Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PunkBoy posted:

I'd rather the game focus on family and racial issues than another mystery, tbh.

Yeah I like the game being about those things, I don't think a mystery or major villain beyond "the cops" is necessary. Plus you can't get more villainous than the cops anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I like the game being about those things, I don't think a mystery or major villain beyond "the cops" is necessary. Plus you can't get more villainous than the cops anyway

Fair, there does seem to be something going on with their mom though (the bully at the beginning mentions her bailing on them if you question Daniel outside and Sean really doesn't seem to like thinking about her) so I wouldn't be surprised if she turns up later down the line.

I agree this story doesn't really need a villain though (not really sure how you could even have a central antagonist anyway beyond the police given the current set up). Instead I can see them doing small encounters like with Hank in this episode that gradually increase in intensity as we move closer to the end. But yeah, as mentioned this game is pulling from a new set of influences rather than the last two which were basically just Twin Peaks with a few aspects from other works thrown in for good measure (though some of the influences LiS 2 is drawing from kind of make me worry about Daniel a little bit).

I also wouldn't mind expanding the party a bit as the game goes on (Chris and Lyla are prime candidates in that regard). But the problem with that is that adding more people might mess with the family dynamic this game seems to be going for (but then again, it could also create a completely different sort of family).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 3, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I thought about it and there's no way Lyla won't join the party. She appears way too much and has too strong of a connection to the brothers to not be around for the long haul

And I can't wait for her because she owns

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I thought about it and there's no way Lyla won't join the party. She appears way too much and has too strong of a connection to the brothers to not be around for the long haul

And I can't wait for her because she owns

Yeah, she's practically their sister and would fit neatly into the whole dynamic the two have going on. They also established her way too much in the first episode (even before we met Daniel actually) for her to just be a one-off so no, we definitely haven't seen the last of her. My guess is she runs away and goes out looking for the boys, eventually winding up on the run alongside them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

Yeah, she's practically their sister and would fit neatly into the whole dynamic the two have going on. They also established her way too much in the first episode (even before we met Daniel actually) for her to just be a one-off so no, we definitely haven't seen the last of her. My guess is she runs away and goes out looking for the boys, eventually winding up on the run alongside them.

The boyfriend/girlfriend stuff with Lyla and Daniel was super adorable and provided a very good dynamic between the three of them so I really hope she comes back. I'm curious how they'll reintroduce her though. They're pretty drat far away at this point

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I feel like Chris is basically a given to join the party, considering he's clearly unhappy at home. I can't help but wonder if we might wind up investigating what happened to his mother along the way, though - maybe it'll turn into The Incredible Hulk where we solve people's problems before moving on to stay one step ahead of the cops.

I'm not sure about Lyla, though, considering there's players who didn't even talk to her, maybe even at all, after things went south. I wonder if she might maybe join us down in Mexico, though - maybe there's certain decisions that might influence that sort of thing. Didn't Sean's lighter have a Puertos Lobos logo on it? I seem to recall that lead to him & Lyla briefly talking about it. Maybe if you keep enough in touch, she figures it out and comes to join you, whereas if you sever contact she doesn't. Of course, it's also possible the cops might also track us down through her, so you have to balance it out. I could see her get a side game from Deck Nine, which I would also gladly accept.

Either that or there will be no characters that carry over, and it will just be Sean & Daniel as the sole characters who are in every episode. That does seem to be what they were going for, but I could see them changing their mind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Lyla either way. In fact, not being able to reach Sean for a while might give her even more incentive to try and track them down.

I'm positive we're linking back up with Captain Spirit in the next episode though (it's winter, Daniel is learning to control his new powers and the boys are still in Oregon). The question is how long will Chris be sticking around for after that (I imagine at least an episode or two given the stuff we've already learned about him). Hell, he and Daniel could be superhero buddies together.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 4, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The guilt Sean feels for leaving Lyla behind is really dramatically interesting and relatable. I liked her, but her absence is really poignant and I don't want to lose that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

Fair but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Lyla either way. In fact, not being able to reach Sean for a while might give her even more incentive to try and track them down.

I'm positive we're linking back up with Captain Spirit in the next episode though (it's winter, Daniel is learning to control his new powers and the boys are still in Oregon). The question is how long will Chris be sticking around for after that (I imagine at least an episode or two given the stuff we've already learned about him). Hell, he and Daniel could be superhero buddies together.

I think he's just going to be around for episode 2.

After seeing the datamined model of Max and the achievement names for episode 3, I'm think episode 2 is a team-up with Chris, then episode 3 is a team-up with Max, who'll have blue hair if Chloe's dead and her normal hair if she's alive.

Basically I think this...

Yvonmukluk posted:

I feel like Chris is basically a given to join the party, considering he's clearly unhappy at home. I can't help but wonder if we might wind up investigating what happened to his mother along the way, though - maybe it'll turn into The Incredible Hulk where we solve people's problems before moving on to stay one step ahead of the cops.

...is what's going to happen, a sort of joining up with a different character each episode before moving on to the next.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

I think he's just going to be around for episode 2.

After seeing the datamined model of Max and the achievement names for episode 3, I'm think episode 2 is a team-up with Chris, then episode 3 is a team-up with Max, who'll have blue hair if Chloe's dead and her normal hair if she's alive.

To clarify, the model in question was found in a Pre-Production folder and may have just been created to test the engine (though the fact they bothered to create two separate models for her does lead some more credence to her showing up at some point). I'd be down for that if it turned out to be true though.

There are also achievements in Episode 2 that seem to make direct reference to Max, Chloe and Rachel so I'm guessing the Arcadia Bay scene in this episode won't be the only Season 1 nod we're getting (not to mention the fact the datamine has files for an audio conversation between Max & Chloe and Max & Warren).

I doubt we're getting any Before the Storm references though since A: it wasn't made by DontNod (though they did personally approve most of the story points) and B: That was 6 years ago in the current timeline so I'm not sure what they possibly could reference to be honest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 4, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Short of Chloe literally just saying Rachel's in a conversation, I can't imagine how they could tie Rachel into anything.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Imagine if they meet Rachel's mom.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Imagine if their estranged mum is Rachel's mum. Drama!

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, I agree that we'll definitely be seeing Lyla again. Between Sean's relationship with her, Daniel having a crush on her, how strongly her character has been established, Sean calling her (possibly) before throwing away his phone, she is going to show up again.

I'm guessing that she will find out where Sean and Daniel are at some point, and then just show up at some dramatic moment. As the game supposedly takes place over the period of a year, she could leave at the end of her school year and have no particular hurry in going back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but out of curiousity has anyone tried the mobile version of Before the Storm that came out recently? If so how is it in comparison to the console/PC version and did they add anything extra to it (for example the port of the original had stickers, a free photo mode and the ability to swap between Max's various outfits whenever you wanted)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back on topic there's something I discovered recently. When you're at the river, follow the bushes on the right and you'll eventually find this (it's a little past the log Daniel rolls up for the base but before the river):

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 5, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Presumably, the woman in the picture is Sean and Daniel's mom.

Why would you think that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Why would you think that?

Because I'm pretty sure the man in the photo is their dad (looks sort of similar anyway) but I could be wrong. I forget what Sean actually says when you look at it so if someone wants to check on that feel free.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Back on topic there's something I discovered recently. When you're at the river, follow the bushes on the right and you'll eventually find this (it's a little past the log Daniel rolls up for the base but before the river):

Presumably, the woman in the picture is Sean and Daniel's mom.

So a random park 100 miles from where Sean's family lived happens to have a picture of his mom laying on the ground? This is extremely unlikely.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Larryb posted:

Because I'm pretty sure the man in the photo is their dad (looks sort of similar anyway) but I could be wrong. I forget what Sean actually says when you look at it so if someone wants to check on that feel free.

He says "Hope they had a better time than us."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

He says "Hope they had a better time than us."

Ah, nevermind then (though I'm still betting the mom's going to show up eventually).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 5, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, it's just a random couple.

Off the subject but the LiS 2 soundtrack is now available on Spotify (just the tracks from the first episode at the moment though).

Unrelated to this but something I for some reason just noticed, in BtS Episode 2 if you choose the tattoo option after the play Chloe will draw a star tattoo on Rachel's wrist and make her promise to get a real one later. Well, apparently that's canon:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 6, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Im extremely curious why you think a photo in the middle of goddamn nowhere would be of their dad

Larryb posted:

Looking at the photo again it's possible that the couple in question could be Charles and Emily (Chris' parents) as you can also find their names scrawled onto a bench in the picnic area early on.

Lmao what?

Maybe its a photo of Max's parents???? Meaning that they went there on vacation and Max is actually closeby. She is confirmed to pick the brothers up in Episode 2 you heard it here first

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 6, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Im extremely curious why you think a photo in the middle of goddamn nowhere would be of their dad

Lmao what?

Maybe its a photo of Max's parents???? Meaning that they went there on vacation and Max is actually closeby. She is confirmed to pick the brothers up in Episode 2 you heard it here first

Yeah in retrospect it doesn't make sense, I just thought the guy looked a bit like their dad and jumped to conclusions. The hair's the wrong color to be Chris' dad either so nevermind, my mistake (the names of Chris and his family can be found on one of the picnic tables though).

Off the subject but I'm currently doing an rear end in a top hat run of the entire series (or as close as you can get in some episodes) going chronologically from Farewell to Captain Spirit (and continuing on concurrently with my main run of LiS 2 as future episodes come out) while intentionally picking the worst choices possible (though for the endings I'm just doing the opposite of whatever I did in my main playthrough. Which in this case would be: don't tell Chloe you're leaving in Farewell, hide the truth at the end of BtS and Sacrifice Chloe at the end of the original) . It doesn't feel good but it is sort of interesting seeing what some of the less ideal choices in the game get you.

For example, in the first game if you don't take the blame for Chloe's weed she'll get pissed at you and storm out alone, slightly changing the conversation at the end of Episode 1 (as well as pushing the reveal of her having David's gun back to the following episode, which for some reason is still treated as if Max already knew about it). Also if you got Pompidou hurt Frank will be somewhat less aggressive towards you in Episode 4 (plus this way it's impossible to kill him if you screw up during the conversation, Chloe will just shoot him in the leg instead).

In BtS, Steph's text to you about Wells in the first episode will be slightly different depending on whether or not you played/finished the D&D game (also Chloe comes off as a little mean spirited if you abandon the game midway through but fortunately Steph and Mikey don't hold it against you) as will Victoria's in Episode 3 depending on how you did during the play in the previous one.

Finally in LiS 2, Daniel will actually start attacking you a little bit if you say the wrong things during the final scene at the hotel and if Chris' arms are uncovered at the end of Captain Spirit Mrs. Reynolds will notice the bruise, changing the conversation with the dad at the end slightly as well as explicitly making it clear that he's the one who gave it to Chris. Ironically, there are actually more opportunities for Max to be a dick in Season 1 than there are for Chloe in BtS.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 9, 2018

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Larryb posted:

Finally in LiS 2, Daniel will actually start attacking you a little bit if you say the wrong things during the final scene at the hotel

I hesitated at his first question, and he screamed 'SAY SOMETHING, YOU rear end in a top hat' and hurled a mug at me, which scared the crap out of me; I had no idea it was timed! Daniel fights harder when you try to hug him if you screw up your answers, too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rith posted:

I hesitated at his first question, and he screamed 'SAY SOMETHING, YOU rear end in a top hat' and hurled a mug at me, which scared the crap out of me; I had no idea it was timed! Daniel fights harder when you try to hug him if you screw up your answers, too.

Yeah, Daniel is actually a little scary during that scene to be honest. Which might be an omen for later depending on how they ultimately handle his powers as the kid is basically a living storm now (hell, at the beginning when his powers first awakened he wound up leveling a house and killing a cop).

Hell if you think about it this has the potential to be even more dangerous in the immediate sense than Max's power was in the first game. It's clear from the preview and Captain Spirit that he eventually learns to control it somewhat but I still wouldn't be surprised if it winds up causing some problems later down the road.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 8, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The problems with the drawing mechanic have apparently now been fixed:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1049339079211532288?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Also considering the rather destructive nature of Daniel's powers and the fact that these are apparently the main sources of inspiration for this game I'm curious now if the final choice in Episode 5 will wind up being whether or not to put our little brother down (Give yourself up/Run for the border is another possibility as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 8, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Good. Maybe I'll actually finish a drawing in the next episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Good. Maybe I'll actually finish a drawing in the next episode.

Speaking of which, do we have any idea of what LiS 2's release schedule is going to be like yet (I beleive the original game had new episodes every two months or so)?

I'm guessing December at the earliest (maybe late November), which in this case would ironically line up with the time Episode 2 actually takes place around. I'm not sure how old the actors are exactly but I'm going to assume that Roman George (Daniel) and Chandler Mantione (Chris) are still young enough that there's no risk of them hitting puberty before the game is finished and as such potentially needing to be replaced

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 9, 2018

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Yvonmukluk posted:

And they're releaseing an annotated guide to Blackwell Academy.

SirKibbles posted:

I will let the thread know if it's any good remind me when it comes out.

Haven't read it all yet so I'll get to that later but I just wanted to point out

The size difference between this and the other art books

In both size and page count

is massive (also it's by titan too didn't notice when I bought it)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, forgot that was out already (or that the first game had an art book as well). Anything particularly interesting in there? Also, does it mention anyone from BtS and/or Chris' mom?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Larryb posted:

Huh, forgot that was out already (or that the first game had an art book as well). Anything particularly interesting in there? Also, does it mention anyone from BtS and/or Chris' mom?

Ok so it's like one of those books where you flip it over and it's another book so one side is the Blackwell Academy student guide

Rachel and Chloe (and later Max) write all over it apparently it's in the library so you get cameo's from Victoria and Nathan (book really reminded me just HOW much of an rear end Nathan and Vic are) The Rachel and Chloe stuff is after BTS which there's a preface saying it doesn't pick a particular end path (so not clear on if Chloe hid or told the truth,if they're a thing ,suspended or expelled etc) smaller choices do it get picked. Like Chloe does play D&D( Which Max the huge nerd is sad she missed out on) Mikey apparently goes with his brother to whatever school Drew got into (Chloe says he never came back next year) And she teases Victoria writing tea roofie like 10 times (Vic does not like it obviously)

Apparently though Rachel isn't hiding she dresses in punkish stuff because the book does one of those ask the student things and she's just wearing her full BtS concert getup in it

The LiS part seemly takes place after episode 2 (Due to some mean poo poo about Kate Vic says,things Max says about Mark mainly she still is like wow so cool,kind of an rear end, but still cool) but before episode 4. You get a lot of sad comments about stuff Rachel and Chloe wrote from Chloe or Max (Like Rachel saying if we had a 3rd person we could start our own club and Max is like that's sad and Chloe talking about missing her. There's less new stuff we find out from the LiS end it's mostly reaction and commenting on other students/places/teachers (Max commenting on Chloe being in the play for example or unsafe the old mill looked)

The other side is about Arcadia Bay told in the form of a travel guide same format though Max,Rachel,Chloe,Vic&Nathan(who both somehow come off worse than the BW academy part) commenting on stuff. It's got a lot of back ground stuff for the town. Like there are coffee shops and stuff mostly that the campus kids go to (so like any other college town built around a small town) it's not just a fishing/trucking town, new fancy restaurants (gentrification is a big theme in Chloe's comments) It tells us who the mayor and a few of notable people are. Going to post names to see if any references are there

Mayor: Libby Cochran Sheriff: Ronan Newell Chief of police Mitchel Camber James Amber was a prosecutor before becoming DA Kathy Coulson is the woman who owns all the newspapers and her deceased husband is named Keith Coulson

The Sheriff is former FBI apparently and the reason Rachel's missing person poster has the sheriffs office is because all the local cops are in the Prescott' pocket. Principal Wells and Samuel are from the same Blackwell graduating class (1978)

The Prescott are the town's largest employer which to me between them owning the police, Nathan's clean as a whistle rap sheet and Chloe's not so clean one means that Nathan is probably walking from Chloe's murder. Kate's thing would be a whole other case but his lawyer could easily claim self defense and that it was Chloe's gun. Nate might feel guilty but he bends to his father's whims and no way is he going to let the Prescott name be ruined and Max is the only witness to the actual murder(which is going to succcck for her,Sean pays for the scholarships and hopefully he doesn't own the houses or has connects with someone who does because Joyce is about to be homeless she's already behind on payments they could take it. Bay Max is so screwed no one ever talks about this.) But we'll know next month I suppose back to the semi review then.

The Prescotts have a massive Illuminati obelisk on their family mausoleum (red flag as all hell) More totems everywhere

A crow and a bear hmmmm......
You get the myth of how Arcadia Bay was made

Arcadia Bay Guide posted:

The Bay itself was created by a thunderbird defending the shore from angry whales attacking the people there. The thunderbird picked up the whales,hauled them into the air,and dropped them from a tremendous height. The impact the whales made formed a crater into which the sea rushed,forming what we now know as Arcadia Bay.
This is interesting because at first I figured the whales and birds dying were just random nature is pissed stuff but now that I think about it it's only whales and birds that die.

In the middle there's like a mini art section this is more directly concept art as opposed to the other stuff which is concept art dressed up a little more This is just Chloe,Max,Rachel and pictures of the dorm,Rachel's place,(insurance covered the broken table fully)the junkyard. Random thing couldn't really fit anywhere else whereas Max hasn't really thought about religion that much Chloe is apparently Agnostic .

If you own the other two art books there is some overlap but they're bigger photos and higher quality examples:

Can I complain about the LiS 1 lighting engine for a bit? In the above picture Max is clearly Brunette

Cover for the game? Concept art? Still brunette.
In game with any kind of light source? Hazel

All and all if you like the games and you like concept art stuff with a little get it, if not pass. If you have to choose between this and the other two art books get this one. It's cheaper $30 for this vs 20 for bts and like 50 for the original LiS( I am an insane man who really likes concept art books do NOT get the original book. It is small you basically have to get it custom from Squareenix's amazon and that jacks up the price hella high and a good chunk of the art is in the Blackwell guide in better quality)

Have some HotDawgMan and what I would figure is a preview of the art style of the comic since that's also published by Titan comics ( I hope it's not as cartoony as this but I dig the general vibe)

Also one the major themes of LiS is clearly liking skateboarding and tattoos since Max,Chloe,and Sean all like them both.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Glad to hear that at least Mikey and Drew escape death if you choose Chloe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting. Does it mention anything regarding what happened to Steph and/or Samantha? Also since you said the LiS portion takes place after Episode 2 does it specify whether or not Kate is still alive?

Good to have some confirmation that Max didn't kill everyone if you chose the Bae ending though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 11, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

HAWT

DAWG

MAN

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn't the comic being drawn in part by the same woman who did all that fanart for Season One and promotional work for Before the Storm (Afterlaughs)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also in regards to some of your other points, Max doesn't seem to care for skateboarding or tattoos all that much in comparison to Chloe and Sean (as far as I can recall anyway).

As for the expulsion thing, there's a report card you can find in Chloe's room during the first game from 2011 and the game makes it explicit that she was expelled from Blackwell by the time LiS starts. So if you want to try and line this up with BtS I suppose you could say that Chloe was either canonically suspended back then or James actually made good on his offer to try and get her back into Blackwell only for her to get kicked out again the following year (though if you're following the Truth ending, why he would want to help someone who ruined his life, broke up his family and turned his daughter against him is beyond me).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 11, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't think Max cares one way or the other about skateboarding itself, but she totally thinks skater boys are cute

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but it's kind of weird to me that (assuming you chose the Bae ending) Arcadia Bay has basically just been abandoned by the time LiS 2 rolls around (it's been 3 years at that point and as far as we can tell nothing has changed besides a small plaque being put up on the outskirts).

Granted the place was a cesspit that was already dying even before the storm of 2013 and it wouldn't surprise me if Sean Prescott had already bailed on the town before tornado hit but you'd think there would have been some kind of relief effort attempted between Season 1 and the current point.

Also here's some variant covers for the upcoming comic (though personally I prefer the original design):

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1050409318565249024?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Arcadia Bay was about as demolished as a town can get outside of being hit by a nuke. With very few survivors and an already failing economy there wasn't really much to restore.