Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
in 2016 my family liked the nog from the Bitten Word recipe but thought it was a little more alcoholic than they preferred. I had used overproof bourbon there, but I decided to dial it back a little in 2017. I cut a cup of bourbon and replaced it with a cup of Sandeman Armada Cream Sherry. I dialed back the sugar to 1.5c on account of sweet sherry and lightly toasted it. Alcohol-wise, it's a bit less alcoholic than the BW recipe, but somewhat higher than the Alton Brown one. It was very well received and mostly consumed. I still have some squirreled away in the fridge to try again when it gets colder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Whalley posted:

I've done a pretty similar thing with the Bitten Word recipe; used half the bourbon they suggested and replaced it with a port wine. It was pretty good, but I wish I'd just gone into full trashtown and used the butterscotch schnapps a friend suggested, then cut back on sugar a bit more. It's just too alcoholic for most people I serve to to really enjoy.

Last year I waited far too late into the season and just made Alton Brown's fast recipe and... ehhhh, it just wasn't the nog I love. This is going to be a project for this weekend for sure.

The idea of replacing some hard alcohol with with schnapps or liqueur is really interesting to me. Some would definitely get trashy, but a nut liqueur of some sort might be nice. I can't get the idea out of my head that a pineapple one would turn out like some sort of Dole Whip eggnog. Comedy option: Rootbeer.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I did that last year and I didn't really come up with any of them I loved. I tried:

- Ancho Reyes(which was my favorite)
- Creme de Cacao/Creme de Menthe(it was pleasant but not the mint chocolate chip flavor I was hoping for)
- Frangelico + Creme de Cacao

I didn't like them as much as having a nice blend of brown liquors, but I also think I was a little bit afraid to put the amount in that'd make the additional flavoring more than subtle.

How much did you go with?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Whalley posted:

I'm really stuck on the idea of using a peach or a butterscotch schnapps and replacing some of/all of the bourbon with a smokey scotch to balance the extra sweetness, just going ham on substitutions. I just wanna try something different this year.

People last year were really down on the Scotch sub. if you try it, I'm real curious.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Any good deals on jars? I just made my batches for Christmas and realized halfway through that I do not have enough. Threw it in a 4 quart clear cab for holding but probably shouldn't leave it in there (or should i?).

e; I'm only aging it to this Christmas, will probably just leave it.

Ikea has some swing top bottles pretty cheap. Target has some less cheap. Mostly I've just used leftover liquor bottles.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

What’s this thread’s opinion on the Jamie Oliver egg nog recipe?

Apparently it’s boozier than the Alton Brown nog linked in the OP, but I’m thinking about making a version with less alcohol and I’m trying to figure out how much I can safely get away with using.

I've kinda taken Alton's as the baseline for lower alcohol nog. Most recipes tend to go boozier than he does. I've not tried Jamie Oliver's. If you want Oliver's and less boozy, I'd figure out his ABV, and then just trim a bit, whether it's replacing higher ABV things with lower or just cutting a bit until the ABV is in line with Alton.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

Has anyone used powdered sugar instead of granular? I have the former and I'm curious if its going to affect much if I did a substitute since there is a tiny bit of cornstarch in powdered usually. This is specifically for the bitten words recipe

Yeah, I'd assume cornstarch = unpleasant there, personally, but never tried.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I am not sure Smith and Cross was the right option here. It's an odd flavor for nog, but not bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

The Earl of ToeJam posted:

I have three bottles of 13 month old nog from that Bitten Word recipe in the OP. It's been stored fully refrigerated and shaken up every couple months, and there don't seem to be any off odors. Is there any way to know if it's safe to consume or should I schedule a weekend with my toilet and just go for it?

I've got a bitten word nog that's from '21 and it hasn't killed me.

I finally decided to nog yesterday, so I'll crack it on Christmas I suppose. Been a bit of a tough year financially, but had enough tail ends of bottles to sort of piecemeal the booze together for the 5 cups for bitten word without hitting the nicer stuff. So it's a blend of Hamilton 86, Hog Bay, Barbancourt, Ansac VS, Evan Williams White, Glenrothes, Jefferson Ocean, a good whack off the infinity bottle, and then a half cup of madeira for the optional extra brandy. Did a "natural" sugar, so more of a turbinado sort of thing. Looking forward to it.