Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

My club is finally having a Saturday league after years of playing on Sundays and mostly tolerating it. (And then only 6 teams signed up, so it's probably going to be a lovely league, but whatever, I'm one of the coordinators, so I'll figure out something to make it cool.)

And in the club's top league, my team finished 3rd last year, so we were exempt from peer seeding and whatnot and should be able to make a run at the championship this year. (Technically, I guess we made a run at it last year, what with finishing in the playoffs for it.)

Ice is in, but I haven't been to the club yet. First league match for me is on October 10th, so I have some time. I did get some new shoes (moving up to 1/4" slider!), though, and new hardline covers for my broom. (I keep scratching them up, somehow.) Kind of excited for a new season, but not as much so as in past years. I think I've just been too busy this offseason to be desperate about it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

My team started out the season playing like rear end, but we had one really good game last week. We still got relegated in our league, but we'll be back in the top division if we play like we have recently.

I'm definitely starting to get some touch on my delivery with the new slider/more reps/just paying better attention to what I'm doing. (Which is good, because my club is better at icemaking, so I'm pretty consistently too heavy now.)

And who's excited about a National 5-and-Under?! (I would be very excited, but I'm a 9th year. I was on the team that won the B at the Dykes in 2014, so if this had been implemented earlier, I guess we'd have been allowed to apply.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Chicken posted:

Welcome to the sport friend! We may be able to put a Something Awful curling team together.

I thought about this this a few years ago for the 5-and-unders, but most of the curling goons already have teams. If it's for an event that isn't super far, I'd likely be up for it.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This is very cool. I had to pass up the opportunity to play in a big bonspiel because it happens to be a weekend I already have baseball tickets. Also, how does the whole pin thing work? I guess more I mean, at what point is a bonspiel big enough that exchanging pins is expected etiquette?

It depends. Here on the east coast of the US, it doesn't really depend on the size of the event, just who's there. (If I'm traveling to another club, I'll make sure to have some pins from my club with me. Inevitably, everyone I play against already has one, though, and/or I already have theirs.) When I went to Canada for a bonspiel (Lefthanders World Championship), people told me the pin thing wasn't as big of a deal there. There was some pin trading, but they weren't specific club pins or anything; someone gave me a previous year's pin from that event and a Las Vegas Posse pin (CFL team that was only around for one season).

In my experience, though, you generally just swap club pins with your opponents each game. If you go to things like 5-and-unders where the other people aren't as likely to have traveled a bunch, you might get a handful of new ones. I'd also say it's never really expected. When my skip or I mention it, the response is usually "Yeah, we have Potomac pins already, geez." or "Oh... uh, I think we might have some around here somewhere." (If I have a pin from their club but they don't have mine; I'll just give them mine. Our pins are $3.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

City of Ottawa Mens is still on (for now), but as my team was coming in from the DC area, we're dropping out. Was really looking forward to this for months.

EDIT: And now it's officially cancelled. I guess at least I'm not missing out, now.

CellBlock fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 13, 2020