Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
"The holidays are around the corner, what better excuse to get drunk and fat? Egg nog can help you do both!

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html
Every fall for several years we've posted this recipe which includes raw eggs and takes at least 1-3 weeks to age. This means if you make a batch this weekend, it should just barely be ready in time for Thanksgiving and should taste even better by the time Christmas and New Years roll around.

One to three weeks, you might ask, won't the raw eggs turn rotten and turn Thanksgiving into a projective vomit food poisoning disaster? Well, normally they would but we're going to be dumping almost half a gallon of hard liquor in there and by my rough estimate it comes out to about 20% alcohol by volume. So feel safe knowing that it should be as sterile as a bottle of Listerine (or insert your mom joke in here)

Now, we've been doing this same recipe for about 5 years and I think it's time to step up our game! If you're an old timer or if you're feeling especially experimental, try to come up with ideas to improve this classic booze nog recipe. I've always enjoyed the more custardy flavor of store-bought egg nog, so I'm going to try cooking several batches to several different temperatures to see if any of them can replicate that store-bought custard flavor. If you have other ideas on how to improve the eggnog, shoot for it!

edit: Turns out there are some newer recipes which tweak the recipe in some ways and might be worth trying out as well:
Alton Brown: http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/
Bitten World: http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/12/taste-test-twelve-month-aged-eggnog.html
Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/rich-and-frothy-holiday-eggnog-with-an-electric-mixer-or-stand-mixer.html

:viggo: Unpasteurized Eggs won't kill you
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/perhaps-another-reason-to-spike-that-eggnog/

Here is my nog session from last last year.

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Old thread archived, thanks to Dr. Gojo Shioji for the reminder.

I'll be making this year's batch today.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Went with the Bitten World recipe with Ben Nevis's cream sherry change. Making 1 gallon batch of normal and one with the sherry.

picture missing heavy cream

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

The idea of replacing some hard alcohol with with schnapps or liqueur is really interesting to me. Some would definitely get trashy, but a nut liqueur of some sort might be nice. I can't get the idea out of my head that a pineapple one would turn out like some sort of Dole Whip eggnog. Comedy option: Rootbeer.

I may do a third batch with different flavors like this. I've been putting them into 1 pint mason jars, so it wouldn't be hard to: make a large batch with minus 1 cup bourbon, divide it into jars, add different liquor to each one to finish.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I drank my batch before the holidays, it was too good.

I want to make some more with toasted sugar and toasted cream.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I nogged a week ago and forgot to update you nog brothers! Nog well!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Has anyone done toasted sugar in one?

e: seems like the toasted cream nogs from last year were a big success for the posters that did them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I’ve just made up a batch for Christmas using Alton Brown’s recipe but only had 2 cups of 40% (80 proof) spirit to hand, I topped up with 1 cup of 35% (70 proof) cinnamon liqueur. What are my odds on accidentally ruining everyone’s new year with salmonella, or is that extra 5% negligible?

12/20000.

But really that should be enough alcohol content, does the video specifically say at least 40% ? I haven't watched it in a bit

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 4, 2019

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Fresh NOG or aged NOG? How aged should it be? Can I just make a batch day of and be fine? Why is this thread from last year? Can I use a carton of egg whites?

I drink it day of, it does mellow out a bit over a couple months. I need to do a blind tasting.

FWIW there is only salmonella on 1/20000 eggs so the risk of you getting sick is insignificant as that is more eggs than you would eat in your whole life if you ate 2 a day.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

kirtar posted:

If we assume 40% ABV liquor and that a whole egg contributes about 46 mL liquid volume, I'm getting about 5.20% ABV on Jamie Oliver's recipe and 3.58% ABV on Alton Brown's. The Serious Eats one is about 9.4% depending on whether you do the small shaken batch or the bulk one. Even if we completely ignore any volume contribution from the eggs it only tacks on about 1-2%.

For reference, the thing would have to be roughly half rum/brandy/whatever to even have a chance of hitting 20% ABV. I suspect the actual target is about 20% liquor by total volume, and the original (vaguely written) on the Rockefeller Institute site seems to support this (or not see below). Based on that, we get 13.01% liquor by volume for Jamie Oliver's, 9.03 for Alton Brown's, and about 23.4% for Serious Eats.

E: I was accidentally using the good eats one that was linked off the other question rather than the one in the OP. The one linked in the OP is about 10.59% ABV or 26.47% liquor by volume. For reference, the recipe the dude at Rockefeller used was around 14.69% ABV or 36.74% liquor by volume.

It doesn't directly specify it, but it is implied because any whisky must be bottled at least 80 proof according to the code of federal regulations.

The bitten word recipe comes out to ~40% ABV.
7 cups non-alcohol + (12 yolks at 1tbsp each) = 1800ml
5 cups alcohol = 1182 ml

1800+1182 = 2982
1182/2982 * 100 = 39%

Also, aren't ABV and Liquor by volume are the same thing? How do you get two different numbers for them?

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 3, 2019

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

kirtar posted:

Liquor by volume is just proportion of the total volume that is liquor (i.e. the volume of rum that you can actually measure). It should just equal the ABV/0.4 since I assumed 80 proof. The bitten word one would be 15.86% ABV under your egg estimate unless you're adding laboratory ethanol for some reason.

I did forget to account that the alcohol I was adding isn't pure. So 15.86% is right. Seems much lower than the effects of a couple shots of it would indicate. Looks like I'm doubling the booze for the next one.

So, aside from the rockefeller being only 1 study and a very small one, it seems at least ~15% is needed to kill salmonella on the 12/20000 chance your 12 eggs had it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I have let you all down again. Tis the season for noggin.

Is it important to leave a gap of air in the top of the newly filled bottles?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

I just realized I reversed your question in my head earlier and can actually answer- no gap is necessary, it doesn't expand. In fact if you use a stand mixer to blend it nice and creamy, you'll introduce enough air that it actually shrinks over the first day.

I know this keenly because I had the opposite question- would air in the bottle, and thus eventually dried-out nog-coated interior walls, pose a spoilage threat over time? For fear of this (probably baseless) I calculated my last variation on bitten word to fill two 1.75L bottles as perfectly as possible. Instead because of the air introduced with the mixer I ended up with 2x1.75L plus several 375ml bottles I needed to fill. Most were able to be reintroduced to the main bottles after a day, and I had a tester left over for early drinkin'.

I think I have always left a small air gap in the bottles before and I have never had an issue. I give them a shake every so often or when they look like they need it.

I made a batch yesterday and this morning they had all separated more than I've seen before. They had a nice thick layer of what I assume to be cream at the top. A hard shake mixed them up again, but could this be a sign my fridge is too cold? I also added more alcohol this year; adding it into the egg-sugar mixture before the cold milk to make it easier to 'dissolve' it. Maybe that had to do with the separation.

e: bitten word recipe with 3/4 C extra Kraken , only eggs white are what didn't come off the yolk.
ee: Further reading online leads me to believe separation is normal. It already tastes smooth too.

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 16, 2020

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I've already drinking a whole bottle of the new batch! This stuff is drat good.

thegoat posted:

What kind of monster am I for not consuming it earlier! It will be just that much more delicious now? Right?

Yes, how was it!?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I usually age for a few months to 6 , this year going for a 12 month batch. Will post new thread once the new year starts.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think if you're going to spend money on any real ingredient bourbon is the place to do so. I've used cheap eggs vs farm organic and not noticed a difference. Same with the milk and cream. The choice of bourbon seems to have the greatest effect.

One year I tried a honey bourbon and while right on the edge of being to sweet it was fantastic. Going back to original recipe this year.

Good to know as a "foodie" "friend" dunked on me for using generic store ingredients for the eggs, milk, cream.

May have to try a few batches this year.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Time flies, can't believe its been 3 years for this thread. I've let y'all down by not reincarnating it.

Making a batch today to bring some people for Thanksgiving.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Made the Bitten Word batch again. Added an extra cup of liquor so we'll see how it turns out :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Anyone holding on to some pre-pandemic nog?