Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Thanks for putting up the new thread. I was making a batch of Alton's standard recipe last weekend, and I wanted to look into a few alternative recipes. I love the classic flavor, but I gave some to a few family members last year as Christmas gifts and I could tell they'd prefer something a little different. Serious Eats has a lot of modified theme recipes and I'd like to try some of those as gifts this year, but I'm not sure if some of the ingredients will take kindly to aging. Obviously eggs, dairy, sugar, and booze certainly do, but I'm not sure whether things like freshly-brewed espresso or coconut milk will play nice in a jar for several weeks or months. Does anyone have any experience with egg nog "adjunct" usage like this? Just to point out, I would only plan to serve the garnishes in those recipes at the time of serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Since we're talking about storage, be aware that if you use the flip top bottles or containers from Ikea like I do (the Korken line), the glass is a little thin. I use one for keeping filtered water in the fridge, and the back of my fridge froze the bottle and subsequently shattered it. I think even low alcohol content egg nog should be freeze resistant, but I nevertheless shifted some stuff around to keep all of my nog away from the coldest part of the fridge (as well as bringing up the temperature setting a hair).

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

immortalyawn posted:

I added 1 small (65ml) yakult brand pro-biotic bottle to 1 litre of milk (I used soy, but any milk dairy or otherwise will work) and within 2 days the entire litre was thickened to the consistency of the original yakult (actually a little more thicker but still very pourable). Was very very slightly tart as well (and not sweet at all, yakult has a tonne of sugar added to it)

So if anyone is wondering of ways to make a nice thick dairy beverage, or thicken up a dairy beverage, lacto fermentation is pretty easy.

I used yakult, i assume you can use goodbelly or whatever else would work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult

Thanks for the info. I might try this out with one of my batches, but using whipped egg whites means I'll have that many more egg yolks to make even more nog and nog-like drinks.

Speaking of, does anyone know if rompope or advocaat age as well as standard nog? Or are those more designed to be built immediately before drinking?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Incelshok Na posted:

I really think we need to talk about what a horrific racist Alton Brown is.

Citing sources would probably be a good start.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

thegoat posted:

This resurgence in the Noggin thread has reminded me I have a bottle from last year still in the fridge! What kind of monster am I for not consuming it earlier! It will be just that much more delicious now? Right?

Depends on what you made it with. I've been doing standard batches of Alton Brown's recipe (roughly 10-12% abv) for the past few years and carrying some of each batch forward to the next year. One year old seemed like it was the sweet spot for a "standard" batch, while a two year old batch seemed a little off. I didn't get sick or anything, but it tasted a little bitter, whereas the one year old had perfect balance and creaminess with no alcohol bite whatsoever. I actually have half a batch that's over three years old at this point, but I'm guessing that'll be even more past its prime at this point.

On the other hand, last year I made a ludicrous batch of the Bitten Word recipe that included 120 proof bourbon and 151 Gosling's (about 27% abv by my calculations) that was incendiary last year, and I'm hoping it has mellowed down since last Christmas. Worst case, I can whip a ton of egg whites and fold those in to bring the abv back down some.

Beyond that, other additives/substitutions that you play around with (e.g. toasted cream, cream sherry, dulce de leche, fat-washed liquor, etc.) will likely wildly affect whether aging improves or harms the flavor/texture.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is there some suitable alternative to egg whites for whipping into your nog?

I guess you could try aqua faba (the water from canned chickpeas), but I dunno how that would play with egg nog. It is used as an egg white substitute in baked goods like meringue, so maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

If you're just worried about convenience, you can freeze egg whites in an ice cube tray (to get individual servings) and thaw them when you want to use them. You can also buy cartons of just egg whites, but I'm not sure how reliably you can dose those out to a recipe (e.g. "6 egg whites").

I typically make homemade advocaat at Christmas (which uses a dozen egg yokes and no egg whites), so I conveniently end up with a dozen egg whites that I can then use for the egg nog I have aging in the fridge.