Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I did it. I got my nog rocking. Should be gtg for Xmas! I start planning around halloween, but then procrastinate til after thanksgiving most years. Getting just enough time by Xmas.

I think next year, I'm going to switch to liquid yolks and maybe get in with 9 gallons instead of 6 I did this year. This goes out as gifts mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Any good wassail recipes? I'd like a companion drink to nog during this festive season

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
I have three bottles of 13 month old nog from that Bitten Word recipe in the OP. It's been stored fully refrigerated and shaken up every couple months, and there don't seem to be any off odors. Is there any way to know if it's safe to consume or should I schedule a weekend with my toilet and just go for it?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

No way I know of to check. If it doesn't smell off or look funky I'd say you're good. Try a bit first before going nuts.

There's enough booze in there to kill just about any germs.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Earl of ToeJam posted:

I have three bottles of 13 month old nog from that Bitten Word recipe in the OP. It's been stored fully refrigerated and shaken up every couple months, and there don't seem to be any off odors. Is there any way to know if it's safe to consume or should I schedule a weekend with my toilet and just go for it?

I just cracked open my year old nog and didn't die so you're probably good.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

George H.W. oval office posted:

I just cracked open my year old nog and didn't die so you're probably good.

This is my yearly tradition. I save a pint to drink as I make the new years batch.
I make mine pretty strong intentionally.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

The Earl of ToeJam posted:

I've got a bitten word nog that's from '21 and it hasn't killed me.

I finally decided to nog yesterday, so I'll crack it on Christmas I suppose. Been a bit of a tough year financially, but had enough tail ends of bottles to sort of piecemeal the booze together for the 5 cups for bitten word without hitting the nicer stuff. So it's a blend of Hamilton 86, Hog Bay, Barbancourt, Ansac VS, Evan Williams White, Glenrothes, Jefferson Ocean, a good whack off the infinity bottle, and then a half cup of madeira for the optional extra brandy. Did a "natural" sugar, so more of a turbinado sort of thing. Looking forward to it.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
My sipper glass of '22 tastes pretty drat good! I guess we'll see if I expire in the morning.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

In the same vein as EggNog - I made this and have really enjoyed it so far this week. My bottle aged about 3 months:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/allspice-dram-7994228

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://twitter.com/MarmotRespecter/status/1732615095757451494

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I have the last half bottle of my batch I mixed October or November 2019 in my fridge, better give it a taste test to see how it’s going.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Thoughts? Eggnog in a coffee pot! 😍 #shorts #eggnog #coffee #coffeepotrecipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkes2NPf6LU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This is a hate crime

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I finished work today, that means its go time time to crack open the 2023 nog. Verdict: very good. My try this year was using a mix of demara and white sugar and the caramel flavours work wonderfully with the vanilla and nutmeg. Alton brown recipe does it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Tossed together a varient of the Adam Ragusa version with pure rum and half&half, plus a pinch of cinnamon and ginger at the start of the month, results: very smooth, and then the rum punches you in the face.

Personally I'll be mixing whipped cream in while serving for my own drinks.