Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I nogged with about 50/50 toasted milk several weeks ago. It turned out pretty good and after repeated "testing", I'm down to a full half-gallon. I did find that some of the milk clumped a bit when I did the toasting, but it strained out really easily so no big deal. Also, my milk toasting process was a little haphazard. I used a couple small mason jars in an instant pot.

I thought that was going to be it for the year, but then my sister started bugging me about making coquito, so I did that yesterday. I actually got my recipe from somebody here on the forums, but I can't recall who, so if this is yours, please step forward and take the credit you deserve because this poo poo is good as hell and I've made it 4 or 5 times already.

Here it is, it's probably edited slightly from the original version because I'm taking it from a text file that's been on my hard drive for years.

Some Cool and Good and Brilliant Goon posted:

You will need the following:

1.5 cups water
3-4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp powdered clove

30 oz Coconut cream - Coco Lopez is the gold standard according to everyone I've asked
3x 13.5 oz cans of coconut milk
3 14 oz cans of Sweetened condensed milk
3x 12 oz cans of Evaporated milk
8 Egg yolks
4c Rum
3x split and scraped vanilla beans

Step 1: Bring water, clove, and cinnamon sticks to a boil and simmer until there is ~1 cup of liquid left. Discard cinnamon and put water aside to cool.

Step 2: Use stick blender to mix evaporated milk, egg yolk, and spiced water.

Step 3: Add everything else and blend until uniform

Step 4: Bottle and stick in fridge for at least overnight. I've tried putting individual cinnamon sticks in each bottle in the past but haven't noticed much difference.

Serve chilled with a grating of nutmeg on top.

Add'l notes: A Puerto Rican friend of mine suggests DonQ for the rum. That works pretty well. I usually use that or whatever white rums I have on hand but then I also usually toss Puerto Rican authenticity to the side and top off with an additional between 1/2cp and 1cp of something dark with absolutely no respect to regeion. This year was a bottle of Bacardi and then about another 3/4 cp of an old bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Riserva. Next year I think I'm going to soak some toasted coconut in the rum for a week or so first then strain it out. This year I also used real cinnamon (not ceylon) and added a couple crushed allspice berries to the boil part.

This is the important part: this makes a lot, so plan accordingly. It doesn't look like much if you're looking at the unopened cans of ingredients together, but you are going to want to make this in a big-rear end (at least 1.5 gallon) pot, and then have something like 2 growlers and probably some other thing like a swing-top handy for the rest. Don't even try making it in your 4.5 quart Kitchenaid because you will destroy your kitchen and everyone that lives with you will hate you forever. A funnel, a large Pyrex 4cp measuring cup, and a chopstick (to wedge between the bottle and the funnel so air can flow and the funnel doesn't back up) and possibly another trusted human being can make bottling the stuff much easier and is highly recommended.

Shake occasionally just like nog, sometimes the various coconut oils get clumpy. I think this stuff peaks at 2-3 weeks so about right now is a pretty good time to make it and maybe have some leftover for new years.

nominal fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU