Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I sure miss calling a taxi company and waiting 45 minutes for one to show up
I sure miss not being able to buy any product I want for the price I want delivered straight to me instead of going to a store and buying the high margin version of the product the store wants to sell that's probably crap
I sure miss going to a theater and paying $20 for a popcorn and soda instead of streaming at home
I sure miss going to gamestop and them not having the game I want because I didn't preorder or not having the mass selection of indie titles on steam
I sure miss the crapshoot of going to a bar to meet someone and not just browsing hot people on okcupid or tinder with similar interests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like going to the store :shrug:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pick posted:

same

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
I like bars still but they are super expensive. A shot, a couple of beers, and tip comes out to like $50.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is a store

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I sure miss reading good threads.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
i miss sour altoids

Can someone figure out why they stopped. Did they not make enough money?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I guess thats the only reason they wouldve stopped.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not really, but I dunno if I'm avoiding these things because of time or money.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I go to bars because getting shitfaced with live rock music is twice as fun

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah bars are still awesome what the gently caress

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

You're right, OP. Going outside sucks.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Magius1337est posted:

I sure miss the crapshoot of going to a bar to meet someone and not just browsing hot people on okcupid or tinder with similar interests

I go to the bar to drink with my friends personally :shrug:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I like bars still but they are super expensive. A shot, a couple of beers, and tip comes out to like $50.

What city do you live in?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

i bet that meeting op at a bar really enhanced the bar experience

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I kinda miss going to the mall. Never bought anything but eh.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

This isn't even true in the Bay Area, the most expensive area in the country. Unless you like to do top shelf shots I guess?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, yeah the transition to Dracula has been hard. :smith: but it does come with its benefits. Like I only come out of my casket at night but daytime tv sucks anyways. Plus like, silk capes dude? C’mon man poo poo is ill. :drac:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Yeah, yeah the transition to Dracula has been hard. :smith: but it does come with its benefits. Like I only come out of my casket at night but daytime tv sucks anyways. Plus like, silk capes dude? C’mon man poo poo is ill. :drac:

I still go to bars.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah I don’t get this. I haven’t bought a single drat thing from Amazon in at least a year and I’m just fine. Oh no, I need to expend a minimum of effort to drive 5 minutes to a Target and spend 50 cents more and get what I want right away instead of the “maybe tomorrow, maybe in a week” that Prime has become. And I don’t have yet another stupid cardboard box to break down that’s 10 times bigger than what I ordered.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Pick posted:

I like going to the store to talk to the cashiers, I mean sure they're all robots now, but still it's nice that they ask me about my day how many plastic bags I used.

I like playing the game where you scan your receipt to leave and the automatic barrier opens outwards because if you time it well enough you can smash a passing stranger in the balls.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Yeah I don’t get this. I haven’t bought a single drat thing from Amazon in at least a year and I’m just fine. Oh no, I need to expend a minimum of effort to drive 5 minutes to a Target and spend 50 cents more and get what I want right away instead of the “maybe tomorrow, maybe in a week” that Prime has become. And I don’t have yet another stupid cardboard box to break down that’s 10 times bigger than what I ordered.

Can you just order like one drink at a time off Amazon, like a bar or whatever? :thunk:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
gently caress this idiot province ruined bars and bar scene locally. Used to be 10c/25c draught nights at a few places, it made it worth going out. Sit around, get drunk on super lovely beer and watch some local talent.

Then ONE GUY fell into the river ONE TIME and they raised minimum beer prices to something stupid like $2.50. Of course, since that's the minimum you can't get anything for under $4.00. I stopped going to bars the moment $10 couldn't get two Standard Lagers with change left over.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

RobattoJesus posted:

you scan your receipt to leave

Lol, what? Cities are dystopian hellscapes

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Grocery shopping and finding the right produce for my curry is nice. spending some extra time and money to luxuriate in a coffee shop on a Sunday morning is grand. going to a dive with a few buds to get buzzed and funny loose is fantastic. Looking forward to then seeing a movie on a bigger screen through louder speakers with an audience who all react together combined into the movie experience, none of these public excursions can be replicated at home, nor would I want to.

I'm genuinely curious what you do with the extra slivers of time you accrue by never going out. I have a feeling it's not worth giving up on experiencing small details of life.

Kazak fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 18, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

:ssh: the trick is to get drunk before going to the bar

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I enjoy drinking in public

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Similarly, don't buy anything at the theaters, keep your cargos fat.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

autism ZX spectrum posted:

gently caress this idiot province ruined bars and bar scene locally. Used to be 10c/25c draught nights at a few places, it made it worth going out. Sit around, get drunk on super lovely beer and watch some local talent.

Then ONE GUY fell into the river ONE TIME and they raised minimum beer prices to something stupid like $2.50. Of course, since that's the minimum you can't get anything for under $4.00. I stopped going to bars the moment $10 couldn't get two Standard Lagers with change left over.

There's a bar near me that has miller high life drafts for $1.49 every drat day

used to be $0.99 until a couple years ago

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Can you just order like one drink at a time off Amazon, like a bar or whatever? :thunk:

I’m sure it’s in the works. Bezos won’t be happy until he delivers every aspect of your life. Actually, doesn’t Amazon have booze delivery in a few select cities?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

no I don't miss any of those things because I still actively participate in them regularly!

grocery stores are incredibly relaxing to me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Super Grocery Kart posted:

I’m sure it’s in the works. Bezos won’t be happy until he delivers every aspect of your life. Actually, doesn’t Amazon have booze delivery in a few select cities?

I bought beer at Whole Foods and it was a dollar off because I have Prime does that count

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Movie theaters rule if you have a cheap one or a hipster one. I have both.

If I want to see a new movie, it's 4 bucks on Sunday, and I sneak in some food.

If I want to go watch the new version of Suspiria or something I go to my arthouse movie, pay 8 bucks, and get a fancy beer next door and bring it inside.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Theres an Alamo not too far and some Alamo esque theaters even closer, love 2 splurge once a month and be a fat drunk hedonist in the theater

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I was worried there wasn't gonna be another thread for misanthropes to be mad about...I dunno, basic human contact. That's kind of a new one

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Fancy Hat posted:

Movie theaters rule if you have a cheap one or a hipster one. I have both.

If I want to see a new movie, it's 4 bucks on Sunday, and I sneak in some food.

If I want to go watch the new version of Suspiria or something I go to my arthouse movie, pay 8 bucks, and get a fancy beer next door and bring it inside.

there used to be a cheap theater less than 10 minutes from my place, and it was sweet being able to decide on a whim to go see a movie 5 minutes before it started and get there half way through the previews. even in downtown toronto it just cost $8 and you smoke a joint on the walk over. now i live ~20 minutes away and its not the same

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

i managed to maximize my video game time by burning all my bridges and wasting money on needlessly expensive commodities

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

there used to be a cheap theater less than 10 minutes from my place, and it was sweet being able to decide on a whim to go see a movie 5 minutes before it started and get there half way through the previews. even in downtown toronto it just cost $8 and you smoke a joint on the walk over. now i live ~20 minutes away and its not the same

I lived a 15 minute walk from a sweet artsy movie theater that did the limited-release stuff during the day, and a bunch of great classics for midnight showings. Plus they served beer. Like you said, nothing like smoking a j on a late-night walk to go see a Cronenberg film or Mad Max or something.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm super happy for you OP. I'm glad you feel so fulfilled and satisfied with your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sorry about your autism op

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I sure miss reading good threads.

• Locked thread