Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm a stubborn idiot who loves things to be hard so I loved the game as is.

So I just y'know. Leave the sliders alone and my experience is unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Rynn posted:

A few people complained about the sliders, I really don’t see how they can argue against it. It’s an optional slider in a single player game. Having a difficulty option doesn’t cheapen a game for you if you don’t use it, and how can you be such a dick by playing “gatekeeper” for MUH GAME by saying who should play it? Someone was saying on the forums that if you can’t complete puzzles in CrossCode it means you shouldn’t be playing it because they (despite not being one of the developers) decided the game was meant to be a challenge and was marketed as such.

I can’t loving stand elitist gamers. No one cares about your cheevos or how bad rear end you were because you completed a puzzle on the first try. :rolleyes: If this game becomes accessible to more people I’m all for it because it’s a fantastic game and I want to see RadicalFish make something as good or better for their next project.

There was a thread on the steam forums where one dude threw a poo poo fit about ~*catering to casuals*~ when they added the mining tool finder utility for the first dungeon. The optional one that you don't have to turn on, and I think you don't even have to pick up from the NPC?

"Catering to casuals," in a non-competitive, single player game. Yikes. edit: also in competitive multiplayer games. Both dumb.

in a world where everything is "the worst," capital g Gamers are truly the worst.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 26, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...they added that into the game, it wasn't always present?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

apparently? dunno. maybe some time long ago in the kickstarter/early access phases.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
They need to add fishing back into the game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Got through the second dungeon in a relatively quick go. Once I wrapped my idiot brain around those shot height changing pillar things and remembered that the puzzles are all about bouncing projectiles it went pretty smoothly. It's hard to jump back into such a specific mechanic after playing something else.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gobblecoque posted:

They need to add fishing back into the game.
https://mobile.twitter.com/yokotaro/status/879148440818561024

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DoubleNegative posted:

So today the 1.0.1 patch came out.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/368340/announcements/detail/1688180265711126610

I've said more than a few angry words at and about the game since I picked it up, so a granular scale to adjust the difficulty as desired is very much appreciated.

Oh thank god. Now I might actually replay the game someday.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

the quoted account is private. What does it say?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bummey posted:

the quoted account is private. What does it say?

I don't even have a Twitter, there's no way Yoko Taro is private! But it's his famous "JRPG needs fishing" tweet :shobon:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't even have a Twitter, there's no way Yoko Taro is private! But it's his famous "JRPG needs fishing" tweet :shobon:

The account Yoko was quoting is private. I still don't get it. v:shobon:v

Does anyone have any kind of conception of what a spheromancer... is? Like, I know the players have said that Quadroguard is the tank, Hexacast is the wizard, Pentafist is a fighty dps type (and other classes yet to be seen/named)... they all kinda seem the same? Not that I've seen more than Penta/Hex in action so far but, melee and ranged attacks, charged specials, none of which seem too different. The elemental trees things kinda muddy that up even more, where anyone can throw out elemental "spells" rather than just a wizard type.

I'm probably thinking too much about unimportant parts of the fake game-in-a-game.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Bummey posted:

Does anyone have any kind of conception of what a spheromancer... is? Like, I know the players have said that Quadroguard is the tank, Hexacast is the wizard, Pentafist is a fighty dps type (and other classes yet to be seen/named)... they all kinda seem the same? Not that I've seen more than Penta/Hex in action so far but, melee and ranged attacks, charged specials, none of which seem too different. The elemental trees things kinda muddy that up even more, where anyone can throw out elemental "spells" rather than just a wizard type.

I'm probably thinking too much about unimportant parts of the fake game-in-a-game.

The development blog has a nice thing on the concepts behind all of the classes (https://www.radicalfishgames.com/?p=3408) but the tl;dr of it is that when Crossworlds very first released there was only one class (the spheromancer) that could be built however you wanted, and the more specialized classes came later. The Spheromancer isn't BAD, per se, it's just legacy, and if you want to make a tank you're probably better off just picking the Quadroguard instead of speccing a spheromancer into one.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want to say it was added in when they gave sneak peaks of Rhombus Square. At the very least I don't remember having it when I first ran through the game a good 6 months or so before it released.

Bummey posted:

Does anyone have any kind of conception of what a spheromancer... is?

As Aerox posted above, Spheromancer is pretty much the jack-of-all-trades class. The way game mechanics work and due to the puzzle nature of the game everyone has the same basic tools that sort of makes the classes homogeneous but they all have their quirks, with the Spheromancer's being customization and balanced stats.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bummey posted:

oh, who cares, there's nothing to get other than "all jrpgs must have fishing" :shobon:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I had trouble with some of the puzzles because of the timing, I'm glad they brought in that 1.01 slider update.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't think it was there back in early, early access.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh, who cares, there's nothing to get other than "all jrpgs must have fishing" :shobon:

It probably was just someone asking why Nier Automata had fishing.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

quote:

Yes, you're absolutely right, I could 'just' "pretend they don't exist and never touch them." But that's insanely naive. Simple truth of the matter is: I CAN'T. I know they are there, the information lives in my brain, and I'm not going to forget any time soon. You know why? Because I believe that a gamer's duty is to work within the systems they are given, with the tools laid out before them. And a big part of that is knowing the systems and tools exist in the first place. You don't have to be 'hardcore' gamer to seek out the exploits of the systems. You just have to be willing to try different things.

I really want to know what this poster's sliders are set at.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

if the game has a difficulty selection I'm gonna play on the easiest setting, because i'm a hardcore gamer and i seek all the advantages i can get

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Yeah, this game is demanding, and I'm happy to see a difficulty slider added. Because as much as I enjoy action RPGs, I have never been particularly good at timing puzzles.

I managed to get through the first temple on standard difficulty, but here in the second, the timing tolerances on second floor puzzles have gotten insane. The enemies are tough, but still beatable.

So I've adjusted activation duration to their longest settings, but not touched the damage enemies deal.

I appreciate the addition because it means I'll get much further in the game before giving up. But I never start with the easiest setting in a game - what fun would that be?

I spent years beating Nintenhard NES games pretty badly. But now I have a life, and have other options, so a poor attention span for ludicrously hard games is the result. Crosscode has all those elements to entice me now (which is why I've put 40 hours into it in the last month

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 28, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I beat the game on stock difficulty and gods drat I wish I had the slider for that last loving puzzle, but a lot of that was me loving up by doing things out of sequence.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I turned Damage Received to 0 for the brewing quest. gently caress those exploding bubbles. Just add more barriers and turn it into a ice/shot bouncing puzzle or something.

after turning off damage i didn't get hit by any bubbles

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 28, 2018

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Phssthpok posted:

I really want to know what this poster's sliders are set at.

A Gamer's Duty.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

This red area is neat. I like where this is going.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Is the Lost Shrine in Gaia's Gardens something that comes up later, or is it some easter eggy thing I can do at any time? If so, is there some hint to get the code?

And man, Im getting my rear end kicked by both bosses of the Wave/Electric temple pretty loving bad and feel super undergeared at this point even though I'm mostly 38-44 yellow items. Well I gave up on the Blob guy and went to finish Electric temple, but the electric boss is loving dick and his move-set and healing is just awful especially trying to bounce the wave thing in there just right. I really did not like the Wave puzzles just because it felt extremely wonky. Just running around grabbing some Yellow chests now that I can open them and will try the blob and zappy boss again tomorrow.

Also, this is probably just a doodad here right? (some kind of green spinning box)

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Bummey posted:

I turned Damage Received to 0 for the brewing quest. gently caress those exploding bubbles. Just add more barriers and turn it into a ice/shot bouncing puzzle or something.

after turning off damage i didn't get hit by any bubbles

I’m with you on this one. This was actually a complaint to the devs because the bubbles coming at you wouldn’t stop once you finished (for the second or two before dialogue occurs). So people were completing the quest and immediately dying because they’d get hit by a goddamn bubble and it did a lot of damage.

Rynn fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 29, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
gently caress that stupid tower defense minigame. I hate that genre. it's no fun at all and the sliders don't even help, because I usually die because I accidentally attack an enemy with a shield on. That damage is based on your own attack, so my higher level is actually detrimental.
That (second) quest is the only one I have yet to complete, but it's boring and infuriating, because it just takes forever. Certainly the worst part of the game for me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Xaris posted:

Is the Lost Shrine in Gaia's Gardens something that comes up later, or is it some easter eggy thing I can do at any time? If so, is there some hint to get the code?

It's part of one of the quests in the region. You can get in really quickly if you recognize the familiar code - otherwise, check the major temples and their surroundings.

e: also I think you're hitting a portion of the game where I had to start watching my equipment a bit. I seem to remember that a lot of the rare equipment around that level gives a ton of Focus but very little Defence - if you're just looking at level and rarity it can be easy to unbalance your stats and give yourself a tough time of it.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 29, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Xaris posted:

And man, Im getting my rear end kicked by both bosses of the Wave/Electric temple pretty loving bad and feel super undergeared at this point even though I'm mostly 38-44 yellow items. Well I gave up on the Blob guy and went to finish Electric temple, but the electric boss is loving dick and his move-set and healing is just awful especially trying to bounce the wave thing in there just right. I really did not like the Wave puzzles just because it felt extremely wonky. Just running around grabbing some Yellow chests now that I can open them and will try the blob and zappy boss again tomorrow.

Also, this is probably just a doodad here right? (some kind of green spinning box)

It's part of the 'Promise is a Promise' series of quests, for the broken deck. Using the seeker skill will reveal a hint next to the dude that gives you a hint on the location of the shrine and what you need to open it. You found the shrine, the hint to open it is on the grand krys'kajo entrance map (top right, gotta hop on lily pads.) It is also an easter egg.

The Electric boss gave me a lot of trouble until I figured out bouncing my shots to send the lightning ball where it needed to go to knock it out of the middle. I didn't have as much trouble with the Wave boss, I only messed up one of it's puzzle phases.
They both hit really hard though. Had to eat a whole bunch of sandwiches to get through them. It's probably the point in the game where the game wants you to use it's buff foods really badly to make up stats but I've always been lazy about that so I just muddled through.

Also I have no idea what doodad you're seeing, the only green spinny thing is your shot (and I know there's nothing actually there.)

cant cook creole bream posted:

gently caress that stupid tower defense minigame. I hate that genre. it's no fun at all and the sliders don't even help, because I usually die because I accidentally attack an enemy with a shield on. That damage is based on your own attack, so my higher level is actually detrimental.
That (second) quest is the only one I have yet to complete, but it's boring and infuriating, because it just takes forever. Certainly the worst part of the game for me.

The second one's both easier because you'll have tons of towers and harder because there's a problem enemy you have to attack there (freakin' bulls.) Once you have your towers set up right the thing practically plays itself (neutral towers are the only one's that remove shields.)
There's certainly worse tower defense minigames out there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's certainly worse tower defense minigames out there.

On the other hand, there's not a single good one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cant cook creole bream posted:

On the other hand, there's not a single good one.

imo the one in this game is good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stelas posted:

e: also I think you're hitting a portion of the game where I had to start watching my equipment a bit. I seem to remember that a lot of the rare equipment around that level gives a ton of Focus but very little Defence - if you're just looking at level and rarity it can be easy to unbalance your stats and give yourself a tough time of it.

Yeah is it just me, or is Focus kinda worthless? I thought more Crit and Invuln Dash would be good, but it seems like it's so totally insignificant in stacking Focus. I've also been neglecting Defense hard, but really sounds like I should just straight up for for Attack/Defense mostly.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bummey posted:

This red area is neat. I like where this is going.

it's really going places.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Xaris posted:

Yeah is it just me, or is Focus kinda worthless? I thought more Crit and Invuln Dash would be good, but it seems like it's so totally insignificant in stacking Focus. I've also been neglecting Defense hard, but really sounds like I should just straight up for for Attack/Defense mostly.

Focus does have its uses - and generation will visibly increase as you start more of it and when you get your third bar - but you're right that you don't want to neglect the other two.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
oi vey....

Burnout in the grand tree. Puzzles ahoy.

Maybe it's time to take another 1-2 week break :saddowns:

All that energy I got from beating V. wastes has just been sapped.

I hope E. Lukas is ok

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
so is everything in the playground virtual or instant matter? for a while i was playing i sorta had the impression that some things were npcs/virtual/whatever and there were some actual humans there but now im thinking that was just a misread at the start of the game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Almost everything you interact with is instant matter, I think.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

People mention that most static-attached-to-the-ground stuff is real. Water ponds, hills, buildings in towns, probably also most of the contents of buildings since you can't meaningfully interact with them. I seem to recall that there's implication that there are Real Humans around doing maintenance poo poo (the boat / the northern part of town being under Actual rear end Construction rather than a bunch of Instant Matter), but generally not in active areas of the game.

e: except for plants, I guess?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Verviticus posted:

so is everything in the playground virtual or instant matter? for a while i was playing i sorta had the impression that some things were npcs/virtual/whatever and there were some actual humans there but now im thinking that was just a misread at the start of the game

When you get back to the boat for the second time there's a scene where the actual working humans talk a little about instant matter and how it's not exactly suited for much more than props. Namely, it's super lightweight (Lea's avatar weighs about 10lbs, an actual child picks you up and hucks you across the deck of the tanker. multiple times.) and relatively fragile.

What I don't get is, is all of it the game? Are the moon ruins constructed for the park or actual ancient ruins from a departed alien species? I know the bird people are just NPCs. This is at least 1000 years into the super future where the people colonized other star systems. Are we even on Luna or is this another planet's moon? How exactly do you play and how expensive is the game and required peripherals? In the beginning there was some talk about most people not being able to afford it. It's clearly some kind of full immersion VR-like set up. I can probably look at the wiki or dev diary posts for this.

The western jungle temple was definitely my favorite so far. The puzzles were fun and I didn't groan as I walked into each new room. I mean, I did, but I got the hang of braining out the puzzles much more quickly than the other dungeons. Was it easier or am I just getting the hang of thinking the way the game wants you to think? That one room where you needed to jump on top of a sliding block and use the height changing pillars to bounce your shots off walls/through the lightning orbs/at the magnets took me a bit. I didn't think to ride the block until... way too late.

gently caress those lightning cats and the blob boss in the western temple though. Trying to break its shield and dodge its attacks, while constantly running into elemental overload was irritating. I also couldn't get the ball lightning redirecting arrows to work too well on that fight. First one would bounce off and head to the opposite wall, where I had to step on the switch to bounce it back into the unshielded side of the boss, but 9 times out of 10 the second shot would hit the boss and just fizzle. Maybe its charged shot was knocking me off the switch at the last second? I don't know. I also spent like 3 hours with that dungeon paused and I think the race timer keeps ticking because I lost despite making pretty good time throughout. I spent way longer slacking in the other dungeons and won both of them.

edit: holy poo poo. bouncing wave projectiles to teleport those movable blocks and stack them on top of each other :psypop: I had to look up a walkthrough for that.
edit2: wow that east temple was super quick and easy, especially the boss. I liked the wave ball wall redirections and teleport puzzles. even if ^^

this game is so good

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 1, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Verviticus posted:

Everything that you can interact with beyond just simply touching is instant matter. Yes, this includes the plants and things you chop down to get drops out of (explains how quickly they grow back.)

There are actual people like the crew of the Solar but they're pretty much just like maintenance/construction crews at Disneyworld.

Bummey posted:

What I don't get is, is all of it the game? Are the moon ruins constructed for the park or actual ancient ruins from a departed alien species? I know the bird people are just NPCs. This is at least 1000 years into the super future where the people colonized other star systems. Are we even on Luna or is this another planet's moon? How exactly do you play and how expensive is the game and required peripherals? In the beginning there was some talk about most people not being able to afford it. It's clearly some kind of full immersion VR-like set up. I can probably look at the wiki or dev diary posts for this.

Shadoon is an actual moon that was terraformed for the game. Considering that the native inhabitants are fictional NPC's and how dungeon instances work I'm fairly certain that the ruins are also man-made and not repurposed.

Also the equipment required is probably a full immersion VR setup and access to the space internet considering the whole 'colonized other star systems' stuff you hear from other players and what some of them do/say some players do (the Exploration Fleet encyclopedia entry convo for example.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
a couple things: they touch on humans in the simulation a little bit after you beat one of the temples in gaia's

two:

EponymousMrYar posted:

Shadoon is an actual moon that was terraformed for the game. Considering that the native inhabitants are fictional NPC's and how dungeon instances work I'm fairly certain that the ruins are also man-made and not repurposed.

i thought the whole purpose of the track was to uncover some locked away secret on shadoon that was causing the ancients' ruins to murder people that were living on it