Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

What if Dream Corp, LLC but done by the guy behind True Detective S1 and starring the best parts of Superbad and The Leftovers?

:siren: :siren: Maniac :siren: :siren:

Maniac is an adaptation of a Norwegian show of the same name, directed/screenwritten/produced by Cary Joji Fukunaga, and starring Emma Stone, Jonah Hill, Justin Theroux, Sonoya Mizuno, Gabriel Byrne, and Sally Field.

quote:

Maniac follows "Annie Landsberg and Owen Milgrim, two strangers drawn to the late stages of a mysterious pharmaceutical trial, each for their own reasons. Annie’s disaffected and aimless, fixated on broken relationships with her mother and her sister; Owen, the fifth son of wealthy New York industrialists, has struggled his whole life with a disputed diagnosis of schizophrenia. Neither of their lives have turned out quite right, and the promise of a new, radical kind of pharmaceutical treatment—a sequence of pills its inventor, Dr. James K. Mantleray, claims can repair anything about the mind, be it mental illness or heartbreak—draws them and ten other strangers to the facilities of Neberdine Pharmaceutical and Biotech for a three-day drug trial that will, they’re assured, with no complications or side-effects whatsoever, solve all of their problems, permanently."

Emma Stone - Annie Landsberg

She's got complexes about her relationship to her mom and sister.

Jonah Hill - Owen Milgram

He's got a rich family (dad played by Gabriel Byrne) and he might also be schizophrenic?

Justin Theroux - Dr. James K. Mantleray

Head of the project Annie/Owen enroll in. Speaks in a lot of technobabble.

I've been looking forward to this one since I saw the trailer last month and from the reviews it looks like that excitement is definitely warranted. It's got a retro-futurist aesthetic similar to Legion, and some other absurdist stuff that I can't wait to see:

quote:

The more interesting part of those early chapters, though, is the world that Somerville and Fukunaga have built, which is simultaneously retro and futuristic. All the technology is out of the early Eighties — dot matrix printers, CRT computer monitors with green-on-black displays — but often re-imagined to mesh with our current lives. Instead of Facebook, there’s Friend Proxy, where you hire someone to play the role of a pal you can’t see in real life for one reason or another. Pop-up ads have been replaced by Ad Buddies, a service where you’re followed around by a person with a briefcase full of ads they’ll read aloud to you for as long is takes to cover your subway fare, rent, etc. The Statue of Liberty has been replaced by the Statue of Extra Liberty, a fierce golden warrior with wings, which one can imagine certain politicians commissioning any day now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6cDDmk-O5A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

After finishing the show this weekend I have to say, aesthetically, the people saying it's a love letter to stuff like Office Space and Being John Malkovich are spot on. More specifically I think it's basically just Cary Joji Fukunagi doing his best imitation of Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman with some Michael Gondry thrown in, and that's not a bad thing! He does a great job and it was an amazing show.

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 24, 2018

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Joust posted:

I thought this show was at its best when Justin Theroux and Sally Field were on screen together.

The bit with the psychosomatic blindness killed. "I've been blinded by my mother's excessive love"