Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man the last puzzle in the desert dungeon is a motherfucker of timing. It's not difficult conceptually but the execution is really tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm 15 hours in and haven't gone into the second temple, didn't collect all the treasures or do all the quests.

I’m about the same, I did some quests and gathering to get the Giga Spiral Drill weapon and level up before I meet Apollo again so I can beat his rear end this time :mad:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
real bad at video games

real frustrated by jumps I can't figure out how to make that are also like a full screen away from where I wanna end up

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

ok i take back my question on "does the plot ever happen" because holy poo poo does it ever happen.

i gotta say, the reveal that you're actually an AI caught me off guard, i was so certain Lea was just Shizuka with amnesia. i cottoned on to Lukas being an AI pretty quickly though since if you look in the party menu, Schneider will level up in your party but not in your contacts (where he was listed as Offline). still made Lea's reaction when you meet Real Lukas again heartbreaking.

is there a way to go back to Vermillion Wasteland? i got all the chests but i wanna go see Evolukas again, i miss him already :(

DACK FAYDEN posted:

real bad at video games

real frustrated by jumps I can't figure out how to make that are also like a full screen away from where I wanna end up

hell, :same:. i gave up on finding most of the jumps in maroon valley because that place fuckin' sucks. all the zones before and after it are way better at telegraphing their jumping puzzles, makes that zone stand out a lot more as a "fuuuck this".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Something I found helpful with the jumping puzzles was using the aim indicator to check what height everything around me was at. A lot of the time I find something I think I should be able to reach is actually on the Z-level above me.

Also, as a general rule: always take the option to gain height, never accept losing height if you can help it. Gaining height is easily reversible, losing it might mean backtracking to an entirely different area. Figuring out where to gain the height you need tends to be about 70% of the puzzle. It took me forever to figure out that Autumn's Fall was expecting me to climb using the ruined walls.

Whoever decided to have jumping puzzles in a game with no implicit jumping and a graphical style that indicates height ambiguously needs to be shot imo.

e: On top of everything else, Maroon Valley has some of the most frustrating enemies going in terms of limited windows of vulnerability, so wandering around not knowing what you're supposed to do is a lot more exhausting there. gently caress it.

e2: Shokats/the samurai bugs/those sloths and pandas have more challenging and interesting combat behaviour but those skeleton fish win the pain in the rear end award hands down.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 26, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Skeleton Fish were annoying until I figured out that hitting them with a charged ball at any point when they're out of the sand breaks them.

Then they just became timing minigames.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I like the jumping because it reminds me of old school k mmos and also golden sun

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

Skeleton Fish were annoying until I figured out that hitting them with a charged ball at any point when they're out of the sand breaks them.

Then they just became timing minigames.

You beautiful bastard, thank you

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I assume they're less lovely with a mouse but this Defend The Crate From 50 Fish quest is straight garbage

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm loving the game, the perspective on the jumping puzzles is kind of garbage at times for sure but it's great when you finally figure out a route to that obscure-rear end area and get some goodies out of it. Like someone else said upthread, firing a couple shots usually helps you check the height of various things well enough to get by.

I do wish the whole crafting system thing were better implemented - but I'm also finding that you don't really need to engage with it much so long as you're doing all the quests, as you'll get plenty of rare equipment to help fill out your stats. The only downside is that it'll tend to leave you lacking in one stat a lot - for a while I was missing attack, for a while I was missing defence - in a system where you kind of want everything due to the way you have to survive against many enemies until you can break them.

As far as chests go I'm finding it useful to stick a bunch of stickers on the map whenever possible, reminding me of where to go / go back to in order to get things done. The path to the third shrine is kind of enormous and I'm slow and thorough enough I'll probably spend a lifetime there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game has some extraordinarily frustrating optional bosses.

Edit: Also, is there one of those weird plants in Bergen?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 28, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Weird plants? The spouts, that drop stones? Yes. There's one in every town. Note: the Cave Inn is not a town

Has anyone found the bonus boss/old guy in Sapphire Ridge, by the way? I really hope this questline doesn't just fizzle out.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

I’ve come to realize that the bosses are actually not the challenge in this game, it’s the dungeon puzzles.

The puzzle *is* the boss I guess.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Rynn posted:

I’ve come to realize that the bosses are actually not the challenge in this game, it’s the dungeon puzzles.

The puzzle *is* the boss I guess.

agreed, but also, holy gently caress is Son Wukong and his giant pet whale the hardest fight i've had in the game so far.

Broken Cog posted:

This game has some extraordinarily frustrating optional bosses.

Edit: Also, is there one of those weird plants in Bergen?

yep! gotta hop around on rooftops to get to it, it's probably one of the easier ones since you can randomly run into it. speaking of those, is there one in Rookie Harbor? i've gotten one from bergen and one from the desert town, i'm assuming there's one hidden somewhere in bastion keep too...

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 28, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Game is still fun. I still suck at jumping.

There aren't chests you can't get later except for keys and element-locked stuff, right? There's no like "secret longer jump" I'm going to get 90% of the way through the game?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Syndlig posted:

yep! gotta hop around on rooftops to get to it, it's probably one of the easier ones since you can randomly run into it. speaking of those, is there one in Rookie Harbor? i've gotten one from bergen and one from the desert town, i'm assuming there's one hidden somewhere in bastion keep too...

Yep, but you cant get it until you're done with the desert area. It's in the northern part of town.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Syndlig posted:

agreed, but also, holy gently caress is Son Wukong and his giant pet whale the hardest fight i've had in the game so far.

loving love that fight :allears:

Final puzzle & boss were roughly equal difficulty, though I was probably overlevelled for the boss. Speaking of, I finished the game! 62 hours! Woo!

...I wish it was longer :negative:

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

if they don't add a boss rush mode to the game i will be sad.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Game is still fun. I still suck at jumping.

There aren't chests you can't get later except for keys and element-locked stuff, right? There's no like "secret longer jump" I'm going to get 90% of the way through the game?

keys and elements are the only requirements, there's no jump booster. apparently there used to be a bug where you could abuse the tier 2 fire guard laser beam attack to push yourself back onto areas you shouldn't get to but that was patched out.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

loving love that fight :allears:

Final puzzle & boss were roughly equal difficulty, though I was probably overlevelled for the boss. Speaking of, I finished the game! 62 hours! Woo!

...I wish it was longer :negative:

NG+ will be coming in a future update! I’ll definitely play through a second time after I beat it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Syndlig posted:

keys and elements are the only requirements, there's no jump booster. apparently there used to be a bug where you could abuse the tier 2 fire guard laser beam attack to push yourself back onto areas you shouldn't get to but that was patched out.
Good. Means I can try to get stuff as soon as I show up! And then give up and fail and move on, because I'm not very good at this.

edit: holy poo poo the second boss is frustrating. Constant elemental overload and I can't figure out how to time the shots in the second phase to jump across to where you have to be to actually deal damage, and it'll regen all the way back up to full if you fail that repeatedly

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 29, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Second temple boss?

You want to freeze the bubbles when they're about halfway between platforms so you can jump between them easily. As for dealing with elemental overload, get in the habit of switching to neutral when your screen start's glowing brightly to cool down a bit before switching back into your damage dealing element.

Also use Ice element's melee art. It does supercalifragalisticexpealidocious amounts of damage to anything you can hit with hit, which is often bosses in their break state.

Edit: also what is this game with these references freakin Sephisloth hahahahaha

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 29, 2018

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sapphire Ridge is definitely reaching the point where it's getting unpleasantly difficult. Even with a significant amount of defence, the enemies are tearing me up really fast.

e: I thought I had a significant amount of defence but looking them up on the forum lists a dude at my level who expects to have 435 defence? Are you just expected to go full def or something?

Stelas fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 29, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Only if you’re running a DEF build, I think? I went all on ATT and my DEF was like 166 by Sapphire Ridge. I would die very fast if I hosed up but mostly I just dodged and made big numbers fly out of people. Live fast, kill fast, die fast :black101:

The samurai bugs can be a pain in the dick and the pandas are lethal but the spiders are pretty easy. Just get up in the middle of them and spam the second level shock melee art where you spin.

What’s your level/gear level/stats

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

What’s your level/gear level/stats

51/51, ATK 250ish DEF 350ish FOC 250ish. Bugs will happily tag me a few times in a row for a quarter of my HP a time. It's getting pretty obnoxious, though at least I've been able to get a couple of updated bits of equip.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

where the gently caress are these last 3 Amperies. this is the worst quest.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Came to complain about jumping, see that a lot of people have beaten me to it!

Really though, the whole mechanic can go gently caress itself. It'd be less infuriating if it wasn't loving everywhere and was never expanded over more then one map screen. It's very much prompting me to take the old school "does this sound like a pain in the rear end? SKIP" approach to avoiding sidequests.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I think the verticality of the levels is a neat idea but agree that the execution can get annoying sometimes.

My primary complaint is more signposting of jumping start areas (infected forest, that One Shroom) and of the jumping shortcuts in the areas. They're nice, but not when you hop down from just out of viewrange from them :shepicide:

Edit: also holy wow Sapphire Ridge is way better about it than Gaia's Garden.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 30, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
New update moved the Continue button above the New Game button (where it should have been all along) on the title screen.

A Good Update.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

are there any hidden zones in Autumn's Fall? i'm at 26/28 chests but the chest detector isn't beeping in any of the zones any more. i'm also missing the "Portrait of Ruin" for the Fall Booster.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Syndlig posted:

are there any hidden zones in Autumn's Fall? i'm at 26/28 chests but the chest detector isn't beeping in any of the zones any more. i'm also missing the "Portrait of Ruin" for the Fall Booster.

There's one west of the 2nd area

Syndlig posted:

where the gently caress are these last 3 Amperies. this is the worst quest.

Use Analysis - a marker will show on up the edge of the screen if there's any left.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh poo poo there's a chest detector when do I get that

also where's the third quest from the gentleman in funny gear the dude in all-class armor who wants broken gear, I mean cause I found the first two but that was towns ago

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh poo poo there's a chest detector when do I get that

also where's the third quest from the gentleman in funny gear the dude in all-class armor who wants broken gear, I mean cause I found the first two but that was towns ago

Chest Detector is an endgame item, you get it in the last chapter when you get access to the big central hub that the devs are gonna add the DLC stuff to.

kinda hope they let Lea get a house in the player housing area, would be really cute to have a home you could decorate.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He's in one of the desert town houses, the door is not incredibly obvious but the map should give you a good idea where

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

also don't think you're going crazy when you can't find the 5th quest for it - the devs haven't finished that questline and it'll be added in a later patch, so it just ends after "A Promise is a Promise 4"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stelas posted:

He's in one of the desert town houses, the door is not incredibly obvious but the map should give you a good idea where
oh yeah he must be in one of the two that are... probably south somewhere, I have two un-entered and also can't figure out how to get up there, that'll do it :shobon:

Syndlig posted:

also don't think you're going crazy when you can't find the 5th quest for it - the devs haven't finished that questline and it'll be added in a later patch, so it just ends after "A Promise is a Promise 4"
aww come on people don't call your game 1.0 if it's not 1.0 I'm touchy about this

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just found a goat translator. I love this game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh yeah he must be in one of the two that are... probably south somewhere, I have two un-entered and also can't figure out how to get up there, that'll do it :shobon:

off the top of my head, start from the balcony of the quest hub, jump to the east edge of the map, then follow the edge around to the south

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Syndlig posted:

Aw c'mon are you kidding me? I don't mind not having the bonus content like the arena or whatever, but at least finish the most intriguing sidequest plotline before release, guys.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

so i beat the game last night. pretty fun game, sad to see it end! still gotta find all the chests and finish my botanics, also gotta figure out what that last quest for Basin Keep is that's keeping me from 100%ing it...

finale spoilers: did the end feel extremely rushed to anyone else? aside from the really cool battle with the Blue Avatar, the game's ending was kind of... eh. no way to save Gautham, seriously? where the hell were Jet & the crew? Lea logs off, roll credits? the after-credits scene was also just a complete tease since all you can do at that point is just rollback time to Chapter 10, there's no post-game content.

also i kind of expected a completely different story based on the world setting and the initial interaction with the Blue Avatar. the interaction feels really disconnected with the following plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stelas posted:

off the top of my head, start from the balcony of the quest hub, jump to the east edge of the map, then follow the edge around to the south
gently caress me, you can get somewhere relevant from that balcony? I tried to jump to the pillars and down around the teleporter and then gave up. That's gotta be it, thanks.