Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Does the game ever stop wrenching control away to show you something happening? Because it feels like it happens quite a lot.

Maybe I'm just annoyed because it was happening every 10 seconds in the middle of a very difficult boss fight to show me a red penguin beatboxing. It interrupted the flow of combat so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
No but it usually does that to show you that something important is happening with the boss, either after you hit it past an HP bar section or it does something you really need to know about.

The beatbox penguin is probably the worst case of that (because it's just him summoning normal penguins.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 13, 2018

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think the dungeons are my least favorite part of the game so far. I'm in the second one and there have been multiple instances of me understanding what I need to do but actually executing it is very aggravating due to tight timing windows.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Republicans posted:

I think the dungeons are my least favorite part of the game so far. I'm in the second one and there have been multiple instances of me understanding what I need to do but actually executing it is very aggravating due to tight timing windows.

I was stuck on the part with the pillars that bounce your flame around for a good while last night. After I got the first key and moved into the locked room I hit a brick wall. I'll get back at it tonight. I'm a little frustrated with the dungeons because of the race component competitive time trial between you and your group members. I don't think there are any gameplay dis/advantages for the race, only dialogue changes, but it feels like the game is urging you to rush in a way that detracts from the puzzle solving and exploration. I don't like time limits. They make me feel rushed for time, regardless of how generous they are.

e: second dungeon. ^^^ the pillars that vertically redirect your fire shots and fill up that central meter when you're actively hitting them all

And Apollo remains the most obnoxious and worst part of the game. I think the worst part of him, besides his lovely dude online harassing a woman behavior, is how he cheats. He's an equivalent level of the same class but you can't do one tenth of the poo poo he pulls: dodging 10 times in a row, spamming abilities over the course of 5 seconds that cost more SP than you can generate during the entire fight, and pulling out that homing missile spam special ability that (as far as I can tell) simply doesn't exist for you.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 13, 2018

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
The "babysit a slowed-down shot while it hits all these pillars in order" is basically the capstone puzzle to every dungeon. I kinda wish it wasn't because I prefer cleverly figuring out what a room wants me to do as opposed to knowing what a room wants me to do but being restrained by my feeble human reflexes for awhile. As I played the game, though, they seemed to get easier despite increasing in complexity as time goes on, so I guess you just get better at doing them? Hopefully.

You aren't obligated to fire the shot and learn on the fly, so after the first couple dungeons when I'd hit a timed puzzle like that I'd do dry runs across the entire room lowering all the necessary barriers as fast as possible so I'd ingrain some of the reactions before I'd have to do it for real. Even the super crazy one at the end only took a half dozen legit attempts after a bit of practice.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

huh I didn’t know they were actually timed for the dialogue afterward, just assumed she always narrowly won. I did my best to find everything in them so far. also definitely misread “because of the race component” initially.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

b_d posted:

huh I didn’t know they were actually timed for the dialogue afterward, just assumed she always narrowly won. I did my best to find everything in them so far.

also definitely misread “because of the race component” initially.

I won [the first dungeon] after taking what I presumed to be a lengthy detour to double back for the one dynamite I missed (I never found it, even after coming back later, pasting every map into mspaint, checking off each room in sequence, with the detector turned on. no fuckin idea where that dynamite is). I think I read on the steam boards that the timer for that was 90 minutes?

I misread it as I was editing my own post. I'll .. tweak that line a little.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 13, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bummey posted:

I won the first one. I think I read on the steam boards that the timer for that was 90 minutes?

Something like that. I won all of them and the time limits are pretty generous. About the only thing I didn't do was go out of the way to grab chests I missed/forgot about, even getting stuck on doing puzzles 5/6 times was enough for me to win the race usually.

In a way, the impromptu races sort of helped me 'get in the zone' for solving all the puzzles as quickly as I could. I didn't stress too much about losing the dungeon race since I always dropped a save before the dungeon and could always go back to that in case I did lose.

This bit me in the butt once later.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Something like that. I won all of them and the time limits are pretty generous. About the only thing I didn't do was go out of the way to grab chests I missed/forgot about, even getting stuck on doing puzzles 5/6 times was enough for me to win the race usually.

In a way, the impromptu races sort of helped me 'get in the zone' for solving all the puzzles as quickly as I could. I didn't stress too much about losing the dungeon race since I always dropped a save before the dungeon and could always go back to that in case I did lose.

This bit me in the butt once later.

I'm guessing you tried to beat apollo?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Pretty sure there's an achievement for winning every one of the races, I think I saw it in the menu.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bummey posted:

And Apollo remains the most obnoxious and worst part of the game. I think the worst part of him, besides his lovely dude online harassing a woman behavior, is how he cheats. He's an equivalent level of the same class but you can't do one tenth of the poo poo he pulls: dodging 10 times in a row, spamming abilities over the course of 5 seconds that cost more SP than you can generate during the entire fight, and pulling out that homing missile spam special ability that (as far as I can tell) simply doesn't exist for you.

You mean the level 2 charged shot ability that definitely exists for the player? Also I've never seen him dodge more than three times in a row. I'm pretty sure he doesn't cheat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You can also, if you time it right, dash more than three times in a row. You need to pause really quickly before you can.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SirSamVimes posted:

You mean the level 2 charged shot ability that definitely exists for the player? Also I've never seen him dodge more than three times in a row. I'm pretty sure he doesn't cheat.

I don't think he'd cheat. He's not actually the type, since he's more interested in people witnessing honorable fights between two spheromancers than anything else. He doesn't really care if he wins as long as the battle is exciting, so why would he cheat?
But it is kinda scummy how he already played the whole game and is using this character to duel complete newbies who have similar levels. Of course he'd be better that way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The main advantage Apollo has is, being AI controlled, he's faster than your reflexes outside of getting stunned/his 'i just did a big attack and now i'm vulnerable because this is a video game.' Also yeah he doesn't need to charge his SP like you do but his attack patterns take that into account (he doesn't spam SP moves like you can.)

He has a set moveset that you can totally imitate if you choose to. He prefers mobility-based melee and dash arts and homing ranged arts. He's bad at Guard Arts in my experience though, or at least he only ever hit me with one of them and I can't even remember what particular one it was.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Pretty sure there's an achievement for winning every one of the races, I think I saw it in the menu.

There is and looking that up kept my butt from getting bitten a second time :v:
Because yes, I did try to beat Apollo in the dungeon race. Oh well, I'll settle for beating him in all the duels.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 14, 2018

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I've only fought Apollo twice so far but I kicked his rear end both times because of my guard/pin armor mods. I just block everything he throws at me and he kills himself.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I just started this yesterday, just beat the ice dungeon and all of the mountain sidequests, and I'm really enjoying the bizarre narrative/flavourtext interplay between "this is a video game that you are stuck inside of and must play according to the rules", "this is a video game that is enjoyable and people like to play it", and "this is a video game made by idiots/monsters." I'm looking forward to the moment when that cognitive dissonance snaps and the entire thing starts to unravel because I'm pretty sure that's what the narrative's building toward.

E: Also I want to see Mark Brown map these dungeons out because that first one was both very linear and also very satisfyingly meaty.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 15, 2018

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm about 35 hours into this and loving it after waiting over a year to play when I saw it in Early Access.

Just made it to the city in Gaia's Garden and I think I'm in the middle of the quest to open the Wave Temple.

It's really disappointing to see not very many people talking about this game -- I hope it doesn't end up completely ignored because it deserves a much bigger audience than I've seen talking about it.

For those of you who're further than I am -- any fun builds you recommend? I still have all my Circuit Overrides and really don't have any idea what I've been putting my points into. I've been doing pretty well so far focusing on attack and defense and mostly ignoring throw and dash, but I feel like I'm not fully taking advantage of the battle system, but don't want to blow my Overrides until I'm sure about what I'm doing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You won't max out your skill trees without spending a lot of time in the 'postgame' grinding - so when it comes down to it the best thing to do is pick the style of fighting you like most and make sure you can get access to level 3 moves. After that, the cost of skills generally means it's best to start snapping up every statup you can cheapest first. I couldn't be bothered to guard for poo poo and the dash moves were kind of annoying to do on pad, so I just made sure I had access to Melee 3 and Ranged 3.

It's important to keep track of what your equipment's doing to your stats. There's a large portion of the game where equipping all the latest stuff you can will give you sky-high focus but tank your attack and defence, for instance. Making sure the equipment mods match your style of play will be more effective.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

God that last dungeon sucks. It's not hard it's just a tedious slog, right down to the final boss. Reaffirming my stance that the dungeons are the worst part of the game.

Still, I'm glad I played through it and I hope the post-game content is good.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man this final boss just goes on and on. It already seems longer than any other boss and I'm only like a quarter through his health.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Aerox posted:

For those of you who're further than I am -- any fun builds you recommend? I still have all my Circuit Overrides and really don't have any idea what I've been putting my points into. I've been doing pretty well so far focusing on attack and defense and mostly ignoring throw and dash, but I feel like I'm not fully taking advantage of the battle system, but don't want to blow my Overrides until I'm sure about what I'm doing.
I personally haven't found much use for Guard or Dash Arts myself (unless there's some hidden OP one?) Mostly because also keeping track of them and i find hitting the dash art really awkward and clumsy, it ust ends up doing melee art most of the time. I guess the Always Perfect Guard Arts might be decent? I probably don't block as much as I should. Throw arts are great though--especially like the ice blast.

I did ignore the left-side of the tree just because more HP doesn't seem that great--I'd rather be killing poo poo faster. I've gone mostly in the bottom and right side with some of the defense stuff up top. Basically same for the elemental--focusing on melee, throw arts, and grabbing stuff like more damage, more focus, longer invuln frames, more critical damage. I think it seems to be working but I also haven't beat the game yet.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xaris posted:

I personally haven't found much use for Guard or Dash Arts myself (unless there's some hidden OP one?) Mostly because also keeping track of them and i find hitting the dash art really awkward and clumsy, it ust ends up doing melee art most of the time. I guess the Always Perfect Guard Arts might be decent? I probably don't block as much as I should. Throw arts are great though--especially like the ice blast.

I did ignore the left-side of the tree just because more HP doesn't seem that great--I'd rather be killing poo poo faster. I've gone mostly in the bottom and right side with some of the defense stuff up top. Basically same for the elemental--focusing on melee, throw arts, and grabbing stuff like more damage, more focus, longer invuln frames, more critical damage. I think it seems to be working but I also haven't beat the game yet.

I mean the level 3 aoe shock dash art is pretty insanely good. I don't know about the others, but spamming that is what won me the Shizuka fight

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Xaris posted:

As a heads up, you will want to at least make sure that your green element has actually learnt skills - there are bosses whose mechanic involves matching the right element and having no stats worth a drat will make your life suck. It's not like you're wasting any SP, given all the forms have their own stock of SP.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like the Wave skill tree because it has a lot of regeneration and also some arts that cause you to drain health so I basically use it as my healing tree.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Wave also has a good level 2 dash art in Toxic Revenant, which spawns a decoy that enemies go after and it also pulses damage to them so you can use it, heal, and get back in the fight nicely.

The level 3 Guard Art is also pretty baller: you lose a bunch of health, go invincible and the amount of damage you would have taken during your invincibility turns into a heal and a giant explosion.

Let's see, Shock also has a good guard art in it's Glitch Time. I only used it a few times but it's really good against annoying wave enemies that keep punching you out of combos or for setting up a huge hail of bullets to just collapse on the enemy all at once.

In general I prefer the Perfect Guard art's because they're flashy-as-heck combos and those are always nice. I too had problems with getting Dash arts to work so I haven't used them that much aside from Toxic Revenant above. And I didn't have enough CP to get Gungnir before I beat the game :v:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 19, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gobblecoque posted:

Man this final boss just goes on and on. It already seems longer than any other boss and I'm only like a quarter through his health.

The first phase is super tedious.

The second phase is super awesome.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stelas posted:

As a heads up, you will want to at least make sure that your green element has actually learnt skills - there are bosses whose mechanic involves matching the right element and having no stats worth a drat will make your life suck. It's not like you're wasting any SP, given all the forms have their own stock of SP.

Whoops sorry I meant left side of the center tree.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Republicans posted:

God that last dungeon sucks. It's not hard it's just a tedious slog, right down to the final boss. Reaffirming my stance that the dungeons are the worst part of the game.

Still, I'm glad I played through it and I hope the post-game content is good.

:agreed: I quit out after like 5 rooms of the second dungeon and haven't gotten any further since. Every time I start it up I remember I'm at the dungeon and alt f4 to go do something else. I should just trudge through it.. I like the rest of the game (not you, apollo) but the dungeon puzzles just don't do it for me.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

iospace posted:

Gonna go through all the elements again one at a time, eh? That's cool. Oh and you brought back the snail boss gimmick (which in that context was rad as hell) to make it even longer. Cool cool.

The second phase should have had three parts using all elements the entire time. The first being like how most of the fight is, you can use the snail gimmick in the second and use the third to introduce some new way of him cheating and you working around it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

iospace posted:

Yeah, thankfully it also happened to be just about the easiest boss in the game outside of the tutorials. I was in the mindset that if I died at any point I'd be like gently caress doing that again I'll just look up the ending but thankfully that never happened.

Bummey posted:

:agreed: I quit out after like 5 rooms of the second dungeon and haven't gotten any further since. Every time I start it up I remember I'm at the dungeon and alt f4 to go do something else. I should just trudge through it.. I like the rest of the game (not you, apollo) but the dungeon puzzles just don't do it for me.

The dungeons have a habit of outstaying their welcome but for what it's worth the first two dungeons felt like way more of a pain than the others. Part of it is probably getting used to the game's puzzles over time but those first two are certainly longer and more tedious than the others. So it does get better, I guess.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
So today the 1.0.1 patch came out.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/368340/announcements/detail/1688180265711126610

quote:

CrossCode is a game designed with challenge in mind for both combat and puzzles. However, not all players appreciate this higher difficulty and for some the game becomes downright inaccessible because of it.

That's why version 1.0.1 introduces the Assist Mode that allows you to tweak the difficulty of the game in a detailed manner. If combat is too fast and enemies too hard hitting for you, you can downscale attack frequency and received damage respectively. And if the timed puzzled are too annoying for you to solve, you can downscale the speed / increase the duration of puzzle elements to simplify the execution.

I've said more than a few angry words at and about the game since I picked it up, so a granular scale to adjust the difficulty as desired is very much appreciated.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not pictured in that first image: Emilie running far, far away

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doing difficulty like this is cool, it reminds me of Celeste's assist mode.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Doing difficulty like this is cool, it reminds me of Celeste's assist mode.

More games need accessibility features like this. "Story mode" is one of those things that I've always liked the idea of, where the difficulty of the gameplay is toned down, puzzles can be skipped, etc. for people who just want the experience the game without struggling through whatever might be preventing that.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
I appreciate that they don't seem to turn off Achievements for using the sliders, either.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr_Gee posted:

I appreciate that they don't seem to turn off Achievements for using the sliders, either.

Yeah, that's how it should be done. I firmly believe that games should allow for a "story mode".

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

A few people complained about the sliders, I really don’t see how they can argue against it. It’s an optional slider in a single player game. Having a difficulty option doesn’t cheapen a game for you if you don’t use it, and how can you be such a dick by playing “gatekeeper” for MUH GAME by saying who should play it? Someone was saying on the forums that if you can’t complete puzzles in CrossCode it means you shouldn’t be playing it because they (despite not being one of the developers) decided the game was meant to be a challenge and was marketed as such.

I can’t loving stand elitist gamers. No one cares about your cheevos or how bad rear end you were because you completed a puzzle on the first try. :rolleyes: If this game becomes accessible to more people I’m all for it because it’s a fantastic game and I want to see RadicalFish make something as good or better for their next project.

Rynn fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 25, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm actually really annoyed by these new sliders posted:

I've tried really hard to keep my mouth shut about this. Every time I see another one of these threads calling for an "easy mode," I played nice. There's so many freaking tools at your disposal, and the game does quite a bit to encourage you to explore them, it has so many options for just trying something different, but no, we're going to come here and complain instead that "it's too hard." I usually give tips, I've talked ad nauseam about arts that will help or just straight-up broken abilities that will already trivialize the most difficult battles in this game. Now we have a slider that will reduce enemy damage all the way to zero......... REALLY????

That's putting some other things aside, like the fact that you now are gifted a good portion of health automatically every time you break off a bar of boss health. Actually, many combat-oriented quests do this now, too. That didn't happen before 1.0. There's other enemies that got nerfed and I won't catalogue that here, but the point I'm trying to make is that the game was already made easier at the time of full release. Of course, no matter what iteration of CrossCode you ever played, NONE of this matters strictly due to how inconsequential dying is. You lose almost no progress, no items, no money, no xp hit, no limit on do-overs. Safety net? What the ever living hell more could you possibly ask for???

You know, and I just want to put this out there even though it's too late, but before you just give up and revert to "it's too hard," would it be so much trouble to just say instead, "I'm stuck on X, does anyone have any tips?" I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. The community will come out in DROVES to help, as opposed to rattling nerves and earning countless eyerolls. I consider myself a mediocre gamer at best, I will freely admit I've been stuck and called for help myself, and you know what? Thanks to that, I was able to progress just fine. A few ideas is all it took to give me the springboard I needed in order to develop my own strategies, and more ideas on how to approach a given situation. Believe it or not, that leads to quite the sense of accomplishment. Doesn't happen when you can literally just walk all over a tough fight. "Well, I always get stuck at this part, so I'll just, yoink, 0%." Might as well just add in an option to skip things altogether while you're at it, because the difference is so utterly negligible. Wait, wasn't there a movie about this?

Yes, you're absolutely right, I could 'just' "pretend they don't exist and never touch them." But that's insanely naive. Simple truth of the matter is: I CAN'T. I know they are there, the information lives in my brain, and I'm not going to forget any time soon. You know why? Because I believe that a gamer's duty is to work within the systems they are given, with the tools laid out before them. And a big part of that is knowing the systems and tools exist in the first place. You don't have to be 'hardcore' gamer to seek out the exploits of the systems. You just have to be willing to try different things.

It's a single player game, why does it matter? Well, here's the reverse of that question: Why is it so bad for a developer to bring a competitive multiplayer mindset to a single player game? What's wrong with making a 'single-player only' game that runs the risk of being 'too challenging?' Yes, I understand that 'devs gotta make money!' but there is a line between preserving the developer's artistic vision, and doing what it takes to sell more copies. This is crossing that line. I have long lauded CrossCode for giving you so many options and so many abilities yet contained within a simple, intuitive system, and the slider just flies in the face of all that.

Look, whatever, I'll get over it and move on. But I needed to rant because of how much I've been bottling up my feelings. If it means I literally never see another thread titled "game needs an easy mode," I guess I'll take it. But that's not how this is going to shake out. If people can't be bothered to explore the game and all the different gameplay elements at their disposal, I'm not naive enough to believe they'll do something so simple as reading through all the options in the start menu.

the temptation was strong to just post the wall of text without quote blocks

edit

that same thread posted:

Dev's took a unique challenging experience and made it "accessible", destroying a lot of the value of the experience this game offered. O well. The only people affected are those who aren't suited for the game, and it's kinda sad for them, wasting their time on this game when they could play something more up their alley.

It's confusing too, if they wanted to make an accessible game they should have made, well, a different game, something casual from the outset. Instead they made something fun and challenging for a certain caliber of gamer then, out of misguided empathy, tacked on the option to turn the whole work into a walking simulator. It's silly!

It'd be nice if they could at least acknowledge people's viewpoints as valid instead of calling people insecure and locking threads, lol. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black...

The game's experience is destroyed, guys

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 25, 2018

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I skimmed parts of that and I had to stop at "gamer's duty" to laugh. "IT IS A GAMER'S DUTY TO PERSERVERE AGAINST THE ODDS, TO DEFEND OUR HONOR FROM THE FILTHY CASUALS!"

As someone who had huge issues with the timing based puzzles, I feel really grateful that the devs gave me an option to make them easier. The only major frustration with the game that I had was that some puzzles were too tight in their execution for my skill level, but now I can actually enjoy those puzzles as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rynn posted:

A few people complained about the sliders, I really don’t see how they can argue against it. It’s an optional slider in a single player game. Having a difficulty option doesn’t cheapen a game for you if you don’t use it, and how can you be such a dick by playing “gatekeeper” for MUH GAME by saying who should play it? Someone was saying on the forums that if you can’t complete puzzles in CrossCode it means you shouldn’t be playing it because they (despite not being one of the developers) decided the game was meant to be a challenge and was marketed as such.

I can’t loving stand elitist gamers. No one cares about your cheevos or how bad rear end you were because you completed a puzzle on the first try. :rolleyes: If this game becomes accessible to more people I’m all for it because it’s a fantastic game and I want to see RadicalFish make something as good or better for their next project.

People are dumb assholes, particularly those who call themselves gamers.