Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Currently I'm sitting a 35k feet poo poo posting on the internet on day 2 of the journey to pick up Hyrulehookers newish Focus RS. More info will fill the blanks in this post. poo poo talk ask questions and read about my suffering as I give updates every time I stop for gas....if i remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm interested! What route are you taking back to Alaska? Any of the gravel highways?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What's Tinder like in Alaska?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I've heard people opine that "the odds are good, but the goods are odd".

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Ground floor

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Do you have enough canned beans and beef jerky?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

The plan is to fly to Georgia to buy a Focus RS for my wife. She recently sold her FiST wanted something bigger and I had leave to burn.

We spent the past couple of weeks checking out shipping quotes most of wich were for 3 to 4k. I have 80 day of leave on the books and a passport so I said gently caress it I'll drive it up.

The plan is to rent camp along the way to keep the cost down. Haven't done a road trip this long in a couple of years so should be interesting.

Day one summary: got off of a 24 hour duty day and had to drive home through the hell that is Ketchikan Ak during tourist season. It's late in the year the crosswalk guys are done with this poo poo and its looks like it's a bunch of primaraly southeast Asians in today....FML they are generally the worst group of tourists about walking out into the street next to the guys from India. (Tourism stereotype but after 10+ years of dealing with it every summer I've seen it over and over. The best are generally the Russians. Third worst are boomers....they are also generally the rudest about it.)

Sure enjoy have to swerve to miss a lady stepping out from behind a ford panel van to take a picture of our drat rainfall gauge. Heartrate going a million miles an hour. Crossing guard yells at lady and for a brief moment all is right in the world as the sudden realization that this isnt Disneyland clicks.

Made it home with no further incident hop in the shower then start packing. Tossed in some camping gear and clothes in the big suitcase. A change of clothes and airport gear in the 24 hour bag and take the dog for a walk. Play a mission or two in the new battletech game while waiting for Hooker to get off work.

Hooker gets home we head off to grab the kids from school. Daughter asked if we are going to put a horn on the car since mommy says it's her unicorn. Brother responds then we can scare the tourists....I love my kids.

Get dropped off at the airport and new TSA dude flips poo poo over my bag cause he thinks my flashlight was a pipe bomb(reasonable its USB rechargeable and has the cord hanging out of it). Supervisor tells them they are being dumb and the poo poo they are seeing is my flashlight not a pipe bomb. Supervisor is one of my car buddies and has seen the light before and recognized the image from the machine, thank god.

Land in Seattle last night head off to the USO to crash.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm interested! What route are you taking back to Alaska? Any of the gravel highways?

Headed from The Atlanta area to Jefferson City MO going to crash at the inlaw. Figure it's the polite thing to do since we stopped flying to visit because they never bothered to fly up to see us. Then from there headed to Riverdale UT to crash at my parents place then up to Prince Rupert Canada to catch the ferry back to Ketchikan.

So Google maps I guess. Hooker is going to be playing eyes in the sky with weather updates and let me know if I need to grab a set of winters when I stop in UT.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Do you have enough canned beans and beef jerky?

Nah grabbing a cooler and ice and a tent and propane bottles while down here. Price gouging is ridiculous on the island. Filling the cooler with food and going to cook over the propane burner I packed when I stop.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's Tinder like in Alaska?

Don't know been married 15 years. But I'd guess once tourists season is over....probably pretty weird.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd offer the acreage if you guys wanted to camp on the way back. In Grande Prairie. But it sounds like you're staying in BC instead of taking the Alberta route.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Day two so far: Wake up its 3am , all the other guys who have been around have left. FML I'm the old dude at the USO there's a bunch of kids running around and I've probably been in around as long as they have been alive. Dumb fucks were talking about taking there enlistment bonuses and buy cars....not even good ones. Some loving tricareatops gets pissy about my GiP useless dirt tshirt. gently caress her the shirts awesome. Thanks McNally.

Vietnam bitter vet with no legs and wearing a kick rear end fuzzy hat sitting behind the counter tells her to shut it or leave. Also think shirts awsome. Has good service doggy. I got to pet the pupper:3:

Head through security again no problem to be had.....realize there are no coffee shops open....gently caress.

Pull out Nintendo switch try to play zelda realize that right thumb stick isn't working right. Try to calibrate it. Its broke....supremely pissed at kids right now. gently caress it tetris works.

5am coffee.

6am on plane. Free upgrade to business class. Thank you US government for flying me all over the place doing gauge calibration. Air miles rock.
Find out drinks are free in business class. :dance:

Old people are sit next to me and I braced myself for grandkid photos and complaints of the younger generation. Not a word. Plane takes off couple orders drinks as fast as stewardesses can bring them. Then pass out. I decide gently caress it I'm bored and create a thread. Currently somewhere over Nebraska listening to old drunks snore.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

jonathan posted:

I'd offer the acreage if you guys wanted to camp on the way back. In Grande Prairie. But it sounds like you're staying in BC instead of taking the Alberta route.

I belive that's the plan. I've got seven days not counting today and the day the ferry leaves to make it...we will see how it goes.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I did the trip from Vancouver to Prince George then over through the Yukon and up to Fairbanks back in 2003. If I did that trip again I'd take the ferry.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

The difference between driving cross country budget 500 for gas and taking the ferry from Bellingham at 1200 and driving up through Canada extra 200 in gas and only 200 for the ferry makes sense in my head at least. Will see how the back handles it. Also I had to use the leave or lose it.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Also, anyone have any good audio book recommendations? I have a couple of the dune books and the memory sorrow and thorn trilogy.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Can confirm the useless dirt shirt is cool and good. :mcnally:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Mission to zyxx is a good podcast.

Audiobook wise, you could do worse than Heinlein or David Brin.

Edit: I don't know if they're out in audiobook yet but The Broken Earth trilogy is fantastic.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 20, 2018

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Melthir posted:

Also, anyone have any good audio book recommendations? I have a couple of the dune books and the memory sorrow and thorn trilogy.

Get in the Van : On the road with black flag is a good audiobook. If you like a diary of a kid getting his rear end kicked by cops, skinheads, rednecks, jocks, police dogs etc every night while on tour.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Whats this shirt? Anyone got a pic?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

Whats this shirt? Anyone got a pic?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854490

The thread is worth reading for the wonderful prank McNally managed to pull off in the process. I was proud to be a part of that.

The fun starts on page 10

:mcnally:

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Have the car. Way more options then were listed...like every loving box checked, already has a cquartz coating on it. Rich dude bought it for his kid. Kid didn't like it cause he got made fun off for driving a hatch. Dad traded it in for AMG CLA 45, kid wrapped that around a tree and is now driving a new STI. Dad works for the Falcons. Some loving people. Head gasket was replaced already. Stopped off at a steak n shake. Then I start the drive. loving been a good day. Wife gets her unicorn car. I learned car pro had a new product...now if I can just make it across America without dieing or getting a ticket.

Terrible Robot posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854490

The thread is worth reading for the wonderful prank McNally managed to pull off in the process. I was proud to be a part of that.

The fun starts on page 10

:mcnally:

Great read. Was hoping for a prank shirt.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Melthir posted:

Great read. Was hoping for a prank shirt.

Good News!

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
This sounds awesome but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around driving a Focus RS in Ketchican. I know things have probably changed a bit in the decade since I was last there but the only vehicle my mind can envision is a mid 80's forerunner with collapsed suspension and one working brake.

edit:
Here we go, this is the Ketchican I remember!

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 21, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Melthir posted:

Currently I'm sitting a 35k feet poo poo posting on the internet on day 2 of the journey to pick up Hyrulehookers newish Focus RS. More info will fill the blanks in this post. poo poo talk ask questions and read about my suffering as I give updates every time I stop for gas....if i remember.

What part of Georgia? Stay a while and listen.....

...to my lifters tick...

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Bibendum posted:

This sounds awesome but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around driving a Focus RS in Ketchican. I know things have probably changed a bit in the decade since I was last there but the only vehicle my mind can envision is a mid 80's forerunner with collapsed suspension and one working brake.

edit:
Here we go, this is the Ketchican I remember!

Still like that. There is also surprisingly enough a decent car scene.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Stopped at about 8 at a rest stop in Tennessee. Have not yet been murdered by the creepy guy in the car next to me. Folded down the back seats and racked out. Woke up at 1:55. gently caress it might as well start driving again.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Still not dead. At a rest stop in Metropolis Kentucky. Construction going on. Those guys look miserably sleepy.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Stay safe, Bandit.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Not dead. In Riverdale Ut at parants. Drove till I got tired went to rest stop laid the seat down and pop some pills for my back and slept. Woke up when the wore off drove till back couldn't take it. Rinse and repeat. The Focus RS is not the best road trip car for knuckle draggers. However it held 70-100mph the whole time no trouble up hill down hill any hill no problem. Definitely made the trip fun. Just not comfortable.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Did you take some kind of good luck totem with you from the ATL? Like a hot dog from The Varsity? Maybe a rug sample from Dalton?

Driving through Utah is enough to make me suicidal. How are you going to tolerate BC and the Yukon other than abject fear ?

I'm currently reading Indianapolis: The True Story Of The Worst Sea Disaster In US Naval History... It's loving long and interesting. See if you can find an audio copy of it. Another incredibly long one is The Making Of The Atomic Bomb, by Richard Rhodes. Unless they got Ben Stein to read the audio version, it should keep you company.

Goonspeed, Sir. Hope your selfless efforts get properly recognized by the wife.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Taking a day to chill with the folks and get some shut eye. Ut isn't so bad as once your away from the valley 100mph+ speed is pretty easy to do and I'm staying out of the hillbilly/polygamist southern Utah areas.

Once your out of the big money areas your golden. I also don't mind night driving wich has probably been the only reason I haven't got a ticket yet. Not doing that in Canada. I've seen what Bullwinkle can do to a car. Almost done with Dune, Atom bomb poo poo sounds pretty cool.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I just started reading Making of The Atomic Bomb the other day. It's real good.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
It’s SUPER long, too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

I'm currently reading Indianapolis: The True Story Of The Worst Sea Disaster In US Naval History... It's loving long and interesting. See if you can find an audio copy of it. Another incredibly long one is The Making Of The Atomic Bomb, by Richard Rhodes. Unless they got Ben Stein to read the audio version, it should keep you company.

Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered both. I'm currently reading "Skunk Works" which is about Lockheed's Advanced Development Programs and the development of the stealth fighter.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered both. I'm currently reading "Skunk Works" which is about Lockheed's Advanced Development Programs and the development of the stealth fighter.

Skunk Works was in the running for my next book to read but got beaten out by Making of. Also in the running was The Fleet At Flood Tide by James Hornfischer, who is an exceptional history author for the WWII Pacific theater. Highly recommend his books, specifically Last Stand of The Tin-Can Sailors.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Podcast: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Each episode is about 4 hours, and very detailed. Check out "profit of doom". It's from a few episodes ago (I think he does 2 episodes per year).

It's pretty cool and/or metal.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In BC and north, it's not the moose to worry about, it's the deer. Well, also the moose, black bears, police, truckers sleeping while driving.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

In Boise, ID getting gas. There was some kind of car meet going on in Ogden yesterday. Easily $200,000,000 worth of performance cars driving around. Anyone know what was going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I'm now deep into the mountains of Oregon and I have come to a startling conclusion. Each rest area bathroom smells much worse than the one before almost like its intentional. That a it's as if everyone who owns a trailer and a vehicle with wich to tow it is on the road. It dosen't matter if the vehicle is large enough to actually tow the trailer or not there givin it a shot.

I'd forgotten how beautiful these mountains are.

• Locked thread