Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As much as I always wanted this to get animated I'm terrified that like other series known for their cuh-razy art (Berserk, Blame!, etc) this will be given the horrid CG treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Blame! was relatively ok. I'd be heartbroken if it turned out as ugly as Berserk though

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The art style really wont really lend itself easily to a CG series. It isn't a 'clean' series. Backgrounds are usually decrepit, seedy and intricate. It's more in the line of Masamune Shirow or Otomo's Akira.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, yeah, surely it's going to be disappointing in that regard. Like Blade of the Immortal anime was (most fans have erased it from their memories with good reason).
i remember it because the OP animation and song owned

rest of the show was trash

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If whomever doesn't blow the whole budget on voice actors or lovely pop music (*cough* SEED), then they should be able to do alright, if they're good.

Get Kinema Citrus (Made in Abyss) to work on Dorohedoro and we're golden.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 9, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Turin Turambar posted:

The art style really wont really lend itself easily to a CG series. It isn't a 'clean' series. Backgrounds are usually decrepit, seedy and intricate. It's more in the line of Masamune Shirow or Otomo's Akira.

That's kinda my point. Both Berserk and Blame are known for their absurdly intricate art and look how they ended up.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I tried to think of what the cheapest animation possible would be, came up with wiggling board standees with stock CG effects everywhere like Inferno Cop, and uh

hm.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I was going to jokingly suggest live action footage filmed on an ancient camcorder with props and costumes made from literal trash but then i realized that could actually nail the aesthetic much better than most anime studios.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I re-started reading the manga from the beginning now that the last chapter is out... I forget how, between the bouts of absolutely horror-filled gore and the uneasy feel the artstyle gives you, the manga can be really, really funny.

(After maiming, ripping her face off and almost killing Ebisu in Ch. 3, on the way back from developing a film stock)
  • Kaiman: :doh: "gently caress, I forgot to ask her my question!"
  • Nikaido: :) "Hey, maybe we should give those pictures a look?"
  • Both: :geno:
  • Nikaido: :shobon: "Whoa, your teeth have some bad rotting going on!"
  • Kaiman: :negative:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 11

We come back again to Dorohedoro! It's a packed volume, I would say.

In En's mansion:
-Fujita comes back with Ebisu's body so Kikurage (En's dog with resurrection powers, let's remember) can revive her. A comic scene where he pursuits the dog with Ebisu's corpse flying around ensues.
-In the process, a charm of happiness is stuck inside Ebisu's head, we can guess it will have consequences in her personality. She is now a laughing maniac. lol
-Shin presents to En Kaiman's head as proof he is dead, but he himself doesn't seem to be convinced. I guess he remembers their first fight when he also cut his head, he knows that isn't real proof of the deed, and in reality they have the lizard head but Kaiman recovered his human aspect.
-Noi treats Nikaido wounds, but the devil's contract wound is rotting and nullifying the magic. She will die.
-They discover Kaiman's head actually returned to human, so they tie that to the fact Ebisu died, and reach a conclusion: Ebisu really was the one who hexed him with a lizard aspect.

Risu / CEG:
-Risu's 'curse' self/shadow that resided in Kaiman's body flew away, and returns to Risu's body. It seems to wake up once is inside his body:

Note: Now I believe Kaiman's lost his cross eye's tattoo because that was a mark the curse had stopped dominating him, or something like that.
-CEG guys come back, and they fight against a possessed Risu . He has the special property to return back any attack, kinda? Two of them get hurt, and the Curse gets away (lucky for them).

Kaiman:
-Asu's saved Kaiman with his teleportation ability.
-Kaiman has another dream where he dreams of killing Nikaido, it's pretty clear at this point he killed his BFF Risu and feels guilty about it. The trippy part where he talks with bodies sliced up horizontally is something to behold.
-Dokuga appeared in the dream too, giving black smoke to someone, it seems Aikawa also knew him, supporting my theory of '4 in 1' (see previous post).

...(After a month) ...

En:
-Nikaido graduates to Punished Nikaido. She is rejecting strongly the contract, debilitating her body. Which is a bit of a plot hole: why she didn't do it before, if it was possible?

-Ok, help me here. In the first page of curse 66, she comments how using she used her magic, and caused more problems to Kaiman. Uh, when that happened?
-En is still obsessed with the fight six years ago with CEG boss, we learn he almost died and survived almost by chance. He will oblige Nikaido in using the time magic.
-Risu's new antihero self, possessed by the Curse, somehow detects something (I don't know if it was related to Aikawa or Nikaido) and goes to attack En's manor. He looks cool:

-The assault is... dizzying. It affect everyone senses. The author represents it with twisted perspectives and deformed backgrounds:

Finally, En dies against him.

CEG:
-Dokuga assaults a restoration syndicate to get healing smoke and heals his friends.
-Shin/Noi hear of the attack and goes to inspect the zone.

Kaiman:
-He seems to have recovered his memories, and has even his old helmet from his Aikawa's persona, and is taking care of a debilitated Asu. But he has forgotten everything lived as Kaiman... ?! It's a bit weird, as if he was fooling himself into amnesia.
-Asu's true name is Kawajiri. I guess 'Asu' was his devil name.
-They both teleport to En's manor, Kawajiri wants to rescue her with his magic. They find her, but 'Aikawa' leaves them.

Bonus curse:
I guess the author was sick or something!

So overall a good volume where the most important stuff happens in En's side. Even if we know he can come back, as Kikurage and Chota got away just in time, it was shocking to see, until now En presence and confidence has been a stable pillar of the series. You feel now like the story could go anywhere from this point onwards.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 12

I think this is the last volume I read years ago, so onward all should be really new for me.

In En's manor:
-Turmoil, chaos and people deserting is the result of En's death. Fujita is depressed, while Shin & Noi wants vengeance.

Will they?~~
You know what, at the start of the series it seemed to me En was some kind of mob boss, but as the series progressed it seems he was a entrepreneur, with several legit business as his name. It was mentioned that a chain of restaurants is how he got rich and gained powed.
-the Professor finds his devil-wife Haru. I have to say: bravo Professor, I approve.

-Turkey, the maker of meat dolls that follow their original bodies, appear, and with him they make an En's doll, to get to the CEG boss. The doll is done with a giant pizza. Of course. ...Why are you looking me like that.

Risu
-It seems Risu's curse goal is to take vengeance from Aikawa, as he killed him time ago.
I'm thinking on it, and I think I got things wrong. Kaiman/Aikawa got a sudden headache at the end of the past volume, I think that's when Aikawa/boss personality woke up, and fought against En. It was him who beat En, not Risu/Curse.

CEG
-They have healed their wounded. They are going to a CEG hideout as they suspect their boss could be hiding there.
-Meanwhile, a serious Aikawa is seen doing something with En's head.
-Natsuki gives some fanservice with her naked body. I comment it because I would say the author hosed it up here, she seemed to be 10 years older without clothes, lol. Like, even the proportions were different.

Nikaido & Kawajiri
-She has a dream/flashback. it seems her infancy's friend Yakumo died because she used time magic. It's actually all pretty silly and contrived, she just happened to randomly pick a incredibly specific time and place where their adoptive parents were supposed to find Yakumo in a river, so because she 'distracted' them by talking to them, Yakumo died.
-Kawajiri proposes to her to use her time magic finally to get back all she lost, to stop running away from it.

Now, for the grand finale, the CEG, Shin & Noi and Aikawa all meet up in a climatic fight!
First Shin & Noi beat up the CEG, although Shin has some problems with Dokuga, being a good fighter as we know already. Natsuki escapes to find the Boss and ask help, she finds him and heal him, it seems he operated himself!
He wakes up and call himself Kai. So let's clarify:
Ai => original person from Hole
Aikawa => 'good guy' personality passing as third-rate magic user in the MW
Kai => his personality as the CEG boss? Multiple personality?
Kaiman => when he was hexed, lost his memories and returned to Hole.

Finally, Kai attacks Shin & Noi. He seems to be, in a way, the Hole incarnate bringing vengeance to the magic users. That dizzying effect he brings? It seems to be the same as the Hole's rain effect on magic users. Not only that, he go the core devil from En's head and now he can use his magic! He transforms them in a bunch of mushrooms! Just before they are destroyed they mysteriously vanish... (Kawajiri? a devil?) and the Curse returns for vengeance!! He was going to kill Kai, but another in extremis save is done by Haru.
because it seems a devil's song was his only weakness. Lol.

Bonus:
Chidaruma rocks

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

URGENT NEWS~~

Turin Turambar's Dorohedoro read-along proves to be so popular it makes the manga series gain an anime adaption

http://moetron.net/post/179922064995/q-hayashidas-manga-series-dorohedoro-manga

Interesting, so this is how being an influencer feels... :D

I give it a 1 in 10 chance of capturing the charm of the manga, 0.5 in 10 if they decide to do it in CG, but goddamn if they pull it off it will be glorious.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Because I'm close to the middle of point of the manga, I think it would be nice to write some more serious impressions.

Dorohedoro combines an unique, hyper violent magickpunk setting with a very appropriate sketchy, rough but detailed art style, a gripping if convoluted mystery storyline and a big set of characters that end up being a charismatic bunch of lovable nerds and doofus. I mean, they are also psycho killers from time to time, but one thing doesn't remove the other! You could even say that contradiction adds up to the character.
Perhaps the key is the 'charismatic' word, they aren't really especially deep or complex or well done characters, in fact every time it seems the author tries to expand or deepen on them showing their origin story, she shows a mediocre vengeance story (Shin), or some trite tragic past (En) or some contrived bullshit (Nikaido). And as I indicated in one of the first volumes, their motivations doesn't make a lot of sense in some places. But as I say, the author makes them likeable, and that's what matters in the end, it's what people will remember.
The author can move between the gritty and down to earth tone, to the surreal or trippy to the scary and creepy, to just hilarious. This variety of tones and styles is also one of the strong points of the series. It's also an action series, but it almost feel like naming technicalities by calling it that, the action isn't usually the focus, and to be honest, it's lacking: the action choreography isn't very good and it doesn't flow well. The action here appears because it has to be featured as part of the plot (it's a violent world with violent characters), and the hyper violence found in the action is important as how it permeates the tone and the setting of Dorehodoro.

Perhaps Q Hayashida best recipe for success was the happy idea of at some point giving a bigger focus to the enemies, dedicating first some full chapters as antagonists, and eventually turning them in not antagonists, but into another set of protagonists. En, Shin, Noi, Fujita & Ebisu, they are all great in their roles (sometimes, even Chota :P), be that being a fearful opponent, someone with the drive to search for the truth, or being comedic relief.
In some moments, in fact they are THE protagonists, with the weight of the narrative drive falling into their shoulders, while the plot threads for Nikaido or Kaiman are more plain and boring. Imagine for a moment if the author wouldn't have had this idea, and most of the story would have been done with just Nikaido & Kaiman. They are a decent protagonist couple, but I think this very same thread wouldn't exist, in that world.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Increase that to 5:10 if a studio like Kinema Citrus (Made in Abyss) or 8Bit (Slime Isekai) works on it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yrNYhhZKqQ

Do they say which studio is making it?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yrNYhhZKqQ

Do they say which studio is making it?

No but I think it said that they could be announcing it tonight. I think

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm late and this volume was long...

Volume 13

En's Manor isn't En Manor anymore. Now the CEG has taken control of it, with Kai sitting on the throne. Long live the new King!
Not only that, but people from the MW start coming to enter in CEG, it's clear they understand it's better to be in favor of the new regime.

However, the boss disappears again (leaving a strange pool of blood or mud), and Aikawa reappears, with the old helmet and no cross tattooed eyes. It seems to confirm the theory there is a case of double personality here, Aikawa/Kai, however we aren't sure if it's normal MPD syndrome or something of magical nature.

CEG got a clue in the whereabouts of Kirukage, on the outskirts, and search for it.

Dokuga finally spit it out. He knew the reason of the first disappearance of the boss: he was searching for a particular type of magic, and he finally found it, the Curse magic, Risu. Dokuga shows he wasn't a sucker unlike other CEG guys who idolatrize his boss, he knows the boss is a cold mofo who could kill anyone, including friends, if it was needed or desired. He is following him for more pragmatic reasons: he used the Boss, same the boss uses the gang.
Although I'm not sure why Kai killed Risu. Did he plan to extract the mini-devil from his head to gain that super rare Magic, I guess? Same as En.

Aikawa signs up for new magic school, repeating old patterns, and visits Risu's place to check on him. I'm not sure he remembers he killed him well before all this started, he acts normally. He finds him slept, and wakes him up. Risu feigns, but it's clear he remembers who killed him.
We have a flashback of the deal, and after Risu died the Curse awoke, killing his killer Kai, and discovering he was a 'fake', not a sorcerer. It's then when he used a bottle with Ebisu's smoke to transform Risu head in lizard's head?, before it was transplanted in Aikawa's body? Mmm it isn't clear, but I think it's important
That was Ebisu's involvement, she was never there.

(see the hands appearing from the palm of the real hands? that's the Curse awakening)

It kills Aikawa/Kai, and notice what it says, he is a fake magic user. As we knew, he is Ai from the Hole. And he was beheaded.

I think what happened with the heads is key. We know they found Risu's head (one of them???) is a box in the MW, so maybe the head transformed in a lizard head was Aikawa's, and it was put in Risu's body, the reverse of what I said before.

We discover what happened with our favorite cleaners, they didn't teleport, they were done invisible by Sho, another member of the En's family. Noi recovers after a month on bed, and heals Shin.

Let it happen goddamnit.

CEG group finds some clues about Kirukage and go for it. Meanwhile Natsuki finds her magic potential is high, even if she normally can't produce smoke.
On the other hand Ebisu & Fujita are using a Kirukage living doll to find the real one, planning ahead of future En's revival, when they will need it.
They all fight and Ebisu wins thanks to her lizard transformation, although Natsuki saves her life by finally doing magic, she is capable of summoning an indestructible body shield. En's side run away with the magic animal.

Aikawa has some partial memories of the Hole in a dream, but they are distorted and he doesn't seem to recognize the place or the professor. He seems to be blocking his past life as Ai.

Nikaido is following Asu's devil training regime as a way to improve her magic output. The will infiltrate En's manor to take a book, in hopes it will help them with Nikaido's magic training. And then, suddenly, rule 63!

Risu seems to believe Aikawa told someone else about his Curse magic, so he believes it's his fault but the killer was another person. He doesn't know the truth.
Later, Risu comes back to En's manor, ready to use the Curse to get the information he wants from Dokuga. Aikawa has followed him too, although we don't know why, to protect him like in the old times?

CEG guys fear Natsuki could be the next target of their boss thanks to her newfound magic, and plan to send her to a far away mission.
Nikaido and Dokuga fight a bit but she escapes, and find her book, coming back to her original body.
Curse and Natsuki fight, and surprisingly Natsuki won, she is in a way more powerful than him. Aikawa rescues Risu, and ask Nikaido and Kawajiri to escape with a sleeping and wounded Risu with Kawajiri's teleportation powers.

Finally, Aikawa/Kai mystery is solved. Well, 'solved'. You remember the face that appeared on his blood in the second volume?. It's still there. Aand he literally has two
heads, one is Aikawa, and the other is Kai. I wonder if this is related to the 'head transplant' done by the Curse.

Kai returns and kills Natsuki just before leaves. Nooooo! Cliffhanger end.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 14

Volume starts strongly, with Aikawa trying to kill himself in an attempt of finishing with Kai. So he knows his other personality exists. Obviously he won't be successful, or the story would end soon, but something important will happen.
I wonder if in part that immortality was given by Risu's Curse. This is all a flash-forward, the rest of the volume has chapters that says "17 days before", "15 days before", etc until it finally catches up with Aikawa's 'death'.

-En's gang plan to resurrect him, finding first the little devil stolen by Kai. But for that they have to understand how Kai is using it to have En's magic.

-There is a pair of scenes where characters ask 'but why the devils/Chidaurama didn't do anything to help his friend En?'. In their ambiguous non-answers there is an implication that the Devils have a Plan.

-Dokuga start to suspect of Natsuki's death.

-Risu and Nikaido talk, and finally it's confirmed the mini-Risu inside Kaiman's head is a representation of Risu's curse that somehow is trapped there.

-Nikaido's training continue. She has to be able to produce a lifetime worth of smoke, but it's easier said than done. There is entire sequence of weird nightmare scenes produced by a special headgear that Asu gives her as part of her training.

She finally surpass her fears and gain devil horns that makes her look like someone with a slutty Halloween costume:

and finally is able to control her time powers, which she uses to save Yakumo. ...and it's all a bit underwhelming. It's in part told as it was something emotive and important, but we never really met Yakumo, so he revival rings hollow.
Meanwhile Kai is being super creepy about wanting to have that much power

-Kawajiri reveals how Risu's curse works: to finish with it, he has to kill first the person who killed him. IMO the Curse can be defined then as 'You gain a great power against someone who supposed a great affront, like someone who betrayed you, however you also a wrath that can consume you, and the only wait to lift the curse is carrying it out, killing the person who made the original affront'.
And here it's the twist, in that Kawajiri says his killer was killed by someone else, after of that that was revived. So that was not Risu's curse acting up. Someone more happened in the fatidic night where Kaiman was 'created'.

-Fujita is given a mission, to spy Kai to gather info, using Shou's magic invisibility.

-Kasukabe abandons his devil-waifu, he has notice he is being distracted to not obtain information about Kai.

-Dokuga almost finds Natsuki's rest, in fact he already suspects what happened. The CEG together with the boss starts doing mas killing of magic users, in an effort of finding whoever did the past big smoke explosion (Nikaido). CEG in general is starting to lose it, after so much violence.

-Remember Tanba, the cook? He ends fighting with Kai, and between him and his assistant Fukuyama they beat him.

Ok so here Dorohedoro turns even more gore, sick, twisted and weird than ever before. Look at this sick stuff

They see several little devils inside his head, and then things turn into the loving bizarre

The killed one head, there are many more to go, like a Hydra. Is simply this the mystery behind his apparent immortality? Aikawa head appear from the black ooze and he takes the chance to kill himself by not avoiding Fukuyama's magic.

I guess how the anime is going to adapt this, lol.

In this volume some important things have happened, but even then it feels more like a transitional volume in the story, as there are still opened several thread. Fujita mission has to continue in next volume, we still have to reach the flash-forward moment, Kasukabe has to meet Kai, etc.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 22, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 15

The fight from last volume is resolved by the CEG retreating with their boss transformed into a pie and one of their members half-transformed into another pie, too. They are cured with leftover smoke in En's manor, but the boss returns as Aikawa, and the CEG captures him until they clear up what the hell is happening.

Kasukabe has infiltrated in En's manor, with the goal of getting info on Aikawa/Kai. He finds him as prisoner, and confirm he is really Ai Coleman. Nice double spread goes in this moment

He goes 'shock!' when he heard his old name and a new head replaces Aikawa's head. And it seems the original head from Ai, the one decomposed by toxic waste in the Hole. He finds the boss private chambers, where a disgusting corridor of the dead, with walls made of heads taken from magic users remain. They mini-devils have been all removed, and they are producing black powder for feeding... something.

Kasukabe's theory is that Ai is preparing to turn himself into another thing, in the same way he turned himself in a magic user. Maybe.. he wants to reach devilhood, as that's the natural next step? The professor and Johnson are killed here, Aikawa return to have control, and he is about to kill himself... Just before he does it, he implies this isn't the first time he does it, he just want to forget all the bad stuff, like he when he did it when killed Risu.

But in that moment Dokuga comes, and he listened a conversation while being hidden. CEG is going for Risu/Nikaido, so he gotta play hero. Haru resurrects Kasukabe, something I was expecting.

Meanwhile, Nikaido and Risu decide to come back to the Hole, and travel to he past to discover what happened really with Risu's death/Kaiman appearing. Nikaido can't produce smoke anymore, she is left with her time device only, and the devices has only 4 charges remaining. The finally tell him that Kaiman is Aikawa, but he is still confused as he doesn't know the connection between Aikakawa and Kay (who he saw in a glimpse his cross eyes, that's why he knew someone from CEG killed him).

Finally, we reach the moment where Aikawa offs himself. Uh? What's the plan here?

Moments later, something unexpected happens in MW,... it rains. There is no rain in MW, only in the Hole! Let's remember how it affected magic users. We also see that most moments in the volume has been observed by an invisible Fujita, sneaky.

There is an interesting sequence with Ai, but I don't know if we are to interpret it literally or it's a metaphor. In it, a still normal looking Ai uses smoke (!) and summons a door, but the door turns into a mirror, which contains he alternate-self as a magic user, Aikawa. You tell me.

The rain k.o any magic user, with the exception of Kirion (Kanba's gf) and Shin, because they are half-humans. Shin helps everyone to move, and they decide to retreat to the Hole for the time being, as they can't stay in the MW.

A new member of CEG, called Yasaka, appears. Given how he has a little moment for himself, I guess he will be important later.

A big group of devils appear, the focus on the headless Aikawa. It was clear the devils had something to do with all this, maybe they are the invisible hand directing everything from the shadows. The CEG guys find Aikawa in the middle of the heads, and the head of Kai is empty, there is no mini-devils (including En's) in it. Finally his body merges with the strange body casket seen before, transform and the final result is... wtf it is:

Chidaurama appears briefly, commenting on how that thing is the one who got his 'seal of approval' and how something like that hadn't happened in centuries. The mega-magic user tries to go to the Hole, and finally the CEG gusy recognize him as his boss and help him, but Yasaka sees them, and interpret the scene as them running away.

So at this point everyone is in the Hole! Except poor Fujita.

--End.--

Man it's being hard summarizing these volumes as everything now is main plot, it's hard to skip anything. My current theory is that all it's part of a plan of the devils to extend his reign to the only place that was without magic and without devils: the Hole.

These last two volumes have been a turning point in the series. It feels more.. raw. The author ramped up the weirdness, the gore, the wtf factor, and the stakes. It is meaner, even in a casual fight against nobodies. Like, look at this

I think the author thought fans had grown accustomed to the level of violence and weirdness of Dorehodoro of the first volumes, and now they were kind of following the series like any other series. It had lost its edge. So she decided to make sure it would shock every reader, and wouldn't left anyone indifferent. Also, at this point there is barely any humor, that increases the feeling the series is 'meaner' now.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 26, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Still no new volume.

But I found a Dorohedoro youtube video that I will link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5d9V5PrG-w

I basically echoes some of my opinions already written here.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the sequence when ritsu/curse does some righteous smiting is gory and good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 16

One of the main events of the volume is the time travel and seeing what really happened in the key event with Kai and Curse, although at this point we know 80% of it. You know what, when it was revealed that Nikaido had time magic, I expected much more time loop/paradoxes shenanigans in this comic, like seeing a mysterious character in a volume and and discovering in a late volume it was one of the main characters from the future, but until now we hadn't any time travel.

Funny thing, after my note of the last volumes being more and more serious, violent, mean and 'intense', it seems the editor thought the same and said to the author she should light up a bit. Because this volume has a slightly lighter tone in some chapters, with again humor and more fanservice. Which now that I'm writing about it, I will say how weird is Japanese fanservice to me. I'm not a US prude, but imo seeing how an author will put some tits and asses as a way to throw a bone to the audience in an otherwise non-ecchi manga... it cheapens the experience, you know? Like... at this point, in the sixteenth volume of Dorohedoro, the reader should be pretty invested in the character's fate and struggles, and sold in the involving central mystery, they shouldn't need to have scenes where several female characters in different scenes coincidentally lose their clothes, and trying to pass that as humor is even weirder. Oh well, the summary...

In the Past:
-Risu & Nikaido go back in time to see what really happened with Kaiman.
-Dokuga was the CEG who saw the Boss for the last time, he helped him go to the Hole with a magic door to escape from Risu's Curse. It was Dokuga he one who gave him some magic user's smoke as help (including Ebisu's smoke)
-They mention the Curse's power is 'to steal everything'. That's why it could reflect back any weapon attack in the past.
-Curse 'steals' (read: tear up) the organs that produce magic from Kai, tear up the head and eats it. Oh nom nom nom! He was going to enter inside his body (to devour it from inside?)
-But Ebisu's magic smoke was cast upon him by accident, and because (Curse) magic can't affect a body already very affected by (Ebisu) magic, Curse was trapped inside him.
-It was in this moment where one of the other heads popped up, already transformed to Kaiman's head.

In the Present:

Nikaido's group:
-The time travelers come back. There is a small lore scene where Asu shows some demon coins from Chidaruma engraved with the three realms: Hell, the Hole and the Magic World. I mention because I don't know if it will have significance later.
-Nikaido demonic metamorphosis is progressing, even if it wasn't supposed to occur. She has now a devil tail and a change of personality!

En's gang :
-They borrow the hospital as new base of operations. Haru-chan the Devil appears with Kasukabe on the same place.
-Fujita's adventure as The Invisible Man. A more relaxing, comedic chapter, which ends with Fujita also getting into the Hole, following the transformed Boss.

CEG :
-They are still trying to find food, and find an ominous building. I have the same question as them. Was that always in the Hole? Because it's the first time we really see it.

-While Dokuga is alone waiting the rest, he is shot in a trap by a disguised Yasaka. His dying body is picked up and brought to the Hospital, so in that way, Dokuga is inadvertently captured by En's cleaners.
-They (correctly) guess the fluid that expel their boss isn't blood by the filthy waste waters from the Hole, making the connection between him and the Hole stronger.
-Yasaka betrays his allies to have all the black powder for himself.
-Fujita fights Yasaka, winning but at great cost. RIP Fujita.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 27, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 17

Everyone to the central department store! That's the new gathering point, both Nikaido and En's group decide independently to go there. In En's gang case, because their plan is to get fresh food to make a Fujita's doll, who will guide them to the real Fujita and therefore, to the CEG boss.

~Theory time~
This volume seems to confirm some of my theories. Shin mentions the CEG boss was trying to transform artificially into a devil, I got that right. And several parts of the volume give clues on the secret relationship between the Hole, the Hole's rain and the dump waste related to the Boss, that could be something like my theory the Hole itself is attacking (or defending from, or taking vengeance) form the MW or from the Devils. The boss is kind of an avatar of the Hole itself, or is being used as a tool, as a minimum. Even the name of the world itself, the Hole, now that I think about it, it could be key, it could really refer to the hole in the ground from where the black ooze appears. When Ton is killed and we see him in some kind of strange world, there is hole in the ground, from where the same liquid appears.

Speaking of theories, this volume also indicates the importance of the Central Department, which has been built on top of the dump lake that transformed Ai, so it could be somehow 'influenced' by it. Also, the symbol of the store is in the devil's coins shown before, as if it was the symbol of Hole itself. And if you think about it, the symbol happens to look like a cross-eye. It all starts to tie together. The Hole possessed/influenced Ai when he fell into the dump lake, marking him with the cross eye. Let's remember the rest of CEG has tattoos to look like him.
~End of Theory Time~

Ok, continuing with the volume.

The nightmare looking horror vibes continue in this volume.

-Most of the original CEG group is wiped out by their own monster-boss, only the samurai is left alive (and Dokuga, as he is with En's group), with the heads of two of their mates with the intention of revive them.
-Fujita, surprisingly, was still alive (bullshit, but you know, in Dorohedoro every named character seems to be hyper resilient to death). He recovers with some healing smoke, and somehow finds En's tumor devil.
-After that, a mysterious figure appears briefly:

Is that the new shape of Kai/the Boss?
-The monster utters a single word before throwing himself (and all the devil tumors) into the icky-looking hole: 'sacrifice'.
-Setup is done for the future: Sho gives Shin some mini-flasks for devil tumors, which gives them a hyper-healing factor.
-Devil's flying house appears on the Hole.
-En's group have an accident flying with their magic carpet, and Shoo dies from the fall. Fujita's invisibility disappears because of that.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 6, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 18

Yes, Kasukabe we are in the endgame. It seems the rest of Dorohedoro will happen in the same location.

First, I wanted to comment how they die when the 'devil tumor' dies inside the brain, and how they can't resurrect with the devil missing. It's like.. it's like Attack on Titan, and the sorcerers are really the mini devils, piloting a meat mech! :P

-Fujita makes a temporal truce with Tetsujo (the samurai-themed CEG), to revive his mates in exchange of his help.
-En's group starts to notice how strange is the Central Department Store, they are now in the huge structure shown by the mirage, and not the the real physical store.
-Ebsu has En's corpse and she is alone, but she allies with a amnesiac Dokuga who is made to believe he is her servant.
-Shin implants forcefully the health flasks into Noi's head, as a fail-safe for their group. Just after that, he goes missing.

Yeah Noi, that's just bad education! /snickers

-The Central Department Stores sinks into the ground! and the lake of waste reappears.

-Doc brings a series of photos he did time ago and had forgotten about it. It was when caiman lost his head and returned to the Hole.

The interesting thing is that Ebisu's curse affected all the head, not one. And second, he isn't inmortal, he just have a finite set of heads, 9, from which two are already dead.
-Kasukabe understands Ai is Caiman, and how it's all related to Ai's original experiments, where he used the bodies of 8 magic users. I think that's the data I was missing, he didn't merge with one, but with multiple ones.
He falls into the Devil's house, finds Haru, who hides him inside this own Devil's body. The rest of devils appear, and the house itself goes into the lake.
-Haru confirm the lake is special, it has sentience and it's using Ai for his own goals.

-Nikaido, Asu and Risu try to get out from there, but it's impossible. They can't use magic to do it, in fact Asu loses his eyes while trying that.
-They are attacked by a bunch of zombie-like people with tubes attached to them, they are pretty tough, Risu turns them in pieces but eventually Nikaido is separated from the rest.
I have to add that Nikaido high spirits and permanent smile as a devil crack me up!

Also it's funny how the Curse, which when it appeared on the manga it was the most fear-inducing thing, full of mystery, it's now treated casually, and sometimes drawn like this:

(lol)

-Shin has been captured by the enemy (dunno how to call it, KaiDevil?), he has a tube like most other people there. The tube injects the black waste water on him and...

gently caress
He makes pieces of Fujita, Tetsujo, Turkey and Chota.
-Noi fights him, but only gets to destroy one of his arm, he impales a hammer on her head.

-And finally, Nikaido finds... Caiman?!!

Overall, I'm seeing more and more of my theories confirmed, I'm doing a pretty good job at it! Of course it isn't I'm super smart, it's more the author always put some clues and teases in the previous volumes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 19

Caiman! Ok, so this Caiman is one that seems to have regenerated from the first head that was cut by Shin, and kept in formaldehyde. He doesn't have memories of all that have happened in the last thirteen volumes, lol.

-Nikaido receives help of a never-seen before Devil, she has to get the store knife that Haru has, borrowed from Chidaruma. It's the only way to get out of there.

One moment... that mask... (it's seen closer in another panel) it's Nikaido's mask! Lol, I think I already solved this mystery. Will she turn in the end in a full devil and use her last time travel to go back and help herself? It seems so.

-Haru and Kasukabe go back to the Devil House using an excuse to split from the main group of devils. Haru wants to use the chance to drop Kasuksabe somewhere, but Chidaruma actually knows what's up.

-The CDP (Central department Store) is transforming, recreating the Hole, or a new Hole. Maybe this is the way the original exterior Hole was created once, time ago.

-There is a good number of pages dedicated to Nikaido vs Haru fight. They fight because Nikaido and Caiman needs the store knife, and Haru doesn't want to give it, of course. Haru is winning, until she lost control of her own body because Kasukabe is inside her, he dies in a poignant, dramatic way... and a frenzied Haru kills Caiman as vengeance.
Not that the drama or tragedy is fixed, a few pages forward Nikaido go back in time, and solves things, by giving the store knife to herself in the past. Therefore they never got to fight Haru in the first place in the timeline.

A funny moment.

-Risu frees himself from the evil pipes that traps people by getting some control over Curse. He finds DevilKai.
-The heads of all the people made pieces by evil-Shin have a good talk, Futurama-style. They form a plan, they will use their own bodies so Turkey can make an Ebisu doll, and that way find the resurrection dog, Juda's ear.

-EvilShin finds Dokuga and they fight.

-Oh boy, Chidaruma gives us the origins of the story in a tale. Short story: He created the Sorcerers, as god who was alone in the world. He founds a new world, with the puny Humans, that will be the Hole. (to continue in the next volume!)

At this point the pace of Dorohedoro is slower, but not because stuff isn't happening, it's that we are 'in the endgame' as Kasukabe said, and the scenes are more detailed and developed they don't do skips in time or locations, it's all more 'continuous'.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 20 or, En's return!

-Caiman is trapped, and the freed, from the tubes, but not before some of the black liquid is introduces in him. Then the spirit of Ai appears! the original Ai who fell into the lake? Thing is, with him Caiman recovers and transform into Aikawa. Or maybe he is a mix, his head has features of both.
-Meanwhile Nikaido fight with devilKai. He uses his 'dizzying attack' and gain advantage over her, stealing the time box.
-Finally Risu saves the bacon, showing the true value of his powers. Whatever he is attacked with, he will return it. Caiman uses an opening to recover the knife and strike. devilKai is beheaded! One less head, at least. But his body retreats, and bringing Nikaido with him.
-They agree to collaborate, being partners again after so much time:

-They reach what it seems the central location, and near there AI's spirit finds his original body.

-So as we're telling, just as evilShin was going to defeat Dokuga, Juda's Ear does its work and resurrect En, who transform evilShin into mushroom compost the moment he is attacked.
-Dokuga recovers his memory, and knocks out En enough time to run away, with Ebisu carrying Judar's Ear with her. En gets him with remote mushroom bombs, but in the end they are spirited away by devilKai.

-The heads remove the hammer from Noi's head, so she can heal again.
-Fujita notes the room had 3 coffins with the liquids, the rest are broken, in that moment one more breaks. Does that mean Kai have two lives left?
-Funnily, all the devils are on the other side of the room looking to the central room where En's people (or... heads) are through the windows. It seems a picnic! And they even save Asu... because they wanted to have some drat gyozas for their BBQ thingie LOL

-Aikawa says they are in a fake Hole recreated from his memories, so that's the explanation of why the hell there was a Hole now in their location. And he calls himself Ai Coleman, not Aikawa, or Caiman (despite having the lizard head again). Even more, he says he always was being used by the Hole, and never was truly a sorcerer.

-Chidaruma's tale continues! :
After discovering the human world, he played a bit with them, until he got tired. Time later, he returned to the human world, discovering that the sorcerers had done a genocide. Independently, they also had found how to travel to the human world, and had killed almost everyone (as he explains, sorcerers were pretty wild before!), leaving a literal mountain of befouled corpses. Centuries later, that transformed into... THE HOLE, a self-aware evil pit of magic and death.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No, I didn't forget Dorohedoro!. Let's finish it!

Volume 21

me on Christmas after eating too many mantecados and nougat

Ok, this volume is easy to summarize.

-En kills devilKai, using his powers to multiply endless mushrooms spores inside him (see above).
-Everyone gets together, En, Shin, Noi, Noi heals everyone who needed healing, etc.
-The ghost of Ai explains his life, solving all the remaining mysteries, although I will say that at this point, he basically confirms all my theories and just clarify a few missing details that remained between the gaps. No need to repeat them here again. He was possessed by 'it', the Hole, formed by death and hatred from the dead humans with the mission of kill all sorcerers, Kai/Ai has 9 lives thanks to the extra heads, how he met Risu, etc etc.

This two things, En's fight and Ai explanations, occupy most of the volume. The remaining points are:

-Risu kills the last head of devilKai, who was Ai's head. This ends the curse.
-But, it was all a trap. Killing the last head was just the trigger for the final step. The ritual is complete, and the true Avatar of the Hole is born. He has a mission: kill sorcerers!

-Meanwhile, we see Chidaruma and the rest of the devils had a bet going on, where they were betting which side would win. Chidaruma declares he won (not true), and degrades all the rest of devils to sorcerer again, like he did with Asu time ago.

Chidaruma reaction to the Hole's avatar, or how he calls him, Holey, makes me think he was supporting all that happened since a good while, as it seems he considers Holey a peer, even more than the other devils who really are sorcerer who he transformed. It's like a god of humans, in the same way he is a god of sorcerers. Maybe he was searching for a partner all along.

About the mystery, it was interesting as at first I didn't know if this manga was going to have a concrete explanation for everything or the author was going to play with a more hazy, mysterious route, with just a few clues and a general vibe of what happened. It's the first option, that was a fairly comprehensive explanation. I have to say the whole saga wasn't bad at all, although now that what remains is the final fight, maybe the series will be lacking something.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volume 22-23

And this is the End.

So these two volumes are mainly a multi-chapter, multi-scene fight with this guy, Holey.

and the protagonists, first NikaidoDevil, and later Caiman, recovering protagonism for the first time in many volumes, just in time for the climatic fight.

Holey is a simple guy... uh.. thing who just want all sorcerers dead! So there is a good amount of filler of him killing or hunting nameless characters.
There are some parts that are a bit of a slog, like the already mentioned scenes of Holey being a simpleton, or Tanba and co that were left in the magic world, with Kiriom examining a giant door in the sky from where the rain is coming. Like, I think this scene is repeated 4 or 5 times:

Some of the highlights:
-Nikaido fight: Holey gains the upper hand against her using her own time-travel box, but when it seemed all was lost, the present changes, because her future self had used for the last time the time travel magic. She returns to her human form permanently once her magic powers are spent.

-Caiman has the property now of absorbing the sludge, as Holey really comes from him, it seems he also can use powers in a similar way. He makes a pact with the ex-Devils, they give them their powers so he can fight against thim.
He also seems to merge with all his alternating personalities.

-En & co, on the other hand, don't have really a role in all this. They didn't have any role for a while, in truth, the show is about Ai/kai, Nikaido and Caiman at this point. They basically survive despite all odds thanks to En and Noi powers, until Shou is revived and use his dematerializing powers to escape.

-The last climatic fight with Caiman recovers a bit the weird humor that Dorohedoro showed in the first volumes, and that has been mostly missing in the second half o the series. His new magical powers are solidified in a sentient magical staff of the Gyoza. That includes magical summon of gyoza as spells, lol.

-In the end, the hole is discovered to also be a kind of magic user, too, done with the sludge and the mix of magic smoke, which had gained life, so his weak point was also the mini devil in the head. They hit the weak point for maximum damage and they win.

-So the heroes are victorious, and Chidaruma 'suffers' a punishment as he lost his bet: he will have to live 50000 years as a normal human (I guess that includes being reborn several times). 'Suffer' in quotes as clearly I was right and he felt lonely, maybe that way he will make friends.

-There is a epilogue of sorts, but it's all what you would expect, no surprises to note. En is busy rebuilding his empire, the humans started adoring statues of Holey as a divinity, sorcerers (that at this point I guess there isn't a lot of them? they died in droves with the hunt first, and then the rain) mostly stop coming to the Hole, Nikaido and Caiman open their restaurant, Shin & Noi comment how they will be partner forever and ever, even Fujita teases he will take Ebisu as partner in the next Blue Moon. The devils regain their devil forms and we can suppose they will reign a bit less maliciously, as Chidaruma was the worst of the bunch and the one with more power. Oh yes, and Asu and Risu will take the devil exam.

Merry Christmas!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 25, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Despite Holey being treated as sort of a typical world-ending villain (and he very much was), I did enjoy the massive scaling down of the threat by the end, as well as change being greeted head-on with positivity rather than a grimmer consequences-of-their-actions-to-defeat-the-evil deal. Dorohedoro is definitely more enjoyable mixing serious with comedic, and keeping them relatively balanced and never veering too much in either direction.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Argas posted:

Despite Holey being treated as sort of a typical world-ending villain (and he very much was), I did enjoy the massive scaling down of the threat by the end, as well as change being greeted head-on with positivity rather than a grimmer consequences-of-their-actions-to-defeat-the-evil deal. Dorohedoro is definitely more enjoyable mixing serious with comedic, and keeping them relatively balanced and never veering too much in either direction.

Yes, you make a good point, however I think in the series it felt a bit jarring, as the two or three volumes before this end part were much more serious, grim and world-ending. Coming back to the original mix of wacky, weird, comedic and gritty with a gyoza-themed superhero Caiman and Holey with a giant fork was... uh... interesting.

I think if I have to do any complaints about the end is well, how safe it felt. It wasn't bad, but there wasn't even a small surprise at the end. Everything returns to the norm.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*Ahem*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG1JdrBDaf4

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grouchio posted:

*Ahem*

HOLY loving poo poo THAT LOOKS SO GOOD. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, I DIDN'T THINK THEY COULD PULL IT OFF

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Grouchio posted:

*Ahem*

This is super epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

*Ahem*

ebisu's voice is really good

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Recommending this franchise for secret santa 2019! I shall participate!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just want to say I read the entire thing in a week and I loved it. I think it dragged near the end but it was great, and it actually ended. That's a big thing I look for in something I am about to read, 'is it finished'?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the ending was really great too in a way that the series has been most of the time, just silly as hell in the face of the horrific nature of the world of Hole

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i loved the part where hole made a giant fork and knife and started cutting people up with it, but thought the part where kaiman became the gyoza witch was stupid (the only part of the manga i didn't find absolutely enthralling)

really though i'm most upset that aikawa and risu never kissed

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know, I love that Kaiman achieved the mandatory Overpowered Main Character Super Form and it was just the dumbest and most embarrassing thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if it was played either more or less seriously i probably could've been sold on it tbh