Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i haven't checked the damage from tonight but i probably broke even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this thread is probably going to go quiet for awhile but 2020... oh boy

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I stayed clear of election bets because I feel like those are way more involved than I have time for in gambling, but my portfolio has been going up with my bets on Germany. The Bundestag dissolving by 2019 is at 50/50 now.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i've still got 3 left to come in tomorrow probably but i turned $8 into $11 so a much better outcome than 2016 where I turned $50 into $8

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

basically broke even on what’s left of my post-2016 funds

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Holy poo poo, man. This election.

I think I have a gambling problem, and I think my gambling problem just paid off.

literally this big has issued a correction as of 13:32 on Nov 7, 2018

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Is there any chance of 53 GOP senate left? :suicide:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Made some good money last night.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

jumped on the sessions question to make a couple cents. that was fun

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Made back Tuesday losses and more, thanks to Sinema

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I made a bunch of money off of election night, but I got greedy and went back in for some too-close-to-call races and now I'm down a few bucks.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with these positions?

I went in on Republicans in both markets because they seemed like sure money on election night, but I'm guessing all the remaining uncounted ballots are giving everyone a panic and/or causing them to think that the Dems will win, and it's really loving with the market. I bought the Democratic positions to hedge my losses. That seems to have been a good idea so far, but who knows where it's gonna go next. Any ideas on how to most gracefully exit these markets, and how to minimize my losses? Any idea who might actually win these races?

literally this big has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Nov 9, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

people are thinking the dems may win because compared to day-of voting, mail in ballots (which they are still counting as they arrive) come from people who work for a living and aren't going to take off time during the workday to go vote in person if they dont have to

i'd get the hell out and not try to pull a win out of it because this sort of thing will have new updated vote totals in the extreme short term with no warning, and if you don't happen to be on predictit at that exact minute you'll miss it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

literally this big posted:

I made a bunch of money off of election night, but I got greedy and went back in for some too-close-to-call races and now I'm down a few bucks.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with these positions?

I went in on Republicans in both markets because they seemed like sure money on election night, but I'm guessing all the remaining uncounted ballots are giving everyone a panic and/or causing them to think that the Dems will win, and it's really loving with the market. I bought the Democratic positions to hedge my losses. That seems to have been a good idea so far, but who knows where it's gonna go next. Any ideas on how to most gracefully exit these markets, and how to minimize my losses? Any idea who might actually win these races?

So I have no idea who will actually win, but California elections are decided weeks after voting day by a daily-updated count of mail-in ballots which always have a moderate dem lean relative to the election day vote. Every day it will get closer and closer. Every election more people use the mail-in option, so it's hard to say how many are outstanding, especially in a weird waveish midterm election like this one. Voters are maaaybe 2/3 counted as of today. Where it will stop, nobody knows.

Good luck!

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Nov 9, 2018

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i put the ten bucks i didnt put on roy moore on barbra comstock losing and made like a buck fifty or something :hellyeah:

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Vox Nihili posted:

So I have no idea who will actually win, but California elections are decided weeks after voting day by a daily-updated count of mail-in ballots which always have a moderate dem lean relative to the election day vote. Every day it will get closer and closer. Every election more people use the mail-in option, so it's hard to say how many are outstanding, especially in a weird waveish midterm election like this one. Voters are maaaybe 2/3 counted as of today. Where it will stop, nobody knows.

I should know this. I worked in the Doug Ose v Ami Bera election. There was literally a picture on the front page of the Sacramento Bee of me, at the county registrar's office, overseeing the ballot counting process, weeks after the election.

:doh:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this week's been a goddamn goldmine

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Don Jr getting indicted 2018 has been cycling pretty aggressively between $.30-.40, pretty profitable cycle to ride.

I bet Nelson in Florida is a pretty good buy low right now; three will probably be recount news that causes a bump at some point regardless of eventual outcome.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I just realized it's mid November and Merkel probably isn't going to leave office by year's end so I dumped my shares. But I'm holding fast that there will be a new parliament by end of 2019 even though I've lost $3 worth of what I've invested in that so far

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
wut happens if ur holding yes shares of a thing and it happens?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

cargo cult posted:

The payout is a dollar per share I think

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cargo cult posted:

The good poo poo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

you get that number of votes into the King of Predictit council of cardinals election OP

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I am level 3 now when do I get fire spells

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I am level 3 now when do I get fire spells

PredictIt.org/legacy for a usable interface.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Successfully closed out my last 12/31/2018-resolving position, time to start riding volatility on the 2020 presidential cycle I think.

Still holding out hope I can take a couple more rides on don jr facing charges in 2018 though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Next speaker market seems ripe for some near term waves, with news like this popping up

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1062787335245520902

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Next speaker market seems ripe for some near term waves, with news like this popping up

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1062787335245520902

Joe Kennedy is the 4th-highest-trading share, where the gently caress are people getting that idea.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Joe Kennedy is the 4th-highest-trading share, where the gently caress are people getting that idea.

Well basically no one knows what the gently caress is going on

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
When is the caucus vote?

The market won’t resolve until the floor vote, but this should be functionally over once the caucus vote happens. The minority already had theirs.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Shear Modulus posted:

I was about to say that Joe Kenney is a good market to get into. Pelosi's leadership isn't guaranteed, and Kennedy is a name that everybody knows (and could get behind). Easy enough to get shares at 2¢ and then try to flip them at 5. Also plenty of opportunity to buy in cheap at 2¢ and sell for more later.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I bought a bunch of "Pelosi will win, death is certain" shares. Hopefully I lose but lol.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
And the only thing a gambler needs
Is Nate Silver and some chuds
And the only time he's satisfied
Is when he's shouting Trump

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I'm worried that PI just ate my money. I must be missing something super obvious, but I just can't figure out what's going on here.

I had some [60-64 No] shares in the current Pence tweet market, and decided to unload them since it looks like that market might actually resolve in a [60-64 Yes]. I had 10 shares I bought at 74¢, and 31 I bought at 55¢. I listed them all at 62¢, and eventually they sold. But the money doesn't show in my available funds?

I went to my account history, and saw this:

Starting with the bottom listing: I had 10 shares I bought at 74, and sold them at 62. I lost 1.20, paid nothing in fees (because I lost money on those shares), my risk in that market went down 7.40 from selling the shares, and my account was credited 6.20 from the sale.

But then...

I also had 31 shares that I bought for 55 and sold for 62. 62 - 55 = 7¢ profit per share. 7 x 31 = $2.17 profit. PI takes their cut of .217. So far so good. But then apparently my risk in that market went up $7.90? And $5.947 was removed from my account for some reason? What?

I just sold 41 shares at 62¢ each. I should now have about $25.42 available in my account, but I only have 49¢ available (and some or all of that was there before the sale).

Sorry if I missed something obvious, it's late at night here and I'm tired. But where's my money? What's going on here?

Edit: So I guess this has something to do with this being a Multiple-Contract Market? Even after reading the About page I still have no idea how this works. What a completely unintuitive system.

literally this big has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Nov 16, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm worried that PI just ate my money. I must be missing something super obvious, but I just can't figure out what's going on here.

I had some [60-64 No] shares in the current Pence tweet market, and decided to unload them since it looks like that market might actually resolve in a [60-64 Yes]. I had 10 shares I bought at 74¢, and 31 I bought at 55¢. I listed them all at 62¢, and eventually they sold. But the money doesn't show in my available funds?

I went to my account history, and saw this:

Starting with the bottom listing: I had 10 shares I bought at 74, and sold them at 62. I lost 1.20, paid nothing in fees (because I lost money on those shares), my risk in that market went down 7.40 from selling the shares, and my account was credited 6.20 from the sale.

But then...

I also had 31 shares that I bought for 55 and sold for 62. 62 - 55 = 7¢ profit per share. 7 x 31 = $2.17 profit. PI takes their cut of .217. So far so good. But then apparently my risk in that market went up $7.90? And $5.947 was removed from my account for some reason? What?

I just sold 41 shares at 62¢ each. I should now have about $25.42 available in my account, but I only have 49¢ available (and some or all of that was there before the sale).

Sorry if I missed something obvious, it's late at night here and I'm tired. But where's my money? What's going on here?

Yeah, the way "risk" works for no contracts in multi-contract markets is a bit complicated. Basically, PI gives you the opportunity to buy multiple no contracts in the same market for the price of the most expensive one, since only one contract can resolve yes. Anything you put in another no will actually reduce your risk, which gives you money back. The issue, then, is when you go to sell those shares, you may be increasing your risk, which takes money away from you. In some circumstances, you won't be able to sell no shares in linked markets because you don't have money free to cover your risk!

As an example, consider a market with 10 linked yes/no contracts, each sitting at 10% yes / 90% no. If you buy 100 noes in a given bracket, you pay $90 for the shares. Simple enough! But now you can buy noes in any of the other 9 brackets and actually reduce your risk, because you'll win on every contract except, at most, for one! Risk even accounts for the amount you would win.

Click on the "Your risk in this market: $xxx.xx" link on any given contract for a chart that breaks this all down.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, the way "risk" works for no contracts in multi-contract markets is a bit complicated. Basically, PI gives you the opportunity to buy multiple no contracts in the same market for the price of the most expensive one, since only one contract can resolve yes. Anything you put in another no will actually reduce your risk, which gives you money back. The issue, then, is when you go to sell those shares, you may be increasing your risk, which takes money away from you. In some circumstances, you won't be able to sell no shares in linked markets because you don't have money free to cover your risk!

As an example, consider a market with 10 linked yes/no contracts, each sitting at 10% yes / 90% no. If you buy 100 noes in a given bracket, you pay $90 for the shares. Simple enough! But now you can buy noes in any of the other 9 brackets and actually reduce your risk, because you'll win on every contract except, at most, for one! Risk even accounts for the amount you would win.

Click on the "Your risk in this market: $xxx.xx" link on any given contract for a chart that breaks this all down.

So I read thru this multiple times, and all I can say is: wut. :psyduck:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So I read thru this multiple times, and all I can say is: wut. :psyduck:

Yeah I'm exhausted after working all loving day so my explanation is probably a bit wanting, but you can go here for a hopefully-cogent explanation under "MULTIPLE-CONTRACT MARKETS": https://www.predictit.org/legacy/About/FAQ

It's pretty complicated but once you get the basics it becomes fairly intuitive and opens up a whole new style of betting.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the idea is that multiple no bets are also insurance against each other. it reduces the maximum you can lose (since you can only lose on at most one of the contracts and will win money on all others) so they give you the room back to bet with.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

speaking of losing money i bailed out on "will avenatti run" when it crashed from like 60 to 20 a few days ago but was too busy to gently caress around on the internet yesterday when he came out bigly against it and the waters got muddied lmao

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What’s the consensus on doubling down on a bet in more than one market?

I currently have yes shares of Pelosi for speaker, as well shares of no on more than 26 votes against her on the floor.

They’re pretty much the same bet: either Pelosi will be speaker, in which case she will not have 26 democratic votes against her on the floor, or she will not be speaker, in which case way more than 26 Democrats will vote for someone either than Pelosi for speaker on the floor. (Voting present doesn’t count as a vote against in the rules.)

Looking at it now though it seems like I should pick the one with a better return and just do that one. I’m not trying to do some ultra-specific parlay bet here that she becomes speaker with an exact amount of opposition on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

What’s the consensus on doubling down on a bet in more than one market?

I currently have yes shares of Pelosi for speaker, as well shares of no on more than 26 votes against her on the floor.

They’re pretty much the same bet: either Pelosi will be speaker, in which case she will not have 26 democratic votes against her on the floor, or she will not be speaker, in which case way more than 26 Democrats will vote for someone either than Pelosi for speaker on the floor. (Voting present doesn’t count as a vote against in the rules.)

Looking at it now though it seems like I should pick the one with a better return and just do that one. I’m not trying to do some ultra-specific parlay bet here that she becomes speaker with an exact amount of opposition on the floor.

The specific vote count one is more technical and there's an off-chance it gets weird. Otherwise, yeah, if you have a strong opinion about the outcome than more exposure is fine, it just means you're basically all or nothing on it (and it let's you circumvent the $850 per contract limit, if that's an issue).