Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

CrossCode releases on 9/20 after 6 years in development and 3 years of that in Early Access.

http://www.cross-code.com/en/home

Trailer - https://youtu.be/zuN-5yxwogU

http://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/

CrossCode is a retro-inspired 2D Action RPG set in the distant future, combining 16-bit SNES-style graphics with butter-smooth physics, a fast-paced combat system, and engaging puzzle mechanics, served with a gripping sci-fi story. You follow a player called Lea as she logs into CrossWorlds - a fictional MMO of the distant future. Lea is not your average player though. She hast lost her memory and is (literally) mute. Now the only way to regain her memory is to play CrossWorlds, disovering all the places the game has to offer and meeting other players on the way - hoping they won't mistake her for a bot. As Lea's memory returns, a deep mystery surrounding CrossWorlds will be unraveled - and you may come to understand why a mute player is stuck in this game in the first place. CrossCode combines features of the Action-Adventure and RPG genre, delivering both, a great variety of puzzles and an engaging, fast-paced combat system.

Developed by a German game development company RadicalFish, it combines a lot of aspects of popular games like Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana/Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger and they even had inspiration from Yoshi's Island. However this is definitely not a clone of any of these, this game absolutely stands on it's own. The combat and skill trees (this game calls them Circuits and has a skill tree for each element you can wield) are impressive, combining melee and ranged using aimed spheres. Both melee and ranged get additional abilities through Circuit upgrades and some enemies are only vulnerable to one or the other. The soundtrack is incredible, it really pulls you in. Areas like Bergen Trail and Rhombus Dungeon as well as the boss fight music just seem to fit the mood, I'd say it's on par with strong indie titles like Aquaria.

I've played about 30 hours of this game during Early Access so far and it's got me hooked. I have to admit I was on the fence about getting this game because I've been burned by Early Access titles (think Day Z and No Man's Sky) but the level of polish and content put into this game, and the dedication and involvement of the devs really shows that they're committed to not only completing this but making it superb. The boss mechanics are extremely good too, they're not impossible but they're challenging enough that you'll have that victory thrust of your controller in the air when you finally beat one. It has a great story so far, good character dialogue and humor and a lot of side content. CrossCode also has random quests you can grab to obtain items to trade for weapons/armor or credits (gold) as well as experience.

My favorite boss fight so far (note they beat this one quickly because they were WAY overleveled for a contest on fastest kill) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5lt-SSWFGU

Did I mention the puzzles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOqCbtVa-4

Some of the puzzles require Lea to shoot spheres to hit switches or bounce off walls in a pattern. Some are jumping/parkour and some are a mixture of both, requiring you to quickly hit switches while jumping, melt ice blocks to open up jump points etc. There's also a TON of treasure scattered along the open areas between towns/dungeons that you can obtain by figuring out the path of ledges to jump on.

A few reviews:

https://www.destructoid.com/crosscode-is-a-beautiful-16-bit-ball-filled-adventure-288984.phtml

https://www.pixeldynamo.com/features/2015/04/22/60917/crosscode-how-to-make-a-killer-demo-without-getting-noticed/

Rynn fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

I’ll be streaming gameplay on Twitch tomorrow afternoon starting at 3:30 PM EDT, feel free to check it out! Recording will be uploaded to YouTube.

http://www.twitch.tv/echoechoochoocho

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Your review links are broken OP

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Your review links are broken OP

I fixed it, thank you!

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Another review after today’s release - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/09/20/crosscode-review/

I’ll be streaming in half an hour or so, feel free to watch!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looks fun, once I clear my backlog I'll pick it up

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
This game is legit good.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's a really great game and tons of fun. I still need to figure out what's with those invisible islands on the Bergen trail.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's a really great game and tons of fun. I still need to figure out what's with those invisible islands on the Bergen trail.

Whoa what? I didn’t notice those!

I see you have a thread too on CrossCode, do you want to make one of the main one? I don’t care either way, I just want to show the game some love.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rynn posted:

Whoa what? I didn’t notice those!

I see you have a thread too on CrossCode, do you want to make one of the main one? I don’t care either way, I just want to show the game some love.

Sure, yours has more traction so it might as well be the main. All mine has going for it is gifs. As for the invisible island It's in the NE corner of windy climb, with the suspcious green foliage Emile remarks on, if you jump down to the bottom ledge another island is revealed, which leads to another map. Got into the mine and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to melt my way through that map.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Sure, yours has more traction so it might as well be the main. All mine has going for it is gifs. As for the invisible island It's in the NE corner of windy climb, with the suspcious green foliage Emile remarks on, if you jump down to the bottom ledge another island is revealed, which leads to another map. Got into the mine and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to melt my way through that map.

aka Home of the legendary bunny :downs:

I found it yesterday while trying to jump down to get the plants there and I had a mild freakout when the islands just POPPED into existence.

It's almost criminal how little attention this game is getting right now.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm a sucker for long rear end classic rpgs (put 80hrs into Octopath and wish there was more) so this seems right up my alley. Only at the second area so far but it's very good and the combat is surprisingly deep.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah this game owns

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

mauman posted:

aka Home of the legendary bunny :downs:

I found it yesterday while trying to jump down to get the plants there and I had a mild freakout when the islands just POPPED into existence.

It's almost criminal how little attention this game is getting right now.

Yeah, I really wasn't expecting a secret ending to a random quest! Quest location: Jean in the Bergen resting area, she's on a hill in the upper right.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm glad they have two versions because that update really slowed down the game for me, thankfully the beta option works just fine. I'm liking the references to other games, they're kinda hidden and they don't beat you over the head with them, like the tetris shaped blocks in the long piece map in the desert or all the ME names in Ba'kii Kum which only show up if you examine the npcs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Ok this is driving me crazy. Where is the NPC to turn in "A Promise is A Promise" quest for the Broken Gaunlet? I picked up the quest, got it, and now I can't loving find him. I've scoured the market in every corner

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Xaris posted:

Ok this is driving me crazy. Where is the NPC to turn in "A Promise is A Promise" quest for the Broken Gaunlet? I picked up the quest, got it, and now I can't loving find him. I've scoured the market in every corner

Go up the stairs west of the market then hang a left.

Follow that alley way until you find the broken railing and drop down to him.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

are the 15 hours estimated time to beat accurate for the full game because this game's such a good homage to oldschool long rear end jrpgs and i don't want it to be over so soon

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

are the 15 hours estimated time to beat accurate for the full game because this game's such a good homage to oldschool long rear end jrpgs and i don't want it to be over so soon

Well I'm 4 hours in just after the duel with the green whats-his-face Spheromancer and it barely feels like I've even gotten started so take that as you will.

Then again I have been doing as many side quests as possible and exploring every chest that looks to be available as is usually the case when I play these games, so I may be on the high end for this part of the game.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Futaba Anzu posted:

Yeah there's not much indication yet. A bunch of the steam reviews are well over 100 but I've seen that 15hr number too. It feels like there'd be more than 15 but I'm also not that far yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Futaba Anzu posted:

At 7-8 hours in I had just beaten the first dungeon(with most sidequests so far done), so 15 hours seems like a low estimate.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I'm going to hedge a guess that the 15 hours thing involved skipping most of the side quests.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I think it highly depends on how many of the sidequests you wanna do or if you just wanna bang through the story. Just doing the story alone I can maybe see being done in ~15 hours, but if you do that you're doing yourself and the game a great disservice.

I really love this game and put around 25 hours into it before its full release. For some reason, tho, I'm having trouble getting back into it. The jumping puzzles and "hidden paths" that you can only reach by finding that single one tile high spot where you can actually get to higher elevation and then jump around a bunch like an idiot are really starting to grate on me. I've played through as much as the Early Access version would let me back in the day and I really enjoyed it but I'm barely out of the first dungeon this time around and I'm already done with "how the gently caress do you get up there jesus christ, I'm tired of running around this same map piece with no clearly visible path to get to this place". It gets even worse when you have to go like, three screens over to find a way up and then navigate some not-obvious-at-all cliff to get back to the original screen where you wanted to get up on a roof in the first place. To top it off, the game does absolutely not let up with this. It's all over the paths between the quest hubs, it's in the quest hubs itself, it's loving everywhere. Just don't make me do so much platforming unless your game is a, you know, platformer :( Don't even get me started on that botanist quest...

I really enjoy the combat system with the single caveat that I find all the pits and water and stuff insanely annoying. It just breaks up the flow when you constantly knock all the enemies into the water or off a cliff and then they re-materialize and take a bunch of damage just for you to get two hits in before they fly off again. Or you fly off the cliff yourself. Or the worst one, you get too close to a screen transition and your combo just takes you to the next screen and resets all the enemies.

It also feels like they balanced the game to be a lot harder than it used to be. It's not impossible or anything, but I die a lot more than I remember dying on my first round through. Not necessarily a bad thing, and the respawns are pretty fair, but it just kinda adds to me going "I don't have time for this poo poo". I hope I can just sit down and get back into the groove, but right now I feel like I can't do more than about an hour or so and then I'm a little fed up with it. Doesn't help that my lizard brain is apparently hard-wired to be all "YOU MUST COMPLETE EVERYTHING!", so just skipping the annoying jumping puzzle sidequests and other stuff that annoys me is somehow an impossible task.

Last but not least, gently caress those Snowmen :mad:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

abraxas posted:

It also feels like they balanced the game to be a lot harder than it used to be. It's not impossible or anything, but I die a lot more than I remember dying on my first round through. Not necessarily a bad thing, and the respawns are pretty fair, but it just kinda adds to me going "I don't have time for this poo poo". I hope I can just sit down and get back into the groove, but right now I feel like I can't do more than about an hour or so and then I'm a little fed up with it. Doesn't help that my lizard brain is apparently hard-wired to be all "YOU MUST COMPLETE EVERYTHING!", so just skipping the annoying jumping puzzle sidequests and other stuff that annoys me is somehow an impossible task.

along this line does the game ever expect you to utilize the dash canceling to a major degree because whoa dang i can keep up an infinite combo going for like three loops before my fingers get confused and i misfire an extra dash or flub the combo

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

abraxas posted:

This. Until you’re around 17 or 18 they gently caress your poo poo up. Then there’s a spot where there’s TWO. :mad:

Also I get it on getting frustrated on the parkour and puzzles. I live stream/record my gameplay but I take an hour or so at a time unrecorded to do the overworld ledge jump/switch puzzles so I don’t record myself getting pissed after missing a jump or spending 30-45 mins figuring out how to ricochet a ball just right. But every puzzle I do I get better at the next.

Rynn fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 24, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The crab boss at the end of the demo dribbled me like a basketball. I am not good at videogames. :(

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Bieeanshee posted:

The crab boss at the end of the demo dribbled me like a basketball. I am not good at videogames. :(

Just watch his shadow and dash out of the way. Wait for him to open up then melee his core. You’ll see the pattern eventually, keep trying!

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

oh hey, a thread for this beautiful game! nice! i played through about half of Autumn Rise, decided i loved the hell out of the game, and promptly set it the hell down until release. been playing it the last couple days and it's just such a fun and pretty game. you can sorta tell the developers/writers are German since the dialogue is a little stilted at times but that adds to the charm imo.

only complaints from me are: what the hell is up with the crappy market system? it'd be fine if there was a way to filter the vendors and search for specific types of things you want but holy crap is it incredibly obtuse. i basically have just started ignoring it and instead use the gear i get from quest rewards and boxes because they usually keep my gear level roughly on par with my character level.

why are the maps the most useless things imaginable? i don't need a minimap but i would like it if the map had literally any detail in it whatsoever, or at least a marker for where your character is on the map so i can place these little chest notes down where the chest actually is instead of where i think the chest might be.

plot spoilers (sort of): is there an actual story to this game? the prologue and intro to chapter 1 seemed to imply there was going to be some big story about, i dunno, digital gods or something, and it's kind of obvious you're either related to or are the character from the intro, but after that the only movement of that plot has been weird dreams i don't really understand. i'm not complaing too much though because hanging out with my friends and guild family is fun as heck and incredibly cute.

Emilienator for best supporting character 2020 imo

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A second thread?? And this one has all the replies??

Well okay then.

Time: I'm on hour 48 and I'm just into the endgame/final stretch. It's been a great ride so far but I'm worried that if it gets much harder I'm going to be physically incapable of finishing it. My hands just are not flexible enough for this poo poo. The puzzles at least I can unpick if I just stick at them long enough.

The Ape & Whale boss fight at the top of the big tree was equal parts "YOU ARE THE BEST BOSS FIGHT EVER" and "My haaaaaaaaaaands". I think I may have kept my neighbours up screaming obscenities at the computer screen. :blush:

Syndlig posted:

plot spoilers (sort of): is there an actual story to this game? the prologue and intro to chapter 1 seemed to imply there was going to be some big story about, i dunno, digital gods or something, and it's kind of obvious you're either related to or are the character from the intro, but after that the only movement of that plot has been weird dreams i don't really understand. i'm not complaing too much though because hanging out with my friends and guild family is fun as heck and incredibly cute.

Yes, absolutely.

Futaba Anzu posted:

along this line does the game ever expect you to utilize the dash canceling to a major degree because whoa dang i can keep up an infinite combo going for like three loops before my fingers get confused and i misfire an extra dash or flub the combo

After a certain point I found combat to be mostly about unloading/dodging specials, chain-comboing basic attacks isn't much of a thing.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

yeah basically i just dodge around to clump the enemies up if at all possible, wade in to smack them a few times in neutral to build up my bars and lower overload, then unleash an elemental special on their faces. only completed the second temple so far but this is super effective against everything but those loving bone fish.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

abraxas posted:

After beating the temple I came back there to do some quests you need the heat element for and boy those snowmen got chumped on hard. I think I need to search Bergen some more because I found an optional boss and got a broken shield just like with that broken gauntlet quest.

Autonomous Monster posted:

A second thread?? And this one has all the replies??

As long as more people find out about this great game I don't mind.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

After beating the temple I came back there to do some quests you need the heat element for and boy those snowmen got chumped on hard. I think I need to search Bergen some more because I found an optional boss and got a broken shield just like with that broken gauntlet quest.

yeah there seems to be a "Broken *" quest in every town. the guy's in some pretty well-hidden spots (seriously how do some of these characters get to these places, wtf).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I clocked in at 22 hours in early access going through everything, including the story so beating it in 15 hours first time through is definitely skipping a bunch of side stuff.

I like the music, although the battle theme gets me in trouble sometimes (MUST. CHAIN. MORE!)

Syndlig posted:

yeah there seems to be a "Broken *" quest in every town. the guy's in some pretty well-hidden spots (seriously how do some of these characters get to these places, wtf).

It's rather nifty that idling player-npc characters are a sort of hidden hint that you can get to where they are in a bunch of the maps. I started a new game for release so I'm not sure if that 100% holds up, but I know all throughout the field maps that's what they're there for.

Syndlig posted:

only complaints from me are: what the hell is up with the crappy market system? it'd be fine if there was a way to filter the vendors and search for specific types of things you want but holy crap is it incredibly obtuse. i basically have just started ignoring it and instead use the gear i get from quest rewards and boxes because they usually keep my gear level roughly on par with my character level.
The pop up when you get close to them is pretty much exactly that, combined that most of the trade markets pop up right before you go to an area where the stuff they want actually drops so you can make sort of a checklist. It's not great and aside from a few things it pretty much just boils down to 'clear out an area, go back and buy what you want you'll probably have what you need.'

Syndlig posted:

why are the maps the most useless things imaginable? i don't need a minimap but i would like it if the map had literally any detail in it whatsoever, or at least a marker for where your character is on the map so i can place these little chest notes down where the chest actually is instead of where i think the chest might be.

Map teleporting and Stamps are cool but yeah, I agree that it you kinda need need a more precise 'you are here' dot rather than the old style metroid/link 'you are in this room' sort of map to make the stamps maximally useful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The battle theme really makes me think of Kingdom Hearts and I'm not 100% sure why. I really like this game genre of games-that-fake-being-MMOs-but-are-entirely-single-player, nice to see a non-Japanese developers take on it.

Edit: Also I'm not sure how anyone can beat this game in 15 hours unless they skip everything. As an obsessive treasure hunter and sidequest person, I'm at 12 hours and only just reached the desert town...

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 24, 2018

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm 15 hours in and haven't gone into the second temple, didn't collect all the treasures or do all the quests.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Hi, thread! Hi!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
hey I'm real bad at this game where is the RHG HQ, I found the other two factions instantly but am just kinda dicking around town looking for their place

slash beating up totally legit-original-normal Hedgehags

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

DACK FAYDEN posted:

hey I'm real bad at this game where is the RHG HQ, I found the other two factions instantly but am just kinda dicking around town looking for their place

slash beating up totally legit-original-normal Hedgehags

It's the map just West of the Market, just before you go on the Autumn Path. Head up some stairs/pathway just before you leave Rookie town. There's not much there besides a consumable and equipment shop, can't miss it too much. I didn't find it for awhile either

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Go up the stairs west of the market then hang a left.

Follow that alley way until you find the broken railing and drop down to him.

Also thanks for this! I don't know how I managed to stumble upon him in town and then completely loving forget where I picked up the quest. I do wish the map was more informative with available NPCs and a dot showing current position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Just beat this. Took me around 28 hours to do so. I enjoyed the puzzles the most (except a few), and overall it was a pretty fun game. There are however a lot of things that I think they really missed the boat on.

The jumping stuff is unbelievably annoying. I really wish they had come up with a better way to show the high differences between places as it can be super frustrating. The trading system is also really annoying and just serves to obfuscate things way more than they need to be. I get that they wanted you to kill different monsters/plants and find rare materials but it just gets to be a chore when you're missing one of 15 of something or whatever. They definitely could do without that.

The combat can be fun at times and irritating at best at others. I really don't like that jumping enemies can change their trajectory mid flight, which makes things a lot more annoying to dodge. Also the circuit system has way too many options and choices that don't really feel meaningful like +6% damage or whatever. I also have no idea why there are so many different status effects that items can give that don't feel like they have a real impact on the way that the game plays.

Finally, the most irritating part of the game was having to do something really annoying/not fun, then having your party members make jokes about how awful/not fun it was. This happens multiple times. If you know that something is irritating then why even put it in a game in the first place when it's supposed to be enjoyable? I get that it's making fun of MMOs that make you do pointless stuff that can be annoying, but it really gave the game pacing issues.

Oh yeah, when you get to a part where you have to chase something through bushes and find it, if you're using a controller, switch to keyboard at that part. The controller for some reason makes you get stuck on things that you could be able to walk through. Keyboard doesn't seem to have that issue.