Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

A ton of pussies have always been "Oh South Park is great, it makes fun of everyone!" then go "It made fun of me so gently caress this show!!!" No backbone.

This was what kind of what happened with Isaac Hayes when they did the Scientology episode, but he also may have had others (the "thetans" or whatever the gently caress Tom Cruise and the rest of those cretins call themselves) making the decision for him. I'm not sure 100% what happened there but Hayes was fine with them making fun of everybody else aside from Scientologists up until that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm going to say it was Cock Magic. Midway through season 18. Has there been a better episode since?

When was PC Principal vs. the school newspaper because that was a classic episode in my book. And PC Principal telling Jimmy what is offensive to disabled people is in my list for top South Park moments of all time.
I would have loved a scene like that in this episode where PC Principal tried to explain to Token why Black Panther was culturally important for Black people.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The social commentary aspect of the show has always been poo poo. It didn't matter much before since the humor was still on point, but lately even that has been lacking (I did enjoy Mr. Mackey telling SWAT "aww no, you shot the wrong one", and I wish we had more of that classic South Park). Funnily enough, the show seems like it is now the one being created by manatees pushing idea balls. The Black Panther part was a perfect example of this, where it would have been great back in March/April, when I am sure they jotted it down.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
A big part of it is just SA is an older demographic. So you have people who have been watching it off and on for a long time and tastes change as you get older.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Waltzing Along posted:

The show is best when Randy is being Randy or Cartman is doing Cartman things. It is worst when they sit around the table and watch CNN for ideas.

Randy Marsh Adventures are a coin flip for me. The Losing Edge and Cock Magic are fun, but he was sort of grating last week.

Atomizer posted:

This was what kind of what happened with Isaac Hayes when they did the Scientology episode, but he also may have had others (the "thetans" or whatever the gently caress Tom Cruise and the rest of those cretins call themselves) making the decision for him. I'm not sure 100% what happened there but Hayes was fine with them making fun of everybody else aside from Scientologists up until that point.

Didn't his kids later come out and say something to the effect that his outrage at parodying Scientology was basically the leaders of the...religion? group? cult? what's the word here?...posing as him because they couldn't take the joke?

e-

quote:

Hayes III Isaac Hayes did not quit South Park; someone quit South Park for him. What happened was that in January 2006 my dad had a stroke and lost the ability to speak. He really didn't have that much comprehension, and he had to relearn to play the piano and a lot of different things. He was in no position to resign under his own knowledge. At the time, everybody around my father was involved in Scientology — his assistants, the core group of people. So someone quit South Park on Isaac Hayes' behalf. We don't know who.

Stone We sort of figured out the whole picture a bit later, but that's totally what happened.

Hayes III My father was not that big of a hypocrite to be part of a show that would constantly poke fun at African-American people, Jewish people, gay people — and only quit when it comes to Scientology. He wouldn't be that hypocritical.

Stone It really sucked, the whole thing. This statement put out that he was quitting, it kind of called us bigots.

Parker But we knew in our hearts there was something way more rotten going on.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/south-park-20-years-history-trey-parker-matt-stone-928212

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 3, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

A big part of it is just SA is an older demographic. So you have people who have been watching it off and on for a long time and tastes change as you get older.

I wonder if many late teens/early 20s people even watch South Park.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm pickle riiiick

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wonder if many late teens/early 20s people even watch South Park.

they absolutely do

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It think it's definitely more that society's tastes have changed and we're back in a similar PC culture as we were in the late 80s/early 90s except now the shoe is more on the other foot.

If South Park released the 'Death Camp of Tolerance'(released in 2002) episode today; liberals would probably boycott South Park and right wingers would start using it to(incorrectly) demonstrate how 'diversity' is actual facism.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 3, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The south park games are pretty funny so it's not like they're incapable of being funny. But man they should not have turned Garrison into Trump. Should have just had Trump on from the beginning, and do the thing where they "voice" him with actual clips of him talking

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

The south park games are pretty funny so it's not like they're incapable of being funny. But man they should not have turned Garrison into Trump. Should have just had Trump on from the beginning, and do the thing where they "voice" him with actual clips of him talking

I think it's pretty reasonable that they initially made Garrison Trump, because they thought he was going to lose and then be forgotten. But then when he actually won, they totally hosed up an opportunity to turn him into one of their "photograph-faced" characters.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

If you think "the true is in the middle" rings true then you're a moron who huffs your own farts.

When South Park came around, yeah, I'd agree with you. Today not so much.

Anyone who was right or left leaning in 2008 and hasn't changed is now pretty much a centrist while both ends of the spectrum have lost their loving minds. The left have become ultra sensitive mob rule speech & morality police and the right have doubled down on being dickheads willing to gently caress themselves over for their parties corporate interests. South Park seems aware of both these things at the moment.

I mean just look at the border debate. You have one side being colossal dick holes with interment camps and screaming about keeping everyone out which is bad, then the other side screaming to abolish all of the borders or border security and let anyone come and go as they want, which is also bad and as ludicrous in it's own way as building a wall that won't work anyway. Those sides are so completely extremely opposed you depressingly have to admit the truth is, in fact, in the middle only because the options are both off the deep end.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 3, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaybackJack posted:

It think it's definitely more that society's tastes have changed and we're back in a similar PC culture as we were in the late 80s/early 90s except now the shoe is more on the other foot.

Yep. I loving hate moral authoritarians, whichever side it's coming from.

To be honest I might hate the current wave of PC people worse. At least in the 80s and 90s it came from old dried up religious zealots and politicians feeding on them. Now it's coming from smug college kids that think they're the ultimate arbiters of right and wrong, while also feeling they should be protected from hurt feelings at all costs. gently caress 'em.

PaybackJack posted:

If South Park released the 'Death Camp of Tolerance'(released in 2002) episode today; liberals would probably boycott South Park and right wingers would start using it to(incorrectly) demonstrate how 'diversity' is actual facism.

On a related topic I do kind of wish they would revisit that and deal with this new push for 'progressive' segregation. So many pushes for 'this race only' or 'this gender only' lately from the side that supposedly cares about people, I feel like the true equality we were making strides for is being shot repeatedly in the foot by the very people who should be pushing it the most. I truly believe everyone should be equal so it's just bizarro land to see this whole 'Let's divide people into categories for their own good' poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"A bird has a left wing and a right wing, but they're just for flapping. The bird brain is in the middle." - C. Elliot Friday, circa his 1988 presidential campaign speech

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
These pc people on the left that you're talking about are just strawmen though. Yeah you could find people that expose those views but you might as well be fear mongering about antifa super soldiers.

I'm sorry for going on about this but it's sort of annoying hearing people talk about the government separating families and compare it to changing border laws like it's the same thing. There is no middle in certain issues, especially if you have basic loving empathy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah sometimes one side is in fact morally correct. Like the truth is not in the middle when it comes to the Third Reich

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How many times has South Park done the Catholic priest rape thing now?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Wow, the adults of South Park really are a bunch of assholes. What should be a bunch of red flags if they gave a poo poo is just comedy fodder for them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I, too, used to be bullied a lot in school and eventually did okay popularity-wise.

Also my dad loves going to church and I’ve always hated it, so I feel for Stan too. Bonus points because I’m Catholic.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How many times has South Park done the Catholic priest rape thing now?

At least 2. There was the episode in which Father Maxi had to run through Pitfall to find the old doctrine in which all the other catholic priests insisted that they needed to have sex with boys. Then there was another episode in which the priests just had naked boys on leashes.

This season seems to already just leaning into lampooning stuff that we were outraged about when South Park started and now is part of the new normal.

Just recently in Pittsburgh there was yet another priest accused of molesting 100+ kids. Vatican still stays quiet and it's back page news, not front page news like it used to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything, it's the centrists who are the ones tripling down on political correctness because they can't move an inch to the left for fear of pissing off their wealthy donors and try to use it as a substitute for actually helping people, along with impotent outrage about Trump in between enabling all his terrible policy. Matt and Trey seem to have the same problem as a lot of the American right/centre-right in that they lump anything left of Reagan into the same monolith and aren't able to process what's actually going on now, otherwise they'd have a shitload to work with between the alt-right, Bernie Sanders and AOC.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I can't quite tell where they're going with this one. We'll know in a few minutes.

Poor Clyde is just completely along for the ride.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Clearly Father Maxi destroying the Queen Spider wasn't enough. He needed to go to Planet Gelgamech and keep those drat aliens off of earth.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
what the gently caress, those lovely priests have the boys tied up in underwear.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
oh thank gently caress, kill those pedo kidnapping pieces of poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything, it's the centrists who are the ones tripling down on political correctness because they can't move an inch to the left for fear of pissing off their wealthy donors and try to use it as a substitute for actually helping people, along with impotent outrage about Trump in between enabling all his terrible policy. Matt and Trey seem to have the same problem as a lot of the American right/centre-right in that they lump anything left of Reagan into the same monolith and aren't able to process what's actually going on now, otherwise they'd have a shitload to work with between the alt-right, Bernie Sanders and AOC.

I think maybe Matt and Trey don’t want to give Trump too much attention for his poo poo.

I can’t exactly say I blame them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like how Father Maxi is one of the more honorable characters on the show.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't like this one

they've done the catholic priest scandal better before

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Didn't his kids later come out and say something to the effect that his outrage at parodying Scientology was basically the leaders of the...religion? group? cult? what's the word here?...posing as him because they couldn't take the joke?

Yeah, you found it, but that's what I was referring to with regards to the "others." At some point he became incapacitated and was being manipulated.

PaybackJack posted:

I still enjoy South Park, but I feel that it's less relevant now because of the schedule. It used to be they'd do 14+ episodes split across the whole year, but they've been doing only 10 for several years now and that's just over a few months at the end of the year. They lose out on material from the rest of the year that's too dated to drag back up. It ends up being that SP's relevant for a few months and then we (or I, at least) forget about it the rest of the year.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I mean just look at the border debate. You have one side being colossal dick holes with interment camps and screaming about keeping everyone out which is bad, then the other side screaming to abolish all of the borders or border security and let anyone come and go as they want, which is also bad and as ludicrous in it's own way as building a wall that won't work anyway. Those sides are so completely extremely opposed you depressingly have to admit the truth is, in fact, in the middle only because the options are both off the deep end.

Uh, no, this is not what Trumpler opponents want, this is what he says they want. Nobody wants to "abolish all borders" and get rid of border security; at best there have been calls to abolish ICE because that agency has been abusing its power, however ICE is not the Border Patrol which has existed long before ICE was created after 9/11.

You should maybe not get your talking points from Trumpski because he's a loving pathological liar, ok?

precision posted:

Yeah sometimes one side is in fact morally correct. Like the truth is not in the middle when it comes to the Third Reich

"Good people on many sides, many sides."

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cumboni made me laugh.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My hot take is that while it’s true and fine to point out there’s a lot of bad, dumb and/or crazy on the left, the counterpoint is that there’s still nothing good or redeeming to be found on the right.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This was sort of like last week's, where it wasn't really "ha ha" funny but it kind of worked on another level. I can't say it's better than what they used to do, but it's something.

They're focusing on the adults more this season, which makes sense because that's the season of life Trey & Matt are in right now. And with that seems to come a less fun, more dark tone. The adults of South Park being completely incapable of/unwilling to deal with real problems definitely rings true. I guess the show's always had that angle to it, but it's a little different now. Rather than freaking out over perceived dangers, they just kind of don't care anymore, at least not until they're inconvenienced -- i.e. temporarily not being able to go to a church they actually don't even care about, beyond seeing what one-liners they can spout that will get the most laughs. (Kind of like Twitter.)

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Stare-Out posted:

Cumboni made me laugh.

I definitely think they came up with that and worked backwards into the rest of the episodes.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Codependent Poster posted:

I like how Father Maxi is one of the more honorable characters on the show.

This is the best callback.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Butters sound weird to anyone else?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Butters sound weird to anyone else?

He sounded too much like Kyle for a lot of that episode, like Matt forgot which voice he was supposed to be doing.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Butter is more confident now and his voice reflects that

much more subtle acting than I'd normally expect from South Park

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the message was skewed a little bit by Father Maxi actually putting his arm around Butters and stuff.

I kinda hope they keep going with this theme of stuff that used to outrage us from the early days of the show is now the norm.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

First episode was just kinda flat. Maybe the 2nd will have more oomph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

snack eater posted:

I didn't like this one

they've done the catholic priest scandal better before

Red Hot Catholic Love is an all time classic.