Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

History

Last winter my girlfriend, Soulhiatus, got me hooked on BioWare games. I played through Mass Effect 2 and 3 as Ziggi Shepard, who was resurrected with the help of regenerative alien DNA. Now that Shepard's story is over, all that's left is for Soulhiatus and I to play through Mass Effect: Andromeda. But how do I top a Shepard full of extraterrestrial DNA? By making Ryder-- our new main character-- half-asari!

I get that you're eccentric, but how will that choice affect gameplay?

No idea! We'll have to see. It will most likely just create a (mass) Kuleshov Effect-- if you're enjoying the ride, you may insert or notice subtext in the dialogue and in how Ryder is treated. Also, as Soulhiatus makes clear early on, we will be playing her as young asari tend to act; namely, by being very flirtatious. We'll be pursuing as many romances as possible, and with luck and game-saving, we may even have to censor stuff!

But doesn't this game kinda suck?
ALLEGEDLY! I completely get that people were disappointed, but I would still place the blame on EA, not Andromeda itself. As you may expect, Soulhiatus and I are very open-minded and we had a good time with the first 1.5 hours. One of the complaints I've heard about the game is that the NPC's are Just Too Horny, but that fits in with our Ryder just fine (pun alert).

Also, all the Andromeda LP's that show up on the top of YouTube seem to have been done before a critical game patch. So at least we've got better eyes and makeup in this romp.

Will Schecky be joining you again? And didn't you say your next LP would be Hotline Miami 2, two years ago?
Wow you've got a great memory! You should be proud of yourself!
Hotline Miami is coming soon, but the technicalities of recording my pupil dilation forced me to put it on the backburner. I moved away, for school, so this isn't conducive to getting my Dad on-board again. I am working on another project utilizing Skype, but it's about anime instead of video games. And Schecky needs to get over his mercury poisoning first. :whitewater:

Now, without further ado, say hello to Eve Zesmeni "E. Z." Ryder!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

EPISODES

Episode 1 -- Ikea In Spaaaace

Episode 2 -- Give Me Your Fidget Spinner

Episode 3 -- No Planet For Old Men

Episode 4 -- She Looks Like Freddy Krueger In Drag

Episode 5 -- A Tired Face Is No Excuse

Episode 6 -- Meeting The Crew And All That Jazz

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Reserved in case of emergencies, and alsooooo

Fan Art!

(Magic Wand, make this section growwww! :circlefap: )

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I completely abandoned this game due to deep disappointment around the 4th planet so I might as well watch someone else play it to see if the later parts of the game get better

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I completely abandoned this game due to deep disappointment around the 4th planet so I might as well watch someone else play it to see if the later parts of the game get better

We've heard this story many times, even from friends and family. So in a way, I'm being very charitable and that's good for my ego. :boom:

The good news is I get to edit the footage after-the-fact, so if we hit a slump I will do my best to speed it up or just cut it out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The first ~4 hours of Andromeda are absolutely stellar in terms of presentation, atmosphere and storytelling. Once you have your whole party together and leave Aya for the open map is where things fall apart.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The first ~4 hours of Andromeda are absolutely stellar in terms of presentation, atmosphere and storytelling. Once you have your whole party together and leave Aya for the open map is where things fall apart.

Uh oh, almost halfway there! Did you make it through the whole game, nine-gear crow? I tend to be a completionist, but it's starting to sound like I might have to make an exception. Or maybe we'll have fun laughing at the whole experience. We should be fine as long as we don't try to get through the Shrine of the Silver Monkey... (another reference, just to confuse younger viewers)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Espresso Steampunk posted:

Uh oh, almost halfway there! Did you make it through the whole game, nine-gear crow? I tend to be a completionist, but it's starting to sound like I might have to make an exception. Or maybe we'll have fun laughing at the whole experience. We should be fine as long as we don't try to get through the Shrine of the Silver Monkey... (another reference, just to confuse younger viewers)

I got about as close as I could tolerate to 100%ing it before I beat it, yes. A lot of the side quests are really tedious and involve a lot of backtracking and hopping between planets to complete what should be relatively simple matters, and the main quest comes up lacking quite often too.

Like, I'm happy this game is being LP'd, and it's nowhere near as bad as the internet loves to smear it as, but yeah I have near zero desire to go back and replay it now that I'm done with it, doubly so since there will never be any kind of follow up to it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I was fine with the new characters and shoddy animation and awkward attempt to shoehorn open worlds in, etc. I just couldn't forgive the blatant cost cutting like the entire Asari race having two models: one for Peebee and one for literally every other Asari.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 20, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I tried multiple times to get through this, but each time I gave up. I eventually realized that... well, I liked maybe 2 characters enough to get to know them, and the level design just... I dunno, it felt like they thought "If we make it open world, then we can just throw them in there, what's the point in planning a path anyway, right?"

The environments just didn't feel set up to create interesting combat, like they realized that there is a challenge in designing open world games (you can't automatically predict which direction a person is coming from) and their response was to not even try to address it.

edit: I tried really, REALLY hard to like the game that let me combo incinerate and charge. A lot of the armor options were gross as hell. Just looked terrible.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 20, 2018

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 20, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I played through the game once, and usually enjoyed it. The combat is pretty fun. But I've never touched it again after beating it, in contrast to the first three Mass Effect games.

Your Ryder looks pretty good, better than the dope faced standard Ryder. I'm following this, just to see what differences the patch makes.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Oh boy, now I can't wait to try on those ugly armors! I googled a bit and that sure is a weird aesthetic they're going with. I'll probably mention this in-game, but it seems like they tried extra hard to make this different from the previous games, and that seems to be where the problems came from (to varying degrees that a player might find it problematic). To me, it does kind of have a "Jetsons In Hell" feel to it. But again.... trying to stay open-minded. Or at least enjoy the journey!

Hedrigall, holy hell, that picture of the asari is hilarious! Also a bummer, of course. Where'd you find it, and where in the game does it happen? If I haven't passed it already, I really want to keep an eye out for it, for the sake of the YouTubers.

Heyyyy, Torrannor, thanks for sharing your experience, too. Sounds like you're in the minority so far, but I'm (currently) hopeful about also usually enjoying it.

Speaking of the patch, the first thing I noticed is they seem to have unlocked all the hairstyles. The Let's Plays I'd glanced at from earlier seemed to have about 12 hairstyles for each gender, whereas E. Z. had all of them to choose from. When we finally see Scott Knight Ryder, you'll notice I was able to give him 80's rocker hair which was previously only available to lady-Ryders (wait let me rephrase that :mmmhmm: ). At least, that was my sleep-deprived impression when we were blitzing this first episode.

I'm sure most of you have studied the patch very intensely, but here's a link to show some differences. They're subtle but certainly greater than the sum of their parts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCxPP5QY75M

Also, a picture is worth a thousand words (and one eyeball clipping through an eyelid).

Note that these are from patch 1.06. They've patched up to 1.09, but I wasn't able to find a good video, and I think most of the graphics stuff was back in 1.06, anyway.

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 20, 2018

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, this game was such a blazing disappointment for me, in more ways than one. IŽll probably chime in once we get further into the plot.

Prince Orcus
Mar 1, 2016
Animation and modelling issues aside, I had a lot of fun with this game. The exploration is actually fun, which is more than can be said for literally any other ME game. Horniness is more or less what I expected from a ME game, so I was ready for it. The mid-late game can be a bit of a slog, but the finale is bonkers awesome so it ended up being worth it for me. The Kett made for a lacklustre villain, but I liked all the business with the Angara and how they fit in with the overall theme.

Once again, leaving the animation/model issues aside, I have a feeling a lot of people just weren't ready for the jump from Space Opera to Space Western in a ME game. It's much more casual, less melodramatic, much more fuzzy in its politics.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
I am really digging the conflicting opinions on this game! I'm looking forward to you chiming in, Sylphosaurus... hopefully we can provide at least a different style of gameplay, even if the results are the same (I'm looking at you, Ending Of Mass Effect 3!).

Prince Orcus, calling it a jump from Space Opera to Space Western is a very cool description. When you put it that way, I agree, it does sound like a larger deviation that people were expecting, myself included. And the bad press was instantaneous. On a Dragon Age facebook page, someone once asked "Who is the worst villain in all the BioWare games?" I replied "EA, every time."

:staredog:
^----- those of you who are new to my Let's Plays will soon learn I post the staredog a lot, due to a 2-year-old superstition that it will eventually summon Geop to the thread!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Episode 2 -- Give Me Your Fidget Spinner

Episode 2 is up! Looks like we've settled into a posting schedule: Tuesday nights! I'd like to update twice a week, but we've got a couple other projects in the works right now, so we're trying to manage our time appropriately. Glad you're along for the ride, dear viewer.

:palmon:

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Hey friends, can I crowdsource your opinion? My brother told me that episode 2 seems to have some artifacts when there's motion in dark places. He suspects the bitrate is too low. But also he was watching it on his phone so perhaps that could account for it? :derp:

If you've watched episode 2 (and I hope you enjoyed it!), let me know if you noticed anything. I may just toy around with different presets when I render, but first I need to figure out what/when my brother saw artifacts. Thanks!
:stoked:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are definitely artifacts there. I'm no technical expert, so I can't say what's causing this. I've watched the episode on a PC, so it's not a phone problem.

By the way, donations are on the way to make your worst fears come true! :twisted:

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Torrannor posted:

There are definitely artifacts there. I'm no technical expert, so I can't say what's causing this. I've watched the episode on a PC, so it's not a phone problem.

Thank you for checking that out! It's not the news I'd have liked ... but that's the way the cookie crisp crumbles.

Torrannor (along with anyone else who has the time), do you happen to know a specific spot in the episode where I could see the artifacting? If I know that, I can just try rendering that clip with various settings until I get it right. I will also poke around in the tech forums here on SA, but it would help if I could point to the specific problem itself. (I went artifact hunting earlier and couldn't seem to figure out where it was happening, probably because I have less-discerning eyes?). Thanks again

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Here's episode 3! We've finally broken through the tutorial (well, like 95%), we've got points to spend, and I just pray the quality holds up. Streaming through the XBox One is... more hands-off than I'm used to. Next episode we try it with the film grain off.

Episode 3 -- No Planet For Old Men

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Here's another update! We're exploring the Nexus (finally) and collecting side quests. We also establish some jokes which will become running gags next episode.

(The update was a day late because I have finals woop woop)

Episode 4 -- She Looks Like Freddy Krueger In Drag

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Oops! Posted this one 5 days ago now and never finished telling everyone about it. I'm doing clinicals for school now and it is banana-pants crazy. Plus I'm doing another YT show also.

Once I get a handle on my schedule I'm going to start making shorter videos, and uploading twice a week. I have learned that 22-minute videos are way more edible than 45-minute ones...

Episode 5 -- A Tired Face Is No Excuse

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I enjoyed Andromeda. Enough that I was rather disappointed that the loose story ends that were obviously set up for DLC never amounted to anything.

I think the game has some pretty serious issues. I also think the internet loves hate-mobbing stuff. If the choice was between getting an Andromeda-ish sequel or no more Mass Effect ever I'd happily sign up for the sequel!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
IDGI was their an option to have your character not human or are we just RPing?

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Bettik posted:

I enjoyed Andromeda. Enough that I was rather disappointed that the loose story ends that were obviously set up for DLC never amounted to anything.

I think the game has some pretty serious issues. I also think the internet loves hate-mobbing stuff. If the choice was between getting an Andromeda-ish sequel or no more Mass Effect ever I'd happily sign up for the sequel!

I agree 100%. I'm doing a non-LP-playthrough by myself, to hopefully streamline this let's play a bit... and the sidequests/driving everywhere is getting annoying. But that just means I won't do all the sidequests in my own playthrough, and for this LP we're avoiding as much as we can (henceforth) because holy hell, that's a lot of game. It's definitely not perfect, and the game shouldn't have been released with the graphics it had at the time, but I really do suspect a lot of the hate was the feeling of betrayal that BioWare was investing all their resources into Anthem instead of A Sure Thing. Am I excited to play Anthem? Not currently. :staredog:

Gridlocked posted:

IDGI was their an option to have your character not human or are we just RPing?

We are just RPing. :allears: But also I was assuming there would be a bitttt more family-interaction before everything kicked into motion, so there's not much chance to expand E. Z.'s backstory, alas. But I've always been attracted to the subtext and the Kuleshov Effect. When Soulhiatus got me to play Dragon Age: Inquisition (my first BioWare game), Sweetmoves Lavellan would always get looked down on for being an "elf." But she was also gay, so there was the feeling like, "Are they actually mad because she's an elf, or is that just their excuse?" And it did affect how I made some choices.

When I played ME2 and ME3, I wasn't sure how to make Shepard look. I find myself feeling like the options are either: Hilariously Ugly (too easy) or Sexy Space Soldier (too common, perhaps?). So once again my headcanon kicked in: what if Cerberus haaaaad to use alien DNA to rebuild Shepard, because of its stem cells or regenerative properties, etc. So I had a Tilda Swinton-esque Xeno-Shepard:

As you might expect, whenever someone referred to her as "human," it had an extra layer of irony, or surprise, or whatever. It also made Cerberus's agenda more of a "grey" (haha) area during ME2. Shepard was an infiltrator, so I knew going into Andromeda that I wanted to try out a biotic. Making a half-asari was a thought experiment that worked so well that we decided to stick with it. Will it change how we interpret some of the scripted dialogue? I honestly don't know at this point. But it could be fun, and outer space has enough redheads as is...

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Hope everyone had a "Happy" "Howl"-o-ween!

Here's another Andromeda; we take a look at space travel and talk to the crew. Shockingly, three different people shoot down E. Z.'s advances! We also talk about the architecture of the Tempest (well, its bathrooms) and Soulhiatus uses the term "elf MILF," so you have that to look forward to as well.

Episode 6 -- Meeting The Crew And All That Jazz

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 2, 2018

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Quick update, for you chosen few who still follow this thread. :D

Apologies for the delays. Basically everyone in the house got sick, and then got each other sick. Also, school is beating my cakes, but we'll be back in production next weekend. So around 11/20 we should be back to our regular schedule. Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm still following this!

Delays happen, don't sweat it. I hope you all get better.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I'm still following this!

Delays happen, don't sweat it. I hope you all get better.

Thank you, I appreciate that! In the meantime, there is other stuff on my channel; but I oughtn't post links to the dating-sims-show Soul and I are doing, so feel free to just poke around if you want my dulcet tones in your earholes (???).

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Even if the entire game is a shitshow, it's still almost redeemed just for having Vetra :v:

Also if you're trying to place Suvi's VA, she's Cait in FO4

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 10, 2019

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Yeah, Soulhiatus romances Garrus every chance she gets. And also writes smutty fanfiction about him. Alas, the true appearance of turian tatas will be a mystery forever, it seems...

Thanks for that tip about Suvi. I must admit I never got into the FO franchise but that is good information for the thread. And wow, that is a strong accent she's got!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's one of those accents that people go "That has to be a fake accent" with, but no, that's just Glasgow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Nalesh posted:

It's one of those accents that people go "That has to be a fake accent" with, but no, that's just Glasgow.

Absolutely! :O We had a similar experience with Widowmaker from Overwatch... it sure was embarrassing when we watched one of those "Meet the voice actors" videos.