Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

I hate to admit it, but I should prolly be Algus shooting the hell out of some innocent townie

lmao ominous foreshadowing about your vig use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've never played FFT

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Asiina posted:

I've never played FFT

:same:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Asiina posted:

I've never played FFT

both renditions are treasures. WotL is the best, but the GBA tactics was also super good.

The phone port for WotL is eeehhh, but you get the updated animations which is nice. but if you have few reservations about piracy of a 15 year old rom, if it's not re-released on newer platforms, I'd play the gba one too.

:shrug:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
WotL had more treachery, GBA tactics is more cute and heartfelt??

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

WotL had more treachery, GBA tactics is more cute and heartfelt??

GBA had that great tutorial using a snowball fight.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I will be playing a rom of the original PS1 version for what looks to be the alphabet soup challenge as the current vote stands.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember playing through war of the lions on my psp on the school bus for like a month.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FFTA is a great game about some rear end in a top hat tearing apart his best friend’s dreams bit by painful bit.

Oh and there’s corrupt judges too or something.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Podima posted:

FFTA is a great game about some rear end in a top hat tearing apart his best friend’s dreams bit by painful bit.

Oh and there’s corrupt judges too or something.

Lol that makes things less cute. Betrayal Advanced.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I feel like I'm the only one to play tactics A2 grimoir of whatever. I've never played those other ones.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Toalpaz posted:

I feel like I'm the only one to play tactics A2 grimoir of whatever. I've never played those other ones.

I didn't know there was another one... neat! I still need to get myself a DS/3ds

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I'll give this mafia thing a shot.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
gently caress it, I'm in.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry that was meant for r/bowsetta

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

lmao ominous foreshadowing about your vig use

never not always blow your vig load early

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want to avoid rolling start pls

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gonna keep playing til I get better, I'm in.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'll play.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Legendary mercenary CCKeane appears on the map.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

A Sometimes Food posted:

Gonna keep playing til I get better, I'm in.

Everyone's bad at mafia.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Ok I am going to get votefinder set up with what we have now and get alignments out set up discord rooms etc.

:siren: Signups are officially closed :siren:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Looks like I am going to be doing the Alphabet Soup Challenge!

I will randomly pick a letter soon and update the thread.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

CapitalistPig posted:

Ok I am going to get votefinder set up with what we have now and get alignments out set up discord rooms etc.

:siren: Signups are officially closed :siren:

*begins meditating to get into character*

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
OK all alignment PM's have been sent, please PM me with your starting class choice.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Alphabet challenge letter is.

It gave me the d

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
So we begin, the first leg of Cpig's Alphabet challenge.

I am going to skip past the opening scenes and tutorial/prologue battle.

If you really want to see the opening story and first battle here are some videos.

opening+intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFVWiZkPcoU

first battle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ0EYngkGcI

Important information for my character.

The opening for

We get interrupted by some knight.

Then we get interrupted by some other knight who only communicates in mysterious dots.

It's cool though, this guy can speak mysterious dot.

Time for our first battle!

Let's take stock of the rabble they give us and talk about the only stats that really matter in this game.

Brave and Faith

Brave is how good your people are at physical fighting.
Faith is how good your people are at magic.

That's it, the only two stats that matter in this game.
Anything under 65 in those two stats is trash.

The game gives us this bunch of green rear end cadets.

Could be worse, Vanilla, Eddie and Valerie are garbage and are probably getting booted after this battle.

Speaking of this battle..

I take Eddie, Philo, Chris, and Daison in with me.

Holy poo poo dude, calm the gently caress down. Like if your go to is murdering children you need serious help.

Delita gives me advice which I promptly insult him for giving me and then ignore.

Apparently I'm famous and this child murdering thief has heard of me.

:iceburn:

They have an rear end in a top hat chemist who keeps healing people but Cpig chases him down.

Philo, Chris, and Daison have a boot party on the child killer

When enemies die in this game, they sometimes turn into crystals that restore your HP/MP, sometimes, those crystals will allow you to inherit an ability that the enemy has.

In this case the child murderer gave phylo the Dash ability, which fits in with our alphabet soup challenge.

After we wipe the floor with these assholes Cpig is :smug:.

After the battle we are deposited on the world ma.... what?

For some reason the map is black, I'll have to see if I can figure out how to fix it in my emulator.

I boot Eddie, Vanilla, and Valerie from my company because they suck and can go suck somewhere else.

I pick up these two fine specimens instead.

A final look at my party after having learned Dash and Defend with nearly everyone and reequipping everyone with the best gear i can currently buy.
I made Daison into a Black Mage to eventually learn the death spell maybe, in any case it will lead in to other magic classes where I get more and better abilities.

Closeups of full stats

(chris couldn't quite afford to learn defend yet so after a level of chemist I am going to switch her to squire to learn it.)

And this is what i need to do to Delita to make my life a little easier in these first battles, since the rules of this challenge say guests can do whatever they want, I made Delita a Priest and taught him cure and protect and gave him a secondary skillset of Black Mage and taught him Fire, Ice, and Lightning.

I know his faith sucks, but it will be worth having an AI controlled party member that can heal and cast spells.

This is a list of all the skills I will be able to learn and use with my main party.

Squire -
Dash
Defend

Geomancer -
Demon Fire

Lancer -
Dragon Spirit

Dancer -
Disillusion

Black Mage -
Death

Oracle -
Doubt Faith
Dispel Magic
Defense Up

Time Mage -
Don't Move
Demi
Demi 2

Mediator-
Death Sentence

Ninja -
Dictionary

Calculator -
Distribute
Damage Split

What this will mean for this playthrough is that Time Mage and Oracle are going to get a lot of mileage.

My oracle abilities will be able to shut down magic user opponents and give my up front fighters defense boosts.

My Time Mage abilities will control crowds with Don't Move and will have the only damaging magic I will be able to cast in Demi 1 and 2 (Which is the Gravity spell in most versions of final fantasy games. It takes percentages of enemies remaining hp off if it lands.) Not ideal hp damage spells since they tend to have a low hit rate, but it's better than nothing.

Most of the other abilities are situational but I might get some use out of Dictionary (which allows ninjas to throw literal books at people for damage), Dragon Spirit which automatically casts the Reraise spell on you sometimes when you go critical(kneel down because of low HP), Disillusion that is a dance that effects all enemies which lowers magic attack.

Everything else will be difficult to get or very situational.

Overall I should decimate enemies that rely on casting spells pretty easily but might have trouble with some of the tougher fights and more physical enemies. I am optimistic though.

My biggest obstacle by far is that I have no healing abilities whatsoever, so in battles where guests are available I am going to have to use the rule that they can do whatever you want to the fullest advantage.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Just waiting on a couple more job choices so we will likely start tomorrow some time.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
While I wait for the final job choices to trickle in I guess you guys can talk to each other. No playing yet though.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

dear thread:

i want a dayvig one of these games

someone's gotta drop the hammer and drat the consequences and I want that to be me

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

SolusLunes posted:

dear thread:

i want a dayvig one of these games

someone's gotta drop the hammer and drat the consequences and I want that to be me

I too dream to be a vig at some point, I don't even care if it was day or night.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Meanwhile, all I want is bulletproof/deathproof.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

I too dream to be a vig at some point, I don't even care if it was day or night.

it can be possible

I bet one of the oneshots in the classes is a vig and I swear I'm gonna find it

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Meanwhile, all I want is bulletproof/deathproof.

that's because you're always the one who gets nailed by the vig

Dancer
May 23, 2011
wait is there a Dancer class in the game why can't I be a dancer >:(

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The one FF I never really played cause I suck at strategy games so badly. So are we killing god or fake god?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

The one FF I never really played cause I suck at strategy games so badly. So are we killing god or fake god?

why not both?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh nice, this'll give us time to get some of the flavor background chat out of the way. Don't worry, I'll explain the prologue chapter for all of you who don't know this stuff already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
For those of you who haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics let me explain my normal play with no challenges or restrictions.

Squires have two key abilities, neither of which I can use in this game.

Accumulate and Gained JP up.

JP, or Job Points is what you spend to learn abilities with your chosen class.

Gained JP up , obviously, raises the amount of JP you gain from each action in battle.

Accumulate is a quick self buff that raises physical attack power by 1 and costs nothing to do, it is cumulative so can be continually done during combat, and it gives you JP just like any other action.

I'm sure you are starting to see where this is headed.

That is just the first step in completely dominating this game.

So with those two abilities as secondary abilities for everyone you steadily build up the next set of abilities that make this work.

The Monk's Chakra ability and The Time mage abilities Don't Move and Stop.

Chakra costs nothing to use and restores HP and MP to everyone adjacent to the monk.
Don't Move, which you will be seeing a LOT of in my letter d playthrough, immobilizes enemies , they can still act but they can't move.
Stop completely paralyzes an enemy but has a lower hit chance than Don't Move.

The basic premise is that you have everyone's main job be whatever you want them to master all the abilities of.
The secondary skills for one person need to be time mage, another person needs to have the Monk's ability, and the rest have the squires basic skill.

How it all fits together is that you kill all enemies on the map except one, the monk user stands behind the time magic user and continually uses chakra to have the time magic user regain mp every round, thus getting the monk user jp every round.

The time magic user casts dont move and stop on the lone remaining enemy shutting it down indefinitely and alternating between stop and don't move, gaining the time magic user jp for each landed spell.

Everyone else stands around and accumulates.

After you've done this for as long as you can stand to do it kill the remaining enemy with one superpowered hit by someone who has been accumulating for a million rounds.

After the battle depending on how long you did it you can master out jobs or at least learn a bunch of skills.

Repeat this and you can have every job mastered before leaving the first chapter.

You can then take your three dual wielding teleporting knights and one time mage/ summoner and your one black mage/ white mage into every battle and completely decimate every single battle without a thought.

• Locked thread