Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It was confirmed about an hour ago: everyone at Telltale games has been laid off, save for about a dozen people who are finishing up the last Walking Dead game. Wolf Among Us 2 and Stranger Things, which were both mostly finished, will never be.

It wasn’t entirely unexpected (they had to lay off about 1/3 of their staff about a year ago, and they still couldn’t recover financially) they’ve been hemorrhaging money for years because they invested so much money and effort making games for entertainment properties that took a huge cut of their already-dwindling sales- IIRC WB Games and Disney took over half of the proceeds from Batman and Guardians of the Galaxy, respectively. I haven’t really played any of their games for several years, but I enjoyed their Homestar Runner and Back to the Future games, and played a lot of their poker stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pour one out for feels gaming.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tales from the Borderlands sounds impossible to be good and yet it is. Kinda bummed about this even tho most of their games were mediocre to diarrhea dog shits. Dontnod kind of ate their lunch in the chill feelsy narrative game genre, so at least I still have that.... for now

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Huh cool. Didn't know wolf among us was getting a sequel

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Dontnod kind of ate their lunch in the chill feelsy narrative game genre, so at least I still have that.... for now

Dontnod and feels games will be fine. Telltale made games really fast and cheaply which means that sometimes when they had the right people working on a project it turned out really good, and then immediately after it came out the ones who made it good would leave lol. Happened to both Borderlands and TWD Season 1.

There's pretty clearly a demand for this kind of game if they're good, I think this is mostly just people getting tired of Telltale's output and not cause these kind of games don't sell.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

drat, I’m sorry.

Sorry it didn’t die sooner!

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I have never played a single one of these games and I never will

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

drat now their humble bundles are gonna be even cheaper I should've waited lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

gently caress you tells tales games for making the aqfil sam and max reboot which i played for 10 minites and never played again

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

So no sam and max season 4 then huh?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They died when they released The Walking Dead Season 2

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

why would you want that after season 3

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Fellfail Games.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

but really, what a devastating loss in the world of interactive fiction

..for me to poop on!

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Walking Dead season 1 was awesome but they clearly stretched themselves too thin across too many licenses. Not sure if they also over-hired for a demand that would ultimately be satiated but either way, condolences to everyone that lost their jobs as a result.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

RIP to all my free plats

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Plebian Parasite posted:

No sam only chloe now

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I’m just upset we never got Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People season 2.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I’m just upset we never got Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People season 2.

It was a fun adventure game and will be missed.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
TOXIC MANAGEMENT COST AN AWARD-WINNING GAME STUDIO ITS BEST DEVELOPERS
Mar 20, 2018
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

By September 2017, Telltale had named a new CEO: former SVP and GM of games at Zynga, Pete Hawley. His hiring came with its fair share of trepidation.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Aw, they were pretty uneven but I liked most of their games that I played. That’s a bummer

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Poker Night at the Inventory 1 and 2 were fun, sometimes I'll rewatch compilation videos of the characters saying stuff.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Poker Night at the Inventory 1 and 2 were fun, sometimes I'll rewatch compilation videos of the characters saying stuff.

Poker Night 2 got removed from sale on digital stores a few days ago and it mostly flew under the radar, so I guess we can expect more of their stuff to vanish soon :/

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Apparently the 25 or so ppl still at Telltale are working on the Minecraft project and not TWD, which will now remain unfinished

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I barely like Batman in general but the first season of Batman was pretty cool. RIP

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/Binkysaur/status/1043263777477517312

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The weirdest bit of news to come out of this is that the only game they made that ever turned a profit was Minecraft Story Mode

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
They didnt even come remotely close to making a game I wanted to play, but it's cool that they... did.. whatever it is adventure gaming people like

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

They didnt even come remotely close to making a game I wanted to play, but it's cool that they... did.. whatever it is adventure gaming people like

Adventure gaming people like German games about talking to elves I think

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

The weirdest bit of news to come out of this is that the only game they made that ever turned a profit was Minecraft Story Mode

I think I heard that TWD Season 1 did too but yea everything else was propped up by investor money.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I guess the lesson here is don't make 1000 deals with various megacorps that will take a majority percentage of your sales

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

They werent good at that either

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Looking back I'm actually shocked they survived as long as they did.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember the game awards with Joel Mchale drunk on a couch incredulously interviewing telltale when they announced 4 games at once

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Rolfe Among Us S2 had the most potential out of their working titles. It's the only one with a somewhat interesting premise even tho it was just TwizTeD FaiRyTaLeZ

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Looking back I'm actually shocked they survived as long as they did.

They probably sold a bunch of the Minecraft game on other platforms but yea that feels accurate. I'm kinda shocked they made another Batman game after the first one tanked.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

We’re never gonna get Radical Heights Story Mode

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The Rolfe Among Us

Those retards could have made an AVGN adventure game... Imagine how epic 'twould be!

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ive never heard or seen anything about the guardians of the galaxy game

• Locked thread