Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It would be a toss-up between Citizen Kane and The Godfather, both of which were part of a Cinema course I took in my senior year of high school in the fall of 2001. The teacher was a complete nerd about film, incredibly passionate about certain directors, and he drilled into us just how much of a collaborative art form film is. With Citizen Kane, that was the first time I genuinely understood what mise en scene could bring to a movie, and with The Godfather, between the luxurious cinematography, the editing (Michael's baptism in blood) and the visual symbolism--even stuff that's totally in your face on repeat viewings, like oranges--just blew me away when I was taught how to notice that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't really have a movie that did this. However, Portrait of a Lady did this for me for books and that carried over to narrative media in general.

For a second I thought you were talking about The Property of a Lady and got horribly confused before I remembered the James book. Good stuff, read that in honors English my freshman year of high school.

Astrochicken posted:

Apocalypse Now or Blade Runner. I was only really interested in plot and plot twists before but those were the first movies I wanted to understand. Turned me into a pretentious insufferable poo poo, too.

I wish I had warmed up on Blade Runner sooner than I did; I think the first time I watched it was during my freshman or sophomore year of high school, I remember renting it one night and my best friend coming over to the house to watch it, because I had been told that it was a sci-fi masterpiece (and I was already a Ridley Scott fanboy because of Alien). But neither of us were really familiar with the language of film at that point--at that point, I was just finally entering my phase of realizing that Ghostbusters is a comedy, not an action movie with the coolest car and backpacks ever--and so after it was over, we were like, "... that sucked, it was like two hours long and there was 20 minutes of plot." I eventually revisited it during my freshman year of college and I was like, :worship:

Oh, to be young and stupid again, instead of old and dying.