Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

kirtar posted:

If we assume 40% ABV liquor and that a whole egg contributes about 46 mL liquid volume, I'm getting about 5.20% ABV on Jamie Oliver's recipe and 3.58% ABV on Alton Brown's. The Serious Eats one is about 9.4% depending on whether you do the small shaken batch or the bulk one. Even if we completely ignore any volume contribution from the eggs it only tacks on about 1-2%.

For reference, the thing would have to be roughly half rum/brandy/whatever to even have a chance of hitting 20% ABV. I suspect the actual target is about 20% liquor by total volume, and the original (vaguely written) on the Rockefeller Institute site seems to support this (or not see below). Based on that, we get 13.01% liquor by volume for Jamie Oliver's, 9.03 for Alton Brown's, and about 23.4% for Serious Eats.

E: I was accidentally using the good eats one that was linked off the other question rather than the one in the OP. The one linked in the OP is about 10.59% ABV or 26.47% liquor by volume. For reference, the recipe the dude at Rockefeller used was around 14.69% ABV or 36.74% liquor by volume.

It doesn't directly specify it, but it is implied because any whisky must be bottled at least 80 proof according to the code of federal regulations.

The bitten word recipe comes out to ~40% ABV.
7 cups non-alcohol + (12 yolks at 1tbsp each) = 1800ml
5 cups alcohol = 1182 ml

1800+1182 = 2982
1182/2982 * 100 = 39%

Also, aren't ABV and Liquor by volume are the same thing? How do you get two different numbers for them?

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

goodness posted:

The bitten word recipe comes out to ~40% ABV.
7 cups non-alcohol + (12 yolks at 1tbsp each) = 1800ml
5 cups alcohol = 1182 ml

1800+1182 = 2982
1182/2982 * 100 = 39%

Also, aren't ABV and Liquor by volume are the same thing? How do you get two different numbers for them?

Liquor by volume is just proportion of the total volume that is liquor (i.e. the volume of rum that you can actually measure). It should just equal the ABV/0.4 since I assumed 80 proof. The bitten word one would be 15.86% ABV under your egg estimate unless you're adding laboratory ethanol for some reason.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

kirtar posted:

Liquor by volume is just proportion of the total volume that is liquor (i.e. the volume of rum that you can actually measure). It should just equal the ABV/0.4 since I assumed 80 proof. The bitten word one would be 15.86% ABV under your egg estimate unless you're adding laboratory ethanol for some reason.

I did forget to account that the alcohol I was adding isn't pure. So 15.86% is right. Seems much lower than the effects of a couple shots of it would indicate. Looks like I'm doubling the booze for the next one.

So, aside from the rockefeller being only 1 study and a very small one, it seems at least ~15% is needed to kill salmonella on the 12/20000 chance your 12 eggs had it.

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 4, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kirtar posted:

If we assume 40% ABV liquor and that a whole egg contributes about 46 mL liquid volume, I'm getting about 5.20% ABV on Jamie Oliver's recipe and 3.58% ABV on Alton Brown's. The Serious Eats one is about 9.4% depending on whether you do the small shaken batch or the bulk one. Even if we completely ignore any volume contribution from the eggs it only tacks on about 1-2%.

For reference, the thing would have to be roughly half rum/brandy/whatever to even have a chance of hitting 20% ABV. I suspect the actual target is about 20% liquor by total volume, and the original (vaguely written) on the Rockefeller Institute site seems to support this (or not see below). Based on that, we get 13.01% liquor by volume for Jamie Oliver's, 9.03 for Alton Brown's, and about 23.4% for Serious Eats.

E: I was accidentally using the good eats one that was linked off the other question rather than the one in the OP. The one linked in the OP is about 10.59% ABV or 26.47% liquor by volume. For reference, the recipe the dude at Rockefeller used was around 14.69% ABV or 36.74% liquor by volume.

So if I scale up Jamie’s recipe to make 3 gallons and reduce the amount of alcohol per recipe to 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup, and I use equal parts rum, bourbon, and cognac for the alcohol, would that be safe?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I have no idea how youre getting 3.58% abv for alton brown's because thats insanely low. You could get that with less than a cup of 80 proof alcohol. It should be clocking in around 10-11% after accounting for sugar dissolving.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Control Volume posted:

I have no idea how youre getting 3.58% abv for alton brown's because thats insanely low. You could get that with less than a cup of 80 proof alcohol. It should be clocking in around 10-11% after accounting for sugar dissolving.

The 3.58% was the good eats one which is significantly weaker than the one that was linked in the OP. I accidentally used that since the original question linked a thing that compared Jamie Oliver's to the Good Eats version rather than the stronger one. For reference the one in good eats one was 3 oz of bourbon in 48 oz of combined milk+cream so it should look inherently weak even if we don't account for other volume contributions. I did get 10.58% for the newer Alton Brown recipe.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 4, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ah okay, I think my brain turned off while reading the edit and I didnt catch that. 3.58% is a sad eggnog though and I think Id rather drink the bourbon straight before having some non-alcoholic stuff

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Really glad I stumbled on this thread. I brought a thermos of my first bitten word batch (only 3 wks) to our office holiday party and it was such a hit I ended up giving away the rest to nog converts in little milk bottles. Regretting my possession by the Christmas spirit, I started another batch, but this one becomes fair game on New Years' and probably won't last long past that.

Batch 1:
5c half & half (because it's what we have)
3c Bulleit bourbon
1.5c Courvosier VS
1c Pyrat rum

Batch 2 is mostly Hennessy with Bulleit, doubt I'll be able to taste/remember the difference.

How marked is the difference you get with aging? I can't resist the call of nog in the winter, but think if I bottle some at summer solstice I could probably leave it alone long enough to forget it exists.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I added an extra cup of kraken to the Alton Brown nog and as of thanksgiving I was a little worried about the bite but tonight is the night that it has graduated to the next level, and my god. the bite of the ethanol is gone and all that's left is caramel and vanilla and a bit of cognac in the back of the nose and I'm going to finish this bottle tonight

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have another question about the Jamie Oliver nog. The recipe doesn’t say anything about aging it. Is there any reason why it WOULDN’T get better with age like every other egg nog on earth?

I’m also still not entirely clear on how much I can reduce the booze content by while still keeping the %ABV at a safe level, but I get the sense that none of you are gonna be able to tell me that until I know exactly which types and brands of alcohol I’ll be using (the recipe only calls for one kind of booze but I’m gonna use 3). So I’ll try to get all of that tomorrow and come back here when I’ve got some names and labels.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I finished work today. I had 2.5 litres of nog yesterday, now I have closer to 2 litres. Nogtacular. Alton brown nog recipe delivers again.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I changed my mind, I’m doing the Alton Brown recipe... with Jamie Oliver ingredients thrown in.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

I did the Jamie Oliver one, and wow is it heavily spiced. I cut a teaspoon of cinnamon out, and still felt like I was drinking a gingerbread house.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Did the alton brown recipe too last night. Like the simple varieties, don't care for the spice heavy stuff, a little nutmeg is all that's needed imo, and lots of brandy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I made a little over 3 gallons of nog. I combined the Alton Brown ingredients with the Jamie Oliver method... and other ingrdients.

poo poo’s good as gently caress. I can’t wait to taste it again after a few months. And again next Christmas.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I have let you all down again. Tis the season for noggin.

Is it important to leave a gap of air in the top of the newly filled bottles?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Please say yes, it's the only thing keeping me from digging into mine before the nights are long.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I really think we need to talk about what a horrific racist Alton Brown is. Why are people still using his recipes in TYOOL 2020?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

First I heard of it, but I live in a cave. What little of Alton Brown I've seen on video, he has struck me as unfunny and oddly creepy, and an article I just read from a from a food blogger in Iowa checks out with what you're saying, so I'm happy to assume there are well-documented atrocities in his past that I've not yet unearthed with a 5 minute google search.

This is obviously a clear endorsement of the Bitten Word recipe.

goodness posted:

Is it important to leave a gap of air in the top of the newly filled bottles?

I just realized I reversed your question in my head earlier and can actually answer- no gap is necessary, it doesn't expand. In fact if you use a stand mixer to blend it nice and creamy, you'll introduce enough air that it actually shrinks over the first day.

I know this keenly because I had the opposite question- would air in the bottle, and thus eventually dried-out nog-coated interior walls, pose a spoilage threat over time? For fear of this (probably baseless) I calculated my last variation on bitten word to fill two 1.75L bottles as perfectly as possible. Instead because of the air introduced with the mixer I ended up with 2x1.75L plus several 375ml bottles I needed to fill. Most were able to be reintroduced to the main bottles after a day, and I had a tester left over for early drinkin'.

This was the concoction I bottled on 7/10, filled two 1.75L bottles neatly plus maybe a quart:
16 egg yolks
2.6c sugar
6.5c half & half
3.75c Bulleit Bourbon
2c Hennessy V.S. Yak
1.5c Pyrat XO Rum

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Incelshok Na posted:

I really think we need to talk about what a horrific racist Alton Brown is.

Citing sources would probably be a good start.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Incelshok Na posted:

I really think we need to talk about what a horrific racist Alton Brown is. Why are people still using his recipes in TYOOL 2020?

Hey maybe instead of assuming that this is widely known and we're all okay with it, give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume we were unaware and give us details. Here's the Iowa food blog from 2011: https://cleanplatter.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/the-taste-of-disillusionment/

quote:

Alton Brown is a jerk...
“So, okay – this book’s from the South, where I’m from, and it’s got a few things in it that might be kind of foreign and exotic to you Iowans.” He turned the page. “Look! A real live Negro!”

Silence.

He muttered, “Okay. Remind me not to make African-American jokes in Iowa.”*

“Man,” said Alton to the girl, “If that guy next to you is your other daddy, I’m in the wrong state.”

And there's some details about how he talked about - and encouraged - being an rear end in a top hat to restaurant staff. This is pretty damning, but it's from 2011 and the fact that it's not widely known in 2020 means that you need to cut people slack and get off your high horse about it. I'd encourage you to post additional sources and the thread can decide if that invalidates his eggnog recipe (I think it's fair to stop promoting a recipe from someone who is a bad person, but I also think it's fine to keep using it because the recipe itself is not racist).

FWIW Alton went through alcohol problems a while back, and is no longer married to the woman he was married to when that was written. Perhaps his views have changed, or perhaps it's too little too late. But until today I was unaware and that's why I "keep using is recipes in TYOOL 2020."

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

I just realized I reversed your question in my head earlier and can actually answer- no gap is necessary, it doesn't expand. In fact if you use a stand mixer to blend it nice and creamy, you'll introduce enough air that it actually shrinks over the first day.

I know this keenly because I had the opposite question- would air in the bottle, and thus eventually dried-out nog-coated interior walls, pose a spoilage threat over time? For fear of this (probably baseless) I calculated my last variation on bitten word to fill two 1.75L bottles as perfectly as possible. Instead because of the air introduced with the mixer I ended up with 2x1.75L plus several 375ml bottles I needed to fill. Most were able to be reintroduced to the main bottles after a day, and I had a tester left over for early drinkin'.

I think I have always left a small air gap in the bottles before and I have never had an issue. I give them a shake every so often or when they look like they need it.

I made a batch yesterday and this morning they had all separated more than I've seen before. They had a nice thick layer of what I assume to be cream at the top. A hard shake mixed them up again, but could this be a sign my fridge is too cold? I also added more alcohol this year; adding it into the egg-sugar mixture before the cold milk to make it easier to 'dissolve' it. Maybe that had to do with the separation.

e: bitten word recipe with 3/4 C extra Kraken , only eggs white are what didn't come off the yolk.
ee: Further reading online leads me to believe separation is normal. It already tastes smooth too.

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 16, 2020

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I have no idea whether the separation is harmless or not, but FWIW the 5 batches I've done have stayed uniform once I got them there. It definitely resists the mixing, and takes a lot of effort by hand (at best I've had little sugar/yolky granules remain). I've gone yolks and sugars, then dairy, then the booze gradually while constantly stirring because I'm never quite sure if it can curdle.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Long time reader, first time nogger.

Can't speak to Alton's racism but his recipe is pretty tasty-- I thought it'd be undrinkably boozy but it's pretty good even when it's freshly made! Can't wait to see how much better it is by next Christmas.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Citing sources would probably be a good start.

See his rap sheet

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

That wordpress post is the only first-hand source of alton brown being a racist, so I think its okay to keep linking egg nog recipes if he continues to keep that poo poo stowed

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
This resurgence in the Noggin thread has reminded me I have a bottle from last year still in the fridge! What kind of monster am I for not consuming it earlier! It will be just that much more delicious now? Right?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I've already drinking a whole bottle of the new batch! This stuff is drat good.

thegoat posted:

What kind of monster am I for not consuming it earlier! It will be just that much more delicious now? Right?

Yes, how was it!?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

thegoat posted:

This resurgence in the Noggin thread has reminded me I have a bottle from last year still in the fridge! What kind of monster am I for not consuming it earlier! It will be just that much more delicious now? Right?

Depends on what you made it with. I've been doing standard batches of Alton Brown's recipe (roughly 10-12% abv) for the past few years and carrying some of each batch forward to the next year. One year old seemed like it was the sweet spot for a "standard" batch, while a two year old batch seemed a little off. I didn't get sick or anything, but it tasted a little bitter, whereas the one year old had perfect balance and creaminess with no alcohol bite whatsoever. I actually have half a batch that's over three years old at this point, but I'm guessing that'll be even more past its prime at this point.

On the other hand, last year I made a ludicrous batch of the Bitten Word recipe that included 120 proof bourbon and 151 Gosling's (about 27% abv by my calculations) that was incendiary last year, and I'm hoping it has mellowed down since last Christmas. Worst case, I can whip a ton of egg whites and fold those in to bring the abv back down some.

Beyond that, other additives/substitutions that you play around with (e.g. toasted cream, cream sherry, dulce de leche, fat-washed liquor, etc.) will likely wildly affect whether aging improves or harms the flavor/texture.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It's almost the end of September and I haven't made my batch for the holidays yet! Grabbing the booze today and should get a container of this going...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

just spent a depressing amount of money on rum, bourbon and cognac. looking forward to feeling very good about it in a few weeks.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I just made a batch of the Alton Brown recipe that I think really blended the booze well. I did a double batch, but I kinda hosed up and only had half of the heavy cream I was supposed to(replaced w/ more milk).
I did:
2 cups bourbon(Old Forester)
2 cups dark rum(Jonah's Curse)
1 cup "George Ocean" coffee rum
1/3 cup Pompero Aniversario
1/3 cup Advocaat(was curious, thought it might work as a substitute for the heavy cream)
1/3 cup Amaretto

I wanna go back and find a way to add the extra cream, but I don't want to gently caress with the flavor too much. Maybe if I add extra booze?

Haize
Jun 13, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

Was meant to all be in kliner bottles but the fuckers at the post office somehow misplaced them and I need to wait a week for redelivery.

Bless your ingenuity and can-do attitude.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Has anyone used powdered sugar instead of granular? I have the former and I'm curious if its going to affect much if I did a substitute since there is a tiny bit of cornstarch in powdered usually. This is specifically for the bitten words recipe

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

Has anyone used powdered sugar instead of granular? I have the former and I'm curious if its going to affect much if I did a substitute since there is a tiny bit of cornstarch in powdered usually. This is specifically for the bitten words recipe

Yeah, I'd assume cornstarch = unpleasant there, personally, but never tried.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I made the Bitten word recipe with a liter of Old Grand-Dad BiB, 1/2 cup of El Dorado 12, and a cup of Felipe II Solera Brandy. It's good - maybe too good - I drank a lot of it trying to cope with the past week.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

George H.W. oval office posted:

The cornstarch probably wont affect it at all, but the fact it is milled more finely will affect the the total quantity you can fit in volumetric measurements. It packs tighter.

If you are measuring by weight, there will be zero effect. If you are measuring by volume, use a little bit less of powdered sugar.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hello eggnog thread!
I've been doing nog for about 10 years at this point. Everyone in the family wants some, although I don't feel they really deserve it. I cant remember how many times I've watched that Science Friday video. Its part of my ramping up ritual ha. But I send that off everytime someone scoffs at how long I let mine age.

Here's what is left of my 2 gal batch from last year.

Sorry I didn't really read through the thread yet. Does anyone bother with fancy booze? I did a side by side one year, and I didn't really notice the difference in Evan Williams bourbon vs Bulleit. I feel like the custard just takes over any nuance and you're just left with a pricier batch.

edit.
Ha, just looked up thread and yea. Lots of ya'll do. My sense of taste isn't distinguished. Chumps

deong fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 24, 2020

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I did kraken instead of pyrat once and the whole batch gave me projectile diarrhea. Might be a weird allergy on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I just made an extremely belated nog, after at least two years of intending to do so but forgetting until it was "too late." This year I decided whatever, I'll do it anyways.

I followed the AB recipe with Wild Turkey, Appleton Estate, and Pierre Ferrand. The latter felt a bit spendy for this, but I already had it on hand and it looks like plenty of people spend more on booze for this than I did. I'll probably only get a week or so of aging in but it will still be good.