Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hello eggnog thread!
I've been doing nog for about 10 years at this point. Everyone in the family wants some, although I don't feel they really deserve it. I cant remember how many times I've watched that Science Friday video. Its part of my ramping up ritual ha. But I send that off everytime someone scoffs at how long I let mine age.

Here's what is left of my 2 gal batch from last year.

Sorry I didn't really read through the thread yet. Does anyone bother with fancy booze? I did a side by side one year, and I didn't really notice the difference in Evan Williams bourbon vs Bulleit. I feel like the custard just takes over any nuance and you're just left with a pricier batch.

edit.
Ha, just looked up thread and yea. Lots of ya'll do. My sense of taste isn't distinguished. Chumps

deong fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I had a reminder for Sunday to start noggin, but I'm trying to pack to move so... poo poo
I tried to do a fancy nog once. Farm eggs, good milk, good booze. Didn't really help the end product imo. I feel like time is the icky ingredient worth splurging on.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Its noggin time!
I'll be making mine here in the next week or so! I use the typical half booze half custard mix. I still have a pint from last year ready to get me through making the new batch; as is tradition!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've got last November batch. More than I expected, I think about a gallon survived. Mild Winter I guess. Never have I kept more than one years worth.
Feels too early to start.. I like it too be cool out. I usually do mine near Halloween.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm prepping for nog this year. I usually do Alton Brown's recipe but adding rye so it's 6oz each of brandy, rum, bourbon, and rye. I've got most of a bottle of Rhum Barbancourt 8 year, would that go well in nog or would the complexity of it just muddy up the flavor? I generally prefer the 4 year because I like the harsher flavor so I don't really ever use the 8 year. I'm planning on Rittenhouse for the rye and OGD Bottled in Bond for the bourbon. Possibly Pierre Ferrand for the brandy, people in the cocktail thread recommended it as a general cocktail brandy.

One year I went with some nice booze, and farm eggs.. I don't think it tasted much different than my normal batch with evan williams/meyers/cheap eggs. I think between aging and all the milk/sugar, it really dulls out the nicer ingredients.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I did it. I got my nog rocking. Should be gtg for Xmas! I start planning around halloween, but then procrastinate til after thanksgiving most years. Getting just enough time by Xmas.

I think next year, I'm going to switch to liquid yolks and maybe get in with 9 gallons instead of 6 I did this year. This goes out as gifts mostly.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

George H.W. oval office posted:

I just cracked open my year old nog and didn't die so you're probably good.

This is my yearly tradition. I save a pint to drink as I make the new years batch.
I make mine pretty strong intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://twitter.com/MarmotRespecter/status/1732615095757451494