Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Oh poo poo how did I miss this thread?!

I'm curling in two leagues this year. Men's league is a new team so after a bit of a slow start it looks like we'll be moving up to the top tier in a few weeks. Mixed is more of a fun league but there's another team that's got a member of the Senior National Australian Men's team (they're all Canadians with dual citizenship!) so there's a lot of variance in skill levels.

The five rock rule doesn't change anything if you're down and don't have hammer. It really comes into play when you're down with hammer. You get to throw three rocks before your opponent can take out any guards so you've got options depending on how far down you are, how swingy your ice is, and the skill of your team. One option if you need a few points is to throw two high corner guards and a tight corner guard that you can raise in later. Depending on what your opponent does you can then either start hitting and rolling behind the guards or draw behind them. Another less risky option is to throw the high corner guard and then draw behind the guard. If your opponent freezes onto your draw you can throw back 8 weight and jiggle them around, if your opponent misses the freeze you can throw a tight guard.

If your team is up it changes the strategy too. You might have thrown the lead's rocks through the house before but now you have to be a little more careful. I've seen some of the top teams throw one top button and then another top 12 which means the opponent will have to make a double and a nice roll at some point.

From a more strategic point of view, it means that you have a decent chance to take 3 if you have hammer. Some of the top teams in the Grand Slam would rather be down 3 with hammer than down 1 without.

Canada Cup is pretty good so far. I don't quite get the time rules yet. Do you get 1 full time out, 1 short time out, and the time is per end? I saw that Bottcher went over the time limit and couldn't throw his last rock which I've never seen before. Bottcher is really great although John Epping would be a close second. Team Homan looks a bit off this year, not as bad as at the Olympics but there's something missing there. Einarsson's got to be a little disappointed with the year so far but it is a lot of role changes for the players and I wouldn't write them off yet. Jennifer Jones is some sort of timeless curling god.

And Ryan Fry getting drunk as poo poo and kicked out of a bonspiel confirms every suspicion I've had about that team and I hate them all. :colbert:

Also this was in the last thread but it's really good and you should watch it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I guess I was basing my assessment of Einarson on the televised events and you're right that they are doing really well at some of the smaller events. Shouldn't be long until they start doing well at the big events. That semi-final loss to Fleury at the last Grand Slam event must have stung a bit though since Fleury is basically all of Einarson's old team!

What are the bonspiel prizes like where you're at? Growing up in Saskatchewan the prizes were really awesome. We won a fishing trip for winning like the H or I event at a big bonspiel way back in the day, won a bunch of gift certificates at Folk's Curling, and I still have a pile of casserole dishes and other miscellaneous house stuff from finishing third in the B event at bonspiels in towns that had one sheet of ice and the bonspiel took a whole week. Now in BC they're pretty much all cash prizes and you have to be top 5 or 6 to make back your entrance fee. I guess I won a growler with some refills in our leagues playoffs last year which is cool.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Went to a bonspiel this weekend and got destroyed by a team skipped by an 82 year old. He then proceeded to outdrink us afterwards.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I PVRed the Bottcher / Koe game and watched it instead of the Super Bowl. I don't regret it.

Skins is just so different from regular curling and definitely worth watching. All the teams are going full offence all the time and it leads to some crazy shots. Even though Carruthers didn't win a single skin in the game you mentioned it still felt like a fun game.

I think Darren Moulding might be my spirit animal. Going up into the stands and grabbing a bag of chips to watch Koe throw his last shot was amazing.

Team Einarsson is cool and all but she seems to have some rough times playing her old team. Losing both the Manitoba Scotties and the skins game to Fleury must be a little embarrassing.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Tournament of Hearts starts tomorrow! Hell yeah! Well the wildcard game at least...

Teams this year:
Pool 1
Ontario - Rachel Homan
Manitoba - Tracy Fleury
Alberta - Chelsea Carey
BC - Sarah Wark
Northern Ontario - Krista McCarville
Nova Scotia - Jill Brothers
Quebec - Gabrielle Lavoie
Nunavut - Jenine Bodner

Pool 2
Canada - Jennifer Jones
Wild Card - Einarson or Scheidegger
Saskatchewan - Robyn Silvernagle
Prince Edward Island - Suzanne Birt
Northwest Territories - Kerry Galusha
New Brunswick - Andrea Crawford
Yukon - Nicole Baldwin
Newfoundland & Labrador - Kelli Sharpe

Pool A looks quite a bit more difficult to my eye. Homan, Fleury, and Carey could all conceivably make the final and McCarville and Wark won't be pushovers. Pool B just has Jones and the wild card as credible finalists although I think Silvernagle could be a dark horse contender. She's got Stefanie Lawton as third and could do some real damage. Full disclosure: I curled against her in a junior league way back in the day and she routinely kicked the poo poo out of us so I may be projecting...

Either way, I've got a bonspiel this weekend so I'm going to curl, drink, watch curling, and drink some more! Going to be some good times.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Congratulations to Nunavut on their first ever Scotties' win!

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

The whole team is curling pretty badly. Jones could easily be 0-4.

Northwest Territories are playing messy as hell games. It's awesome to get the update and see like 13 guards. They're also winning a pile of games and will almost definitely get into the championship pool and have a good chance of making the playoffs. Cool to see.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Keep in mind that your record in the first round robin gets carried over to the second. If NWT stays at one loss in the weak pool they could be a game up on everybody else in the next pool. I don't expect Galusha to be hoisting the trophy or anything but it's cool to see them do well and I hope they get some televised games because they would be fun to watch.

Also those dumb commercials with Vic and the guy who doesn't know anything about curling make me laugh every time.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Would have liked to see Saskatchewan in the final but it should be a good one either way.

Apparently at your first Scotties you get a necklace and then at your second one you get a diamond to put in it. I don't know if that keeps going, but Kerry Galusha might have the glitziest piece of jewelry in NWT.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

This is a very boring game that Rachel Homan is going to win.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Going to extra ends! Way more exciting game now.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I really thought Homan would play the double instead of the draw. Especially when she had just missed a similar draw the end before.

Kudos to Carey for not giving up. Played a close to perfect game from the fifth end on.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Brier time!

Pool A:
Alberta - Kevin Koe
Canada - Brad Gushue
Ontario - Scott McDonald
Nova Scotia - Stuart Thompson
BC - Jim Cotter
New Brunswick - Terry Odishaw
NWT - Jamie Koe
Nunavut - Dave St. Louis

Pool B
Northern Ontario - Brad Jacobs
:siren:WILD CARD:siren: - winner of Bottcher/Epping
Manitoba - Mike McEwen
Saskatchewan - Kirk Muyres
Quebec - Martin Crête
NL - Andrew Symonds
PEI - John Likely
Yukon - Jon Solberg

Hopefully they manage to keep Ryan Fry and Jamie Koe away from the Brier Patch.

Bottcher and Epping are both good and fun to watch so it's a bit of a shame they won't both be in it. I'll be cheering for whoever wins that game. Wouldn't mind if Gushue wins again because he's just such a happy looking guy. I hope Kevin Koe loses even though Ben Hebert is a national treasure.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

McEwen was skipping at the Manitoba finals. Probably a good call.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Welcome to the sport friend! We may be able to put a Something Awful curling team together.

Bottcher looked real good tonight. They were making everything out there.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

That... is beautiful! Brendan and Darren are a weird combo but it works so well.

I really hope Jacobs doesn't win the whole thing. They look pretty unstoppable so far.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

^In their official picture they have a patch for "KB" on the left chest. I googled it and it's a sponsorship from one of the big banks in South Korea. I would guess that the title sponsor of the event "LGT: Liechtenstein Global Trust" (also a bank) wouldn't allow other banking sponsorships there but they only figured it out a few days before the event and didn't have time to get new gear?

Latvia's lead is 15 years old and has been curling for 7 years. That's cool.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmbmGtDhmI

There's already an NFL all star curling team, why not an NHL one?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I'm only halfway through the Finland game but Canada looks really bad so far this tournament. They'll probably win this game but being 3-2 and still having to play Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, Scotland, the US, and China is really bad.

Maybe it's just the braid, but Finland's skip looks a lot like Elsa from Frozen. Haven't heard her break into song yet...

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Can't wait to get home from work and watch Carey get wrecked.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Really nice of Chelsea Carey to let some of the other countries into the playoffs. First time since 1999 that Canada hasn't made the playoffs.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

So I was out on an island without internet or TV this weekend and I'm just sitting down to watch the playoffs. Did Vic, Russ, and Cheryl clear out as soon as Canada was eliminated? Because they're just using the world commentators and it's not quite the same.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Besides BJ Neufeld (who's amazing) Koe looks only okay so far. Fortunately for him, the only team that looks really good is Sweden. The Swiss and Americans are looking a bit off their game, Japan is beatable, and the Scots are having a tough week.

The Dutch have looked really improved since last year. The shot to beat Scotland was insane and I just really like their style of game.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Oh man you weren't kidding about that shot. Amazing!

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Sweden is just so good. Sooooo good.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Anyways, my season actually started last week. It's my first year playing in an actual league, I started with a beginner/tutorial league last year. The team is full of relative newbies including a girl who had literally never thrown a stone before, but we did pretty well and actually won something like 9-4. Getting back to it tonight for game 2!

Here's a picture I took, this thread needs more pictures.

It looks like the sheet isn't wide enough. Like a rock could be on the tee line, touching the rings, and in the next sheet simultaneously. Could be perspective I guess!

And beginning curlers can be really good! My mixed team is roughly in the middle of our league and last year we were two points off of beating the best team and we needed my last rock to barely beat the team who hadn't won a game all year.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Someone want to aggregate the curling tourney dates and I will update the op?

National/International
World men's is March 28 to April 5 in Glasgow.
World women's is March 14-22 in Prince George BC.
World mixed doubles is April 18-25 in Kelowna BC.
Brier is February 29 to March 8 in Kingston ON.
Scotties is February 15-23 in Moose Jaw SK.
US men's and women's is February 8-15 in Spokane.

Grand Slam of Curling:
October 22-27 in North Bay ON
November 5-10 in Pictou NS
December 10-15 in Conception Bay NL
January 14-19 in Yorkton SK
April 7-12 in Toronto ON
April 29 - May 3 in Olds AB

I'm on vacation with just the phone right now or I'd add some links and pictures and stuff.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Watching live curling is great. You can usually get a day pass (3 games) for fairly cheap during the week. I think it was $60 for World Men's in Victoria a few years back. Might be more in the Prairies and less everywhere else. Also went to a Grand Slam a few years ago and sat in the bar area at the end of the sheets which was awesome. My buddy said "Nice shot!" and Brad Gushue turned around and said "Hell yeah it was!". Crazy to see some of those shots close up.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I don't think the Chinese teams usually play in the Grand Slam. Plus they haven't been great the past few years so they might not have been invited/qualified.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Oh right. Liu Rui played a few on the men's side too. Highest Chinese team is 29th on the WCT money list right now so they must be playing in the Asian bonspiels.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Taking 5 and then stealing 3? Didn't know Kevin Koe had an account here. Congratulations on the first skipping win!

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I've found the best thing is to have a consistent slide. It doesn't have to pretty but as long as you come out of the hack the same way every time that's going to go a long way to getting your weight down.

It's also a good idea to communicate a lot with your teammates about the ice and how fast it is and even how it feels. On ice like Inspector's (I can't imagine curling on ice like that... kudos) that can be pretty broad. Could just say "ice felt slower than normal on the slide but it went further than I thought". A more experienced team could have the thrower say that slide felt quicker than normal, the sweepers might say the rock moved well but then slowed down a lot after the hogline, and the skip might know that there have been a lot of rocks down that path so it's pretty consistent but might slow down if the game goes to eight ends.

Stopwatches can kind of be useful if you curl with a few different teams or at more than one rink, but I would usually advise against them for everybody else.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Can you even see the rings from the other end? drat...

This is where I curl:

I actually fell while sliding on an open takeout tonight. I turned away in disgust but my third kept an eye on it and I somehow managed to tick one of our guards into the rings for shot rock behind a ton of cover. It was the luckiest curling shot I've ever made. We were also up by 3 in the last end with last rock and just barely managed to win so practice your peels everybody!

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Those plaid shirts for Team Canada are really good. And the nicknames on the back are amazing. Continental Cup is real good.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Just curled against a team from Sacramento that came up to Canada for a bonspiel. We lost but it was a close game, they were real fun to play against, and it was cool to hear about some of the politics going on in US curling. Got some awesome pins and an invitation to their bonspiel next year!

Also, Brazil got a curling club! https://www.facebook.com/BrazilianCurlingClub/ Several years ago, some Brazilian students at a Canadian university started a curling team and have played against either the US or Canada (when the US hosted) for the second western hemisphere slot at Worlds. Now that they have their own club, I fully expect to see them at Worlds in the near future...

Way behind on the Scotties due to the bonspiel, but go Saskatchewan I guess?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This is very cool. I had to pass up the opportunity to play in a big bonspiel because it happens to be a weekend I already have baseball tickets. Also, how does the whole pin thing work? I guess more I mean, at what point is a bonspiel big enough that exchanging pins is expected etiquette?

I wish I knew the answer to this question! We were just coming from across town so we didn't even think about it. We bought them a pitcher of beer instead.

Still behind on the Scotties but New Brunswick getting a 7 ender on Manitoba is one of the wildest curling things I've ever seen. I wish that was the feature game so that I could see the buildup.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Is it bad I want the wild card to lose only because Jones' kid got me and the wife sick? (We were spectating in Canmore at the mixed doubles tournament and her kid was sick and running around the club.)

Is been nice to watch the Scotties as I rehab my shoulder, since I'm out for the rest of the season.

Haha that's hilarious. And you got your wish.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I feel really bad for Bottcher but that final was not great. Pretty wild Brier though. Jacobs starts off 1-3 and goes on an absolute roll until he meets Gushue. Four way tiebreaker after the championship pool. Russ and Cheryl thought there were more great shots than any other Brier and unlike most sports commentary I don't think they were being hyperbolic at all. World's are going to be pretty good!

Curling season is winding down here. Last bonspiel starts Thursday and it should be a good time!

I heard about a bonspiel in Seattle that goes around the clock. Like you could get a 4 AM draw. Sounds awesome, goon meet?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

World women's curling in Prince George has been cancelled/postponed due to covid19. I imagine men's won't be far behind.

Not surprising as there are teams from three of the worst hit countries (China, South Korea, Italy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Even my bonspiel just got cancelled due to Covid19! Nooooooo that means no more curling for the year. I get it though, apparently a third of teams had cancelled already.