Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite sleeping position
Left side!
Right side!
Back!
Stomach, because I hate my body
Some other way, somehow
View Results

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thread title says it all. How do you sleep? Do you sleep on your side, like a civilized person, do you sleep on your back, like some well-meaning but misguided souls, or do you sleep on your stomach, like a monster? Or some other, stranger method?

I sleep on my side, with a rolled-up lengthwise turned inside-out sleeping bag as a body pillow to keep my legs level instead of having one kinked downward, which has significantly reduced my overall soreness after waking up and I generally sleep better overall ever since I started using it.

This video got me thinkin' about sleepin', and maybe you might too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYDJM0LcvKs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I sleep on my side and have another pillow that I hug. I think I might need to change things around though because my shoulders hurt like hell sometimes. Getting a new pillow (shredded memory foam) helped a little but I don't think it's fixed things completely.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I sleep on my back in a recliner, with my hands in light fists like I'm riding a motorcycle in the space between my legs and the arms of the chair. Sometimes I have a cat on my chest.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Or

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Prone. Favorite by far.

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts
hanging by my feet upside down

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I sleep on my stomach with one arm under the pillow and the other kind of behind my back and my legs spread. I switch under-pillow arms all the time when it gets too sore or numb and i kick the poo poo out of anyone sharing the bed unless its a giant king one.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

On my back, with one or both arms above my head or underneath my pillow

Asterion
Nov 7, 2012

Rock climber style, half on my stomach and half on my side. One leg straight and one hitched up to the side. Bottom arm up and under the pillow because I apparently have no concern for my posture

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I sleep in a hammock. It actually kinda rules and has helped quite a bit with chronic back and hip pains that I get sometimes. I got a hammock and a stand on amazon like 2 years ago thinking I would just lay in it instead of the couch sometimes, and I realized laying in it was way more comfortable than a bed. So I just stopped using my bed. I keep a pillow and a body pillow in it, a sheet and a blanket. Without the pillows I tend to get too cold. I usually fall asleep on my right side and when I wake up I'm on my back which is what I usually did when I slept in a bed all the time.

By the way a lot of people don't realize you are really supposed to lay in a hammock at an angle, so you aren't just straight in the middle and bending your knees the wrong way. You can also lay on your side this way. I didn't know until I started looking into sleeping in a hammock. Also spreader bars are evil, never use them.

I think this was actually the blog post I found back when I was first researching, it gives a pretty good explanation.
https://www.treklightgear.com/blogs/trek-life/hammock-angle

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Depends on what hurts when. It changes all the time.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

On top of a pile of money with many beautiful ladies

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Dixville posted:

I sleep in a hammock. It actually kinda rules and has helped quite a bit with chronic back and hip pains that I get sometimes. I got a hammock and a stand on amazon like 2 years ago thinking I would just lay in it instead of the couch sometimes, and I realized laying in it was way more comfortable than a bed. So I just stopped using my bed. I keep a pillow and a body pillow in it, a sheet and a blanket. Without the pillows I tend to get too cold. I usually fall asleep on my right side and when I wake up I'm on my back which is what I usually did when I slept in a bed all the time.

By the way a lot of people don't realize you are really supposed to lay in a hammock at an angle, so you aren't just straight in the middle and bending your knees the wrong way. You can also lay on your side this way. I didn't know until I started looking into sleeping in a hammock. Also spreader bars are evil, never use them.

I think this was actually the blog post I found back when I was first researching, it gives a pretty good explanation.
https://www.treklightgear.com/blogs/trek-life/hammock-angle

Yo which hammock and stand you buy?

I never had a bed as a kid, so now as an adult it's weird, and about twice a month I can't sleep and have to get in a recliner or something "unusual" to take my mind off it.

When I'm in a bed, I love sleeping on my back with a pillow under my head and a second pillow over my head, but just down to my eyes, leaving my nose uncovered. Then I throw my arms above my head to kind of hold the pillow down. Like a big, padded sleep mask but I hate sleep masks.

Otherwise half on my back/half on my side, against a wall with a pillow behind me and hugging a pillow in front of me.

I really need to get another body pillow. That was a great 3 or so years.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Queen Combat posted:

Yo which hammock and stand you buy?

I never had a bed as a kid, so now as an adult it's weird, and about twice a month I can't sleep and have to get in a recliner or something "unusual" to take my mind off it.

When I'm in a bed, I love sleeping on my back with a pillow under my head and a second pillow over my head, but just down to my eyes, leaving my nose uncovered. Then I throw my arms above my head to kind of hold the pillow down. Like a big, padded sleep mask but I hate sleep masks.

Otherwise half on my back/half on my side, against a wall with a pillow behind me and hugging a pillow in front of me.

I really need to get another body pillow. That was a great 3 or so years.

The stand I got was this brand which also came with a canvas hammock.

Lazy Daze Hammocks Double Hammock with Space Saving Steel Stand Includes Portable Carrying Case and Head Pillow, 450 Pounds Capacity (Cherry Stripe)

Actually when I bought it, it did not come with that pillow.

Pretty easy to put together and take apart to move it around as needed. No tools needed. It's sturdy but it's not really that heavy. The dimensions are kinda awkward but I was able to set it up just fine in my living room and then later in the bedroom and I'm just in a 1 bedroom apartment. It's about 9 feet long.

I've tried a few different types of hammocks. I've come to the conclusion that the best for longer term sleeping in is probably one of the nylon "parachute" camping type hammocks. The canvas ones stretch out over time. Solid fabric is also sturdier than the webbed woven ones but those do look nicer and they have more give to them so they're a bit more comfortable in that way. But the one I got has a hole in it that I will have to fix to use it again, because it will unravel.

I actually just recently bought a new nylon one, the brand is called Bear Butt, I'm liking it quite a bit so far. I replaced the last one I had cause my dog bit a hole in it for some reason (it actually still stayed together fine and was like that for a while before I replaced it) and it also was a bit too short for the stand so it hung pretty tight.

I'll be honest I kinda feel like I'm never going to pay for another bed frame/mattress which is like at least a good $700 to get anything decent queen sized, when this is more comfortable for me and also way less expensive, even considering if you have to replace the hammock periodically. I'll keep the bed I have now since it looks nice, has built in storage underneath and guests can use it when they stay over but otherwise I'd probably be selling it cause I rarely use it anymore. My pets like it though, my 22# dog basically gets a queen bed to himself at night and the cat likes to sleep under the covers during the day so it gets some use.

I do kinda feel like a weirdo when I tell people I sleep in a hammock but gently caress it, it works for me. I will say haven't been in a long term relationship since I started sleeping in the hammock and I'm not sure if possibly not being able to share a bed would be a deal breaker for a lot of guys. I don't know that sleeping together in hammock would work well. But honestly I usually don't sleep as well with a partner and I snore, grind my teeth and roll around when I sleep so I don't make the best sleeping partner anyway!

Sleeping position with a partner is kinda an interesting subject too. I like being the little spoon. If the dude wanted to be the little spoon I think we would be somewhat incompatible. Face to face tends to wake me up too much. Back to back is fine but less intimate.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/arsIdOo.gifv

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

put that arm under him under the pillow and that's pretty much mine. I also realized last night sometimes I will put my fist between my head and the pillow with my other one under the pillow because apparently I hate comfort, or being able to feel my hands when I wake up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Queen Combat posted:

Then I throw my arms above my head to kind of hold the pillow down. Like a big, padded sleep mask but I hate sleep masks.
That's something else I do, I wrap the blanket around my head covering my eyes but not my nose/mouth, and tuck it so it holds it in place. Sleep masks just are a no go for me, there's just something uncomfortable about them, while the blanket keeps my head warm(I have no hair due to alopecia universalis, so it helps a lot in staying warm). Having a night job means sleeping during at least part of the day so anything to keep light from my eyes is good. I have blackout curtains but somehow no matter what little bits of light sneak in.

oftentimes I'll wake up mostly in the same position I went to sleep in, but I had a real bad nightmare earlier this week and just flailed absolutely everything, EVERYTHING, off my bed

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
At the wheel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhJAXkQfEmg

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On top of your mom.

But when I'm sleeping alone (which is most of the time admittedly), on my side like a normal person of course.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I can't sleep unless I'm on my side with my arm underneath my head/pillow, which loving sucks because I constantly wake up with a dead/aching arm.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

I sleep like this with my legs spread cause i'm a thot

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I sleep on my back, with no pillow. I have one of those temperfoam mattresses, so I just sink in and sweat to death until the urge to pee wakes me up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Spinning continuously from side to stomach to side. Like a rotisserie but skipping on the back. I have had to train my sleeping self not to lay on my back because that's when I breathe too shallow and the shadow people come.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Feet above my ears, hands on the back of my knees.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
same, tbh

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Thanks to old GBS Scary Story threads any position that won't give me sleep paralysis.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Asterion posted:

Rock climber style, half on my stomach and half on my side.

My man! :hfive:

Add to that, keeping my knees tucked up and a blanket over my head. If it’s too hot I will put the blanket over my head only, and sometimes arrange it so it has a mouth opening.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Getting a boner while sleeping on your stomach, wake up hovering over the bed like an alien abductee

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

On my left side, with two pillows under my head, one wrapped in my arms and another between my legs. Can't sleep on my right side, back, or stomach. I'm a delicate flower of a sleeper for a 28 y/o without back/weight/breathing problems.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My cousin used to sometimes sleep like he was doing a Muslim prayer which looked like the most uncomfortable thing ever and I have no idea how he was ok with it

Left side is objectively the best from what I have read/experienced because of how the human body is set up but I go through both sides and back multiple times a night usually

king spoon
Jun 11, 2007
Like a koala
Hugging a stuffed animal with both my legs and arms wrapped around said animal
Or on my tummy like a penguin sliding down a hill

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I once fell asleep on a hammock wrong way around balance on my head. Woke up a few hours later utterly refreshed.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

I once fell asleep on a hammock wrong way around balance on my head. Woke up a few hours later utterly refreshed.

I fell asleep in a hammock a few months back and rolled out of it when I woke up. I forgot my boyfriend was in it next to me and he flopped onto the brick walkway under it like a dead fish from the unbalance and had a huge bruise on his side for weeks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aesop Poprock posted:

I fell asleep in a hammock a few months back and rolled out of it when I woke up. I forgot my boyfriend was in it next to me and he flopped onto the brick walkway under it like a dead fish from the unbalance and had a huge bruise on his side for weeks
I had some sort of nightmare last week and woke up because I just straight up full arm punched the wall with my hand that already had a fractured middle finger bone

blinding, fiery agony is a real fun way to wake up, let me tell you

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I sleep face down, rear end up, with my rear end pre-Buttered and my nipples immersed in ranch dressing. Or on my left side alternating to right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I sleep flat on my back, legs straight.

• Locked thread