Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
The Canada Cup starts on Wednesday. Probably the biggest event so far this season. It will be interesting to see all the reformed teams playing at this level, especially Einarson and Carruthers teams. It's on TSN in Canada. Not sure if its available in the US.

https://www.tsn.ca/curling-season-heats-up-with-canada-cup-from-estevan-1.1218554

I think I'll be cheering for Epping. I like him and Matt Camm. Getting Laing and Savill was good for them. And I've lived in Ontario for 5 years now. But I'll still be cheering for all the Manitoba teams, especially Darcy Robertson.

Also how about Ryan Fry eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Ryan Fry getting too drunk at a bonspeil is actually super Canadian. Jacobs still bad though.

And Einarson has had a great start to the season. They've won four tour events and have a great record. Carruthers team on the other hand has not had a good start, and they seem to struggle with who is calling the game.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not so sure about NWT. They have a tough match today with the wild card, and then in the cross-over they have to play Alberta, Ontario and at least one other strong experienced team (Fleury or McCarville, maybe both). The B pool is weak this year, and made even weaker by Jones playing so poorly. Two not great teams are going to make the crossover pool, and then probably get destroyed 3 or 4 games in a row.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
The NB PEI game ahs been wild. NB keeps giving up huge scores but gets them right back.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I want McEwen to finally win, in his home town. Also, have they decided that McEwen is skip now? Or is it still technically Carruthers?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah the lifted stone is old school. Some guys like koe only do it for up weight shots. Jim cotter does it for every throw.

Looks like koe and Jacobs are the teams to beat. Jacobs in particular has been outstanding

E. It almost looks like the playoffs are set for the brier. One of the 4 bottom teams would have to go 4 and 0 in the Champions pool to even have a chance I think. If any of them could do it it would be McEwen. But they haven't played great this week

Duck Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 7, 2019

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I can't cheer for bottcher since he beat Epping to get here. But I also can't cheer for Jacob's because. So I guess go koe

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Carey is just not cutting it

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Good to have curling back. I'm cheering for wild card 3 since I know the team. They were lucky to get the win against alberta and probably need to beat nwt and northern Ontario to get into the next round

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Big game between wild card 3 and northwest territories right now. Winner gets 4 more games at least

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Powershift posted:

Super great game played by Einarson. Homan just couldn’t figure out the ice. Plus that super unfortunate pick in the 10th didn’t help.

Now we have to wait all the way until Saturday for the Brier

Starts Friday at 8:30 EST

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I think they use new rocks every year, and probably just didn't think it would be a problem

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I'm curious why you all like bottcher so much? I feel like there's teams that play a more interesting game. Is it that he's been close but not quite there? Personality?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I don't mind bottcher, just wondering why all the fanfare. But yeah dunstone is my guy this year. I've wanted mcewen to finally pull off a brier for a while but that doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon or ever. Jacobs is the most boring and I'm glad they haven't been into it lately. The Koe family as a whole are fun as hell

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Gotta feel bad for dunstone. He was in a good position but bottcher made an amazing shot. Two bronze in a row for dunstone now

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think morris worked well with koe. We'll see if he stays on the team. Found it interesting in the 4th when Koe called just bj down to talk about a shot

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Wonder if his back is still bothering him and he's trying to play through it

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
What are we looking at for qualifiers tonight? Or have to wait on the US to know matchups?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Happy with Jones and Gushue going to the Olympics. Gushue is the Canada curling darling. Jones has the shot to cement best of all time status.

And yeah that's a poo poo move on botchers part to say moulding was stepping away for personal reasons when really they cut him. Maybe if muskowy is still out for Saskatchewan moulding can slide into that team for the Brier and get some revenge

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
The crowd was nice and rowdy for the bottcher v moulding game, with moulding getting the support.

The Dunstone Koe game was amazing. Really want to see Dunstone break through.

Also I hadn't realized but apparently only gushue koe and bottcher have even been in the brier final for the last 6 years. With gushue and koe winning the last 2 roar of the rings those guys have been dominant in Canadian curling

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone won a brier with only 3 players? Going through the whole playoffs with only 3 is pretty amazing

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Jones team split up and Jones is taking over team Zacharias. First big shakeup so far. Wonder if Lawes will start her own team or try to find an experienced skip to join. Chelsea Carey hasn't had a team the last year or two and team Fleury is splitting up.

It seems like pretty much every men's team is splitting up. There will be lots of free agents and new teams

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Rough start for Lawes. They have to beat one of einarson or mccarville now

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

I get that Curling Canada wants to follow the WCF lead with regard to ties, but I will miss the bonus curling that we used to get with the tie breaker games. I miss them in baseball too.

Also, it speaks volumes that the teams leading the LSD scores (and by a very healthy margin) are Jones and Lawes, both of whom were burnt so significantly by that tiebreaking rule at the last Olympics.

Apparently Lawes could still qualify for the playoffs if everyone ends up at 4 and 4. And it's because she did so well in the LSD

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

But really, her play calling looked a bit timid in the limited bits we got to see in the later parts of the week, though certainly more aggressive yesterday when it was all on the line.

Not sure if anyone caught that last draw, but the prolonged lingering on the conclusion of the Galusha/Jones game was great. I especially liked when Kerry told Jennifer "Don't play like that tomorrow."

Lawes beat my cousins team in the Manitoba finals, so she has to do well enough in the Scotties to justify beating family

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Rooting for Dunstone this year. Koe would be a good story but I don't think he has it. A home win is always fun, and McEwen has been on the edge for so long.

Anyone but Bottcher really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah this and the Moulding thing makes it seem like he's not easy to get along with