Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I just failed at basic math, so my experimental half recipe just became all-in on the Bitten Word recipe. I've filled all my empty booze bottles to the brim, do I need to account for the nog expanding over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Really glad I stumbled on this thread. I brought a thermos of my first bitten word batch (only 3 wks) to our office holiday party and it was such a hit I ended up giving away the rest to nog converts in little milk bottles. Regretting my possession by the Christmas spirit, I started another batch, but this one becomes fair game on New Years' and probably won't last long past that.

Batch 1:
5c half & half (because it's what we have)
3c Bulleit bourbon
1.5c Courvosier VS
1c Pyrat rum

Batch 2 is mostly Hennessy with Bulleit, doubt I'll be able to taste/remember the difference.

How marked is the difference you get with aging? I can't resist the call of nog in the winter, but think if I bottle some at summer solstice I could probably leave it alone long enough to forget it exists.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Please say yes, it's the only thing keeping me from digging into mine before the nights are long.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

First I heard of it, but I live in a cave. What little of Alton Brown I've seen on video, he has struck me as unfunny and oddly creepy, and an article I just read from a from a food blogger in Iowa checks out with what you're saying, so I'm happy to assume there are well-documented atrocities in his past that I've not yet unearthed with a 5 minute google search.

This is obviously a clear endorsement of the Bitten Word recipe.

goodness posted:

Is it important to leave a gap of air in the top of the newly filled bottles?

I just realized I reversed your question in my head earlier and can actually answer- no gap is necessary, it doesn't expand. In fact if you use a stand mixer to blend it nice and creamy, you'll introduce enough air that it actually shrinks over the first day.

I know this keenly because I had the opposite question- would air in the bottle, and thus eventually dried-out nog-coated interior walls, pose a spoilage threat over time? For fear of this (probably baseless) I calculated my last variation on bitten word to fill two 1.75L bottles as perfectly as possible. Instead because of the air introduced with the mixer I ended up with 2x1.75L plus several 375ml bottles I needed to fill. Most were able to be reintroduced to the main bottles after a day, and I had a tester left over for early drinkin'.

This was the concoction I bottled on 7/10, filled two 1.75L bottles neatly plus maybe a quart:
16 egg yolks
2.6c sugar
6.5c half & half
3.75c Bulleit Bourbon
2c Hennessy V.S. Yak
1.5c Pyrat XO Rum

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I have no idea whether the separation is harmless or not, but FWIW the 5 batches I've done have stayed uniform once I got them there. It definitely resists the mixing, and takes a lot of effort by hand (at best I've had little sugar/yolky granules remain). I've gone yolks and sugars, then dairy, then the booze gradually while constantly stirring because I'm never quite sure if it can curdle.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I did kraken instead of pyrat once and the whole batch gave me projectile diarrhea. Might be a weird allergy on my part.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Have you ever saved the egg whites, whipped them up and did the whole normal preparation? How much better does that taste?

I usually just drink mine on the rocks as an eggey and sweet bourbon.

I put mine in around summer solstice so I use different egg whites, but it's definitely worth doing at least once. It's nice foamy texture and balances some of the heat from the booze. It's also enough work that I usually don't bother, and I haven't tried fresh nutmeg yet.

I drink mine neat, but sometimes I'll cut it a bit with non-alcoholic grocery store nog.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Is it just California, or has the store-bought non-alcoholic eggnog supply been unusually short elsewhere the last few years? Every December it seems to get scarce earlier, this year it's already hit and miss in the grocery stores. Costco had it for a few days after thanksgiving, now *poof*, nothing but their store brand liqueur.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I mean perhaps I could just squirt in canned whip cream!
This would totally work, it's just that the nog is already very sweet.

I'm testing a thimbleful of this year's batch tonight, starting small to make sure I don't go blind or poo poo myself to death. I cut back 1/2 cup on half-and-half and threw in an extra yolk this round, which seems to have made it approach the consistency of a chocolate malt.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

And barring that, what's the oldest nog y'all have had, mine's never survived more than 6mo I'm sure someone has that beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

After a series of taste tests this summer I decided calvados would not be good for nog even though it sounded cool in theory. Ultimately ended up with a booze base that was mostly cognac and a sweeter rum, less bourbon than usual. The 3-mo taster bears out what you're saying as it already seems to have done the bulk of thickening and mellowing I'd expect; also way better than last year's.