Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I like to imagine the animation director's face when they realised the writers may have committed them to 4 episodes of animating a dog that may or not be present at all times.

It goes back to the reason dontnod is kind of successful in spite of themselves. They commit to grand ambitious ideas with arguably some brilliant writing but fail to understand how it makes for bad game design.

Remember Me had some truly amazing moments that was padded out by a decent parkour exploration and some insanely trash combat that tried too hard to make Arkham style fighting more "creative". The combat system itself probably got a ton of attention and work put into it but it was them trying to fix something that wasn't broke.

Vampyr has a lot of complaints about similar issues, very interesting story ideas but making literally every NPC expendable makes for some convoluted rear end design strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, from what I gather DontNod basically got lucky with the original Life is Strange (which thanks to the licensing agreement they made with Square is no longer their property) and after that most of their work ranges from passable to meh.

Speaking of which, is there anything worthwhile about Twin Mirror? I haven’t heard a lot in the way of positive feedback on the game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 18, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like the rumors might be true, if this leaked cover art on GameInformer isn't a spoof. Release date September 10th, 2021.

Edit: haha it was already taken down. IMG in the spoilers!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Decknine confirmed to be working on this one! :dance:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If that’s true then it’s coming sooner than I expected. I’m hoping it getting a PS4 version is true as well so I don’t have buy a brand new console.

Either way, we should know for sure pretty soon now (this would also be the first time a Life is Strange game actually kept its working title).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 18, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
LiS1 references are dominating the chat window for the stream.

It's actually hilarious how little staying power LiS2 had.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I notice that Alex (what I’m going to call the new protagonist until the official word says otherwise) is doing almost the exact same pose as Max on the LiS boxart.

Also assuming the leak is true it’s interesting that they’re going with a new cast, plot and setting again but not calling the game Life is Strange 3. Curious where it’ll wind up falling on the series timeline.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://steamdb.info/app/1265920/ - Life is Strange Remaster

https://steamdb.info/app/1265930/ - Before the Storm Remaster

https://steamdb.info/app/936790/ - True Colors

They're going all out on fanservice. LiS2 never happened and is being buried alive.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems like True Colors also might be the first game not to be episodic, which would be an interesting change if true.

Also I can’t view those links, anybody got a backup? If not, is anything new being added to the remasters of LiS and BtS?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, sorry. There's store pages up now, too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265920/Life_is_Strange_Remastered

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265930/Life_is_Strange_Before_the_Storm_Remastered

quote:

The Life is Strange Remastered Collection includes ‘Life is Strange Remastered’ and ‘Life is Strange: Before the Storm Remastered’.

Features:

- Remastered visuals across characters and environments
- Vastly improved character animation using full facial mocap performance
- Updated and refined gameplay puzzles
- Engine and lighting upgrades
- Includes previously released Deluxe Content: Chloe Outfits & ‘Farewell’ Bonus Episode
- Choice and consequence driven stories with multiple endings
- Harness the power of Max’s rewind ability or Chloe’s quick-witted attitude to change the course of events
- Distinct licensed soundtrack & original scores

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s True Colors:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/936790/Life_is_Strange_True_Colors/

Steph is back (and apparently a semi-major character too)!

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 18, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

who was steph again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Steph was the Dungeon Master in Before the Storm. These characters look a little aged up, I'd say early 20s.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She was also one of the better characters in that game in my opinion (sounds like her BTS actress is still voicing her too)

As I mentioned, it seems like True Colors won’t be episodic like the rest of the series. Weird they didn’t just call it Life is Strange 3 though.

The Remastered Collection looks pretty good as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 18, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey i saw this musician play among us with aoc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Trailer looked like my jam.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm likin' what I see, Deck Nine! :toot:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this studio head guy talks like a creepy youth pastor

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Trailer looks really good, and has much more of the original LiS vibe, which is understandable.

Glad that the devs get time to work on the game in its entirety instead of being hamstrung by episodic releases.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'd love to see the the statistics of who chooses Steph and who choose whats his face

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Landing on making it all about the same people and location is going to go a long ways to attract people back to the franchise.

decknine has working on this since 2017? Like drat I'm assuming the game is completely finished because that's crazy for a adventure game.

Also, god drat the decknine director has an incredible voice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I'd love to see the the statistics of who chooses Steph and who choose whats his face

If you play Life is Strange and don't slampick Maximum Gay poo poo then I have to question why you're still following the series at this point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It looks like it’s just what I wanted (set in a small community with a consistent cast of side characters) and the new power looks interesting. Also I’m glad to hear we’re getting a PS4 version.

Also, please make Steph one of the romance options Deck Nine.

pentyne posted:

Landing on making it all about the same people and location is going to go a long ways to attract people back to the franchise.

decknine has working on this since 2017? Like drat I'm assuming the game is completely finished because that's crazy for a adventure game.

Also, god drat the decknine director has an incredible voice.

Considering it’s being released in September that’d make sense. Honestly I think ditching the episodic nature of the franchise can only work in this game’s favor as this way the developers aren’t quite as hamstrung.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 18, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Curious, if the reason they brought back steph is because the rights/licenses to the original 1/2 cast is still tied up with having to pay dontnod for any use of their characters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Curious, if the reason they brought back steph is because the rights/licenses to the original 1/2 cast is still tied up with having to pay dontnod for any use of their characters.

Square Enix fully owns the rights to the franchise so I don’t think that’s the case.

Kind of curious what year this takes place (Steph looks to be in her 20’s now) and if it’ll have any other connections to the previous entries.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the game’s available for pre-order now, along with a deluxe edition that contains a bonus episode starring Steph as well as an ultimate edition that contains that plus the two remakes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Larryb posted:

Also, please make Steph one of the romance options Deck Nine.

The video introduced her as a romance option

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Here's the bundle

quote:

Pre-order Life Is Strange: True Colors now to receive 4 additional in-game outfits for Alex.

The Life is Strange: True Colors Ultimate edition contains:

Life is Strange: True Colors
Exclusive Bonus Story: ‘Wavelengths’
Exclusive Life is Strange Hero Outfit Pack
Life is Strange Remastered
Life is Strange: Before the Storm Remastered
Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Zombie Crypt Outfit

The Life is Strange Hero Outfit Pack will release alongside the base game.

The bonus story, ‘Wavelengths’, and the Remastered editions of Life is Strange and Life is Strange: Before the Storm will release after Life is Strange: True Colors.

A bold new era of the award-winning Life is Strange begins, with an all-new playable lead character and a thrilling mystery to solve!

Alex Chen has long suppressed her 'curse': the supernatural ability to experience, absorb and manipulate the strong emotions of others, which she sees as blazing, colored auras.

When her brother dies in a so-called accident, Alex must embrace her volatile power to find the truth – and uncover the dark secrets buried by a small town.

THE TRUTH WILL HURT
Discover the shocking secrets behind your brother’s death in an emotional roller-coaster of an adventure.

FEEL EVERYTHING
Change fate and change lives with the psychic power of Empathy.

FORGE DEEP RELATIONSHIPS
Build trust with the townsfolk – and embrace friendship or romance with Ryan and Steph.

A TRULY PERSONAL STORY
Make tough decisions and choose your own future. Freely roam the streets, stores, and hidden spaces of Haven Springs and meet unforgettable characters.

FIND YOUR VOICE
And decide Alex's style, with up to 24 outfits in your wardrobe.

EXCLUSIVE SOUNDTRACK
New tracks by mxmtoon and Novo Amor, and extensive licensed songs including Radiohead, Phoebe Bridgers, Gabrielle Aplin, and more

WAVELENGTHS
Step into Steph's booth as the all-new radio show host for KRCT: Haven's best - and only - radio station.
Over four seasons, discover more about Steph's past and her relationships as she makes her mark on the record store, uncovers its secrets – and decides her future.

LIVE ON AIR
You're the DJ: choose records for the playlist, 'ad lib' your way through local commercials, and help Steph compose an own original song.

ROLL THE DICE
Give D20-powered advice to callers with problems both serious and mundane, GM a tabletop RPG, and reach out to reconnect with an old friend.

SMALL TOWN PRIDE
Swipe left or right on Steph's dating app matches, and join Steph as she reminisces about formative Prides past.

ALL-NEW SOUNDTRACK
Hits from Girl in Red, Alt-J, Portugal, Hayley Kiyoko, Maribou State, and more set the tone for Steph's journey.

LIFE IS STRANGE REMASTERED
Experience the BAFTA award-winning story of Life is Strange, now beautifully remastered with enhanced visuals and vastly improved animation using mocap technology. Play as Max Caulfield, a photography senior who discovers she can rewind time while saving her best friend Chloe Price. The pair soon find themselves investigating the mysterious disappearance of fellow student Rachel Amber, uncovering a dark side to life in Arcadia Bay.

LIFE IS STRANGE: BEFORE THE STORM REMASTERED
Life is Strange: Before the Storm returns with remastered visuals across characters and environments. Set three years before Life is Strange, you play as sixteen-year-old Chloe Price who forms an unlikely friendship with Rachel Amber, a popular girl destined for success. When Rachel learns a secret about her family that threatens to destroy her world, it is her newfound friendship with Chloe that gives her the strength to carry on.

Looks pretty good, and there's even a extra 'episode' about Steph to show how she ended up in Haven that almost certainly includes more BtS characters in minor roles.

Seems like this is very much in the vein of the original, everything from setting, music, to overal sense of weirdness. Looks very promising overall. The soundtrack for LiS1 was lightning in a bottle, I can remember several songs easily. The second one was good but more acoustics to set the lonely road aesthetics and I couldn't tell you a single song or lyric.

$60 for True Colors is either going to help or hurt given that it's a complete game. Didn't the original LiS games start at $40 on release for the 'whole game'

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 18, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

The video introduced her as a romance option

Good to hear, she was severely underused in BtS in my opinion.

I’m curious if the remakes will also get the actors back to record any new dialogue (or possibly re-record some of the old stuff if necessary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

New thread bitches! I am hype.