Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Last year I used 100% brandy but infused the brandy with cardamom, almonds, vanilla and stuff and it was really good without falling too far from the nog tree imo. I might go back to something more bourbon oriented this year, but I haven't put much thought into it yet. I still use the old Joy of Cooking recipe (w/ various liquors and w/out the egg whites):

quote:

12 egg yolks
1 pound confectioner's sugar
6 cups dark rum
8 cups heavy cream

It's not far off from Alton Brown's but with full cream and twice as much booze. Go hard or go home, and don't be afraid to put more liquor in Alton's if you want shock and awe.

e: Also, mason jar crew, get one of these

https://www.amazon.com/reCAP-Mason-Canning-Mouth-Black/dp/B00KBBAO0Y/

ee: also, I know raw eggs are fine, but since I use fresh eggs from a sketchy goat shack and I give some of my nog to sickly nonagenarians I like to go the extra mile and I pasteurize them myself w/ the sous vide circulator which is not really a hassle

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just made a single egg test batch of nog, joy of cooking proportions, but with toasted cream and a mix of bourbon, brandy and rum I had on hand, and it's divine. Perfectly smooth and drinkable immediately, before even chilling properly, with the slightest hint of dulce de leche. I think I'm in love & will probably do this on the big batch this year

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Also how do I convince my extremely stupid bull-headed mother that homemade eggnog won’t make everybody sick? I tried telling her about the scientific proof that the alcohol would kill any bad stuff in the eggs, and she doesn’t care and vowed to pour anything I make down the drain after 3 days.

pasteurized eggs, show her the carton. they're made to be used raw in cocktails and such. this is part of why I use pasteurized eggs, because it's easier to say you use special eggs that are fine and point to a commercial product on the shelf at harris teeter than to explain science and such to all your cousins at christmas.

toasted cream

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 24, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I think I might actually use a blend of toasted and regular cream. The toasted cream is a bit thinner than untoasted and even though the flavor of the 100% toasted batch was a resounding 10/10 the mouthfeel is noticeably less rich, and I got the same feedback from one of my tasters. I'm used to it coming out pretty heavy, and this was about the consistency of baileys which is a bit thin in comparison. So I made another test batch with the last of the toasted cream mixed 50:50 with heavy cream and the creaminess is back but the caramel flavor is much more subdued and we're down to a 9 on flavor. The sweet spot is in the middle there somewhere I think and I'll probably go for 75% or so unless I'm overcome with motivation tomorrow and I do another test batch to see if I can go higher :weed:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 25, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've done it with max strength joy of cooking nog and it was weird, like the ice cream was sweet enough that the nog didn't taste sweet in comparison and the booze flavor shot to the top of the stack and it tasted like I'd floated ice cream in a glass of Brandy and cream

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Full strength joy nog really does need at least a month of aging to mellow out so if you rushed it that might have been the problem

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dagen H posted:

Tangential question: if egg whites spend a couple months in the freezer, will they whip up okay?

I did this a few years ago, before I gave up on the whites, and it worked but took forever iirc

e:

I would have bought something better/darker than bacardi gold but I've already got it on hand and it'll be fine

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 28, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nog done

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Where are you keeping all this? I’m hoping to make 2 or 3 gallons and I’m having a tough time convincing my parents to let me keep that much in our fridge for 2 months, much less a full year.

the beer fridge

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

How did the toasted cream go for the people who chose to use it? I just finished my 24 hour sous vide off of the Serious Eats recipe, and I'm considering my options in terms of how much to put in.

I did 2:1 toasted:untoasted and it's delicious

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just popped jar of 2017 nog and it had a thick layer of loving nog butter on top and its fuckin excellent. I'm gonna eat it like icing on a brownie or something. Currently sipping a blend of 2017 and 2018 nogs, living the nog life.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My nog has been aging for about 3 months now. So close to being able to crack it open...

I went with Makers Mark for the bourbon this year instead of whatever cheap stuff I found on sale. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Does anyone here add any spices in right away when making it? I'd worry that they'd overpower the drink considering how long they are in there for.

Last year I infused my booze with almonds, vanilla, cardamom mace and cinnamon and it was good. This year I toasted the cream w/ a bit of cinnamon stick, and it is also good

e: Hey have any of you guys ever tried buttermilk in your nog? I was thinking about it because I've got Salt Fat Acid Heat on the brain, but then I found a kenji recipe for Lemon Buttermilk Eggnog and now I'm afraid we may all have been missing the magic ingredient all along

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I was looking at george washington's recipe:

George Washington posted:

One quart cream, one quart milk , one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whisky, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry - mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well.

Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.
If we can assume that George Washington's tablespoons were like our tablespoons and that a tablespoon of sugar then weighed about the same as it does now, this recipe has about 1/3 of a pound of sugar in it but is otherwise comparable to the JOC recipe. I wonder how it is.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Everyone said the toasted cream nog was the best yet (I've been doing this 10 years now) and I tend to agree with them even though they tell me that every year

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I still have a good bit of toasted cream/joy of cooking nog left from last year so I'm just making a small batch of alton brown this year

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I added an extra cup of kraken to the Alton Brown nog and as of thanksgiving I was a little worried about the bite but tonight is the night that it has graduated to the next level, and my god. the bite of the ethanol is gone and all that's left is caramel and vanilla and a bit of cognac in the back of the nose and I'm going to finish this bottle tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

just spent a depressing amount of money on rum, bourbon and cognac. looking forward to feeling very good about it in a few weeks.