Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They could have killed Kenny. Then had him show up at school again the next day. And get shot again. And no one notices that it's Kenny getting shot again. Except for some sandy hook style truthers. Then have Alex Jones go on a tirade about fake shootings. It pretty much writes itself. Oh yeah, and it's more in line with classic south park than what we've been getting.

And they could have brought back "omg, they killed kenny, you bastards!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That's... honestly brilliant. They may not have gone the false flag route because their message was about how hosed up it is that school shootings are a normal thing.

But more accurately, they didn't do that because they were writing on auto-pilot.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I would have preferred a subplot about Butters joining the hall monitors. With PC principal taking things so far that Butters has an automatic gun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheFattestPat posted:

I would have preferred a subplot about Butters joining the hall monitors. With PC principal taking things so far that Butters has an automatic gun.

Yeah, that seemed like a missed opportunity. Armed Butters is a great plot for an episode by itself.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We already know that an armed Butters only shoots people in the dick.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd be fine if we never saw PC principal ever again. On his face, he's a claim that PC culture just wants to crush puss, and being woke is their way of doing it, which is just a take as old as PCU in my life, and the civil rights marches in my parents, but he's also right a lot of the time and the show treats him like he's not sometimes, but is others, and like all of South Park, it's just not taking a side.

Is Garrison a ridiculous fraud of a trans/nonbinary person, a condition akin, according to this show, to wanting to be a dolphin, or the person who explains to the school, accurately, why you should provide a non-gendered bathroom and not police who uses it and shouldn't call cis people "normal" because trans people are normal too. Well, they're both, depending on how we feel this week.

Oops. Now the trans character is Trump.

Nothing will date this show more than treating human and civil rights as those people whining too loud for we two rich white millionaires.

But then they'll do an episode that makes an incredibly progressive point and everybody gets to go, "well, they make fun of everybody" like that makes it okay that they equated being trans with wanting to be a black person.

This show confuses the gently caress out of me and I wish they'd just do something vile enough to make me walk away forever and not walk it back later making me think they've grown only to be disappointed again later.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I'd be fine if we never saw PC principal ever again. On his face, he's a claim that PC culture just wants to crush puss, and being woke is their way of doing it, which is just a take as old as PCU in my life, and the civil rights marches in my parents, but he's also right a lot of the time and the show treats him like he's not sometimes, but is others, and like all of South Park, it's just not taking a side.

Is Garrison a ridiculous fraud of a trans/nonbinary person, a condition akin, according to this show, to wanting to be a dolphin, or the person who explains to the school, accurately, why you should provide a non-gendered bathroom and not police who uses it and shouldn't call cis people "normal" because trans people are normal too. Well, they're both, depending on how we feel this week.

Oops. Now the trans character is Trump.

Nothing will date this show more than treating human and civil rights as those people whining too loud for we two rich white millionaires.

But then they'll do an episode that makes an incredibly progressive point and everybody gets to go, "well, they make fun of everybody" like that makes it okay that they equated being trans with wanting to be a black person.

This show confuses the gently caress out of me and I wish they'd just do something vile enough to make me walk away forever and not walk it back later making me think they've grown only to be disappointed again later.

The show's been on so long that, not only has it changed drastically over the decades (we've gone from random nonsense like "Scuzzlebutt" to "current-events-of-the-past-week") but the older stuff certainly can feel dated. It's best not to get frustrated at the entire history of the show; just enjoy the episodes you like, and don't let the rest bother you.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Speaking of Butters...

South Park Studios posted:

SUNDAY MASS BRINGS THE COMMUNITY TOGETHER
ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF SOUTH PARK PREMIERING ON
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 3 AT 10:00 P.M. ET/PT ON COMEDY CENTRAL

——–
All-New Season 22 Episodes will be Available to Stream in HD
Exclusively on SouthPark.cc.com and Hulu
——–

NEW YORK, October 1, 2018 – The local priest is filling the pews each week in an all-new episode titled “A Boy and a Priest” on Wednesday, October 3 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

A very special relationship has developed between Butters and the Parish Priest. When the town finds the church doors locked and no sign of the pair, they call in the Catholic Church.

All-new episodes from this season will be available to stream in HD exclusively on South Park Studios and Hulu the day after they premiere. Fans will continue to have next-day access to new episodes, as well as the entire “South Park” library, across all internet-connected devices with a Hulu subscription. New episodes and a selection of curated episodes will be available to stream on SouthPark.cc.com, cc.com and the Comedy Central App.

Comedy Central’s “South Park” launched on August 13, 1997. The series airs Wednesday nights at 10:00 p.m. and repeats later that night at Midnight (all times ET/PT).

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are the co-creators of “South Park.” Parker, Stone, Anne Garefino and Frank C. Agnone II are the Executive Producers of the Emmy® and Peabody® Award-winning “South Park.” Eric Stough, Adrien Beard, Bruce Howell and Vernon Chatman are Producers. Chris Brion is the Creative Director of South Park Digital Studios. “South Park’s” Web site is SouthPark.cc.com.

The uncensored episodes are also available for download on iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, XBOX Live, Google Play, Sony Entertainment Network, Vudu and Verizon Flexview.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LividLiquid posted:

Garrison is not a trans/nonbinary person. He is just a creep.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atomizer posted:

The show's been on so long that, not only has it changed drastically over the decades (we've gone from random nonsense like "Scuzzlebutt" to "current-events-of-the-past-week") but the older stuff certainly can feel dated. It's best not to get frustrated at the entire history of the show; just enjoy the episodes you like, and don't let the rest bother you.
This is a position that's extremely easy to take if the politics of South Park don't hit you in your personal life. People have been insisting to me that "human being" isn't an insult about gay people since The F-Word aired, citing South Park as a big reason why.

People have brought up "transracial" poo poo to discredit transgender poo poo, and South Park is why.

I hear South Park talking points so loving often when trying to explain marginalized groups positions on poo poo.

Even if it isn't converting people, and you will never convince me it isn't, it is absolutely giving bigots ammunition.

This poo poo isn't just entertainment. A frighteningly sizable chunk of America takes their political views from South Park, but they're electorally meaningless. But an even bigger chunk uses South Park to validate how they already feel, which from the beginning, has used straw-people like Kyle's mom to say, loudly, "isn't it annoying when people care about poo poo that doesn't affect affluent white people?" And that crowd is how Trump happened.

If they were really growing with society, as you're suggesting, Kyle's mom would be freaking out about trans bathrooms, because her character was always "I care deeply about poo poo that doesn't matter like swearing in movies," but that didn't happen.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Garrison is not a trans/nonbinary person. He is just a creep.
So... you missed those seasons where she was Mrs. Garrison?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I agree, it's pretty difficult to decide if the show is taking a position that sides with me or offends with me.

But then I realize it's an immature cartoon literally created by two guys that like to offend people and I realize they succeed often.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Sharon's experience of getting exhausted by trying to get people to care to the point where she gives up and tries to ignore it too is something common.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This reminds me of when my group of friends all saw Team America and we all loved it except one guy who hated it because he felt that the "pussies/dicks/assholes" speech was aimed perfectly at ignorant republican voters that would then use it as a justification for the war in Iraq.

I mean, he wasn't wrong, but I don't know that you should really blame South Park for being able to articulate the arguments of ignorant/uneducated people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It makes a lot more sense when dicks are actually leftists

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

If you have people in your life justifying their worldview based on South Park then you need to find new friends. It's a goddamn cartoon that doesn't particularly take itself seriously.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Let's be fair though, isn't satire supposed to make a point about society? And if the point it makes is wrong, isn't that a problem?

I mean, people are still to blame for not thinking as critically as they should. But for example, if someone believes everything they read on Breitbart and RealPatriotNews.co.ru, that person is definitely to blame, but the websites are to blame too. It's not one or the other.

Rather, the truth... is in the middle!!!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Small White Dragon posted:

Speaking of Butters...

NEW YORK, October 1, 2018 – The local priest is filling the pews each week in an all-new episode titled “A Boy and a Priest” on Wednesday, October 3 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

A very special relationship has developed between Butters and the Parish Priest. When the town finds the church doors locked and no sign of the pair, they call in the Catholic Church.

AWWWWWWWW JEEEEEEEEEEZ

LividLiquid posted:

p much

i imagine that if you brought this up to them they’d say “what, you can’t take a joke?” and that tells me this show isn’t really for me but in a broader sense i don’t know who it’s for other than themselves and the truckloads of money they and comedy central makes off of it

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Watched the episode over the weekend and I found myself more annoyed with it than amused by it, but maybe South Park just isn't for me anymore. Maybe I'm misremembering earlier seasons but I remember them making similarly damning statements on society, but remember the main characters trying to make the "good" point in some way? Like they would point out the ridiculousness of society while also trying to have the character fighting it be right. I could be completely misremembering previous seasons, but the general feeling I've had for the last few seasons and was so blatant in this episode was that everything and everyone is dumb as hell for caring about anything or trying. I think I'm just done with the show at this point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I liked the episode. It works a lot better when you realize Sharon is the mouthpiece, not the kids; the kids don't care because this is the new normal for them, and the episode shows that as being pretty not-good.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I liked the episode. It works a lot better when you realize Sharon is the mouthpiece, not the kids; the kids don't care because this is the new normal for them, and the episode shows that as being pretty not-good.

Does it though? She's treated as hysterical, PMSing or going through menopause by all of the adults as well, Randy is treated as a victim of abuse and she ultimately gives in. I mean there's certainly a message about how society doesn't care/this is the new normal and that even people who care eventually stop, but the episode doesn't really show much about this being a bad thing. Unless I missed something (I admittedly started only half paying attention towards the end as I wasn't enjoying the episode).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Ouhei posted:

Does it though? She's treated as hysterical, PMSing or going through menopause by all of the adults as well, Randy is treated as a victim of abuse and she ultimately gives in. I mean there's certainly a message about how society doesn't care/this is the new normal and that even people who care eventually stop, but the episode doesn't really show much about this being a bad thing. Unless I missed something (I admittedly started only half paying attention towards the end as I wasn't enjoying the episode).

The last scene is her getting the news that Stan was shot and not getting emotional about it, I'm not sure what more of a punchline they should have had.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, her period had finally started.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ouhei posted:

I mean, I felt like the ridiculousness of everyone else's reactions was, on its face, trying to show that. Sharon is the only person in the episode acting remotely reasonable, and while she does learn a lesson, it's "constantly freaking out and taking it out on those close to you is really unhealthy," not "school shootings are cool and fine."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I agree, it's pretty difficult to decide if the show is taking a position that sides with me or offends with me.

But then I realize it's an immature cartoon literally created by two guys that like to offend people and I realize they succeed often.

It's impossible not to get offended by something in any piece of media today.

People forgot that getting offended, however, is not a terminal offense on par with murder and that you can get over it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel it makes a lot more sense that it's not a happy ending, it's Sharon getting browbeaten and pressured into giving up caring.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LividLiquid posted:

So... you missed those seasons where she was Mrs. Garrison?

No. Because Garrison was never truly a trans person. Just an angry rear end in a top hat (and Bigot) who pretty much did a sex change on impulse. Garrison wanted to revert the change back in the first episode it happened.

Honestly Garrison just seemed to be a person flip flopping on what they wanted to be, not understanding that people can be Bisexual. Because Garrison started as a seemingly homophobic closet gay, then decided he was gay, had his sex change and acted homophobic again, until he decided he was a lesbian, before deciding to become a man again and becoming the full on creep that he is.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
drat you nerds are really ripping up south park considering they've been pretty loving consistent about delivering the same poo poo for their entire run.

Did the fans boil down into the people who bitch about southpark or did the fans just go quiet and let the people who bitch about it constantly continue at a consistent pitch?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Motherfucker posted:

drat you nerds are really ripping up south park considering they've been pretty loving consistent about delivering the same poo poo for their entire run.

Did the fans boil down into the people who bitch about southpark or did the fans just go quiet and let the people who bitch about it constantly continue at a consistent pitch?

There's always a handful of morons hanging out in the South Park thread making GBS threads on the show for 1 reason or another because they got offended South Park went after their particular minority group or for some other random reasons.

Pretty sure most of the people that like South Park just stay out of this thread as it becomes a very toxic place.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
did i miss a change in tviv? are show threads supposed to be rah rah hugboxes now?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
SA is basically a hugbox now.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SHVPS4DETH posted:

did i miss a change in tviv? are show threads supposed to be rah rah hugboxes now?

No, it's the exact opposite. The people that dislike a show post far more in TVIV threads than the people that do like the show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

Rather, the truth... is in the middle!!!

Is it sad that South Park has been on so long that the truth is in the middle stuff that rang hollow before is actually kind of true now? poo poo on all sides of the spectrum is extreme as gently caress lately.

Waltzing Along posted:

SA is basically a hugbox now.

Thanks to some of the GBS mods it's basically Tumblr 2: The Twittering.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's always a handful of morons hanging out in the South Park thread making GBS threads on the show for 1 reason or another because they got offended South Park went after their particular minority group or for some other random reasons.

Pretty sure most of the people that like South Park just stay out of this thread as it becomes a very toxic place.

A ton of pussies have always been "Oh South Park is great, it makes fun of everyone!" then go "It made fun of me so gently caress this show!!!" No backbone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No, it's the exact opposite. The people that dislike a show post far more in TVIV threads than the people that do like the show.

I love South Park which is why I am so critical of it now. It was so good for so long. In my opinion, the best show on TV for like 15 years or more. And now...it's just not good. It's better than a lot of poo poo on TV, but it's in a rut and that is undeniable. When was the last classic episode?

I'm going to say it was Cock Magic. Midway through season 18. Has there been a better episode since?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This thread is harmless, should have looked at the Cyberpunk 2077 thread after CDPR posted that meme tweet.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Blazing Ownager posted:

Is it sad that South Park has been on so long that the truth is in the middle stuff that rang hollow before is actually kind of true now? poo poo on all sides of the spectrum is extreme as gently caress lately.

If you think "the true is in the middle" rings true then you're a moron who huffs your own farts.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Waltzing Along posted:

I love South Park which is why I am so critical of it now. It was so good for so long. In my opinion, the best show on TV for like 15 years or more. And now...it's just not good. It's better than a lot of poo poo on TV, but it's in a rut and that is undeniable. When was the last classic episode?

I'm going to say it was Cock Magic. Midway through season 18. Has there been a better episode since?

Sure you're not just maturing?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

AWWWWWWWW JEEEEEEEEEEZ

p much

i imagine that if you brought this up to them they’d say “what, you can’t take a joke?” and that tells me this show isn’t really for me but in a broader sense i don’t know who it’s for other than themselves and the truckloads of money they and comedy central makes off of it

PC principal exists as a character because they are in fact coming to terms with some of that. They aren't idiots, they know some of the things they say about society can be or are harmful. But the episodes about Stan turning into a drunk miserable cynical rear end in a top hat who thinks everything sucks now are also about them. The misery of SoDoSoPa erasing the past version of the town is also about them. They realize what is happening is often change for the better, but they still wish they could go back to the way things were. They want to just play around and imagine insane gross funny poo poo to laugh together about and not worry about the consequences like when they were kids. Recreating that dynamic on screen is why the show became a hit, people saw themselves in those cartoon kids. South Park will suck rear end if it cares too much about being PC, it just will. It's not that hilarious comedy can't be made without offensiveness, but whatever genius in these particular guys made a show like South Park...that can't work when it's caring too much about consequences and about what other people will do or think. The show is often an expression of unfiltered id and episodes are slapped together in a week. Overthinking it will obviously expose some things.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 3, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The show is best when Randy is being Randy or Cartman is doing Cartman things. It is worst when they sit around the table and watch CNN for ideas.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Its kind of why I don't get all the hate and dislike for last weeks episode of South Park, it had a lot of the classic old school South Park in it.

You have the kids just being kids with a Cartman / Token race plot (which is just another version of the true classic Cartman / Kyle is a jew plots)

You have Randy trying to warn everyone that Sharon is on her period and overreacting.

Of course the A plot was slightly toned back with the school shootings in the background of everything and maybe some people get upset that Sharon was the "real life commentary" in the episode. And I could see someone saying that those 2 things may have dragged the episode down a bit.

But, if you look at the past many seasons, the season opener is often a weaker episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

FuriousxGeorge posted:

PC principal exists as a character because they are in fact coming to terms with some of that. They aren't idiots, they know some of the things they say about society can be or are harmful. But the episodes about Stan turning into a drunk miserable cynical rear end in a top hat who thinks everything sucks now are also about them. The misery of SoDoSoPa erasing the past version of the town is also about them. They realize what is happening is often change for the better, but they still wish they could go back to the way things were. They want to just play around and imagine insane gross funny poo poo to laugh together about and not worry about the consequences like when they were kids. Recreating that dynamic on screen is why the show became a hit, people saw themselves in those cartoon kids. South Park will suck rear end if it cares too much about being PC, it just will. It's not that hilarious comedy can't be made without offensiveness, but whatever genius in these particular guys made a show like South Park...that can't work when it's caring too much about consequences and about what other people will do or think. The show is often an expression of unfiltered id and episodes are slapped together in a week. Overthinking it will obviously expose some things.

this gave me some things to consider, thanks

i also agree with the sentiment that redoing the post-election ep probably broke some things (and the events themselves). also the thinkpieces abt how trump was a direct result of ppl relating to cartman couldn't have helped any.