Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If we assume 40% ABV liquor and that a whole egg contributes about 46 mL liquid volume, I'm getting about 5.20% ABV on Jamie Oliver's recipe and 3.58% ABV on Alton Brown's. The Serious Eats one is about 9.4% depending on whether you do the small shaken batch or the bulk one. Even if we completely ignore any volume contribution from the eggs it only tacks on about 1-2%.

For reference, the thing would have to be roughly half rum/brandy/whatever to even have a chance of hitting 20% ABV. I suspect the actual target is about 20% liquor by total volume, and the original (vaguely written) on the Rockefeller Institute site seems to support this (or not see below). Based on that, we get 13.01% liquor by volume for Jamie Oliver's, 9.03 for Alton Brown's, and about 23.4% for Serious Eats.

E: I was accidentally using the good eats one that was linked off the other question rather than the one in the OP. The one linked in the OP is about 10.59% ABV or 26.47% liquor by volume. For reference, the recipe the dude at Rockefeller used was around 14.69% ABV or 36.74% liquor by volume.

goodness posted:

12/60000.

But really that should be enough alcohol content, does the video specifically say at least 40% ? I haven't watched it in a bit

It doesn't directly specify it, but it is implied because any whisky must be bottled at least 80 proof according to the code of federal regulations.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

goodness posted:

The bitten word recipe comes out to ~40% ABV.
7 cups non-alcohol + (12 yolks at 1tbsp each) = 1800ml
5 cups alcohol = 1182 ml

1800+1182 = 2982
1182/2982 * 100 = 39%

Also, aren't ABV and Liquor by volume are the same thing? How do you get two different numbers for them?

Liquor by volume is just proportion of the total volume that is liquor (i.e. the volume of rum that you can actually measure). It should just equal the ABV/0.4 since I assumed 80 proof. The bitten word one would be 15.86% ABV under your egg estimate unless you're adding laboratory ethanol for some reason.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Control Volume posted:

I have no idea how youre getting 3.58% abv for alton brown's because thats insanely low. You could get that with less than a cup of 80 proof alcohol. It should be clocking in around 10-11% after accounting for sugar dissolving.

The 3.58% was the good eats one which is significantly weaker than the one that was linked in the OP. I accidentally used that since the original question linked a thing that compared Jamie Oliver's to the Good Eats version rather than the stronger one. For reference the one in good eats one was 3 oz of bourbon in 48 oz of combined milk+cream so it should look inherently weak even if we don't account for other volume contributions. I did get 10.58% for the newer Alton Brown recipe.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 4, 2019

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think if you're going to spend money on any real ingredient bourbon is the place to do so. I've used cheap eggs vs farm organic and not noticed a difference. Same with the milk and cream. The choice of bourbon seems to have the greatest effect.

One year I tried a honey bourbon and while right on the edge of being to sweet it was fantastic. Going back to original recipe this year.

I can't say that I'm terribly surprised since one of the major advantages of expensive eggs/milk/cream are freshness and it's being aged for weeks/months. The bourbon also makes up something like 30-40% of the mix. I could maybe see there being some difference if there is variation in the fatty acid compositions of the cream or egg yolks, but honestly the booze and spices probably cover even that up.