Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
amazon just announced a load of wonderful new products you can get a new echo dot that looks like a google mini and you can buy more echos and have them do stereo sound with a new echo subwoofer and there's a new echo show and a camera and there's now an echo you can plug into your car and an alexa microwave and there's now an alexa plug and a tiny echo with no speakers just to plug into your normal speaker and there's a hifi amp/bridge thing theyve been really busy

whats the point in smartplugs though? what do people do with them? idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they made a tv box that doesn't have hdmi out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

please let the wealthiest man in the world install a persistent surveillance device in every room of your house

you can yell at it to find out how many ounces there are in a gallon and to play one of the 4 spotify amazon prime music playlists you listen to

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 20, 2018

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

wow how about all these lovely new threads

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

qirex posted:

please let the wealthiest man in the world install a persistent surveillance device in every room of your house

is that better or worse than the one you carry with you everywhere you go ?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pissflaps posted:

it's like The Clapper™ but with Internet Access

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

quote:

Sign up to automatically reorder popcorn, so you’re always ready for movie night. Choose from select popcorn brands in the Alexa app. When you make popcorn using your voice or the Popcorn button, AmazonBasics Microwave will reorder when you run low.

lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

you can yell at it to find out how many ounces there are in a gallon and to play one of the 4 spotify amazon prime music playlists songs it has available

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pissflaps posted:

is that better or worse than the one you carry with you everywhere you go ?

my phone has never accidentally emailed a private conversation in my home to a random person in my contacts so I trust it a bit more

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

qirex posted:

my phone has never accidentally emailed a private conversation in my home to a random person in my contacts so I trust it a bit more

you trust your phone more because you don’t know who it sends your private conversations to? that’s hosed up.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i want to die

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qirex posted:

you can yell at it to find out how many ounces there are in a gallon and to play one of the 4 spotify amazon prime music playlists you listen to

oh yeah and you gotta pay him for it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Pissflaps posted:

amazon just announced a load of wonderful new products you can get a new echo dot that looks like a google mini and you can buy more echos and have them do stereo sound with a new echo subwoofer and there's a new echo show and a camera and there's now an echo you can plug into your car and an alexa microwave and there's now an alexa plug and a tiny echo with no speakers just to plug into your normal speaker and there's a hifi amp/bridge thing theyve been really busy

remember sheeverplug or whatever? lol

I do not understand the trend of smart speakers and hanging them together instead of just using a drat stereo but hey, i guess the future is here and everything will just get more confusing

I suppose if it just works, like, it’s less effort than setting up a stereo. but also I’m an incredibly basic bitch and just have a Sony sound bar that I plug my phonograph into

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i still don't understand the point of any 'smart-' thing

it's all cheap garbage that sells ads wtf would anyone want any of this

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

I do not understand the trend of smart speakers and hanging them together instead of just using a drat stereo but hey, i guess the future is here and everything will just get more confusing

remotes suck rear end in ways smartphones don't, dicking with physical media is really obnoxious, and shouting out the name of a song or album is usually fine

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

don't forget they introduced a "subwoofer" with a driver the size of an average bookshelf speaker so you can listen to your streamed audio in a stereo pair of 3" paper drivers and a mighty nine pound sub

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cocoa Crispies posted:

remotes suck rear end in ways smartphones don't, dicking with physical media is really obnoxious, and shouting out the name of a song or album is usually fine

jesus christ source your quotes

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

cursed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have eleven different mixes of "move any mountain" by the shamen, how am I supposed to specify which one I feel like hearing

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

qirex posted:

I have eleven different mixes of "move any mountain" by the shamen, how am I supposed to specify which one I feel like hearing

foobar2000

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
alexa please get on deez nuts

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

hifi posted:

they made a tv box that doesn't have hdmi out

huge news, if true

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PyPy posted:

huge news, if true

i think it streams video to a firetv

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the amazon products look cheap. ill wait for the apple microwave thank you very much

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i still don't understand the point of any 'smart-' thing

it's all cheap garbage that sells ads wtf would anyone want any of this

smart lights are good because you can use them when you're too sick to get out of bed and they turn off at night when it's bedtime and turn on in the morning when it's time to get up

alao they don't require an internet connection to work

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pissflaps posted:

Christmas tree lights.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

angry_keebler posted:

smart lights are good because you can use them when you're too sick to get out of bed and they turn off at night when it's bedtime and turn on in the morning when it's time to get up

alao they don't require an internet connection to work

also they periodically turn off for 10 mins to install a software update

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Christmas tree lights.

I’ve got a little rf remote control that does this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pissflaps posted:

I’ve got a little rf remote control that does this

ok, but now imagine taking that remote, and putting it in the cloud

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
somebody owned my telephone and now my lights are flashing off and on to a catchy disco beat

mystes
May 31, 2006

My coworker wants the microwave for some reason. I can sort of see the point of a smart coffee maker where you set it up the night before and just tell your AI overlord to make coffee in the morning when you wake up, but for a microwave once you go over to the microwave, put the food it, and figure out how much time you need to microwave it for, isn't it easier to just push the buttons rather than dictating it to Alexa?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mystes posted:

My coworker wants the microwave for some reason.

your c/w is a raging idiot, probably a bazinga too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mystes posted:

My coworker wants the microwave for some reason. I can sort of see the point of a smart coffee maker where you set it up the night before and just tell your AI overlord to make coffee in the morning when you wake up, but for a microwave once you go over to the microwave, put the food it, and figure out how much time you need to microwave it for, isn't it easier to just push the buttons rather than dictating it to Alexa?

you shouldn't be leaving ground coffee out overnight, it's really only good to brew within a few minutes of grinding

pram
Jun 10, 2001
theyre all bad op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I use a coffee maker with a built in timer

it is fine

it does not go berserk and mine bitcoin for my lightbulbs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you shouldn't be leaving ground coffee out overnight, it's really only good to brew within a few minutes of grinding

....grinding?

dude it comes that way

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

....grinding?

dude it comes that way

:rolleyes: i bet you dont even churn your own butter

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I bet you've never saved old coffee to make the new coffee extra coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“hey amazon siri, order me pre-owned coffee, prime

• Locked thread