Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: this is a bad thread

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

why are you watching the emmys

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Peanut President posted:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: my mom is the one watching the emmys, its on in the background

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Sep 19, 2018

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a convenient change of subject from the elephant in the room: class war

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Peanut President posted:

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
for white liberals its just a way of saying "im one of the good ones"

in general its just because they want to appear woke but cant offer any real coherent critique of the system that they benefit from

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

My mom is but more importantly, it kind of makes me almost understand why baby boomers are so racist.

well yeah other than the part where the phenomenon you're describing didn't really take off until the last 8 years and baby boomers have been racist since before the majority of goons were born, I'd say you really hit the nail on the head

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Streak posted:

I really do think its a way for rich liberals to feel like they're somehow subversive while being overly privileged. Same as constantly atheist signalling or whatever.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
solving racism one nascar joke at a time

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

sounds about white

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I really do think its a way for rich liberals to feel like they're somehow subversive while being overly privileged. Same as constantly atheist signalling or whatever.

it's a way of acknowledging that privilege while not actually doing anything to change it, op

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
They read the blog stuffwhitepeoplelike and never looked back.

The actual answer is that it's considered both safe humor (since it's not told at the expense of large groups that were historically marginalized) and self-deprecating in a slightly critical left-liberal way. Whether or not it's actually critical and/or biting is up to you.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
¡Jeb!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
white people make bad classist white people joke because white people loving suck op and think they are funny

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Sep 18, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Peanut President posted:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

White person Tom Arnold revealed that Ronan Farrow controls the Donald Trump n-word tape at an Emmys pre-party before unsheathing his katana and releasing his fury at Mark Burnett

https://deadline.com/2018/09/tom-arnold-mark-burnett-fight-emmys-party-ronan-farrow-donald-trump-tapes-apprentice-1202465629/

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 06:52 on Sep 18, 2018

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
the emmys are bad but not as bad as the oscars. the tonys are the worst.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Streak posted:

There will never be a rich person joke at a Hollywood awards show

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

*in very randy newman voice*

White people got no reason
White people got no reason to live

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
ha ha, those nazis, am i right? that richard spencer? haha! that guy way up there at the absolute front of the guillotine line, while wealthy coastal libs who have reverse mortgages and cadillac insurance plans giving each other awards a short drive away from a literal shantytown are waaaaaay back here at almost the end. of the line. the line for the guillotine. those wacky racists!!!! ha ha......ha.......................................... ha

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Streak posted:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

420 Gank Mid posted:

*in very randy newman voice*

White people got no reason
White people got no reason to live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9dXEFP-Hk

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

This feels like a killer open mic bit

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mantis42 posted:

My mom is but more importantly, it kind of makes me almost understand why baby boomers are so racist.

yeah that's probably why. hack liberal comedians

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
the same reason your boss likes it when he makes you call him by his first name

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

this bit kills at all the klan rallies

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
What do you get when you cross a WASP with a gorilla?

athletic scholarship to Harvard

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Peanut President posted:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

dee eight posted:

What do you get when you cross a WASP with a gorilla?

a noble 3.75 inches hard

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

bourgeois liberal whites only understand political discourse through the lens of the daily show and believe that jokes make the world different somehow

so, a white liberal ribbing whites or accepting an affluent minority ribbing whites with good humor is seen as the most powerful play possible in the struggle for human liberation

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
white people love watching the emmys

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ScrubLeague posted:

white people love watching the emmys

I’m white and I have watched an award show in like a decade

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
White people love talking about the last time they watched an award show

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's a way of acknowledging that privilege while not actually doing anything to change it, op

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ScrubLeague posted:

White people love talking about the last time they watched an award show

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
All the award shows are garbage but I have a particular hate for the Tony's.

If you're a big movie fan, you can go to see like 50 movies a year with movie pass or $10 a ticket or whatever, and see all the movies nominated for Oscars and watch the award show and feel like your informed and in tune with the industry. Same thing with the Grammy's buying a bunch of albums for $12 a pop, or watching a shitload of TV for the Emmys.

But the Tony's are only for New York theater snobs and they make sure you loving know it. It's not even an award for theater, it's for theater in one tiny section of New York City and tickets to one show start at like $80 and skyrocket from there. Over 99% of American's couldn't even go to see a single Broadway show without abandoning their entire lives for a week. It's the most elitist bullshit of all the award shows, which are all elites bullshit.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

All the award shows are garbage but I have a particular hate for the Tony's.

If you're a big movie fan, you can go to see like 50 movies a year with movie pass or $10 a ticket or whatever, and see all the movies nominated for Oscars and watch the award show and feel like your informed and in tune with the industry. Same thing with the Grammy's buying a bunch of albums for $12 a pop, or watching a shitload of TV for the Emmys.

But the Tony's are only for New York theater snobs and they make sure you loving know it. It's not even an award for theater, it's for theater in one tiny section of New York City and tickets to one show start at like $80 and skyrocket from there. Over 99% of American's couldn't even go to see a single Broadway show without abandoning their entire lives for a week. It's the most elitist bullshit of all the award shows, which are all elites bullshit.

man wtf

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

im sorry it was not fair to single you out in a thread complaining about the jokes at the motherfucking emmys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bearbaiter
May 30, 2011
hehe, white people.. lemme telle ya about white people. they think salt- get this- the friggin salt... they're like "mama mia, its too spicy!" haha. a seasoned chicken??? forget about it! theyre like "ooh, ahh, my mouth! the spice!" i mean can you believe these white ppl? they're like, "how do you pronounce this name? juhhhhh-maaaauuuuullll?" but here's the thing- theyre the one with the weird names, actually! like, they name their kids, uh... somethin like uh.... somethin like "kylee" or somethin hahah. and lemme tell you, they can not handle their freakin hot sauce! *waving my hand towards my mouth like im trying to cool off my tongue*

• Locked thread