Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

who the gently caress are these people buying booker and klobuchar

why is harris ranked first

PI markets that won't resolve for years generally self-select for idiots. None of the ~serious players~ bother with that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

the $25 i put in is currently down :siren: $1.30 :siren:

jesus christ this is even worse than fantasy football

i'm stressing over losing less than two mcdonald's hamburgers

come on beto get a good poll, I need to make .9($.40) off your race

Toss in $500, you'll be feeling gr8 in no time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

literally this big posted:

I made a bunch of money off of election night, but I got greedy and went back in for some too-close-to-call races and now I'm down a few bucks.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with these positions?

I went in on Republicans in both markets because they seemed like sure money on election night, but I'm guessing all the remaining uncounted ballots are giving everyone a panic and/or causing them to think that the Dems will win, and it's really loving with the market. I bought the Democratic positions to hedge my losses. That seems to have been a good idea so far, but who knows where it's gonna go next. Any ideas on how to most gracefully exit these markets, and how to minimize my losses? Any idea who might actually win these races?

So I have no idea who will actually win, but California elections are decided weeks after voting day by a daily-updated count of mail-in ballots which always have a moderate dem lean relative to the election day vote. Every day it will get closer and closer. Every election more people use the mail-in option, so it's hard to say how many are outstanding, especially in a weird waveish midterm election like this one. Voters are maaaybe 2/3 counted as of today. Where it will stop, nobody knows.

Good luck!

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Nov 9, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cargo cult posted:

wut happens if ur holding yes shares of a thing and it happens?

The good poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I am level 3 now when do I get fire spells

PredictIt.org/legacy for a usable interface.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Joe Kennedy is the 4th-highest-trading share, where the gently caress are people getting that idea.

Well basically no one knows what the gently caress is going on

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I bought a bunch of "Pelosi will win, death is certain" shares. Hopefully I lose but lol.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm worried that PI just ate my money. I must be missing something super obvious, but I just can't figure out what's going on here.

I had some [60-64 No] shares in the current Pence tweet market, and decided to unload them since it looks like that market might actually resolve in a [60-64 Yes]. I had 10 shares I bought at 74˘, and 31 I bought at 55˘. I listed them all at 62˘, and eventually they sold. But the money doesn't show in my available funds?

I went to my account history, and saw this:

Starting with the bottom listing: I had 10 shares I bought at 74, and sold them at 62. I lost 1.20, paid nothing in fees (because I lost money on those shares), my risk in that market went down 7.40 from selling the shares, and my account was credited 6.20 from the sale.

But then...

I also had 31 shares that I bought for 55 and sold for 62. 62 - 55 = 7˘ profit per share. 7 x 31 = $2.17 profit. PI takes their cut of .217. So far so good. But then apparently my risk in that market went up $7.90? And $5.947 was removed from my account for some reason? What?

I just sold 41 shares at 62˘ each. I should now have about $25.42 available in my account, but I only have 49˘ available (and some or all of that was there before the sale).

Sorry if I missed something obvious, it's late at night here and I'm tired. But where's my money? What's going on here?

Yeah, the way "risk" works for no contracts in multi-contract markets is a bit complicated. Basically, PI gives you the opportunity to buy multiple no contracts in the same market for the price of the most expensive one, since only one contract can resolve yes. Anything you put in another no will actually reduce your risk, which gives you money back. The issue, then, is when you go to sell those shares, you may be increasing your risk, which takes money away from you. In some circumstances, you won't be able to sell no shares in linked markets because you don't have money free to cover your risk!

As an example, consider a market with 10 linked yes/no contracts, each sitting at 10% yes / 90% no. If you buy 100 noes in a given bracket, you pay $90 for the shares. Simple enough! But now you can buy noes in any of the other 9 brackets and actually reduce your risk, because you'll win on every contract except, at most, for one! Risk even accounts for the amount you would win.

Click on the "Your risk in this market: $xxx.xx" link on any given contract for a chart that breaks this all down.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So I read thru this multiple times, and all I can say is: wut. :psyduck:

Yeah I'm exhausted after working all loving day so my explanation is probably a bit wanting, but you can go here for a hopefully-cogent explanation under "MULTIPLE-CONTRACT MARKETS": https://www.predictit.org/legacy/About/FAQ

It's pretty complicated but once you get the basics it becomes fairly intuitive and opens up a whole new style of betting.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

What’s the consensus on doubling down on a bet in more than one market?

I currently have yes shares of Pelosi for speaker, as well shares of no on more than 26 votes against her on the floor.

They’re pretty much the same bet: either Pelosi will be speaker, in which case she will not have 26 democratic votes against her on the floor, or she will not be speaker, in which case way more than 26 Democrats will vote for someone either than Pelosi for speaker on the floor. (Voting present doesn’t count as a vote against in the rules.)

Looking at it now though it seems like I should pick the one with a better return and just do that one. I’m not trying to do some ultra-specific parlay bet here that she becomes speaker with an exact amount of opposition on the floor.

The specific vote count one is more technical and there's an off-chance it gets weird. Otherwise, yeah, if you have a strong opinion about the outcome than more exposure is fine, it just means you're basically all or nothing on it (and it let's you circumvent the $850 per contract limit, if that's an issue).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Utah 4th market sitting right at 50/50 now. It's coming down to whether the last batch of provisional ballots from Salt Lake City tips just Democratic enough to push McAdams over the top.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

lmao I had not read the comments until this market, this unhinged sweaty nerdfighting is well worth the $16 I irresponsibly risked on this venture

The comments are typically 60% hapless chuds raging out, 30% pure trolling/bait, and 10% whales styling on the chuds/idiots/trolls and bragging about winning.

Oftentimes you can tell when a market is ripe by the sheer volume of chudspam. They almost universally just pick the Republican to win/outperform regardless of anything else

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Espy has been available in the 4-6c range tonight. Haven't bought any myself (since I'm tied up in Pelosi etc.) but it's a pretty drat good value on a race that's probably closer to 80-20. Lottery tickets, etc.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
MS runoff markets have some volume going

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Lol the GOP senator market.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

man if this is the level of the average PI player i should really start trading again

The average PI player is even worse but the average PI $ is much, much, much smarter.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Anyone else ready to relive 2015?

https://www.predictit.org/legacy/Contract/7717/Will-Joe-Biden-run-for-president-in-2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
They just added Yang to the Dem Presidential Primary market. Negative risk hoarders can presently pick up Yang No for only 93c!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

So since they'll add Yang but not Gabbard or anyone else that's declared, does that mean it's not a "locked" market (which is a really dumb hardstance regardless)?

I don't know what that means but I expect them to add some of the other candidates at some point.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Biden No available for 9c. Apparently he's pushing back any launch until "after Easter" and is considering a "one-term pledge."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bawfuls posted:

these all seem like indicators he's still gonna do it tho

i'm in that market but i can't bring myself to dive in deeper even at 9c

i'm just not sure he can resist the sirens call of all those polls showing him in the lead

This is like the fifth time he's pushed back the launch date, which is similar to his endless foot-dragging in 2016. I don't think that's a good indicator for a launch. The rest reads like someone trying to come to terms with a lot of criticism. Biden seems painfully aware of his weaknesses.

Anyway, he could definitely still run at any moment, but for 9c I'm on the "let's just do it and be legends" train.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

define deep? and your reasoning?

what else are you into?

I don't know about that guy but I'm 4,000 shares deep on Biden Run No, some purchased for as little as 4c (bulk at 9c). Might start selling off a bit if the price keeps rising, it's in the 15c range and almost no one is buying yes anymore.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

"let's just do it and be legends"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CassandraZara posted:

Just wanna say you're doing God's work trolling the comment section, Vox.

It's been fun, but god I wish I had just pushed all-in below 10c.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CassandraZara posted:

Finally took my profit at 40c, average buy-in of 11. Gonna play the yo-yo a bit but I think he's more determined to run than ever.

Smart move.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CassandraZara posted:

This is definitely addictive. I've basically made more than my day job this year so far just by taking the long-shot position on whether X candidate runs, even if Hillary and Oprah decide not to run.

Flipping 1c shares up to 3c or something thereabouts?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Biden is set to announce Thursday. I sold all my old No shares ages ago, but my God he's such a coward.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The biggest debate bump market had a wacky result. Based on their use of Rasmussen, Tulsi edges out Booker for the biggest bump ( 2.51% rounded up to a 3% gain over her prior 0% result). She wasn't among the contracts listed, so the field won and all contracts resolved No. Anyone playing the negative risk game made out like a bandit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Debate mention markets are back, baby!

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/5870/Will-a-Houston-debate-candidate-mention-Sharpie

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/5871/Will-a-Houston-debate-candidate-mention-mandatory-buyback

Time to get degenerate!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Made ~$500 on these, the mandatory buyback market in particular was hilarious.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr. Dick posted:

Is there an entry for homeless people being forced into military conscription?

Not yet.

Note: post below reserved for Tercio.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The CHUDs are getting frothy again and think Hillary is going to run. It's free real estate.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/4614/Will-Hillary-Clinton-run-for-president-in-2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bawfuls posted:

only trouble is that market won’t close for like another year

Yep. The hope is that after the registration deadlines etc. pass it will trend to 99c or thereabouts. I already have my sell orders set.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CassandraZara posted:

Finally sold my “Will Hillary run” shares @ 21c, which I felt like an idiot for buying at 12c many months ago.

Making money by flipping insane bargain bets up to crazy people is the best part of Predictit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

picking up some Hillary yes for a laugh

Theres a thriving marketplace of people buying Hillary yes for cheap and flipping them upwards when the CHUD contingent stumbles upon the contract. High risk work, but their demand is loving insatiable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Made $300 on the Kentucky margin of victory market for tonight. Looking at the Mississippi margin market and wondering if I should dive in.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Made $300 on the Kentucky margin of victory market for tonight. Looking at the Mississippi margin market and wondering if I should dive in.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
It isn't yet clear to me if Bloomberg is going to actually file with the FEC (which is the basis for market resolution). The filing today may just be a necessary step to keep his options open.

My guess is that he does file, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hillary Run is spiking again, if anyone wants to hop on the No train.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/4614/Will-Hillary-Clinton-run-for-president-in-2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Benchmarks for the Louisiana election tonight.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1195852155510493184