch from outside the bus window to make sure he buckles in before the bus is allowed to leave. I am also on the PTA board

ur a good mom

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

seat belt material is nice looking. also very strong. i wonder what it is made out of? maybe its not the material but the weave?

woud like a seat belt material t shirt.

It's 8-shaft herringbone twill in untwisted polyester filament yarn, 1100 dtex on the warp, 550 dtex on weft.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 20, 2018

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Kuato posted:

I’m now curious about the possibility of seat belt material clothing. It’s probably a million dollar idea. Whoever invents them will live like a king

I think it's been used for a while as backpack straps.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I think it's been used for a while as backpack straps.

yeah sure show up to class with a t shirt made of backpack strap material i'll ruin ur freaking life about that poo poo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

Am track doesn’t have seat belts but planes do. I guess they’re for turbulence but still.

Yeah the train isn't gonna drop a foot suddenly. Planes do and people bang their head into the ceiling.

I guess they figure if the train derails you're hosed anyway and if it doesn't derail it won't stop that suddenly.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah the train isn't gonna drop a foot suddenly. Planes do and people bang their head into the ceiling.

I guess they figure if the train derails you're hosed anyway and if it doesn't derail it won't stop that suddenly.

I case of a water landing please use the seat cushion. Cracks me up. You’re dead. In a plane.

A derail won’t stop suddenly? Or hitting another train from the back or front?

E train safety from collisions to armed attacks has been ignored. I could have 12 people on the am track I just rode. With no tickets. No screening besides a weak metal detector.

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 21, 2018

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Has anybody had the hot take that pointless deaths are actually good because humans are garbage?

Because that's a bad take and humans are cool, and so are seatbelts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
nobody should die needlessly but let's not pretend that we're cool. We're the reigning species of the rear end in a top hat kingdom.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I can't think of a time where I chose not to/didn't want to wear a seat belt. I get into the car and put it on before thinking about anything else, it surprises me when I drive with people who might be halfway down a major highway and suddenly go 'oh haha let me just put this on' (especially when it's the driver and they take their hands off the wheel for a few seconds to put it on :negative:)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheMostFrench posted:

I can't think of a time where I chose not to/didn't want to wear a seat belt. I get into the car and put it on before thinking about anything else, it surprises me when I drive with people who might be halfway down a major highway and suddenly go 'oh haha let me just put this on' (especially when it's the driver and they take their hands off the wheel for a few seconds to put it on :negative:)

yeah the idea of getting in a car and not immediately doing it up is completely alien to me. even when i was younger and we were just running out to the driveway to hotbox, i'd buckle that poo poo subconsciously

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Nooner posted:

Imma die if i get in a crash cause im too lazy to get my killer airbag replaced lol

Yeah I always wear my seat belt but I'm pretty sure my car has one of those Japanese frag grenade airbags so I'm looking forward to having my face blown off someday.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

Whenever I'm with someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt, I wonder what I've done wrong with my life to have someone that stupid actually be in the same car as me.

Holy poo poo you are so right. Why was I ever friends with that person ugh. They let me know pretty fast how dumb they were.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

I don't even have seat pants, what do I need a seat belt for?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Burt Sexual posted:

I case of a water landing please use the seat cushion. Cracks me up. You’re dead. In a plane.

Actually water is a reasonable surface to make a semi-controlled soft crash landing on, and after that you're going to want some kind of flotation device. There have been a number of real-life emergency landings on water where many/most/all passengers have survived.

Edit: This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_526A seems to be the ancestral case. TLDR: It was 1952, a plane failed and landed in water, 3/4 of the passengers died because there were no established evacuation routines or flotation crap so they just stayed put and drowned.

Groke fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 21, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Groke posted:

Actually water is a reasonable surface to make a semi-controlled soft crash landing on, and after that you're going to want some kind of flotation device. There have been a number of real-life emergency landings on water where many/most/all passengers have survived.

Edit: This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_526A seems to be the ancestral case. TLDR: It was 1952, a plane failed and landed in water, 3/4 of the passengers died because there were no established evacuation routines or flotation crap so they just stayed put and drowned.

Sully!

Yeah its possible I guess, just unlikely given my luck.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is not wearing searbelts a baby boomer thing? It's always been an automatic thing for people I know, even for the people I know who regularly drink and drive.

Or maybe it's a regional thing? I wonder if it's an economic/educational thing becuase I grew up in a poor uneducated town in California but people still wore seatbelts.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

buglord posted:

It's always been an automatic thing for people I know, even for the people I know who regularly drink and drive.

Hey man, every drunk driver worth their salt knows that's when you need a seatbelt the most.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cnut the Great posted:

Hey man, every drunk driver worth their salt knows that's when you need a seatbelt the most.

they buckle their six pack into the passengers seat so it doesnt fall over don't they

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
If you don't wear a seatbelt and ride with other people know you are endangering their lives too. My wife used to work in auto claims and heard a story about a guy who was in the back seat and ended up decapitating his wife while going through the windshield.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ya OP they are good i wear em all the time

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Even small poo poo like water bottles or anime figures in the rear windshield, while handy, can do some damage

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
A lot of people don’t wear seat belts in cabs because they’re gross and dirty.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i call them PUSSY STRINGS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

i call them PUSSY STRINGS

Thongs?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

they're insanely good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

A lot of people don’t wear seat belts in cabs because they’re gross and dirty.

The first time I rode in a cab was to get to the Victoria airport and the cab driver spent most of the ride telling me how seat belts don't really matter and he doesn't even have to put it on legally here until he got to the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Arrhythmia posted:

The first time I rode in a cab was to get to the Victoria airport and the cab driver spent most of the ride telling me how seat belts don't really matter and he doesn't even have to put it on legally here until he got to the highway.

ah man i love taxi drivers i love it when i want to get somewhere and they start racial theorising

• Locked thread