Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My nog has been aging for about 3 months now. So close to being able to crack it open...

I went with Makers Mark for the bourbon this year instead of whatever cheap stuff I found on sale. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Does anyone here add any spices in right away when making it? I'd worry that they'd overpower the drink considering how long they are in there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Got a double batch in at the start of the month.

As always did one with my normal recipe, and one with a few tweaks. Using brown sugar and a bit more rum in the experimental batch this year.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Any good deals on jars? I just made my batches for Christmas and realized halfway through that I do not have enough. Threw it in a 4 quart clear cab for holding but probably shouldn't leave it in there (or should i?).

e; I'm only aging it to this Christmas, will probably just leave it.

I just use old growlers I have cleaned, sitting around. Thats worked well for me for a few years now.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This came up in the homebrew thread but a reminder to start your nog for the season!

I use the Chow recipe and have had good luck with it for years using Makers Mark for the bourbon. Today Costco had the Barton single barrel stuff for cheaper than Makers so going that route this year.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think if you're going to spend money on any real ingredient bourbon is the place to do so. I've used cheap eggs vs farm organic and not noticed a difference. Same with the milk and cream. The choice of bourbon seems to have the greatest effect.

One year I tried a honey bourbon and while right on the edge of being to sweet it was fantastic. Going back to original recipe this year.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Egg Nog reminder folks!

Just made a double batch using this classic recipe:
https://greatist.com/eat/best-eggnog

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Have you ever saved the egg whites, whipped them up and did the whole normal preparation? How much better does that taste?

I usually just drink mine on the rocks as an eggey and sweet bourbon.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is a reminder to folks. You should start preparing your eggnog now!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I always keep a bit that I age for one year so I've got some on hand too.

In my testing 1 year is the perfect amount to age. I haven't noticed much if any improvement beyond that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

No way I know of to check. If it doesn't smell off or look funky I'd say you're good. Try a bit first before going nuts.

There's enough booze in there to kill just about any germs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

In the same vein as EggNog - I made this and have really enjoyed it so far this week. My bottle aged about 3 months:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/allspice-dram-7994228