Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

the media and democratic politicians made a really big propaganda push for neera

some goon said like every msnbc primetime show had a 10 minute+ segment dedicated to neera lol

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's the media.

They're stuck in the sense that they've had a phenomenal increase in viewers, rating, etc. with the pandemic, election, coup, etc. How do they keep people watching TV?

Excessively dramatize Biden's cabinet picks. Mean tweets! Machin's a Democrat is against her! Murkowski is flipping? OMG! :supaburn:

That's wild. I knew it was getting coverage but I had no idea it was being treated like a breaking news event. That adds a lot of context to all the people extremely pissed about the nom falling through on Twitter, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
This is still the dumbest market:

AOC to run in the district numbered 14
New York is redistricting, and this resolves no if her district gets renumbered. You can currently bet on this at 55%, which seems very cheap as New York is losing a congressional seat and the districts have to shake up. This is especially true with the higher numbers, as I believe they start with the same center and count upward.

The rules for this market were almost certainly a mistake in drafting because the New Zealanders behind PredictIt forgot about the whole redistricting thing and over-specified when what they meant to ask was "will AOC run for congress?"

Other dumb (but long-term) markets that I'm already all-in on:

Will the minimum wage be $15 by end of 2021?
Even if passed, the law would almost certainly phase it in, thus resolving this No. Currently at 96%

Will Biden resign in his first term?
Currently at 81% No due to MAGA money. It's 4 years out but pays better than most investments

Which of these ten G20 leaders will leave office next?
Biden currently listed ahead of a bunch of other politicians with actual elections coming up before his. This seems to be similar wishful thinking MAGA money that he'll just resign or die immediately. While you're here you can also bet people like Putin won't leave office next either.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vox Nihili posted:

That's wild. I knew it was getting coverage but I had no idea it was being treated like a breaking news event. That adds a lot of context to all the people extremely pissed about the nom falling through on Twitter, etc.

As far as I know, she's the first and only to not make it which probably has a lot to do with it. And a super easy target for Republicans.

Gucci Loafers has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Mar 4, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

This is still the dumbest market:

AOC to run in the district numbered 14
New York is redistricting, and this resolves no if her district gets renumbered. You can currently bet on this at 55%, which seems very cheap as New York is losing a congressional seat and the districts have to shake up. This is especially true with the higher numbers, as I believe they start with the same center and count upward.

May you expand upon this? Because, this smells like free money.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Which of these ten G20 leaders will leave office next?
Biden currently listed ahead of a bunch of other politicians with actual elections coming up before his. This seems to be similar wishful thinking MAGA money that he'll just resign or die immediately. While you're here you can also bet people like Putin won't leave office next either.

Out of curiosity, how do the "not a deadpool" rules apply to markets like this. The rules don't specify in this market and just indicate that it'll count whoever vacates first. Just pointing out that if death counts, then a little of that movement might be people betting on Biden's health or the rumors that Putin is sick.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

As far as I know, she's the first and only to not make it which probably has a lot to do with it. And a super easy target for Republicans.

Yeah part of the confirmation process is a sort of public hazing of the new administration. They always block at least one of the nominees. Easy to get a scalp when a bunch of your colleagues already have a personal beef with the person.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

May you expand upon this? Because, this smells like free money.
Here's the current district map:

Here's the previous one:

It looks like AOC's current district (14) used to be mostly 7, with parts of 5, 12, and 14. In both cases you can see they start counting with 1 in the far east, and then it's a bit arbitrary how they count up from there (sorta right to left, sorta top to bottom, but inconsistent).

Which makes me think the odds of the number changing are much higher than 55% like the current price implies.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Also I'm already all-in on Dem 2024 Presidential Nominee because the prices are just...off

Namely, current odds for Biden seeking renomination are at 35%, which is crazy low for an incumbent. Similarly, you can buy Kamala Harris no at ~65%. It mostly seems to be fueled by various MAGA beliefs of Biden's imminent demise.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm taking some safe governor money like Phil Murphy remaining the Gov in NJ. I know NJ Dem Govs are historical fuckups but it'll take an out of nowhere big scandal to take him down after he did fairly decently during COVID and the stench of Chris Christie still lingers. Plus he's got Cuomo next door who probably won't get taken down by two bigger scandals. Dude is safe. It's currently at 90c. Terry McAuliffe winning the VA Dem Gov primary is only 87c atm.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Patience does not exist in this dojo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OMB director is the most insane series of markets ughh

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

OMB director is the most insane series of markets ughh

Hope you didn't buy Shalanda at 80c!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

.81 :c00l:

sold almost immediately after in a panic lol, i'm on no now

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

got Shalanda NO at .24 and ditched half of it immediately because I had a bad feeling :v:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
:sigh: I bought 125 Shalanda NOs at 30 cents last night, flipped them at 32 for fun money and almost bought a bunch of NOs at 30 again to hold overnight. I said no, self, don't just be a contrarian and bet on Biden ignoring the house letter and the pundits. Don't just bet on things you think would be funny. And here I am :v:.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1367672496569352197?s=20

Hot take, I'm calling it. Cuomo is out by the end of the year. Get in boys.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Honestly I disagree. I think he's just going to run out the clock. If he wasn't going to resign before, why would he do it now? I don't think state officials resign because of scandals anymore. But honestly I'm just flipping shares at this point with this market.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sounds like a bunch of aides are going down. Cuomo ain't going anywhere, he's a the lib Trump.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Final hat count:

2x black
1x blue
1x piss

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Vox Nihili posted:

Final hat count:

2x black
1x blue
1x piss

Final hat count: 0

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Just checked my mail again and got an offer finally.

It's titled "let's try this swag thing one more time" lol.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Baddog posted:

Just checked my mail again and got an offer finally.

It's titled "let's try this swag thing one more time" lol.
Are you on the daily predictit mailing list by chance? I unsubscribed from that, which might explain the schwag lack

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

would I have received a tax form in the mail by now if I made enough gains in 2020?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wrex Ruckus posted:

would I have received a tax form in the mail by now if I made enough gains in 2020?

They sent it electronically to the email account associated with my PI account. Make sure to check your inbox and probably junk folder as well.

Email was titled: 1099MISC - Important Tax Documents Issued by PredicIt Inc

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

They sent it electronically to the email account associated with my PI account. Make sure to check your inbox and probably junk folder as well.

Email was titled: 1099MISC - Important Tax Documents Issued by PredicIt Inc

never got one of those, I guess I didn't make number go up enough. thanks!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

Are you on the daily predictit mailing list by chance? I unsubscribed from that, which might explain the schwag lack

I am, yep!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

bollig posted:

Honestly I disagree. I think he's just going to run out the clock. If he wasn't going to resign before, why would he do it now? I don't think state officials resign because of scandals anymore. But honestly I'm just flipping shares at this point with this market.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a chance he could run out the clock but I think it's more likely at this point he's pressured out. Remember, half the reason why he was so popular was because the standard in 2020 was merely being better than Trump. That's a low bar.

For the first time ever he's below 50% in public opinion polling. For the last few years, he's just been playing NYC Power Politics and has pissed off so many people and quickly losing allies.

weekly font posted:

Sounds like a bunch of aides are going down. Cuomo ain't going anywhere, he's a the lib Trump.

A quite a few of his long time aides have resigned. I'd agree, he's the lib Trump.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i put my remaining bankroll that cuomo remains governor even though this is the opposite of what i want to happen

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a chance he could run out the clock but I think it's more likely at this point he's pressured out. Remember, half the reason why he was so popular was because the standard in 2020 was merely being better than Trump. That's a low bar.

that's what makes a market!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

i put my remaining bankroll that cuomo remains governor even though this is the opposite of what i want to happen

For a lot of people being an rear end in a top hat bully prick is a feature, not a bug. If there was a market for Cuomo being reelected in a landslide I would be tempted to put money in that. (opposite of what I want to happen)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is GOP taking the house next year at 60 cents a bad buy? Feels like it's just at the point where it wouldn't make you anything if it closed in your favor.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

every election or something like that, there's always a round of psychologists/economists saying that this is basically what you should do. Like if I were to put a shitload of money on Trump winning, well if he were to win, I'd have a bunch of money to temper my existential pain. WHereas if Trump lost you'd be very happy so you wouldn't care as much about the lost money

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

net work error posted:

Is GOP taking the house next year at 60 cents a bad buy? Feels like it's just at the point where it wouldn't make you anything if it closed in your favor.

Seems priced roughly appropriately give or take five or ten cents

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bollig posted:

every election or something like that, there's always a round of psychologists/economists saying that this is basically what you should do. Like if I were to put a shitload of money on Trump winning, well if he were to win, I'd have a bunch of money to temper my existential pain. WHereas if Trump lost you'd be very happy so you wouldn't care as much about the lost money
I explicitly do not bet on things I very much want to happen. I'll happily bet against them though, since I don't feel like my brain is skewing the odds toward my preference

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Made a few bucks off the panic in the Garland market after this morning's vote on Fudge. Could have done a lot better but I wasn't able to follow the vote in realtime. Good stuff.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/emmagf/status/1370035835861614594?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he;lp I have so much cuomo stays

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

i say swears online posted:

he;lp I have so much cuomo stays

40 cents that Cuomo stays is a steal. Of course he stays. I love the markets where I can bet on the opposite of what I want to happen. Cuomo stays, I make money, Cuomo goes and the bullying creepy, corrupt turd goes. Win-win.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

HODL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

40 cents that Cuomo stays is a steal. Of course he stays. I love the markets where I can bet on the opposite of what I want to happen. Cuomo stays, I make money, Cuomo goes and the bullying creepy, corrupt turd goes. Win-win.

he's such an rear end in a top hat that i think BDB demanding he resign is counterproductive

i also paid .62 lol