Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Let me tell you a thing or two about GhostCoin

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Where are you keeping all this? Iím hoping to make 2 or 3 gallons and Iím having a tough time convincing my parents to let me keep that much in our fridge for 2 months, much less a full year.

the beer fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Time to git er done this weekend. I'm an Alton Brown loyalist but with the addition of coconut rum. Last year we were down to a half gallon when the fridge door knocked the precious nog from my tipsy hand and coated the floor. It was like a close family member had died.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of !

Store mine in half gallon mason jars and they fit in the the champagne/magnum area at the bottom of a couple wine fridges I have. Also store some at my brothers because his fridge has the space for it. Can be a struggle to fit big or multiple batches in a fridge. Only have a counter depth big fridge and the year I stored it all in there it took up a ton of space. Maybe look for wider/shallower containers than jars/bottles were you could stack stuff on top of it.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Since we're talking about storage, be aware that if you use the flip top bottles or containers from Ikea like I do (the Korken line), the glass is a little thin. I use one for keeping filtered water in the fridge, and the back of my fridge froze the bottle and subsequently shattered it. I think even low alcohol content egg nog should be freeze resistant, but I nevertheless shifted some stuff around to keep all of my nog away from the coldest part of the fridge (as well as bringing up the temperature setting a hair).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I have released the Kraken!
(No pics, because you all know what a gallon jar of eggnog looks like.)
I used the Joy of Cooking recipe, but I only used 750ml of rum (just a hair over 3 cups) because I'm a cheap bastard and didn't want to buy a 1500ml bottle. I also broke a yolk into my whites whilst separating the eggs.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally got around to making the eggnog, only did two batches this year instead of four so we wont be sharing them like we usually do

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Fun Shoe

Going to try making some homemade nog this year. The Alton Brown recipe sounds good but that is a poo poo ton of sugar. The bitten world one looks like too much booze for my family at Christmas. I'm thinking of trying this one:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...tand-mixer.html

I've got some aged rum, so I think I'll try that plus I'll pick up some nice Brandy to do a mixture.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If youre going for fresh eggnog you should also look into some of the ones that end up being a really thin custard.

Catfish Noodlin
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

How did the toasted cream go for the people who chose to use it? I just finished my 24 hour sous vide off of the Serious Eats recipe, and I'm considering my options in terms of how much to put in.

LikeFunOnlyBoring
Sep 3, 2008

Hey! So, while I've made the boozy 12 month aged egg nog in the past and it turned out amazing, thanks to this thread, I was wondering if anyone had a good non-alcoholic recipe that turns out a nice thick custardy egg nog. The people I make it for don't really love the boozy stuff so I wanted to try to make something that's more like the store bought, but better.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

I drank my batch before the holidays, it was too good.

I want to make some more with toasted sugar and toasted cream.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Let me tell you a thing or two about GhostCoin

Catfish Noodlin posted:

How did the toasted cream go for the people who chose to use it? I just finished my 24 hour sous vide off of the Serious Eats recipe, and I'm considering my options in terms of how much to put in.

I did 2:1 toasted:untoasted and it's delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

LikeFunOnlyBoring posted:

Hey! So, while I've made the boozy 12 month aged egg nog in the past and it turned out amazing, thanks to this thread, I was wondering if anyone had a good non-alcoholic recipe that turns out a nice thick custardy egg nog. The people I make it for don't really love the boozy stuff so I wanted to try to make something that's more like the store bought, but better.

I dont have a recipe because I made it almost a decade ago but any eggnog recipe that has you simmering and straining the eggnog is probably a good one

«2 »